Noro Outbreak on Constellation - Current Cruise 1/3-12/12/2024

Jim_Iain

CDC has reported and Outbreak on Celebrity Constellation
image.thumb.png.04e8b8185b24e93c74bdc2e32677c180.png

I have heard from some friends on the ship that are on a B2B that they have to pack-up so their CS can be fumigated during B2B.   All B2B must disembark and will be bussed to a Local Mall and not expect to return to the ship until well after noon.    A cc member joining the ship have indicated they received a text saying not to show up at the terminal until after 12:30

CDC will be coming aboard and will have to clear ship prior to boarding.  

CDC reports outbreaks when 3% or more of passengers or crew report symptoms to the Ship's Medical Staff so would not include those that don't self report. 

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

• Jim_Iain changed the title to Noro Outbreak on Constellation - Current Cruise 1/3-12/12/2024
9 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I have heard from some friends on the ship that are on a B2B that they have to pack-up so their CS can be fumigated during B2B.   All B2B must disembark and will be bussed to a Local Mall and not expect to return to the ship until well after noon.    A cc member joining the ship have indicated they received a text saying not to show up at the terminal until after 12:30

CDC reports outbreaks when 3% or more of passengers or crew report symptoms to the Ship's Medical Staff so would not include those that don't self report. 

From the CDC Website on protecting yourselves:

If you’re sick, report your illness.

Before your voyage:
– Ask your cruise line if there are alternative cruising options.
– Consult a doctor to find out whether it is safe for you to sail.

During your voyage, call the ship’s medical facility and follow the medical staff’s recommendations.

Wash your hands often!

Why: Avoid exposing yourself and others to anything that may cause illnesses and spread germs.

When: Wash your hands often but especially after using the toilet and before eating or smoking.

Take care of yourself.

Get plenty of rest and drink plenty of water.

Why: Resting helps rebuild your immune system. Drinking water helps prevent dehydration.

Leave the area if you see someone get sick (vomiting or diarrhea).

Report it to cruise staff if they are not already aware.

I've seen other sites say to avoid the buffet and after ordering in a restaurant, wash your hands.  I never thought about the last item.  The menu cover may look clean, but as a former waiter, I know they are not sanitized between diners, they only wipe them clean.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

This is why I really wished that they had kept the practice of having the ship staff serve in the cafe. It just makes sense when you are dealing with that many people around that much food and that many utensils. I am glad that Celebrity is that diligent about reporting and cleaning. 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

44 minutes ago, ScottC4746 said:

after ordering in a restaurant, wash your hands.

We either do that or use hand sanitizer. We also bring food-service grade gloves for the buffet because the utensils are probably the dirtiest things on the ship.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, larry_s_taco said:

This is why I really wished that they had kept the practice of having the ship staff serve in the cafe. It just makes sense when you are dealing with that many people around that much food and that many utensils. I am glad that Celebrity is that diligent about reporting and cleaning. 

We would eat as soon as it opened, using hand sanitizer immediately before using our utensils.  Actually, we just do this normally now whenever we eat.  People always refuse to wash their hands at the station before entering no matter what is happening.  I actually heard a lady saying that she just washed her hands in her cabin, so no need to do it again before eating...yep, that’s the mentality!

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Lena11033 said:

lol with cabin - how many items did she touch on the way to the buffet. 🙃

I mean, you think by now people knew how to wash hands but no.

Right?!!! That and covering their mouths when they cough. Saw so much of that on the Beyond last week. People standing over food and coughing. Not a thought to cover their mouths. Disgusting! 

• Like 4

Sick crew members will be unable to work..and  will spread germs ..not sure of the incubation time but it spreads easily...

I caught noro on last day of a Royal cruise many  yrs ago..from tablemates who "disappeared" two days before disembark.  I filled up on Pepto just so I could make it off the ship to our car. Luckily we were not flying!  

Edited by hcat

9 minutes ago, hcat said:

Sick crew members will be unable to work..and  will spread germs ..not sure of the incubation time but it spreads easily...

I caught noro on last day of a Royal cruise many  yrs ago..from tablemates who "disappeared" two days before disembark.  I filled up on Pepto just so I could make it off the ship to our car. Luckily we were not flying!  

ha I just added that to my shopping list just in case, I'm going to be bringing a small pharmacy with me between my prescription, lactose pills, advil, cold/flu and this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lena11033 said:

lol with cabin - how many items did she touch on the way to the buffet. 🙃

I mean, you think by now people knew how to wash hands but no.

What always grosses me out is seeing people licking their finger after touching something on their plate then grab a serving spoon.   Other thing that makes me cringe is after being careful to use a napkin to hold tongs while getting a salad then have a big dressing container that everyone is holding..

• Like 4

I came done with Noro 20 years ago.   It was the second day (for some reason we had Safety drill Second Morning)  back when you had to put on life jackets.    In the middle of the drill I could tell I was going to be sick and went running.    One agent said you can't leave and I yelled I'm going to be sick.... He said RUN

I was confined to cabin for 2 days but really had zero appetite for the full cruise and took about 10 days to get back to normal.    After that I started watching everything I touched and bring nitrile gloves with me.     I try now not to touch anything.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So,let me understand this.

b2b passengers who

have been on a Noro infested ship are going to be bused to a local Mall to return to the ship after noon. I understand that the ship needs to have a deep cleaning/sanitation and passengers must leave the ship,but doesn’t that put those passengers into a general population that could be infected by those who have been exposed to Noro on the ship?
This is how viruses get out of hand.

I would think that there would be a better plan to accommodate the returning passengers while the ship is being cleaned. Perhaps put them in part of the terminal or a lounge on the ship that could be cleaned once passengers were allowed to return to their cabins.

Another thought-

I became ill on a Summit cruise this past June. I thought it was either food poisoning or Noro virus.

After we returned home, I still did not feel well and took a Covid test. It was positive.

Our family Doctor told me that intestinal upset is a symptom of Covid.

Perhaps this doesn’t matter really,because both Noro and Covid are nasty viruses.

MJ

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Such a shame... we disembarked on January 3rd and everyone was healthy.

i also thought the "bus to the  mall" plan was crazy.. A super spreader event. Wonder if any will be  sick at the mall? Seems likely.

Sorry for those boarding for the first time who will be mixed already exposed cruisers and crew.  

Having had Noro and Covid( 2x), neither is very pleasant but for me the

Noro was a shorter course.  No appetite, frequent bathroom trips and lots of liquid like gatorade to avoid dehydration.

.  Covid first time pre vaccine was much more severe.. laid in bed for 2 wks inert....After vaccines and boosters,  it  was like a 3 day mild flu.

Where was the ship  recently?

.We are now nervous about our cruise on Ascent in 2 wks...

Good luck to All!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, mahasamatman said:

Or coughing into their hands then immediately picking up a utensil.

Or the people that walk around the buffet eating.  I saw a guy eating taco chips out of the serving bowl with his hands instead of using the tongs.  I did report it and they removed the bowl.

• Like 2

It boggles my mind...how many men I see walking out of the restroom without washing their hands!!  Or the people bypassing wash stations and hand sanitizer upon entering OV!!

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, cricketts said:

Such a shame... we disembarked on January 3rd and everyone was healthy.

We disembarked 12/22 and while there were some folks coughing but didn't hear of folks having any issues. Saw many of the same folks in Michaels Club most days.