Great Stirrup Cay today January 12, 2024

39 minutes ago, girltrader said:

It seems both the Escape and Pearl made it to GSC today.  Can anyone confirm this?

We will soon board Escape and are hoping we are able to tender.

Happy sailing!

No offense but it's completely irrelevant what those ships did today compared to your upcoming cruise.

Enjoy your cruise.  🙂

Edited by ColeThornton
  • Thanks 1

Actually, I've been analyzing the wind direction/speed and wind gusts for days where NCL has failed to tender.  Today the windspeed was SSE 15MPH with wind gusts of 25MPH and the forecast was partly sunny, windy, and humid.  From cruise mapper and the webcam it seems they were able to tender.  I just wanted a point of reference.

Thanks.

• Haha 1

i'll probably get blasted for this post, but on one of our 1st sailings with ncl, the port was GSC. we spent about an hour there caught a tender and returned to the ship.  the next time we cruised there, the water was rough so they couldnt tender in and the port was cancelled. the 3rd time we didnt even bother to get off the ship.

if we never go there again, i wouldnt even care. while some people rant and rave about all the potential activities and offers on GSC, i'd rather stay on the ship with much fewer people on board, then try and share a beach with 2,000-3,000 with my closest friends. NO THANKS!

GSC is a beach day just like any other beach day at any other beach. Free picnic food. Free drinks. Free loungers. Lots of sand. Not sure what more to expect from a beach day. 

And sharing a beach with 2000 people when there are 10,000+ loungers, there is a lot more space to spread out than any public beach. 

If you’re looking for a Hawaiian luau with dancers and a pig cooked in a pit, that’s not GSC. If you want a lovely beach day, you can get it at GSC for a good price,,, free. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, girltrader said:

Actually, I've been analyzing the wind direction/speed and wind gusts for days where NCL has failed to tender.  Today the windspeed was SSE 15MPH with wind gusts of 25MPH and the forecast was partly sunny, windy, and humid.  From cruise mapper and the webcam it seems they were able to tender.  I just wanted a point of reference.

Thanks.

That makes sense, but please understand that there are situations beyond wind at arrival time that can impact the ability to tender. Underwater ocean currents and swells can also play a role. Additionally, your captain will also consider forecasted conditions later in the day closer to departure time. GSC is an awesome experience, but my suggestion would be to leave this in the hands of your captain. No captain is going to risk safety....well, except that one from the Costa ship many years ago. We have missed GSC more than 50% of the time. We accept that and recognize that is how it is going to be until such time as a pier is constructed. Good luck and I hope you get to experience GSC.

• Like 1

On 1/12/2024 at 3:05 PM, ColeThornton said:

No offense but it's completely irrelevant what those ships did today compared to your upcoming cruise.

Enjoy your cruise.  🙂

Why be so rude?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, FreestyleNovice said:

If only there would be plans for a pier..  :classic_happy:

There is a plan in place. The construction group NV2A has been retained to construct Phase III of the island improvements of which a pier capable of docking 2 ships at once will be built. This is the same company that did the upgrades to GSC during phase II and they also designed and built NCL's new terminal in Miami. Scope out the NV2A website to learn more. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, omahabob said:

He knows. That's why he posted the smiley face.

I probably should have added if/when that ever happens! (with my own smiley face).  I heard that also when we were there in 2010 🙂

On 1/14/2024 at 2:35 PM, ljrfrm said:

I probably should have added if/when that ever happens! (with my own smiley face).  I heard that also when we were there in 2010 🙂

Well, this time the contractor is saying they're going ahead with it, so we'll see.

• Like 1

On 1/13/2024 at 12:53 AM, complawyer said:

..., i'd rather stay on the ship with much fewer people on board, then try and share a beach with 2,000-3,000 with my closest friends. NO THANKS!

but I would MUCH rather spend the day on a wide open beach then trying to spend the day elbowing my way to the tiny pool on the ship with 3000-4000 of my (not) closest friends if it is cancelled...   

• Like 1

well, obviously a great number of people will disagree with me and think GSC is terrific, i would personally stay on the ship as GSC has absolutely nothing to offer that i want.

therefore dear married90, to each his own. the opinion expressed regarding GSC is strictly my own.

yes, there is a lot to be said for the bar-b-q, the beach etc. I'd just as soon pass

7 minutes ago, complawyer said:

well, obviously a great number of people will disagree with me and think GSC is terrific, i would personally stay on the ship as GSC has absolutely nothing to offer that i want.

therefore dear married90, to each his own. the opinion expressed regarding GSC is strictly my own.

yes, there is a lot to be said for the bar-b-q, the beach etc. I'd just as soon pass

...and that is why you have ever right to stay on the ship and enjoy.   The hope here is give people the option do do what they want and not be forced into one or the other...