Screaming babies in specialty restaurants, should anything be done about that?

Stockjock

Who are these people who WANT to sit next to a screaming child?

I’ve been on Viking and Celebrity.  I don’t live in a 55 over community, by choice.  But I don’t want screaming children at dinner.

• Like 3

Well one could always give the crying childs parents  " The Look"- and wisper- "Make use of birth controll eqipment" . Just kidding, of course- but yes, I would be bothered too.

Edited by Germancruiser

5 hours ago, mayleeman said:

2 posters seem mystified as to why OP posted this. Maybe 1) the cruiser is not a CC user, or might be trying to enjoy the cruise; or 2) the OP thought it was an interesting story about a friend's unhappy Celeb experience, and he wanted input from Celeb forum regulars (as indeed he asked for).

I am mystified that anyone finds it strange to have posted it. Are we not allowed to relate other people's Celeb experiences, especially a problem that soured someone trying X out?

LOL, mystified (twice 😂)?  Just asked a couple of elementary, entry-level questions of the OP or noted some anomalies in the linkage from source to OP and Viking to Celebrity forum. 

Not a problem, or shouldn't be.   Are we not allowed to relate our questions to other Celebrity forum thread OP's, of course, about a 'problem' with Celebrity?

As an aside, are babies crying and parents not acting accordingly to remedy in only the dining venues on just Celebrity cruise ships?  Of course not.

All's good.  Not a 'regular' (IDT) whatever that is.  🙄  

Edited by At Sea At Peace
  • Like 1

I will point out that a couple years ago Celebrity encouraged parents to bring their children to Specialty.   Originally a child paid the same as an adult and now for example on my next cruise is $8.99 for a child.  It is part of their strategy to attract younger families to Celebrity.

Having said that, recently I was on a cruise and in came a couple with a 6 month old baby.  Of course they sat them right next to us.    I though to myself ---- -OH NO!.

As expected the child started whimpering and to my surprise the Dad hopped up and took him out of the dining room.   20 minutes later he came back with the baby fast asleep and next time the child started whimpering the Mom jumped up and did the same.   I forgot to say they were dining with one of their parents ---   The third time during desert the Grandma got up.     They were a really respectful family and we actually were all chatting while enjoying their close proximity. 

Remember -  It's not the child because he is doing what he does it is the parent that I really commend for being respectful of other guests and their own family.   In the ead everyone had a wonderful evening.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Stockjock said:

I just ignored the question, as I thought the answer was obvious.

I wish I had! Apparently the mystery about your friend's message to you is just too hard to unravel!!

@Jim_Iain

Just a heads up that I gave you a "thanks" note in the "How far would you go?" thread. It wouldn't accept my effort to make it a link although this one worked.

Sorry for off-topic, everyone, but direct messaging isn't possible.

Edited by mayleeman
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Remember -  It's not the child because he is doing what he does it is the parent that I really commend for being respectful of other guests and their own family.   In the ead everyone had a wonderful evening.

Good story.  When does it become the child though?  5 year olds running around the restaurant?  Oh they’re just kids, right?  What about 10 year olds?  You better not scold my children!

25 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Good story.  When does it become the child though?  5 year olds running around the restaurant?  Oh they’re just kids, right?  What about 10 year olds?  You better not scold my children!

As long as they are a minor, the parent always has responsibility.  That 5 year old running around the restaurant or that 10 yelling are just being kids who haven't been taught or expected to behave.  They have a parent who is choosing to ignore their behavior instead of address it.

But yes it's unfortunate the parents who don't expect their children to behave often are ones that will get very offended if outsiders say anything which is a big part of what makes the Maitre'D hesitate to speak up.

• Like 3

I have no problem with well-mannered children being invited to dinner. So, I don't think they need to be banned. But that also comes with a lot of responsibility from the parents. They should remove the child if they are making noise, none of these new-age child raises bs, which lets them express their feelings in public. Take them back to the room or at least outside so it won't interrupt. If the parents won't do it, a staff member of the restaurant has to step up and do it. 

This is going to get some hate, as I might be part of a small number. But, this shouldn't be isolated to the specialty restaurants. Honestly, it's a respectful thing at all restaurants, I think you should manage your children in any public space be it the OV or Morono. If your kids can't behave you need to find a solution or one of the staff should be able to arrange it for you. 

I also read a few people talking about the OP or others going to a more adult-friendly line like VA, why is this answer not, the family should move to a more family-friendly cruise line? I know Celebrity isn't considered an adult-only cruise, but it also doesn't have water slides and ball pits (or whatever is on a family cruise). Celebrity to me is for me sits in the middle. 

Also please read "children" as anyone who isn't behaving like a normal human in public. If you're drunk, loud, belligerent to staff, or general making a scene impacting others' enjoyment, go be a downer in your cabin so you don't impact anyone else on the cruise. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, cmaleblanc said:

I also read a few people talking about the OP or others going to a more adult-friendly line like VA, why is this answer not, the family should move to a more family-friendly cruise line? I know Celebrity isn't considered an adult-only cruise, but it also doesn't have water slides and ball pits (or whatever is on a family cruise). Celebrity to me is for me sits in the middle. 

Celebrity advertises to families.  It is absolutely a family-friendly cruise line.  

And not all children need water slides, go-karts, etc. to be entertained.  Many people see family vacations as a way to show their children the larger world, not as a way to take them to an amusement park.

I do completely agree with your comments about parental responsibility though and adults have that same responsibility over their own behavior.  On all the cruises I have taken across many lines, the number of disruptive adults I have seen far exceeds the number of disruptive children I've seen.

Edited by prmssk
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

This does not surprise me at all.  Why?

We had kids running through the hallways in the evenings.  This was on Millie a week and a half ago.  Someone on the ship should enforce some discipline like they used to.

We also had kids in our resort hotels and we did not have any issues there.  Better management...

Booking a resort hotel for my next vacation.  The pre and post hotels were managed better than the cruise.

How can someone on the ship enforce discipline? That’s totally up to the parents or guardians of the kids surely.

21 minutes ago, prmssk said:

Celebrity advertises to families.  It is absolutely a family-friendly cruise line.  

And not all children need water slides, go-karts, etc. to be entertained.  Many people see family vacations as a way to show their children the larger world, not as a way to take them to an amusement park.

I do completely agree with your comments about parental responsibility though and adults have that same responsibility over their own behavior.  On all the cruises I have taken across many lines, the number of disruptive adults I have seen far exceeds the number of disruptive children I've seen.

Do you think disruptive behavior should be allowed?  I like how every time we talk about disruptive children, it goes to “well the adults are worse”.

• Like 1

A lot of good back and forth.  Some unanswered questions.  A lot of the focus on the 'one screaming baby' upstreaming and broadcasting to becoming 'babies' and focused on such as it's "on Celebrity" (this could, and does, happen on almost every line) and then onto generational comments (well composed) about 'parents and child-raising' nowadays.

All good.  😄

But for a seasoned Viking cruiser, noted for "no kids" cruising, a bit of the question that also is fair has to go to the decision to do another cruise line that did not have the same "no kids" policy that appears to be the most important to them, thereby exposing themselves to something that would be easily be a possibility today (again, on most cruise lines)?

A true story.  A lady goes into a Boston Oyster Bar and Grill, specializing in shellfish, raw or cooked or chilled, and informs the Hostess before seating that she is allergic to shellfish and some seafood and wants a detailed summary protocols of the food receiving, separation of storage and handling, and serving, including dishware and linen, for her health risk of cross contaminationShouldn't that lady have chosen somewhere other than an Oyster Bar and Grill.

Ergo ~

cruisecritic.com/articles/kid-free-cruises-7-options-for-adult-experiences

Kid-Free Cruises: 7 Options for Adult Experiences

article-1460_kid-free-cruises-7-options-

• Like 1

17 hours ago, hcat said:

we walked out of BLU once..cannot recall which ship... very unfortunate experiene.

Dining service was slowest ever so they were really pushing the alcohol.

Table of about 8 adults were seriously overserved and encouraged by the maitre d to have more.   Very loud, boisterous and disruptive folks..

All of a sudden a physical altercation erupted.. men and women all in dress clothes..very ugly .

We  and others left.  No refund but we did lodge  complaint!

Say no to screaming babies and drunks!

Dinner AND a show...some people pay extra for that!  😇

12 minutes ago, At Sea At Peace said:

A lot of good back and forth.  Some unanswered questions.  A lot of the focus on the 'one screaming baby' upstreaming and broadcasting to becoming 'babies' and focused on such as it's "on Celebrity" (this could, and does, happen on almost every line) and then onto generational comments (well composed) about 'parents and child-raising' nowadays.

All good.  😄

But for a seasoned Viking cruiser, noted for "no kids" cruising, a bit of the question that also is fair has to go to the decision to do another cruise line that did not have the same "no kids" policy that appears to be the most important to them, thereby exposing themselves to something that would be easily be a possibility today (again, on most cruise lines)?

A true story.  A lady goes into a Boston Oyster Bar and Grill, specializing in shellfish, raw or cooked or chilled, and informs the Hostess before seating that she is allergic to shellfish and some seafood and wants a detailed summary protocols of the food receiving, separation of storage and handling, and serving, including dishware and linen, for her health risk of cross contaminationShouldn't that lady have chosen somewhere other than an Oyster Bar and Grill.

Ergo ~

cruisecritic.com/articles/kid-free-cruises-7-options-for-adult-experiences

Kid-Free Cruises: 7 Options for Adult Experiences

article-1460_kid-free-cruises-7-options-

I assume this is a joke.  I’ve been on Viking,  I shouldn’t have to go back there to expect a quiet environment.  I don’t mean child free.

On Eclipse during family time in the Solarium one family tried to take over one of the hot tubs.  I knew it was family time.  I tried being friendly, in Spanish.  The father ignored me and pretended he didn’t speak Spanish, all while speaking Spanish to his family.  While he just sat there and gave me looks.  Most people were much more pleasant.

So it’s not about no children.  It’s about attitude and consideration for others.  People thinking the ship and staff are only there for THEIR benefit, not to benefit EVERYONE.

Edited by zitsky
  • Like 3

29 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Do you think disruptive behavior should be allowed?  I like how every time we talk about disruptive children, it goes to “well the adults are worse”.

Allowed in what sense?  Do I think crew should have the responsibility to step in every time someone is disrupting someone else?  Generally, no.  There is a lot of gray area in figuring out what is disruptive to one person vs another and I think the crew have better things to do.  When it is more clear cut, I think security or management would be better equipped to handle it than a server, cleaning crew, etc.

Do I wish people would be more self-aware and care more about how their behaviors affect others?  Absolutely.  This world would be a lot better place if we all were more considerate about how our behaviors affect those around us.

And I think the comments that mention the adults are pointing out the fact that the adults are the root of the problem.  Children get a bad rap but they are only behaving how they have been taught to behave.  If the children are behaving badly, they are likely seeing bad role models in the adults in their life.  So even if you take the children off the ship, you are still left with the adults who don't know how to behave themselves.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, C4HCG said:

How can someone on the ship enforce discipline? That’s totally up to the parents or guardians of the kids surely.

While it SHOULD BE the parents priority to regulate discipline for their kids,  there are some parents that do not discipline their kids and let them do whatever they want.

For the OPs example the Maitre D should approach the family and see if there is something that can be done.

Regarding surveys.  The Maitre D will perhaps get a good rating from the family with the crying kid.  However they will get bad reviews from the rest of the dining room.  

The teenagers running around the ship problem,  can be handled by the room stewards stopping them when they are running or by observing the camera system and letting the parents know that their kids are running around the ship disturbing other passengers. 

This is the first time on a Celebrity cruise I have had this problem.  The enforcement of everything on the ship has been relaxed and not enforced.  No shirts in the OVC.  Chic night dress code, etc.

At the 5 star hotels I stayed at I did not see this problem and there were many more kids there.  They are doing something to keep the issue from happening.  Perhaps Celebrity should consult with them.  They have it figured out.  Perhaps that is why they are 5 star hotels and not 3 or 4. 

It is disappointing to see Celebrity lose this upper tier status that they previously had.

Edited by NMTraveller

32 minutes ago, prmssk said:

Allowed in what sense?  Do I think crew should have the responsibility to step in every time someone is disrupting someone else?  Generally, no.  There is a lot of gray area in figuring out what is disruptive to one person vs another and I think the crew have better things to do.  When it is more clear cut, I think security or management would be better equipped to handle it than a server, cleaning crew, etc.

Do I wish people would be more self-aware and care more about how their behaviors affect others?  Absolutely.  This world would be a lot better place if we all were more considerate about how our behaviors affect those around us.

And I think the comments that mention the adults are pointing out the fact that the adults are the root of the problem.  Children get a bad rap but they are only behaving how they have been taught to behave.  If the children are behaving badly, they are likely seeing bad role models in the adults in their life.  So even if you take the children off the ship, you are still left with the adults who don't know how to behave themselves.

“Sir/Ma’am your child has been screaming/running around for the last 20 minutes.  Could you please take it outside?  Thank you.”

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

While it SHOULD BE the parents priority to regulate discipline for their kids,  there are some parents that do not discipline their kids and let them do whatever they want.

For the OPs example the Maitre D should approach the family and see if there is something that can be done.

Regarding surveys.  The Maitre D will perhaps get a good rating from the family with the crying kid.  However they will get bad reviews from the rest of the dining room.  

The teenagers running around the ship problem,  can be handled by the room stewards stopping them when they are running or by observing the camera system and letting the parents know that their kids are running around the ship disturbing other passengers. 

This is the first time on a Celebrity cruise I have had this problem.  The enforcement of everything on the ship has been relaxed and not enforced.  No shirts in the OVC.  Chic night dress code, etc.

At the 5 star hotels I stayed at I did not see this problem and there were many more kids there.  They are doing something to keep the issue from happening.  Perhaps Celebrity should consult with them.  They have it figured out.  Perhaps that is why they are 5 star hotels and not 3 or 4. 

It is disappointing to see Celebrity lose this upper tier status that they previously had.

Thanks, my question was only about responsibility for these kids, will respectfully leave you and others to the wider debate 👍

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, zitsky said:

“Sir/Ma’am your child has been screaming/running around for the last 20 minutes.  Could you please take it outside?  Thank you.”

Works for me^^^^

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Parent, That's what kids do. Mind your own business. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, zitsky said:

This would be a completely appropriate response from the Maitre'D, management, etc.  But that doesn't mean it will get good results.  The parent is fully aware of how their child is behaving.  If they haven't already acted, a simple statement like this probably isn't going to suddenly make them act in a way that stops the behavior.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, doghog said:

Parent, That's what kids do. Mind your own business. 

It's not what good parents do....allow the screaming unabated.  I seriously have a hard time thinking any parent would think this is correct behavior on their part...maybe I give people too much credit.  

Just be better people...it's not that hard.  

Edited by PTC DAWG