Screaming babies in specialty restaurants, should anything be done about that?

Stockjock

2 hours ago, cmaleblanc said:

I also read a few people talking about the OP or others going to a more adult-friendly line like VA, why is this answer not, the family should move to a more family-friendly cruise line?

Because the OP's friend cannot control the decisions of others about what cruise line to sail with their children.  The only control the OP's friend has over whether there are disrespectful or discourteous parents with small children on his/her sailing is to choose a cruise line that does not permit children onboard.  That is the only way to prevent a re-occurrence of the experience.  (Note, however, that selecting such a cruise line does not prevent unpleasant experiences when sailing with ill-mannered adults.)  Additionally, the OP reported that it was their friend who first indicated his/her desire to "stick with Viking, which doesn't allow kids."  So it appears the OP's friend has, without the need of our input, decided what cruise experience best meets their expectations and desires. 

One cannot control the choices and behaviors of others, one can only control how to respond.  😀

Edited by alexandria
Grammar and spelling.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, prmssk said:

This would be a completely appropriate response from the Maitre'D, management, etc.  But that doesn't mean it will get good results.  The parent is fully aware of how their child is behaving.  If they haven't already acted, a simple statement like this probably isn't going to suddenly make them act in a way that stops the behavior.

We have not experience that on Celebrity (Royal has been a different experience at times in the past and one reason we moved on to Celebrity). But, we did have a person on Constellation who was very loud talking on their cell speaker in Laminae and the Maitre' D told her very politely to not do so in the restaurant and to go outside if she wished to continue. This happened on two occasions. My wife said she saw her do this in other areas of the ship. Can only draw the conclusion that she is just self-centered and oblivious to her surroundings and those around her. Thank goodness for the crew who handled it very well. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

It's not what good parents do....allow the screaming unabated.  I seriously have a hard time thinking any parent would think this is correct behavior on their part...maybe I give people too much credit.  

Just be better people...it's not that hard.  

Not my point. IMO, parents that allow that type of behavior think nothing of it. 

Edited by doghog

12 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Originally a child paid the same as an adult and now for example on my next cruise is $8.99 for a child.  It is part of their strategy to attract younger families to Celebrity.

I find this to be a weird strategy for Celebrity. I understand that young families' money is as green as anyone else's, but RCI already has a family-oriented line under its umbrella. They should be seeking to differentiate Celebrity, not turn it into Royal Caribbean lite. 

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, doghog said:

Not my point. IMO, parents that allow that type of behavior think nothing of it. 

Oh I know, that’s why I mentioned being better people..

15 minutes ago, Alsmez said:

I find this to be a weird strategy for Celebrity. I understand that young families' money is as green as anyone else's, but RCI already has a family-oriented line under its umbrella. They should be seeking to differentiate Celebrity, not turn it into Royal Caribbean lite. 

And yet they have turned it into Royal lite…

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I will point out that a couple years ago Celebrity encouraged parents to bring their children to Specialty.   Originally a child paid the same as an adult and now for example on my next cruise is $8.99 for a child.  It is part of their strategy to attract younger families to Celebrity.

Previously liked the whole post (not sure, must look again). 

I'm not totally sure Celebrity is trying to attract younger families using the specialty dining prices (website says 0-5 Free 6-12 $10) as a lure (although you may certainly be right). 

It could be that Celebrity realized (a problem) that younger families (few and far between on almost every Celebrity cruise we've taken) going to a specialty restaurant with kids (a toddler and a pre-teen) really shouldn't have to pay the full adult rate (which many cruisers also complain about for them) as there will be little to no uncovered net cost likely for such items (I'm not sure if there are kids menus with the standard go-to items).

If so, again I don't know and you may be right, I believe the many threads on the drink packages could use the same attention.  My wife does not drink.  If I can get her to have a sip of Prosecco with a raspberry or strawberry in it it's a big deal.  Required paying for 2 packages could use a solution.  I don't know what that is, but some comments I've seen interest us in some kind of voucher allowance(s) whether per day, per cruise, etc.

Our recent Silhouette cruise was packed in early December, as expected hardly any toddlers or pre-teens or teens; very few families (most with grandparents 😇 in the group).  We actually would stop and say 'hi' to the kids and parents hoping that they were having a good time (with a wink to the young parents and chiding about how they lowered the average passenger age on the cruise to 69.5!).

No issues with the kids at any time or in any venue.

Edited by At Sea At Peace

If the parents can’t control their kids then the whole lot of them should be asked to leave the restaurant 

I know i’ve more than once told parents who weren’t even paying attention that their young child was crying and screaming to please control their child….The wife took the child out of the restaurant till they stopped the outburst 

6 minutes ago, LaCal said:

If the parents can’t control their kids then the whole lot of them should be asked to leave the restaurant 

I know i’ve more than once told parents who weren’t even paying attention that their young child was crying and screaming to please control their child….The wife took the child out of the restaurant till they stopped the outburst 

But you don’t understand?  Celebrity is a faaaaaamily cruise line!  😂

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, LaCal said:

I think I would have simply looked at you and asked if you worked for the restaurant and when you said no thanked you for your interest. And ignored you completely.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, markeb said:

I think I would have simply looked at you and asked if you worked for the restaurant and when you said no thanked you for your interest. And ignored you completely.

And i would of had lots more to say to your inconsiderate attitude 

If no one on staff  takes charge or a nasty disagreement ensues....call for hotel Director or  Security to sort it out depending on situation...! 

But make sure you get credit back for an expensive meal RUINED.. It's not the Outback on Friiday night.   

On Ascent,  we have dinner booked for my big birthday dinner.  New dress, hair styled etc..Not letting anyone ruin my night!  Just sayin!

4 minutes ago, hcat said:

If no one on staff  takes charge or a nasty disagreement ensues....call for hotel Director or  Security to sort it out depending on situation...! 

But make sure you get credit back for an expensive meal RUINED.. It's not the Outback on Friiday night.   

On Ascent,  we have dinner booked for my big birthday dinner.  New dress, hair styled etc..Not letting anyone ruin my night!  Just sayin!

You can complain to the hotel director but that would just get your stress level up.  I would just walk out.  No need to endure such bad behavior.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, markeb said:

Are you saying you let your child scream uncontrollably in restaurants?  Sure seems that way.  I hope I’m wrong. 

On 1/16/2024 at 12:41 PM, LabMom57 said:

Add me to the parenting fail votes. When our kids were little, my husband and I took turns eating/taking the child outside. There is no excuse for poor adult behavior. There should not be a need to restrict who comes to the dining room. I've seen plenty of well behaved children on cruise ships. Babies can't be in control. It's the parents' job.

We do the same. If our daughter gets rowdy (she's 4, so it still happens on occasion), one of us takes her back to the room or for a walk while the other eats. Then we switch. We don't want to be the family that ruins other guests nights. It's basic courtesy. Everyone comments how well-behaved she is at the end of cruises. Well, yeah. Because they didn't see her when she wasn't. 

• Like 5