The Fleet Report and Daily for Wednesday January 17th, 2024

kazu

Good morning from a sunny but cold day.  It's +2F now with a high of 14.  Warmer weather next week.  Haven't been to the port today, but the pictures look fun.  I'm making chicken noodle soup in the slow cooker today, made a loaf of market bread yesterday.  The stew also looks good. Cheers to Betty White and Benjamin Franklin.  We've been to San Francisco and rode the cable cars there.  

@ottahand7sorry to hear about your bad night...hoping you feel better soon.  It's no fun being sick when you're away from home.  

@marshhawkGood thoughts for your DH today...praying all goes well.  

@grapau27Good to see you back again!  

@JazzyVhoping you get some answers soon for your pain issues.  

Thanks for all of the caring and sharing here.  Have a good day!  Karen

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, RedneckBob said:

Graham, while you were off line there was a guy named Chief competing for your job!

IMG_1595.thumb.png.6b9cefc7b2f11c3fcd27b08eb5e5f6b1.png

Good to see the chief is having a great time.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 8
  • Haha 6

Thanks for the beautiful photos of Edinburgh! Some day!

Lazy day for us we are back to St. John's next month.  Rather cloudy here and muggy. 

Last night we dined in the MDR after a 4 night absence.  It seemed like we walked into the dining room of the next door Nieuw Amsterdam.  Front people looked different, new waiter but we sat down at 198 that we had been assigned "for the whole cruise". Did they intend to give it to us until late February and didn't enter it in or had no idea we were on for so long. Well squatter's rights worked for one night.  A confused couple soon appeared and talked to one of the waiters who got the floor boss.  The couple was seated and the floor boss came to us and asked why we were there. "We were given this table for the entire 52 days" "Who told you that?" Sheesh it was 14 days ago.  Unfortunately Jaka and Ari had been relocated so they couldn't back us up.  The floor manager came over and told us."someone else was here last week" Duh we changed cabins but the names are the same.  More consultation and the FM came over and said we can't have this table after tonight.  We figured that.  I said I would appreciate a nice table for two at five.  He seemed to agree and said he would get back with us.  Nothing yet.  I guess we will go get in the Club Orange no reservations line. 

This morning while hanging out in the Neptune Lounge John went and explained to our Concierge CJ.  She said she would look into it. 

Yesterday I spent a lot of time changing 6pm reservations to 5 pm after our PG debacle and she asked if these were 5* benefits.  I said I guessed it would happen at the and of this segment she demurred.  Now that we have no table two or three more specialty dinners would be a big help.  Our old table also appeared like the NA zone, 2 loud 8 tops right behind the banquette.  I said to John I hope we lose this table.   Who knows what is next but I know we will eat.  N

• Like 14
  • Thanks 7

Late to the party.  I had a doctor’s appointment and worked on the driveway before hand so I could get there.  I thought it was clean enough to drive off of.  Nope,  it wasn’t.  Thank God I know how to drive on ice - otherwise I would have lost complete control of the SUV.  it’s back in the garage in a very poor position since it was too slippery to line it up right 😞   I guess I will slowly have to keep working on my slippery driveway.  Ice is everywhere and you have to be really careful walking in parking lots, etc.

Oh my heaves Nancy @ottahand7 I hope you are feeling much better fast 🙏   And what is it with the malarkey about your table in the MDR?  😡. That doesn’t seem right to me and shouldn’t be happening.

@marshhawk Very best wishes for @Catmandu surgery.    So glad you are alert to his meds.

@Denise T so glad to hear of the improvement in your blood sugar 👍 

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

@ottahand7On our last cruise the b2b from Hades....we were ill all of the part 2, and we had lunch in the MDR one day, near the end of the cruise, and asked the hostess where our assigned table was, she informed us, but said that since we had not shown up in x amount of days, it was no longer our table.  She did seat us that night.  Oddly enough I made a friend on that second part of the cruise, who was assigned to our original table, and told me that she and her sisters requested another table because the man in the other group discussed his and his wife's sex lives during dinner.  Glad we didn't get seated with him.   In 25 days we only ate in the MDR 4 evenings.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 5

3 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

P1030337.thumb.JPG.17526486f518870705b9c0c6c2f6bd21.JPG

If you're ever back in Edinburgh, or anyone reading this visits here, it's worth knowing that this building on St Andrew Square is a branch of the Royal Bank of Scotland.  In fact it was the branch I used to bank in! 

It has a rather stunning ceiling in the main banking hall, and anyone can wander in for a look: https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/dundas-house

image.png.b2250d8e75a54d73262e5b932e9daf49.png

• Like 17
  • Thanks 9

@ottahand7  I had auditory hallucinations...mine were old time religious hymns....woke up my grandson & accused him of having his radio (which he didn't have) on too loud.  Took the dog out & was still hearing them outside.  Very annoying & you can't get them to stop....it's like a continuous loop.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 5

Regarding yesterday’s discussion about living alone yet having a way to have the world know if you’re not ok…. 

Maryland has a free statewide system to call you daily, if no answer a Welfare Check is initiated.  I’m guessing there are other states that do this too. Maybe an internet search for Welfare Check would show them?  

Also, most mobile phones have a voice activation feature. I can ask my phone to “Call 911”.  Of course I must be conscious and able to speak, with the phone within shouting range. I can ask it to call someone else too of course- “Call Richard” my DH. Etc. If you can test your phone to call a friend, it will be capable of calling 911. 
Do not be afraid to Test Call 911, just tell them “This is a test call for location confirmation, I’ll hold if needed.”  Confirm that they have an address/location come in with the call, or if they’ll need that information in an emergency.  Most dispatch centers have a call-taker to log initial info; they are used to getting non-emergency calls. You may have to hold until emergency traffic clears.  
m—

• Like 13
  • Thanks 15

Docs office just called, he should be good to go home at 1:30, so I will leave in 45 minutes to go get him.

I feed birds, and this time of year, I get to not only see the Blue Jay, but also the blue bird.  My dogwood tree yesterday was full of the blue birds.  I only see them when it gets COLD!  I wonder where they vacation.....

Bluebird 

image.thumb.png.51ae2d22cc85f2f37e19dc45a9e68f7c.png

Blue Jay

image.thumb.png.684b71aa10c88f8ac7e6c254fee89bac.png

What they are thinking-

image.png.2cd18b4636bbb10499d41cf85d9c4f89.png

• Like 20
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 7

19 minutes ago, 57redbird said:

@ottahand7  I had auditory hallucinations...mine were old time religious hymns....woke up my grandson & accused him of having his radio (which he didn't have) on too loud.  Took the dog out & was still hearing them outside.  Very annoying & you can't get them to stop....it's like a continuous loop.

I think the boom box heard in the fast walkers room above a night ago was auditory hallucinating.  I had a constant soundtrack of the same type of music last night until I switched to my iPod.  Tiny's staccato purring was tuned to John's loud snoring, yay Tiny. 

Edited by ottahand7
  • Like 16

9 minutes ago, RMLincoln said:

Regarding yesterday’s discussion about living alone yet having a way to have the world know if you’re not ok…. 

Maryland has a free statewide system to call you daily, if no answer a Welfare Check is initiated.  I’m guessing there are other states that do this too. Maybe an internet search for Welfare Check would show them?  

Also, most mobile phones have a voice activation feature. I can ask my phone to “Call 911”.  Of course I must be conscious and able to speak, with the phone within shouting range. I can ask it to call someone else too of course- “Call Richard” my DH. Etc. If you can test your phone to call a friend, it will be capable of calling 911. 
Do not be afraid to Test Call 911, just tell them “This is a test call for location confirmation, I’ll hold if needed.”  Confirm that they have an address/location come in with the call, or if they’ll need that information in an emergency.  Most dispatch centers have a call-taker to log initial info; they are used to getting non-emergency calls. You may have to hold until emergency traffic clears.  
m—

I've thought of that but decided I'm not home reliably enough to avoid a huge number of welfare checks.

Roy

• Like 16

We were in South Queensferry last April on the Rotterdam. I went to Stirling and Falkirk. It was a cold, damp, and cloudy day (so unexpected for Scotland) but it was still a fascinating tour. Wandered around the town of Stirling a fair bit and found very nice wool/tweed sweater to help keep me warm! 

Stirling Castle and nearby cemeteries - 

DSC_0825(2).thumb.JPG.f78f863bab73383b0c24625e8179f9b8.JPG

DSC_0821(2).thumb.JPG.936327f03a297ba6e96081039d21bc98.JPG

Wallace Monument (from Stirling Castle) -

DSC_0815(2).thumb.JPG.5bc30885c0ed039057c74998883b020b.JPG

Falkirk Wheel & upstream canal-

DSC_0836(2).thumb.JPG.fa3feaeb7491bbcb929dab2534cc2230.JPG

DSC_0847(2).thumb.JPG.4c12bf2bd548ff05d0c14fc2f4f59975.JPG

This tug was at our stern all day helping us hold position-

DSC_0808(2).thumb.JPG.88997913ff97dfa83e94082f51a980d3.JPG

• Like 21
  • Thanks 4

@marshhawk glad Chuck's catheterization went well!    

We did miss night one, football and I was getting sick and I asked the concierge to call and cancel.  I would have been on a "list" for BOLO for people escaping quarantine and we only had one night we didn't call.  I wish we could be seated with Jaka and Ari again.  It is crazy to change waiters around when they go to a new cruise.  We had the same waiter, Lucky, for probably 70 days when we finally got assigned a table on the Volendam. 

• Like 18

Good morning, Dailyites, or Good Afternoon, depending on where you are, or even Good Night, Colin and Graham!  (Glad you got your internet back!)  My arm is sore this morning from the RSV vaccination, and I had a really bad night, very achy and uncomfortable, but I don't know if it was from the RSV or the change in weather, because that four-letter word has appeared - SNOW!  We have about 3 inches of it now and we are threatened with 8", though if the temperature goes up, it will change to rain and then probably freeze tonight.  Shades of when we lived in Virginia!

Of course the doctor phoned this morning to cancel my "bump removal" today - moved to February 14. Probably snow that day, too, if my luck holds..

We have been to Edinburgh a few times, but not by sea, and it was pre-digital, so I would have to hunt through old photograph albums to find pictures.  Chicken stew sounds warming, but we had chicken last night, and I had originally told Pat he would have to cook tonight if I had both hands cut up, so now I will have to re-think it.  

I hope Chuck's recovery goes smoothly, and all the other Dailyites stay well, or get better.

• Like 22

Good morning!

We have temps just at 31F and a rain/sleet mix over top of slush and black ice. All the local school districts started out as late start and are now closed. Lots of accidents and people being urged to stay home. The county to the north of us, Whatcom and especially the Bellingham and Lynden area, really got hit and have several inches of snow. I have just a skim but it's coming down now. Oh - the Pacific Northwest. I'm not going into town for water aerobics - the car will stay in the driveway! 

Love Betty White (Hallmark plays the Golden Girls reruns and love her St. Olaf stories) and cable cars are fun. No to the drink and wine and maybe to the stew.

Thanks for the good feedback on my "Bragging" about doing the feeders yesterday. It's these little things that I can finally do that says my body is on the mend - slow as it may be. 

@grapau27 Good to see you back Graham! 

Have a safe and dry day. Snow is in the forecast until late afternoon and then we're supposed to warm up and it will be warm enough I can finally turn the taps off! 

Karen

• Like 20

5 hours ago, ger_77 said:

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  Benjamin Franklin was a man of many talents; Betty White was a great actress/comedian who lives on in our memories.  I love riding in cable cars, DH not so much, as he doesn't care for heights.  I could get scared, but I put those thoughts out of my mind and just enjoy the ride.

Well the temperature has moderated quite a bit overnight, so today when we go out, the air won't hurt my face.  It's currently -21C (-5F), which is a dramatic change from yesterday, thank goodness!  We went to 3 different locations to show our support for the province's teachers who were walking the picket line in -46C weather, bringing several coffee boxes from Tim Hortons to each - we know they were greatly appreciated.

@marshhawksending good vibes for you and Chuck today as he has his angioplasty.  Our friend had the same procedure on his legs a few months ago and saw the difference in only a couple of days after the surgery. 

@ottahand7wow, the effects of the steriod are frightening!!!!

A couple of things on the agenda today, DH has a weekly coffee meet up with his bandmates, and I get my hair cut and coloured this afternoon.  It isn't too bad yet, but with our upcoming trip, I wanted it freshened up so it's easier to manage in the heat and humidity. 

I would like to try the drink of the day; I think it sounds like it would be very refreshing on a hot summer's day, or on the deck of a BHB.  I'd like the wine, and I've never had chicken stew.  I do have some stewing beef thawing in the fridge though, and that will be put together in the crock pot so we can have a steaming hot bowl of stew to enjoy with crusty buns at the kitchen table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, cheers to all who have celebrations going on today.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

I feel positively balmy with -12 here. I would not want to be walking a picket line there today. I hope it’s solved soon. Good day to all listers and prayers to all who are illmor undergoing treatment. Thanks for the daily report. Salmon Pattie’s for dinner with Red Lobster biscuits and some Baileys in my latte.

our house is freezing even though the furnace is churning it out. Piling on sweaters, blankets and wooly socks. 
ilove all the trip photos, some many interesting people on this list.

• Like 20

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

I like all 3 days. True quote. Maybe on the meal, maybe on the drink and yes to the wine. I haven't been to Edinburgh. 2 big achievements in history. 

It's cold out and windy, with wind chill -8 earlier. I was surprised that the main school system here is closed; most did a 2 hour delay. I had an appointment this AM with the lymphedema clinic. I wear compression stockings, but with having to sit all the time now, I have more swelling. They wrapped both legs from the knees down, so now it's harder to move around, and I can't shower. I go back on Tuesday. I'm concerned about a Friday appointment with another doctor, as it's supposed to start snowing in the morning, with 2"-4" accumulation.

@grapau27 We missed seeing your posts.

@marshhawk Thinking of you and DH today as he has his procedure.

@Cruzin Terri I hope the podiatrist can figure out what's going on with your foot.

@ottahand7 Oh my, what a night you had. I hope the antibiotics help the bronchitis and that lowering the steroids stops the visions. 

@StLouisCruisers Great photos.

@Denise T Congrats on the improved FBS!

@cat shepard I only shoveled from the back door to the garage, but it was too much. I'll contact my guys who are doing the front, to also do that.

@smitty34877 I rode the Green Line all the time, while at BU.

@aliaschief Nice photos. Interesting corn kernels, and yummy Pisco Sour.

@Quartzsite Cruiser Excellent photos.

@kazu Sorry to hear there's so much ice around. Be careful! 

@fruitmachine Welcome to the Daily and thanks for the photos.

@Overhead Fred Nice photos. 

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers to those Celebrating.

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 3