Jewel - Interested in recent experiences

Not new to Royal but will be to the Jewel so interested in others recent experiences. Will be in a suite so thoughts on the Suite Lounge, concierges, room conditions, specialty food and service, and thoughts on the crew. Oh, have there been many kids, particularly smaller kids, on your cruise. Appreciate any feedback.

I was on her for 14 nights in September. This was a Greenland sailing just after school started so there were very few kids onboard. I would say it's not a ship that attracts a lot of families with school aged kids/teens. There is a small child water slide/pool area and a teen club and arcade but it always seems underused.

I can only judge the suite lounge from quick peeks passing by but you won't have the crowding problem that the Diamond Lounge. 

I've stopped by the concierge desk for a couple of little things. Not really sure what they do beyond that but they were pleasant and helpful.

Rooms are dated looking now compared to more modern ships but they do have good storage and everything was functional in my experience. 

I've eaten in the Italian restaurant and Izumi. Both are fine. I had a positive main dining room experience on my last Jewel sailing, exceeded expectations and quick, accurate service. 

I really liked the entertainment staff on my sailing but they tend to move around so it's hard to say you'd have the same people. 

All and all, I really like Jewel and wouldn't hesitate to book again. 

We were on Jewel last March for 8 days. Beautiful ship and fantastic crew but I missed having an ice show and a promenade. Cabin was a little worn but very clean. If you get Nicholas in the MDR you will have a great time. 

Recent experiences still may not reflect yours.  The ship won't change, but when the captain/hotel director/cruise director/concierge changes, that can change the onboard experience as compared to others' with different crew.

A side note about suites, ours had 36 drawers for the two of us, lesson learned: choose a reasonable number to use and forget the rest, unless you want to be squirrel-like locating your items. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JDPCruisers said:

Not new to Royal but will be to the Jewel so interested in others recent experiences. Will be in a suite so thoughts on the Suite Lounge, concierges, room conditions, specialty food and service, and thoughts on the crew. Oh, have there been many kids, particularly smaller kids, on your cruise. Appreciate any feedback.

I board Jewel on Saturday in a GS.  Keep an eye out… i will probably start a live report soon.  I can tell you the concierge will be Edna & she was spot on with sending out an email a week in advance.  She has put in our dinner reservation requests ( we have 3 night package)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SteelCityCruiser10 said:

I board Jewel on Saturday in a GS.  Keep an eye out… i will probably start a live report soon.  I can tell you the concierge will be Edna & she was spot on with sending out an email a week in advance.  She has put in our dinner reservation requests ( we have 3 night package)

Great, will be on the lookout for your impressions. We are in an OS (typically do a GS as we find them a good value comparatively and like the counter as opposed to the table) but the prize was not that much more. Good to hear the concierge has been in communication prior to your boarding. Thanks.

4 hours ago, SteelCityCruiser10 said:

We're sailing on JOS in late Spring in an OS and would appreciate it if you could post how crowded the Lounge is,  I've read they limit the Pinnacles to 30 if there are too many onboard.  It's been a quite a while since we sailed on JOS.  Have a great cruise and look forward to your reporting. 

Was on Jewel 10/19/23-10/30/23 for Canada/NE for 12 days.  The ship was fine if a little boring.  Shows were so-so.  And the food was comparable.  The themed MDR nights are poorly executed.  Portions were small and execution bland.  Missed the "always included" choices. There are always Indian choices and I have never ordered them so can't find fault.  A dessert called German chocolate-styled tart was a small crust with chocolate filling, a dollop of whipped cream and a lone cherry.  We skipped Caribbean and Mexican nights to eat in the buffet which we found pretty good with many choices.  I did pay for an extra lobster tail.

Was on her for 25 days in Sept/Oct

She is tired, tired, tired! I dread to think how old the sofa in my cabin was; and the chairs especially in the Colony Club are threadbare. 

That said, she has a lovely flow, and the staff are great. 
The RCI shows are a little dated 

Meals in MDR were ok, I didn’t starve! Yes there is a curry option every night and these are generally good 

The suite lounge was always empty when I passed. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, SteelCityCruiser10 said:

I board Jewel on Saturday in a GS.  Keep an eye out… i will probably start a live report soon.

I'm on in February and I would be most interested in your experiences and opinions regarding Trinidad and Tobago. There's not a lot of information available since cruises were not going there until November. 

49 minutes ago, SG65CB said:

I'm on in February and I would be most interested in your experiences and opinions regarding Trinidad and Tobago. There's not a lot of information available since cruises were not going there until November. 

Nice!  I started a live thread.  stop by

We just spent 36 days on Jewel: 10/9/2023, 9/28/2023, and 9/14/2023.

She is a wonderful ship. The Concierge Clubs on Radiance Class are the best in the fleet.

The resident production shows are the same as on any RCI ship.  There are no two70, Ice, or Broadway shows.  There are also the same tired old comedians, magic shows, etc... that you will find on all RCI ships.  There is always one great headliner show.

There is no CK, but the major specialty restaurants are all there.  Safari Club is best.

If you want brand new furniture and the same tired old ports, spend double on Icon.  IMHO, Radiance class ships have the widest selection of exotic ports and no cookie-cutter 7-day sailings.

• Like 1

Hi,

I am back on the Jewel in April for the 15 night TA. Was last on her back in late 2021 for 7 nights in the Med.

Yes, she was looking her age, but that should be expected for any ship that age.

Yes, I too will miss not having the Ice Shows or a Royal Promenade, but she does have a golf course and a outdoor pool you can walk down steps into as well as a nice Centrum.

IIRC the Crown Lounge is up at the top for a good view (don't like the one on the Anthem that much) and I think there was a revolving floor around the bar area in the Viking Crown Lounge too which can be fun when you've had a few!

Mick..

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mick B said:

IIRC the Crown Lounge is up at the top for a good view (don't like the one on the Anthem that much) and I think there was a revolving floor around the bar area in the Viking Crown Lounge too which can be fun when you've had a few!

Mick..

We'll be on in March with a few new cruisers and I think the floor would be fun for them to see. But, I'm not sure the revolving floor is still functional. Maybe someone can confirm it for us.

Edited by cruiseguy1016

Hi,

At was back in October 2021 and was operated by a Asian lady who looked after the bar and the old Diamond Lounge.

It only moved slowly for obvious reasons.

Maybe it no longer works?

Mick.

4 hours ago, Mick B said:

Hi,

At was back in October 2021 and was operated by a Asian lady who looked after the bar and the old Diamond Lounge.

It only moved slowly for obvious reasons.

Maybe it no longer works?

Mick.

We've experienced it working. DW set her purse down on the bar once and it slowly "walked" away from her.

On 1/17/2024 at 8:26 AM, JDPCruisers said:

On 1/17/2024 at 10:58 AM, SteelCityCruiser10 said:

On 1/18/2024 at 3:23 AM, SteelCityCruiser10 said:

Nice!  I started a live thread.  stop by

• 1 month later...
On 1/17/2024 at 6:39 PM, shofer said:

Was on Jewel 10/19/23-10/30/23 for Canada/NE for 12 days.  The ship was fine if a little boring.  Shows were so-so.  And the food was comparable.  The themed MDR nights are poorly executed.  Portions were small and execution bland.  Missed the "always included" choices. There are always Indian choices and I have never ordered them so can't find fault.  A dessert called German chocolate-styled tart was a small crust with chocolate filling, a dollop of whipped cream and a lone cherry.  We skipped Caribbean and Mexican nights to eat in the buffet which we found pretty good with many choices.  I did pay for an extra lobster tail.

I just got of Harmony OTS and one night in MDR ordered the Lamb curry.  My server questioned that and tried to tell me the steak was better.  (IMHO steak is too thin and rarely cooked like I like it - That said, I am a bit spoiled as I have a great grill set up and can grill some amazing steaks.  A friend said after chops one night that I should give them some pointers!)  I asked the server, what is the nationality of at least 50% of the kitchen staff?  He said Indian and I replied, I am guessing they have a great deal more experience with curry than steak.  He agreed and didn't question me the second time I ordered the Indian dish.  They were two of my best meals.  That said, I have many friends from India and I eat their food at the spice they like it, so I doubt that I will ever find anything really spicy for me in the MDR.

I think some of the ethnic foods in the MDR has replaced steak and lobster night for me!  The best meal that entire cruise was the lamb shank.  Maybe the best I have ever had!

On 1/19/2024 at 4:55 AM, Mick B said:

I think there was a revolving floor around the bar area in the Viking Crown Lounge too which can be fun when you've had a few!

I've seen it working.  You probably have to ask.  (Just like the solarium roof)

The problem with the VCL bar is the bar stools are very far apart.

• 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, shirazcruiser said:

Does anyone remember what brand of tv is on JOS?  I want to check my universal remote codes for streaming. 

RCI mostly uses Smasung TVs on most ships.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1