Express pass lane

Hi all.

Sailing on Freedom tomorrow.  Just did my health questionnaire like I'm supposed to.

I'm Emerald so my set sail pass was green. After completing the questionnaire,  my ssp turned to purple and says I now have Express Boarding. Follow the signs at the port for Express. 

Never happened before. Ill take it for sure but am curious if its just a random thing or maybe something else?.

I think I read  Icon is supposed to be in port with us, maybe Royal is trying something new to get as many folks on board Freedom as possible??

33 minutes ago, runner2013 said:

Ill take it for sure but am curious if its just a random thing or maybe something else?.

Others have reported this new check-in/boarding feature- something RCI is testing in limited cases. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Others have reported this new check-in/boarding feature- something RCI is testing in limited cases. 

Sounds like Princess with their Green Lane, Blue Lane. 

• Haha 1

So, are D+ set sail passes purple and express passes also purple but specifically state “Express Boarding”?  If so, it seems like there were a lot of unused colors they could have chosen for express to make it less confusing. Or maybe there is a benefit in the works for D+? 

I will be doing my health questionnaire on Saturday for Port Canaveral on the 21st and will post anything interesting that may happen.  

• Thanks 2

I've heard of this -- did I read about it on Royal Caribbean Blog?  Not sure.  Anyway, I read it's still in the testing phase and is only being tried on a couple ships.  Apparently it's being offered to "easy people"; that is, Americans sailing from an American port with a passport.  From what I read (no personal experience), it's nothing to do with C&A status.  

I think we're all hoping to get this offer!  In the meantime, I look forward to hearing details from current cruisers.  

• Like 2

There won't be any Express Boarding if the ship isn't boarding.  You'll be in the same chairs as everyone else at the Terminal.  

IMHO, this probably won't save you more than a few minutes.  I think RCI is trying to incent you to scan your passport and take your picture so the pier agents don't have to.

1 minute ago, steveru621 said:

There won't be any Express Boarding if the ship isn't boarding.  You'll be in the same chairs as everyone else at the Terminal.  

IMHO, this probably won't save you more than a few minutes.  I think RCI is trying to incent you to scan your passport and take your picture so the pier agents don't have to.

I wish they'd let you just upload a picture you have instead having to take a selfie.  Usually when I'm checking late, late in the evening both DW and I don't look our best.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Tree_skier said:

I wish they'd let you just upload a picture you have instead having to take a selfie.  Usually when I'm checking late, late in the evening both DW and I don't look our best.

Yes, maybe they could give you the picture they took, and you could use it on a future cruise.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, schooner_Drinker said:

Past 23 cruises since restart, we had. always scanned our passports into system and done photos 

Past 23 cruises at check in, shoreside agent has taken our photo and scanned our passport 

(why do twice)

Same thing for us.  We stopped scanning and taking pictures two years ago.  Why bother?

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, steveru621 said:

Same thing for us.  We stopped scanning and taking pictures two years ago.  Why bother?

+1 - We've taken pictures several times and, for some reason, they are not acceptable. We now just let them do it at the pier. It takes less than 30 seconds.

• Like 1

We are 50% with the pictures.  Mine are usually ok.  Husband's always seem to be the issue.  We don't mind retaking as it's quick.

This is the 1st Im reading about the passes.  Sounds like the trend is moving towards digital which is good.  Less paper will save a tree.

So, several other people on the FB page for this sailing have also been changed to the express lane. My guess,, Royal must be trying out something new to see if it helps with the anticipated congestion thats going to happen when Icon begins her passenger sailings.

16 hours ago, steveru621 said:

If I understand correctly, this is true.  If you're fortunate enough to get an Express Boarding pass, it'll scoot you through the check-in process ... but you'll still be in the chairs waiting for them to begin boarding.  I'd still rather, as my grandmother would've said, "take a fast stick and go through the country" and get through the check-in process faster.  

16 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

They usually re-take our pictures, and I've quit trying.  However, it occurs to me that having EVERYTHING done up front -- picture included -- might be one of the things that gets you an Express Boarding Pass.  I'll put in pictures next time, and maybe I'll try a little harder to have a solid background and have a plain front-facing picture.

I don't care a bit if my picture looks good; only the security people will see it as we come /go.  I can't believe they "study on them" even a moment more than's necessary to ascertain you're you.  

14 hours ago, cruisinfanatic said:

what's on the questionnaire now days

What happens if you say you're sick?

At the least, you get to visit Medical.  I've seen something about "a free medical visit" -- but who wants that?  From people who have the authority to quarantine you? 

I did lie once, and I wasn't sorry.  We'd been out to dinner the night before, and I ate something different from the rest of the family -- and I was, um, in the bathroom all night.  Thing is, I've lived in my body a long time, and I know when the problem is something I ate.  Sure enough, I never had a moment's trouble the next day.  I KNEW I didn't have anything that anyone else could catch.    

Edited by Mum2Mercury

I can't find the previous post but someone who worked for Royal/port said it was something they were testing out on Freedom. I sailed on Freedom the week of 1/8 with a check in time of 12pm and I'm Platinum and my set sail pass turned purple after doing my health check and it listed "express boarding". I arrived in my uber to port at 11:45 and saw a separate line for "Express boarding" and was through security and on ship by 11:56. Pretty quick!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, schooner_Drinker said:

Past 23 cruises since restart, we had. always scanned our passports into system and done photos 

Past 23 cruises at check in, shoreside agent has taken our photo and scanned our passport 

(why do twice)

After excluding consecutive cruises (since we did not go through check in), since restart we scanned passports and took photos for 16 cruises.  Our photos have only re-taken by the shoreside agent only once.  If yours are re-taken every time, it might be your technique (not close enough?) or background.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Starry Eyes said:

Our photos have only re-taken by the shoreside agent only once.

Your experience matches mine.  In fact, it's gotten to be a game with me.  How bad a picture can I take before they make me retake it?  So far, I have never had to retake pictures for the consecutive cruises.  I laugh, when they see the picture when get off or on at a port.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cigar King said:

Your experience matches mine.  In fact, it's gotten to be a game with me.  How bad a picture can I take before they make me retake it?  So far, I have never had to retake pictures for the consecutive cruises.  I laugh, when they see the picture when get off or on at a port.

That’s funny, though Hubby and I can take a bad selfies without trying.  Heck, our pictures might turn out better if we actively tried to make them worse.

I’ve never observed any consecutive cruiser’s picture re-taken.  I didn’t want to pad my success(🤪) count by including consecutives.

On 1/18/2024 at 2:17 PM, ZoeyVictoria said:

I will be doing my health questionnaire on Saturday for Port Canaveral on the 21st and will post anything interesting that may happen.  

I have completed the health questionnaire and was poised to grab a screenshot of confetti and streamers announcing express passes, but no luck. 

I used the link provided at noon saying it was time, only to see the “too soon” message several times. The app was very sluggish in loading and actually told me (later) that it could not show my set sail pass and go to the counter at the terminal. I spent eight minutes fighting the app before I could get to the unimproved set sail pass. 

On 1/19/2024 at 8:19 AM, Tree_skier said:

If you open check in on the Royal website it lets you pick a photo. I have always checked in on the app and took a terrible selfie then later have gone on the website and changed it without issue.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ScottishRobbie said:

If you open check in on the Royal website it lets you pick a photo. I have always checked in on the app and took a terrible selfie then later have gone on the website and changed it without issue.

I've always submitted our self taken passport pictures