The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday January 19th, 2024

kazu

Today is Brew a Potion Day, Good Memory Day, and National Popcorn Day

Variety's the very spice of life, That gives it all its flavor. - William Cowper

Meal Suggestion for today - Pork & Green Chile Stew
Drink of the Day - Fox River
Wine of the Day - Laurent Perrier Brut Grand Siecle #26 MV (750ML)
Destination of the Day - Kangaroo Island, Penneshaw, South Australia

Today in History:
1883 The first electric lighting system employing overhead wires, built by Thomas Edison, begins service at Roselle, New Jersey
1966 Indira Gandhi elected India's 4th Prime Minister
2013 Lance Armstrong admits to doping in all seven of his Tour de France victories

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Roseau, Dominica 08:00 - 17:00 

Koningsdam

Honolulu, Oahu Island Hawaii 07:00 - 23:00 

Nieuw Amsterdam

At Sea Destination Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades, Florida eta 01-20

Nieuw Statendam

At Sea Destination Nassau, Bahamas eta 1/20

Oosterdam

At Sea Destination Port Stanley, East Falkland Island eta 01-22

Rotterdam

At Sea Destination Cartagena Colombia eta 01-20

Zaandam

San Diego, California 7:00-15:00 

Zuiderdam

At Sea Destination St Georges Grenada eta 01-20

Eastern Hemisphere

Noordam

Dunedin, Port Chalmers, New Zealand 08:00 - 18:00 

Volendam

Apia, Upolu Island Samoa 08:00 - 17:00 

Westerdam

Singapore 7:00-17:00

• Like 19
  • Thanks 23

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.

Thanks for the map.

Another cold day here.  It's -12°C (10°F) this morning.  Good thing I don't have to work outside.  Bertie and I will have a short walk.

The only potion I'll brew today is a hot cup of English Breakfast tea.  I don't have a good memory, I like popcorn.

Good quote.

The meal sounds good for a cold day, looking forward to seeing the recipe.  I hope the drink and wine are good too.

Prayers for everyone.

Have a good day.  Stay safe and warm.

• Like 29

Good afternoon.

It is 39°F in North East England.

3 nice days and quote.

We have never been to today's port although Pauline's cousin who lives in Adelaide Australia has been many times.

I hope everyone is fit and well.

I hope Joy  is okay as I don't remember seeing her posts recently.

Hopefully she is still having a fantastic cruise.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Just a quick visit before I head off to have my blood work drawn for my annual wellness visit. I have not had any coffee, so please pardon my errors. 

I hope to check back in when I am sipping my first mug. 😎

Laurent Perrier Brut Grand Siecle #26 MV

This is a classic champagne. Probably worth every Penny, but it is too far outside of my budget. Even a taste is probably outside of my budget.  Numerous online distributors with prices starting at $243.99!

Winemaker Notes

Vintages in Champagne are synonymous with excellence despite significant variations in style, expression, and quality from one to another. Grand Siècle seeks a perfection beyond single vintages, with the ambition of recreating "the perfect year", one nature on its own cannot provide.

The 26th iteration of Grand Siècle was released to great critical acclaim – including a perfect 100-point rating from James Suckling.

A white gold in color with delicate and persistent bubbles, it offers a very complex nose which mixes honeysuckle, lemon, clementine and fresh butter aromas, followed by notes of hazelnut and a touch of honey. The feel in the mouth is very delicate and fresh with candied lemon and fresh hazelnut aromas. The palate is silky and mineral with notes of honeysuckle, flaked almonds and clementine.

Grand Siècle Nº26 will pair beautifully with high quality produce and refined dishes, such as truffle, caviar, shellfish, noble fish and white meats. 

Blend: 58% Chardonnay, 42% Pinot Noir

Professional Ratings

• 100James Suckling

This is really something. Electric on the palate. The aromas are so complex with sliced fresh and dried ginger, subtle pie crust, tarte tatin and hints of nutmeg with some salted caramel. Toasted bread, too. Always subtle. The palate is full- to medium-bodied yet hemmed-in with a freshness and balance that draws you back. Savory and vibrant. It's full of energy. Spectacular. Fascinating. Symphonic blend of 2012, 2008 and 2007. 65% of the 2012, 25% of the 2008 and 10% of the 2007. Eight grand cru. Chardonnay 58% and 42% pinot noir. Disgorged February 2023. 10 years on the lees. 7g/L dosage.

• 97Wine Enthusiast

Tautly textured, the Champagne is delicious with a poise between white and citrus fruits along with touches of maturity coming through. Drink this magnificent wine now for its great balance and intensity.

• 96Decanter
    This iteration of Grand Siècle is almost entirely composed of two of Champagne's greatest recent vintages, so expectations are high. The wine more than meets them, tempering the generosity of 2012's fruit – ripe apricots, white peach, clementines and sunny, zesty citrus – with a pitch-perfect streak of 2008 tautness and structure. There are some fleshy, creamy notes of papaya and toasted white sourdough, but everything is as delicately rendered as expected and impeccably shaped, with a sleek, silky mousse. A little more approachable than Itération No. 25, it will welcome extended bottle age rather than demand it. The blend is 58% Chardonnay and 42% Pinot Noir from eight grand cru vineyards. 65% is from the 2012 vintage, 35% from 2008 and 10% from 2007.
  • 96Robert Parker's Wine Advocate

...Unfurling in the glass with scents of crisp nectarine, pear and honeyed citrus fruit that mingle with notions of fresh mint, blanched almonds and iodine, the wine is full-bodied, concentrated and tightly wound, with broad structural shoulders, tangy acids and a long, intense finish. It's a great Grand Siècle in the making.

• 95Wine Spectator

A graceful Champagne, with flavors of boysenberry and black cherry fruit, toast, blanched almond and grapefruit pith, graphite and fleur de sel gliding across the satiny mousse. Reveals racy acidity that sculpts fine definition, allowing the detailed profile to expand on the palate, while minerally hints of chalk and oyster shell linger on the finish. 

• Like 23
  • Thanks 13

Good morning friends! Temps this morning sit at 45F which is an amazing improvement over the past few nights.  However the high will only be 46 and then the temperatures dive back down into the teens for overnight.  Thankfully we will see sunshine!  After this next arctic chill we should see a major warmup next week.

Thank you Jacqui @kazu and Roy @rafinmd for the Fleet Report and Daily plus the maps for Friday, Jan. 19.  I don't plan on brewing a potion, but I would gladly celebrate Good Memory Day or National Popcorn Day!  The quote is nice.  I think I'd pass on the stew, strangely named cocktail and the unrecognizable (to me) wine.  A good day for electric lighting and Indira Gandhi but Lance Armstrong was not a good example for athletes.  My DSIL is a cyclist and I can't imagine him doing such an awful thing.  Thanks to Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard for the reports on food, cocktail and wine.

Prayers for my DB and DGD, friends Scott and Bob and their caregiver wives, to the people of Israel and Ukraine, the hostages kept against their will, and the US troops under fire daily at sea and on bases in the region.  Something needs to be done about that!  And last but not least, our Daily family members in pain, undergoing medical procedures and awaiting test results, under stress and grieving the loss of their loved ones and friends.  Sending congratulations to everyone with good news, happy events to celebrate and cruises to enjoy.  Thank you Vanessa @JazzyV for the great job keeping up the Care and Celebration lists!

The port today is Kangaroo Island, Penneshaw, South Australia.  This was the port on July 15, 2022, March 14, 2023 and 5 days later on March 19, 2023!  A glitch in the system I'm sure!  We have not visited that Australian port but wouldn't have objected to it.  Here are the three links for you.

Hoping everyone has a great start to their weekend.  Stay warm, stay safe and stay well!

• Like 28
  • Thanks 3

Today’s Care List:

Cruising sister’s great niece Murphy post-surgery, on CPAP, gtube

Vmax1700’s DW not feeling well

Ottahand7 with bronchitis and steroid side effects

JazzyV with right leg pain, tingling and numbness; trouble walking

All in the path of storms and frigid temperatures

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Marshhawk’s DH Chuck post angioplasty, needing another procedure

Tana with pulmonary issues

RMLincoln’s DH with glaucoma issues, medication allergy

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Kazu stepping up to keep the FR/Daily going while Rich is cruising

Denise T’s good fasting blood sugar

Cruzin Terri’s DH Jim holding his own

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

7 days for Tupper10 (Rotterdam Jan 26 to Feb 4) 9d Southern Caribbean

Sailingdutchy (Rotterdam to Feb 4, 21d PC Sunfarer & Southern Caribbean Seafarer),Ottahand7 (Eurodam to Feb 24 B2B2B2B2B Caribbean), Cruising-along (Volendam to April 6) 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage, Durangoscots (Volendam to April 6, 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage), cruising sister (Volendam to April 6, 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage), Cruisercl(Volendam to April 6, 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage), Richwmn (Volendam to May 4, Jan 3 94d Grand Australia & NZ Voyage + Apr 6 15d PC Cruise + Apr 21 The Atlantic Cruise), Cat in my lap (Zuiderdam to May 11, 128d Grand World Voyage) and Aliaschief (Azamara Onward WC to June 9, 156d World Voyage)

• Like 26
  • Thanks 16

Good morning Dailyites and thank you for the Daily Report! 

I will post an update here if I hear anything today about the job.

On our HAL cruise last month, we were sitting in port at Grand Turk. It was mostly overcast, and cool, with some rain and a very windy day. We stayed onboard and spent most of the day in the aft Seaview pool area. We noticed the ship seemed to shake for a couple of seconds several times an hour.  Just after the horn was heard that we were leaving port in the next thirty minutes, the captain had his afternoon talk. He spoke about what we felt that day and his explanation was the following. We had waves hitting the ship at the same time as winds blew in the opposite direction. He said the ship had the “shivers”.  The reason for this story is that when we heard our forecast for this weekend last night, the weather girl said we would get the shivers on Saturday and Sunday if we were out and about in the morning, Suzi and I both looked at each other at the same time and I said the “shivers” we had on the NS were warmer than the “shivers” we will have this weekend… 😊    

• Like 31
  • Haha 8

Good morning. Just getting up after staying up too late enjoying our opening show at sea last night. I should have followed Sue and called it a night after our specialty restaurant dining. Haven’t looked at Insider yet but I’m sure there are lots of choices. First choice will be coffee. Other than lectures my main choice is to get into my next book. The Kindle is loaded.

Thanks for the Fleet Report and thoughts and prayers for those in need.

Have a great day. Bruce

image.jpeg.e13d0763f719ef370f2730803699ea9e.jpegimage.jpeg.66bd09c2f857fe7f8098d213aa4dfad9.jpegimage.jpeg.e404b5239327d9090025b09c90f35ca9.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.419ba27c9fda25073b3e16388c161690.jpeg

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 18

Fox River Cocktail:

1 sugar cube
5 dashes peach bitters
ice
2 tsp crème de cacao
2 oz whiskey
1 lemon peel
Preparation

Saturate sugar cube in peach bitters by placing the cube into a rocks glass and pouring enough peach bitters over cube to saturate.
Place 1 large ice cube (or a few smaller ice cubes) in the glass. Pour crème de cacao into the glass, then add whiskey. Squeeze a lemon peel over the top and stir slightly (3 to 4 swirls of the wrist – no bar utensils needed). Serve.

Screenshot 2024-01-19 at 7.31.09 AM.png

• Like 14
  • Thanks 18

Greetings from beautiful Punta Gorda 

Just back from the golf course as it started to rain, what else is new

Good quote today

We love popcorn and munch on it for our afternoon snack at least 4 days a week

For 78 I have excellent memory 

Uh, I forgot what I was going to say next😉

Have a great day and stay well

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

Hmm - don't know what to think about brewing a good potion, but anytime we can improve memory is good and I like popcorn but the hulls make me nuts!

Would try the meal, maybe the drink but not the brut ($$!!), not been to the port.

Currently a nippy 28° feels like 18°, headed to windy 36° with rain coming on a few days but temps should be above freezing. 

Vet says young dog needs to be weighed before they'll refill the flea tick heartworm Rx so I hope the forecast is wrong - I don’t want to put her in the car in the rain. If it lapses by a day, they do a heartworm test, so I need to get her in.

Prayers and positive thoughts for all. 

20240119_064416.thumb.jpg.f457c86675f6537240a55646db6cb4db.jpg

Edited by Haljo1935
Additional comment
  • Like 30
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning, thanks for the daily fleet report.  Another cold day with snow in the forecast.  Today’s meal suggestion sounds good and I’d like a potion of something when the work week is done.  Yesterday’s data center migration was horribly run by the customer and things ran over six hours late.  We eventually got them in a reasonable spot with lots more follow up today.  I didn’t have a chance to read yesterday’s daily.  I hope everyone has a good day today.

image.thumb.png.ad61cf0d01ea78ed8853644d5cf4c09c.png

• Like 28
  • Haha 6

Happy TGIF everyone and thanks to Rich, Roy, Vanessa, Dixie, Debbie & Ann for their dedication.

Interesting collection of days.  We all need to focus on our good memories and popcorn is so yummy 🙂  I really like today’s quote. Some great days in history and an infamous one.  

IMG_1966.thumb.jpeg.0021a6f39241aefdf1e6cbe39191d7b0.jpeg

It’s a very cold one today - -20 C (-4 F) 🥶 Not as bad as Gerry’s frozen tundra but definitely dog coat weather and if it gets much colder - it’s no dog walk weather ‘sigh’.  Had my other guy out last night to work on the driveway some more.  It’s declared a bust after some work so more de-icer and gravel ‘sigh’.  I feel like just hiding inside.

IMG_1973.thumb.jpeg.fd62ba8e8a3a0be6d4be0f48aedeeeab.jpeg

Sorry the thread was late this morning.  Awakened too many times last night and difficulty getting back to sleep.  Once I did, I slept in.

Prayers for those on the Care list, those suffering losses, grieving, pain, health problems, worries and those that need them 🙏. Cheers to those celebrating and cruising 🥂 

IMG_1458.jpeg.800aa945741f153944e942b8e9a27a01.jpeg

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 16

Just now, kazu said:

Happy TGIF everyone and thanks to Rich, Roy, Vanessa, Dixie, Debbie & Ann for their dedication.

Interesting collection of days.  We all need to focus on our good memories and popcorn is so yummy 🙂  I really like today’s quote. Some great days in history and an infamous one.  

IMG_1966.thumb.jpeg.0021a6f39241aefdf1e6cbe39191d7b0.jpeg

It’s a very cold one today - -20 C (-4 F) 🥶 Not as bad as Gerry’s frozen tundra but definitely dog coat weather and if it gets much colder - it’s no dog walk weather ‘sigh’.  Had my other guy out last night to work on the driveway some more.  It’s declared a bust after some work so more de-icer and gravel ‘sigh’.  I feel like just hiding inside.

IMG_1973.thumb.jpeg.fd62ba8e8a3a0be6d4be0f48aedeeeab.jpeg

Sorry the thread was late this morning.  Awakened too many times last night and difficulty getting back to sleep.  Once I did, I slept in.

Prayers for those on the Care list, those suffering losses, grieving, pain, health problems, worries and those that need them 🙏. Cheers to those celebrating and cruising 🥂 

IMG_1458.jpeg.800aa945741f153944e942b8e9a27a01.jpeg

We hate flying and what’s happening lately has reinforced our reasons.

• Like 19

Happy Friday to all and thanks for the daily and fleet report.  Had popcorn last night so may need to have some tonight, and I forget how to make the potions to make some people disappear! 🤭 Like the quote and the meal sounds delicious but not the drink and I can't afford the "wine"!! Never been to the port.  3 interesting history days.

IMG_4099.thumb.JPG.a271ddb023aa571f85d33e500c9f07cd.JPG

I am glad it is Friday because the weekend is just around the corner!  It is a nice start to the day with the temps at 45F and we will get up to mid 70s with mostly cloudy skies.  We are expecting rain on Sunday but we will see.

Off to sub today for the Jr High Technology class.  Should be fun.  

Thoughts for those on the care list.  @seagarsmoker I am keeping my 🤞that you get good news today.  Cheers for those celebrating.

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

Snow again today in north New Jersey!  My! This has been a different experience than I expected but we’re in the storm track and they just keep coming. Tomorrow will be clear and colder. Granddaughter and husband plan to come help us with some home-improvement work.🤞 Next week our travel day south to Maryland should be ok Monday; coming back north Wednesday could be rainy. Car needs the salt washed off!  We have a back-up plan to stay at a friend’s if needed if the weather looks bad or if the surgeon wants us to stay longer.  Can only wait and see. 

Sorry to hear Chuck @Catmandu will need deeper surgery coming up soon!  Hoping he can recover well enough from this round. And that the neighbors’ pipes didn’t freeze and break!  That’s a mess that no one wants to come home to. Good luck Annie!  

And good luck to @seagarsmoker on the job! Hope it’s a good opportunity for you 👍

@Cruzin Terri hoping the podiatrist can help your foot, and fast!  

Glad you made it home ok Paul @kochleffel .  And enjoy your treasures from Total Wine. 

@ottahand7 Nancy, we’re all sending out out best hopes to you for quick improvement!  Thanks for the updates. I’m so glad John is with you!  Not the adventure you envisioned!  💔

We had a full day with a lot of different kinds of things to do, and got most done, but it started with sad news for me with a NM friend’s sudden death. She was much younger than I and seemed quite well. Seems her fatal episode was an aortic aneurysm which is often catastrophic and without warning. She died in emergency surgery. It is a long way to the hospital from there, a factor in our decision to move.  She played guitar at our little country church. The church family which was very close in such a small community is in shock. I feel the same shock two thousand miles away. I was on the phone talking and texted on and off all day. Had trouble getting to sleep last night. One day at a time is Everything!  

Sending blessings to all in need, all on our Care list - thanks Vanessa, and haul in your share of those blessings!  We’re all waiting on better days with you!  
Cheers for those celebrating!  Life is Good 🌈

Smooth travels to those away, especially our cruisers. May you get home safely. I’ll be looking forward to a time when we can get back to cruising but right now I’m focused on being Grateful for the opportunities we have to help DH. Thank you for your support!  It’s such a huge help!  
Prayers for Peace in our hearts, our families, our countries and the world. 
m—

• Like 30
  • Thanks 6

Happy Friday! The weekend is here. Thanks for the Daily and Fleet reports. 

It is snowing here. Getting anywhere from 2 to 6 inches depending on which news source you prefer. It will be snowing the entire day. 

Not much going on today. Working from home. Grading assignments and then a committee meeting. Staying warm. Fancy will have problems with the snow. She loves it when it is not actively snowing. She does not like precipitation falling on her. Such a diva. 

264 days until my cruise!

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

image.png.ccf08ee8fd77e1461a2fdf62e3996b9f.png

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Good morning, everyone!

It is a chilly start to the day here in mid-Michigan.  It is currently 12F with a projected high of 16F.  After tonight we will gradually start to warm up.  Weather is still looking good for our flight to San Diego. Tonight we're celebrating DB Bill's birthday and retirement.  He doesn't know it, but DS Mary Jo and DBIL Mitch are joining us tonight for Farkel.  I am making Bill's favorite, beef stroganoff.  We'll have salad, biscuits, and Mom's tender tiny peas.  And chocolate cake for dessert. No wine as this group doesn't drink.  

Sometimes popcorn is dinner.  We had popcorn the other night for dinner as we just weren't hungry enough for much else.  The potion I care most about at this time of day is coffee.  Keep it coming!

@seagarsmoker Fingers and toes are still crossed for you!

@RMLincoln I am sorry to hear of the death of your friend.  My dad had an aortic aneurysm.  It was touch and go with him for a while, but to all the doctors' surprise, he pulled through.  

Today's meal sounds good to me.  As long as I didn't tell anyone what was in it, I could get away with it.  But if they knew, they'd start complaining about it being too spicy.  So, many times I don't tell them what I put in things.  They like it just fine.  https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/pork-and-green-chile-stew

Porkandgreenchilistew1.png.90a63e3d0bdddd067ab55a27dda3b0ef.png

This one has more of a broth/gravy to it as a stew normally would.  https://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/a39562420/green-chili-pork-stew-recipe/

porkandgreenchilistew2.thumb.jpg.b1badf9d8a2503717c24fd12644df1d9.jpg

Lastly, we have this rendition from Ree Drummond.  https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ree-drummond/green-chili-pork-stew-6565478

porkandgreenchilistew3.thumb.jpeg.5ad73e0145d7c191c734a7e870e09c6d.jpeg

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 23
  • Thanks 15

Good cold and snowy morning. It’s supposed to snow all day and then be bitter cold tomorrow.

I’m so tired of winter.

There is a gourmet popcorn company in Lancaster County called Emma’s with many different flavors  They do ship. Right now for Valentines they have Red Velvet flavor.

Stay safe and warm. Please 🙏 for Steve and his wife. She spent over an hour trying to get him out of the recliner last night after the pain meds kicked in. She plans on getting a motorized chair today.

• Like 29
  • Thanks 3