LIVE!!! ICON OF THE SEAS INAUGURAL

Fantastic updates. Little over a month till we sail. 

What is the seating like for lounging by the pool/chill island? Enough shade for a pale one like me.

Good to hear WJ is doing well. Will miss the solarium bistro though, any decent alternatives?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Morecruisesplz said:

As fast as paying cruisers arrive onboard!

It will likely be there for the revenue inaugural (Wonder had a similar spread for its revenue inaugural) but that's it.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Specialty dining for this sailing is by invitation only.  Tonight we received an invitation to Chops with my account manager, another account manager from Western Canada and her assistant.

Chops on Icon has the same menu as the rest of the Fleet plus an added selection of Iconic cuts, of course for an upcharge but for our sailing were free.Screenshot_20240123_230542_Royal.thumb.jpg.93a4a5a2eda6e67ab23c68e3b2c304e0.jpg

I stuck with my tradition of shrimp cocktail, forest Mushroom soup and the filet except this time I chose the Iconic Wegu Filet.  Screenshot_20240123_230542_Royal.thumb.jpg.93a4a5a2eda6e67ab23c68e3b2c304e0.jpg

It was the best steak hands down thst I have had on a ship and something that I would even consider paying for on a future sailing.20240123_210217.thumb.jpg.7df9afbb4d3f9fb6ed51e38d253d04e1.jpg

One in our group ordered the 32 Oz tomahawk and left only a bare bone.  A serious case of the meat sweats will surely follow.

20240123_200711.thumb.jpg.ed56f6b91762e3d94519cb5a5aec587d.jpg

20240123_202751.thumb.jpg.ef7ead1367aa24d0d8444de40d1e7446.jpg

Those steaks look amazing. I would sail on her just to eat at Chops with the enhanced cuts.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

57 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Those steaks look amazing. I would sail on her just to eat at Chops with the enhanced cuts.

I've got the UDP booked for our Icon sailing in November...  I've got a bad feeling that I'm going to spending a lot extra on those Tomahawk steaks.  

• Like 9

5 hours ago, caribbeanfever said:

Do you know if the Infinite Balcony Central Park balconies follow the same alternating pattern as the Oasis/Oceanview balcony cabins?  Also, do you have access to take a picture of these cabins?  

Same pattern for all balconies. 

This is bed by the bath which is awkward with the closet. 17061320602145548623795822116572.thumb.jpg.02d5344de23e827e8480026eab666ce1.jpg

17061321410136751927506196198538.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

Matt of RCI Blog has a 1+ hour report on Icon.  Just about every aspect is covered.  $200 pp for Empire Supper Club.  Wow.  I was totally overwhelmed with what Icon has to offer.  The Pearl, the Aquadome are amazing as is the extra wide Promenade. Your own personal impressions would be very welcome in here.

This ship truly seems to be a destination in itself.  Any Caribbean beach break pales in comparison.  I just don't care for the colors. Maybe I have to be there to appreciate it?

Like I said earlier, new favorite ship.  The colors make it vome alive.  Som many more dpaces, food venues, places to sit and relax.  Adults only area on deck 15 aft is awesome.

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

I've got the UDP booked for our Icon sailing in November...  I've got a bad feeling that I'm going to spending a lot extra on those Tomahawk steaks.  

I'm changing my Giovannis reservation next week to Chops so I can pay more for that Wegu Filet.  

• Like 8
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Like I said earlier, new favorite ship.  The colors make it vome alive.  Som many more dpaces, food venues, places to sit and relax.  Adults only area on deck 15 aft is awesome.

would that be a good sail away area for us all to meet at?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

would that be a good sail away area for us all to meet at?

While it is accessible it requires a lift and you cant get close to the edge.  One of the upper decks on the side would be better or even on 16 there are good views from the aft.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Adults only area on deck 15 aft is awesome.

Glad to hear this. I was/am really upset about losing Cloud 17 and getting Hideaway in its place. I like to just sit in the sun and read (and get some shade at some point). Is the music terribly loud? 

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Same pattern for all balconies. 

17061321410136751927506196198538.jpg

I am happy to see a plug next to the bed.  Means I won't have to hang a cord across the ceiling to be able to plug in my Trilogy (CPAP)!  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, erby2283 said:

Glad to hear this. I was/am really upset about losing Cloud 17 and getting Hideaway in its place. I like to just sit in the sun and read (and get some shade at some point). Is the music terribly loud? 

Not at all. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

I vote for getting the Wagyu Filet. 

• Like 1

Just now, Sea Dog said:

I vote for getting the Wagyu Filet. 

Or maybe one the first day and a different one on the second day 🙂 

I'm sure I'll be there at least twice.  With lunches probably 4 times 😇

• Like 4

Just now, Tree_skier said:

Or maybe one the first day and a different one on the second day 🙂 

I'm sure I'll be there at least twice.  With lunches probably 4 times 😇

Good plan! Go enough times to try everything and give us a full report.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, Mongo69 said:

Fantastic updates. Little over a month till we sail. 

What is the seating like for lounging by the pool/chill island? Enough shade for a pale one like me.

Good to hear WJ is doing well. Will miss the solarium bistro though, any decent alternatives?

We will look as this is something that my DW is very interested in. So stay tuned.

17 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

A few random observations.

The new elevators are fantastic.  No more throngs of people pushing their way into each elevator then stopping at every floor.  The most stops I have made is 2.  Waiting an extra minute or two to get an elevator that then makes few stops is definitely a plus.

Windjammer is laid out like Wonder.  Very efficient, made to order omlettes at the very back, many miss thelis so it doesn't appear to be busy.

Bed configuration is yhe same as Oasis class with the cabin on the right side of a connecting pair having the bed by the balcony.  This ship does have the closer near the bed like Oasis and Allure to it is a tight squeeze with the bed by the bath so a definite preference for bed by the balcony on this class of ships. 

Nice! My wife and I were asked to test this new concept when we were sailing on the Symphony. Basically this was in development and they set up and entire elevator bank in one of the lower conference rooms. We were tasked to get to certain destinations on the Icon and give our feedback. Glad to see that is now in fully swing and being received well. 

Edited by Mreimer
  • Like 1

On 1/24/2024 at 7:52 AM, twangster said:

No Icon cruises booked right now.  I've been busy on another RCG brand.  Just had a phenomenal cruise to Antarctica on them and have booked a few more on that line.  

Turns out I'm more of small ship cruiser although I am sitting on Mariner right now and have two upcoming weekend getaways on Allure.  Beyond that I find myself looking at other lines for the price of admission on Icon.

I've said it before... if I'm paying luxury rates I'm going to sail a luxury line.   Putting my wallet behind that statement.

we just started to look at that brand too and feel the same, we have no issue paying luxury prices, but want a luxury product.  Our daily price on Wonder GS that we’re boarding Sunday is just about the same as the daily price we were looking at on SS, and SS offers way more.

Im going to read your review now. Thanks!

3 hours ago, schooner_Drinker said:

Elevators are great

That’s how MSC have been doing it for past 5 years.

Good to see Royal checking out how the competition do it 👍🏻

Doesn’t take too long to master it

Do Star Class get override like Yacht Club - That is a nice perk also.

@Ourusualbeach Ken, are the bathroom doors the magnetic kind ?

We have on Ascent, and our neighbors like to P at 4am and, that door sure makes a bang.

Thats why I’m up way too early.

Designers sure need to install something to dampen that clunk.

Nancy 😴

Ear plugs and white noise block everything, even the kids running up and down the halls.  On the smaller ships like Radiance class, I baffle the bathroom and closet doors so I don’t hear anything from the hall.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, schooner_Drinker said:

We use ear plugs and also have a white noise machine 👍🏻

Unfortunately still can hear the magnetic bathroom doors clunking 

if only for that the cabin would be perfect 

We leave ours open, but appreciate not everyone will 

The ones on Ascent have a very nice night light under sink so no need to have door closed .

1st world problems we know 😎

Nancy 😵‍💫

I am glad to sleep deeper than most, so I never hear anything. But I see your point. We will be looking for places that us seasoned citizens can go and be away from the crowds.

• Like 1