LIVE!!! ICON OF THE SEAS INAUGURAL

2 hours ago, KmomChicago said:

@Ourusualbeach to be sure I understand - you are posting here on this thread for both the preview and inaugural?  I don’t want to miss if there is a separate post. 

And if you have explained previously or if this is too nosy I apologize, by what means did you get invited to the final preview / shakedown cruise? 

What I really want to know is how much better Icon class is than Oasis class. It obviously is bigger, but not drastically bigger. And some of that extra tonnage is to provide more bedrooms for passengers and crew, so how many more  / how much larger are the public spaces and features and amenities than Oasis?

Chris Wong (yes he is Royal Caribbean Dude here on CC but posts infrequently) has said it’s the best cruise ship in the world and it should be. I expect that. So how wide is that margin when RCI is competing only with itself?

I patiently await your assessment. 

I may be posting a few pictures.  With all the pictures and videos that are out there on other social media there is not much that has not been shown.

I received an invitation as a travel agent.

Interesting fact. here are actually less cabins on Icon than there are on Wonder.  2867 on wonder and 2805 on Icon, they just have more cabins that hold more than 2 guests (80%)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, BecciBoo said:

I'll try to get you a review of our room then....It's right back of the elevator bank..just steps away.  It was the cheapest ADA I could get at the time, but it looks like a pretty good location now, we go up or down to nearly anything but the pools and I can walk that short a distance with patience.  Also, I saw a video on the slides today and it showed the steps leading up to the top, they are surprisingly not steep at all so I think I'll be able to do some of those too.  Woohoo.  If anybody wants to see it  at the 2:00 mark it shows the steps, more steps than stairs...like it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=um3ssjj_7Ok

Impressive slides and I agree about the steps.  Go for it!

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I may be posting a few pictures.  With all the pictures and videos that are out there on other social media there is not much that has not been shown.

I received an invitation as a travel agent.

Interesting fact. here are actually less cabins on Icon than there are on Wonder.  2867 on wonder and 2805 on Icon, they just have more cabins that hold more than 2 guests (80%)

Ooh that is an interesting fact indeed. So that is likely one way to save a bit of $$, those kids or 3/4 guests half off or whatever.  Thanks!

47 minutes ago, KmomChicago said:

Ooh that is an interesting fact indeed. So that is likely one way to save a bit of $$, those kids or 3/4 guests half off or whatever.  Thanks!

You won't be saving any money booking this ship. Insane prices even with 4 in a room or ksf. 

• Like 8

On 1/21/2024 at 9:18 AM, Ourusualbeach said:

I have heard from my rep that there will be one at CocoCay for us

Since you are on 2 cruises, which one will have the fireworks? I want to see them. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Mreimer said:

We will be there on the 27th as well. We are also booked for May. Look forward to meeting everyone and the new Icon!

Welcome and we are looking forward to hopefully meeting you also.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, KmomChicago said:

Or adults that act like kids! That's how we saved money. We booked close to when bookings opened and with three adults (best friends) sharing an ocean view balcony, we paid around $1,145 p/p through our TA who had group space. 

Edited by erby2283
  • Like 2

On 1/20/2024 at 4:41 AM, cruisinghawg said:

icon-arrival-miami-banner-larger.thumb.jpg.96cff66555fee83f9cbf9ed67124a5a5.jpg

Come along with our crew of experienced cruisers consisting of @Ozark_Kid, @ReneeFLL with the occasional assist from @Ourusualbeach. Each will bring a different perspective to this new ship, one that we hope will be very entertaining and cover the vast spaces on board that may be hard for one person to do. If there are any others going and would like to contribute PLEASE do so. We aim to cover as much as possible thus starting a week early as one of our members will be on her this Tuesday for the second TA cruise. 

I am sure we will see packed luggage, airports, hotel rooms, video of driving up to the port and sad puppy dog faces as we leave but rest assured we aim to answer your questions in a timely manner. So you can start asking today or posting if you would like to chip in.

So come along and live this with us!!

Thank you for sharing!

Our family of 10 will be on in March. We have booked adjoining rooms on deck 8. Heard a rumour that the balcony sides don't open. If you are able and have time could you please confirm for me.

Also, interested in the casitas. Any comments would be very much appreciated.

Enjoy your time.

• Like 2

Hello everyone. I’m enjoying all the info. and pictures coming out. I have been researching and looking to see where on Icon, the Chef’s Table will be. I understand the private table for 12 will be in a portion off of Hooked but couldn’t find any info regarding chefs table. On Wonder, it was a special table in the dining room which was very nice. Thank you for any info. 

1 hour ago, maudde said:

Hello everyone. I’m enjoying all the info. and pictures coming out. I have been researching and looking to see where on Icon, the Chef’s Table will be. I understand the private table for 12 will be in a portion off of Hooked but couldn’t find any info regarding chefs table. On Wonder, it was a special table in the dining room which was very nice. Thank you for any info. 

I don't believe that Icon has Chefs Table. It  has Celebration Table and Empire Club. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/21/2024 at 2:25 PM, SilkySal said:

We'll have #9179 interior in November, 2025. Sigh, it seems like a fairly long wait but trying to have patience.

We were assigned this cabin (booked as an interior GTY) for the Feb 24 sailing.  I’ll try to remember to post photos for you!

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, westcoastBC said:

Thank you for sharing!

Our family of 10 will be on in March. We have booked adjoining rooms on deck 8. Heard a rumour that the balcony sides don't open. If you are able and have time could you please confirm for me.

Also, interested in the casitas. Any comments would be very much appreciated.

Enjoy your time.

Do you have 2 infinity balcony's? If not we are on the 14th deck with the traditional balcony and will check. All the casita's are sold out as of this time but you could check each day to see if there is a cancellation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The sea calls my name said:

That is really interesting as it isn't listed on the app or Cruise Planner.  Maybe it is sold out and that is why. I hope that is the case.

My sailing isn’t until October so if yours is sooner it very well could be sold out 

Our flight was delayed by about 40 minutes today but we are here.  Low 70's in Miami but it is most certainly a lot better than dealing with the -10 but feels like -20 back home.  

Since Vikki could not take time off (downside to being a teacher), I brought along my sister for the 3 day preview sailing and then my son will join me for the inaugural.

Our flight wasn't getting in until late afternoon so I booked a new hotel by the Airport.  Tru by Hilton.  Clean and comfortable with a bar on deck 10 (more time on ships than in hotels foes that to you) great views of the airport.

Went to a Cuban restaurant that was a $15 Uber away called Versailles.  Will be taking Toby there on Fridsy between cruises.  Excellent food and very reasonable prices.  

• Like 20

33 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Our flight was delayed by about 40 minutes today but we are here.  Low 70's in Miami but it is most certainly a lot better than dealing with the -10 but feels like -20 back home.  

Since Vikki could not take time off (downside to being a teacher), I brought along my sister for the 3 day preview sailing and then my son will join me for the inaugural.

Our flight wasn't getting in until late afternoon so I booked a new hotel by the Airport.  Tru by Hilton.  Clean and comfortable with a bar on deck 10 (more time on ships than in hotels foes that to you) great views of the airport.

Went to a Cuban restaurant that was a $15 Uber away called Versailles.  Will be taking Toby there on Fridsy between cruises.  Excellent food and very reasonable prices.  

Thankful you safely made it to Miami.   

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Went to a Cuban restaurant that was a $15 Uber away called Versailles.

Versailles is lovely. Back when we were still startup sized, work would take all of us on an RCI cruise as an annual company retreat since we've always been fully remote. Breakfast at Versailes after disembarking was a time honored tradition I miss dearly. Always worth a visit.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, KmomChicago said:

@Ourusualbeach to be sure I understand - you are posting here on this thread for both the preview and inaugural?  I don’t want to miss if there is a separate post. 

And if you have explained previously or if this is too nosy I apologize, by what means did you get invited to the final preview / shakedown cruise? 

What I really want to know is how much better Icon class is than Oasis class. It obviously is bigger, but not drastically bigger. And some of that extra tonnage is to provide more bedrooms for passengers and crew, so how many more  / how much larger are the public spaces and features and amenities than Oasis?

Chris Wong (yes he is Royal Caribbean Dude here on CC but posts infrequently) has said it’s the best cruise ship in the world and it should be. I expect that. So how wide is that margin when RCI is competing only with itself?

I patiently await your assessment. 

Biggest is not best per se. I am not sure how many frequent travellers would agree that those are the best ships in the World….