Most Overpriced RCL Add On

1 hour ago, h20skibum said:

When we were at the Beach Club a couple weeks ago, only two fools had booked those $4,000 cabanas.  The rest sat empty. 

I guess Royal figures it is easier to find two willing to pay $4,000 than it is to find ten willing to pay $800.

On my last sailing All of the beach club over the water cabanas were empty and looked like the ones in south beach area had 1 or 2 rented out.     Smart marketing🤣

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

On my last sailing All of the beach club over the water cabanas were empty and looked like the ones in south beach area had 1 or 2 rented out.     Smart marketing🤣

As more people realize that the free chairs and umbrella areas are just fine and the regular buffet on CocaCay is fine, the less those overpriced cabanas are being purchased. Only been once but that was enough for me to be glad I saved $3k by not renting at that price, for what, barely 8 hours of use, realistically 6 hours maybe?? Who are these people renting then and what do they do for a living???! 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, blueslily said:

??????

Sure 

I'm not sure what you're questioning.  EVERY item for sale is priced as high as the seller thinks will get the most profit.  If things don't sell, the price goes down.  Economics 101.  

1 hour ago, blueslily said:

Do you know if these are new cruisers or not? I wonder if they are new cruisers and just don't know any better ? Meaning they don't know how much of a ripoff that is. Just wondering.

I'm wondering the same thing.  Based on reports we're seeing on ships recently there is a very high number of new cruisers.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Another_Critic said:

Supply and demand.

2 sea days vs 9 sea days

3 port days vs 5 port days.

image.png.13df664e3afd6113a2eb39649417ee77.png

I got it for $80 on a port day on Navigator recently... I wasn't planning on getting off the ship so it seemed like good value to me. 🙂 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

I got it for $80 on a port day on Navigator recently... I wasn't planning on getting off the ship so it seemed like good value to me. 🙂 

We are looking for high prices. You are a frugal rascal who got it for the right price. I would be very tempted to reserve it for that price. No, I would break weak from my previous past of not paying additional monies for that price. There, I said it, everyone has their price.

🙂

VERY good purchase.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

I'm not sure what you're questioning.  EVERY item for sale is priced as high as the seller thinks will get the most profit.  If things don't sell, the price goes down.  Economics 101.  

Economics 101 is not what I was questioning. Have a great evening. Take care. 

4 hours ago, FionaMG said:

I thought I had it won! 😂

I think we're paying under $300 for the one I booked for our Oasis cruise next month. I know it's expensive, but worth it to me to have at least one sea day where we don't have to fight the chair hog fight, have the choice of shade (me) vs. sun (wife) and can come and go as we please along with some wait service and relaxation feeling the sea breeze as we cruise along. 🙂

• Like 1

It is easy. There are millions cruisers and a small number of something. People have different approaches to vacations. Aside from people for whom money do not matter (matter, but on the different level), there are people who would take less vacations, but will go all in. Royal knows it, so they can try to get as much money as they can. Worse comes to worst they will sell it at discount. 

1 hour ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

Be a pain to carry that around all day.....😂

Hello,

But a bargain if filled to the brim with the drink ordered.

Regards,

Cublet

12 hours ago, fletch1027 said:

I think we're paying under $300 for the one I booked for our Oasis cruise next month. I know it's expensive, but worth it to me to have at least one sea day where we don't have to fight the chair hog fight, have the choice of shade (me) vs. sun (wife) and can come and go as we please along with some wait service and relaxation feeling the sea breeze as we cruise along. 🙂

Make sure you go up on day one, scout out the one you want and reserve it- it says to do it the day of your reservation, but we wanted a shady one (and not many are) and one facing the water, not the pool deck, so we scouted ours out and told the bartender at Lime and coconut before we even embarked, and he wrote us in for the one we requested. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Scottdalfonso said:

Make sure you go up on day one, scout out the one you want and reserve it- it says to do it the day of your reservation, but we wanted a shady one (and not many are) and one facing the water, not the pool deck, so we scouted ours out and told the bartender at Lime and coconut before we even embarked, and he wrote us in for the one we requested. 

EXCELLENT ADVICE!

I have noticed that many of them face the sun after 12pm on a hot day with people trying to shade their eyes or covering up under towels.

Under those circumstances, it did not seem much more attractive than the chairs around them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

Be a pain to carry that around all day.....😂

"It ain't heavy, it's my lifetime drinking package."

Ten years later, as the liver fails on the ambulance ride: "Sir, you have to let go of the 'Royal' drinking chalice."

"I would rather die than leave this fabulous chalice behind." (Shades of Indiana Jones and the Holy Grail crossing the forbidden area).

So let it be written, so let it be done. (Ten Commandments, 1956).

To some cruisers, a drinking package is everything.

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, goldfish65 said:

The CocoCay bungalows. Suppose the weather is crappy. 

Yes! If I was paying $3,499 for a Coco Cay bungalow, it might be worth it to pay $349 in insurance against a day with 3 to 4 foot waves and 25 mile-per-hour winds that make it unusable.

Sad to say, no such insurance exist on shore excursions.

As long as the ship can tie to the dock, nothing gets refunded.

Something to consider.......

• Like 1

Just now, Engineroom Snipe said:

Yes! If I was paying $3,499 for a Coco Cay bungalow, it might be worth it to pay $349 in insurance against a day with 3 to 4 foot waves and 25 mile-per-hour winds that make it unusable.

Sad to say, no such insurance exist on shore excursions.

As long as the ship can tie to the dock, nothing gets refunded.

Something to consider.......

Pre-Covid we got a 50% refund on our beach front cabana at Barefoot due to thunderstorms.  The ship was docked and we discovered the credit on the TV the next day. We also used the cabana. 

That’s not to say it still happens today, but it did for us on one occasion.

19 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

Pre-Covid we got a 50% refund on our beach front cabana at Barefoot due to thunderstorms.  The ship was docked and we discovered the credit on the TV the next day. We also used the cabana. 

That’s not to say it still happens today, but it did for us on one occasion.

This is a great thing and obviously you felt it was reasonable which is what I would hope to be "good customer relations."

Were you waving your golf club in the air during the lightning? (Reference to Caddyshack movie as the priest missed the last hole on his perfect game on the golf course.)

Edited by Engineroom Snipe
typo

9 hours ago, Scottdalfonso said:

That's great advice for all! We did that on an Odyssey cruise because we wanted one near the splash pads so we could keep an eye on a 7 year old 🙂

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

EXCELLENT ADVICE!

I have noticed that many of them face the sun after 12pm on a hot day with people trying to shade their eyes or covering up under towels.

Under those circumstances, it did not seem much more attractive than the chairs around them.

We will be on Oasis and have one reserved for Day 6 (sea day between St. Thomas and Coco). If we're sailing west I may try and figure out which side will be in he shade lol

I'm only on the pool deck on sea days because I need the breeze to offset the sun. I hate being out in the sun with no breeze. I can imagine casitas on port days can get like a convection oven lol