What are your thoughts on discussing politics in the MDR?

thermal

This thread further explains why anytime dining is growing in popularity. Discussing controversial topics with complete strangers is rarely a good idea but some people just can't help telling the world what they think. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Perhaps the new topic to be avoided is Taylor Swift :).  

If there is one topic I enjoy it is the Taylor Swift Ticketmaster controversy. Anything that brings a little pain to Live Nation brings me a little joy😜. But that is a story for another forum obviously (or a cruise😂). 

Edited by ilikeanswers

I am usually able to deflect conversations away from politics.  Actually, I do that to preserve my dignity.  I am the guy who gets loud and will soon be embarrassing my wife.  There is no upside to that.

I have no problem if somebody asks what I did for a living.  My prior life usually leads to a conversational dead end, but I then get to learn about my table mates.

One time I decided to have a little fun.  Mrs. XBGuy likes to sleep late, but I tend to get up and go have something to eat.  We have a similar routine when we are on a cruise.  I often have breakfast in the buffet.  When searching for a table, I usually look for one that has two or three people but with a few empty seats.  I invite myself to have one of the empty seats.  I've only been denied once.  That was OK I found a seat 20 feet away.  

But I diverge.

One morning I was at a table with a charming couple when I was asked what I did for a living.

"Me, oh, I'm a Viking.  I love being on a real ship--not a floating hotel like this--feeling the salt air in my beard which my wife asked me to shave for this trip.  Of course, the pillaging is great."

The lady sitting across the table from me did not miss a beat, "Oh, I just love your uniforms."

3 hours ago, clo said:

Or "I could tell you but then I'd have to kill you."

That’s a dead giveaway.

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

If you include Travis in the topic you can melt a lot of snowflakes. 

4 minutes ago, CPT Trips said:

If you include Travis in the topic you can melt a lot of snowflakes. 

I had to think a sec: who's Travis 🙂 'Course I understand she was a billion dollar machine so maybe worth chatting about.

38 minutes ago, clo said:

I had to think a sec: who's Travis 🙂 'Course I understand she was a billion dollar machine so maybe worth chatting about.

Which, at the end of the day, is a depressing symbol of the depth to which our culture has sunk.   

“Taylor Swift - person of the year”. — wow, just wow!

Of course, the degradation of popular magazines tended to signal our direction:  Life Magazine , then People Magazine, then Us Magazine, finally Self Magazine.

Things keep getting narrower, more self absorbed.

Back on topic: just what is it that makes someone “worth chatting about”?

20 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Which, at the end of the day, is a depressing symbol of the depth to which our culture has sunk.   

Of course, the degradation of popular magazines tended to signal our direction:  Life Magazine , then People Magazine, then Us Magazine, finally Self Magazine.

Totally agree. Worth chatting about? In our personal lives? Sure.  Outside of there? Can't really think of?

21 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Good question...seems appalling behavior, being a train wreck, as long as they are wealthy and attractive is the standard 

53 minutes ago, CPT Trips said:

Cricket World Cup.

Oh, she-gawd no! Decades ago I worked for QANTAS in their SF office. When cricket came along I was tempted to put on/in earplugs 🙂

On 1/28/2024 at 6:44 PM, Kristelle said:

And nothing about people is any of our business - but wouldn't be much conversation if we never asked people about themselves or shared about ourselves.

No matter what is said in this thread, I still will not understand how discussing occupations in a setting where people are getting to know one another is so bad but then again, we live in a time when people are offended by pronouns, so I guess I'm just not meant to understand.  Oh well.  🤷‍♂️

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

I am no Swifty, there is only three songs I enjoy from her but even I can recognise the woman has achieved a lot. Creating a multi billion dollar music business is no small feat. And she did it without trashing hotel rooms, going on benders or turning up late for shows. There are far more vacuous celebrities out there than Taylor Swift, I would rather talk about her than many reality stars. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

Usually I have found that it is Canadians and Europeans who bring up those questions about American politics. They are curious but some think we all carry guns or etc. etc. 

Thank you!  In my experience, it's been Canadians.  No offense to our northern neighbors but gosh, when we meet them on board, it's almost always certain they will bring up politics....and not their politics but US politics.  Good heavens.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

. There are far more vacuous celebrities out there than Taylor Swift, I would rather talk about her than many reality stars. 

And many politicians and commentators that see a “Satanic conspiracy” in the Chiefs win . . . 

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

Thank you!  In my experience, it's been Canadians.  No offense to our northern neighbors but gosh, when we meet them on board, it's almost always certain they will bring up politics....and not their politics but US politics.  Good heavens.  

Waiting for the Canadians to respond. 
Sorry. 😞 

2 minutes ago, CPT Trips said:

And many politicians and commentators that see a “Satanic conspiracy” in the Chiefs win . . . 

That witchcraft just keeps rearing its ugly head through catchy pop tunes and sequined costumes🧙🪄

4 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

That witchcraft just keeps rearing its ugly head through catchy pop tunes and sequined costumes🧙🪄

No, it’s bigger than that. Do a search on “satanic conspiracy taylor and chiefs” (although I don’t know whether your location will skew the results. 

4 minutes ago, CPT Trips said:

No, it’s bigger than that. Do a search on “satanic conspiracy taylor and chiefs” (although I don’t know whether your location will skew the results. 

Googled and I probably lost a few brain cells 😵‍💫. Though I'm starting to understand why people want to talk USA politics. No one discusses Satanism in our elections😂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Aquahound said:

I have noticed the same thing.

On 1/28/2024 at 10:13 AM, GeezerCouple said:

We *are* from the USA.

And I cannot even begin to imagine wanting to discuss "any of the above listed topics" with strangers or other vague acquaintances on a cruise over dinner.  Or ANY other time, either!

GC

I wish all were like you.

I cannot tell you how often politics or any of these subjects are some of the first questions or statements that come out of others mouths when we meet them and start talking to them.

It is almost like the person(s) want to know where you stand and whether you side with them or not.

I will say that I am Canadian, and don't have an opinion, but that is often not enough.

The other piece however is in dining rooms where tables are close together, I don't want to sit beside a table that discusses this throughout the meal, and that has happened to us as well.

11 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Ready for it? I knew you were trouble when you walked in. You need to calm down.

• Haha 4

8 hours ago, Aquahound said:

No matter what is said in this thread, I still will not understand how discussing occupations in a setting where people are getting to know one another is so bad but then again, we live in a time when people are offended by pronouns, so I guess I'm just not meant to understand.  Oh well.  🤷‍♂️

I don't mind telling people what I do, but at the same time I don't dive into specifics either. I used to fly with TACAMO when I was in the Navy and I knew that the response "ending the world as we know it" would stop any conversation, but I never had the chance to use it. 

• Haha 1