My Opinion

Oakman58

I always thought Epic was the ugliest ship on the ocean with its Frankenstein forehead.  No more, Icon of the Seas is now the ugliest with its bubble forehead and ugly bow.  Just my opinion of course.

• Haha 5

LOL! Icon was in the same port (Cadiz?) as us during a TA in December. She is not pretty on the ouside... (But maybe her beauty is on the inside. 😄 )

Edited by Asawi
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Oakman58 said:

I always thought Epic was the ugliest ship on the ocean with its Frankenstein forehead.  

I always thought Epic looked like it was wearing a top hat. But Frankenstein forehead works, too.

I never understood the hate of Epic's look. I always thought she was the coolest looking ship ever.  It looks like she is wearing sunglasses and has a different look.  Carnival ships look all the same.  You could never know which ship it was if the name was not on the ship.  NCL ships have distinctive hull art and Epic has a very cool look IMHO.  I think Icon of the Seas also looks incredible and different.  Have you seen the dome from the inside?  Its insane.  Although the 2500 kids on board is a reason I may not want to sail it. I love what RCCL said.  They said they were not trying to complete with other cruise lines or other ships.  They were competing with different vacation destinations for families:  Disney, Grand Canyon, etc.  

• Like 3

I agree, that dome is ugly. Although I would probably love to be inside it looking out those windows. I'm sure it's a great view.

I was never a fan of the look of the Epic either. 

why would anyone really care if the epic in some peoples estimation is "ugly" or not.

as long as your cabin is neat, nicely arranged and comfortable, and the amenities are there who cares what the ship looks like?  

although some of the cabin setups are questionable, and one can wonder what the designers were either smoking or drinking when they designed her.

been on the epic twice, and how she looked out side, never even occurred to me

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Just saw a video review of the Icon.  The reviewer reiterated everything I have thought about Royal ships over the past decade or so....it's a mall on water.

The Icon is like the American Dream mall in Jersey and I can't wait to sail on her.  Just need the pricing to drop in half.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, Liljo22 said:

The Icon is like the American Dream mall in Jersey and I can't wait to sail on her.  Just need the pricing to drop in half.  

Granted...looks interesting.  New ship so fares are high.  Give it a couple of years and I'll take a look.

On 1/28/2024 at 7:55 AM, Oakman58 said:

I always thought Epic was the ugliest ship on the ocean with its Frankenstein forehead.  No more, Icon of the Seas is now the ugliest with its bubble forehead and ugly bow.  Just my opinion of course.

Maybe they're trying to look like a flowerhorn: image.png.fab23c91c44f14a8a9626c26d434c4a6.png

1 hour ago, Liljo22 said:

Sounds like we'll be on the same sailing!! I'm sure not booking a trip on her in the foreseeable (pricey) future.

1 hour ago, cruiseny4life said:

Sounds like we'll be on the same sailing!! I'm sure not booking a trip on her in the foreseeable (pricey) future.

It's crazy right now.  I was wrong about half.  It would need to come down more than that.  I just did a mock booking for next summer and a oceanview balcony for 2 is running over $8k.  I will not spend $16k for balconies.  I can get a 2 bedroom Haven on the Escape the same week for $13k.  

32 minutes ago, Liljo22 said:

It's crazy right now.  I was wrong about half.  It would need to come down more than that.  I just did a mock booking for next summer and a oceanview balcony for 2 is running over $8k.  I will not spend $16k for balconies.  I can get a 2 bedroom Haven on the Escape the same week for $13k.  

Good golly! You know I just went to do a mock booking...the prices are excessive. It'll be quite some time before I'm sailing on her. 

For one week, it's $11,500 to be in a balcony-less Panoramic Suite, but it seems the cheapest suite to have all day access to Coastal Kitchen, so most on par with the Haven...that doesn't include drinks or specialty dining. Yikes! 

Oh well...add me to those that are just in disbelief at the expense of "experiences" right now. There's gotta be a ceiling, right??

3 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

Good golly! You know I just went to do a mock booking...the prices are excessive. It'll be quite some time before I'm sailing on her. 

For one week, it's $11,500 to be in a balcony-less Panoramic Suite, but it seems the cheapest suite to have all day access to Coastal Kitchen, so most on par with the Haven...that doesn't include drinks or specialty dining. Yikes! 

Oh well...add me to those that are just in disbelief at the expense of "experiences" right now. There's gotta be a ceiling, right??

Coastal kitchens doesn't compare well with Haven.

• Like 1

On 1/28/2024 at 5:55 AM, Oakman58 said:

I always thought Epic was the ugliest ship on the ocean with its Frankenstein forehead. 

Ain't nuttin' uglier than the Celebrity Apex with its exterior dumb waiter. As it sails into a port the other ships chant this.......