Dress code enforcement for dinner

Kastaka

Throwing my 2 cents in, just got off the Solstice about 2 weeks ago and honestly went to the MDR once for dinner (I like food and small portions are not my game lol) and wore a long button down dress shirt, a pair of black capris that I also was using for shore excursions so they were light weight and worked w about anything (both from Shien for about $25ish USD total if that) and my Air Jordans and no one batted an eye. I don't do dresses/skirts so that was 100% not going to happen lol. I also sat at a table in Sushi on 5 in shorts, a long tank top covering my swim suit and a pair of Teva sandles for a take away order and no one batted an eye then either and had dinner there in a tank top and capris w a cardigan and no one said anything. As far as other people I saw anywhere from khaki shorts, to dark jeans, to wrap around skirts (a lot from our Thailand stop) to skorts in the MDR. Wear whats comfortable to you, maybe not sweats or your PJs lmao but as long as you don't look like you rolled out of bed or from a lounge chair on the deck I don't think they are going to be pushy about a suggested dress code. Just my opinion though :c)

13 hours ago, Kastaka said:

It's a Fjords cruise - I do own some dresses, just nothing suitable for colder weather :). 

The air conditioning / heating will be adjusted inside the dining room. It won’t be the same temperature as outside, it will be set at a comfortable temperature.

• Like 1

On 1/30/2024 at 9:00 AM, CruiseRQA said:

Yes,  buy some khakis or nice jeans and a couple of polos.

Just off Apex, they might as well get rid of "chic" night.   People are dressing the same as every other night.   Slowly the slobs are winning.  

the last time we were in Normandy, on the Edge, a couple came in with very casual clothes....ripped jeans, sandals etc.  They ordered drinks.  After their drinks they were asked to leave & return with proper attire.....it was handled very professionally. 

Edited by 3red7s
  • Like 3

On 1/30/2024 at 10:51 AM, kwokpot said:

For guys that don't like wearing pants and don't really have any what I would suggest is going to Underarmour and buying one or two pairs of GOLF PANTS. They are extremely comfortable, lightweight and easy to pack, and once worn are indistinguishable from traditional khaki-type trousers. Pair that with a nicer looking polo-type shirt and you can wear that outfit for the whole cruise. 

Photo of example from Amazon. Honestly this exact outfit, including shoes, would be totally fine for Chic Night on a Celebrity Cruise. 

41W4-i3pcML._AC_SL1000_.jpg

This guy looks like a gym teacher

• Haha 2

On 1/31/2024 at 6:28 AM, Hypercardiac said:

Throwing my 2 cents in, just got off the Solstice about 2 weeks ago and honestly went to the MDR once for dinner (I like food and small portions are not my game lol) and wore a long button down dress shirt, a pair of black capris that I also was using for shore excursions so they were light weight and worked w about anything (both from Shien for about $25ish USD total if that) and my Air Jordans and no one batted an eye. I don't do dresses/skirts so that was 100% not going to happen lol. I also sat at a table in Sushi on 5 in shorts, a long tank top covering my swim suit and a pair of Teva sandles for a take away order and no one batted an eye then either and had dinner there in a tank top and capris w a cardigan and no one said anything. As far as other people I saw anywhere from khaki shorts, to dark jeans, to wrap around skirts (a lot from our Thailand stop) to skorts in the MDR. Wear whats comfortable to you, maybe not sweats or your PJs lmao but as long as you don't look like you rolled out of bed or from a lounge chair on the deck I don't think they are going to be pushy about a suggested dress code. Just my opinion though :c)

No portion size problems in the MDR- just order 2 or more of whatever you want  (excludes lobster) or several different dishes  (I always have 2 starters, 2 desserts and a dish of extra veg with the main).

Equally importantly we enjoy sharing tables which is one reason we embrace the whole MDR experience.

On 1/30/2024 at 9:00 AM, CruiseRQA said:

Yes,  buy some khakis or nice jeans and a couple of polos.

Just off Apex, they might as well get rid of "chic" night.   People are dressing the same as every other night.   Slowly the slobs are winning.  

I couldn't agree more.  We were on Apex this month and no one dressed up for chic night.  Lots of slobs everywhere, overflowing thong bikini wearer in Oceanview never told to cover up (also wet, shirtless slob getting drink at Segundo Al Bacio in OVC).

2 hours ago, kabmab said:

I couldn't agree more.  We were on Apex this month and no one dressed up for chic night.  Lots of slobs everywhere, overflowing thong bikini wearer in Oceanview never told to cover up (also wet, shirtless slob getting drink at Segundo Al Bacio in OVC).

Just one of many reasons not to dine in OVC.  I saw shirtless people in OVC on Millenium.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, the penguins said:

No portion size problems in the MDR- just order 2 or more of whatever you want  (excludes lobster) or several different dishes  (I always have 2 starters, 2 desserts and a dish of extra veg with the main).

Equally importantly we enjoy sharing tables which is one reason we embrace the whole MDR experience.

Many a time I'll order an entree as a starter and a different entree as my main course, especially if there are a couple of entrees that I know I will enjoy. This happens whenever there's a pasta or risotto entree that's appealing to me. For example the photos below show the specialty pasta from Cyprus as my starter followed by the fish entree. Both were excellent. 

PXL_20240118_231013607.jpg

PXL_20240118_232820696.jpg

Edited by kwokpot

We are just off the Silhouette.  Dress codes are not enforced.  Many men in shorts on chic night.  If the cruise line has a dress code it needs to be enforced.  If not enforcing it then do away with it.  People are wearing what they want anyway.

On 1/30/2024 at 6:49 PM, Texed said:

I just got off of a B2B cruise on Ascent.  I have to admit, I didn't even notice what other folks were wearing.  🫠

Some people are difficult to ignore like the man dressed as a rabbit on Silhouette.

• Haha 3

Just off the Ascent, we saw a good many folks in suits, sport coats etc...FWIW...

First time I myself packed a sport coat in years...I enjoyed dressing up a bit.  Perry Ellis Jacquard black coat...got a lot of compliments from the Ladies. 🙂

Christmas present from the Wife.  

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Orator said:

Some people are difficult to ignore like the man dressed as a rabbit on Silhouette.

Cotton Tail or Jackrabbit?  😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/30/2024 at 6:01 PM, TomAndJane said:

I call BS on this.  I am Sapphire on NCL and they never allow flip flops, tank tops etc. in the specialty restaurants unless it is the Sushi bar.  I will agree that NCL is the most lax when it comes to dress code but not what you describe. 

.... and you would be wrong!

On the Joy this past May and that's what people were wearing in The Haven Restaurant and Cagneys.

While we're not "judging", just not the atmosphere for us.  We won't be back.

On 1/30/2024 at 6:01 PM, TomAndJane said:

I call BS on this.  I am Sapphire on NCL and they never allow flip flops, tank tops etc. in the specialty restaurants unless it is the Sushi bar.  I will agree that NCL is the most lax when it comes to dress code but not what you describe. On Royal I wore shorts every night to the Dining room except formal nights, on Carnival I wore shorts every night except formal nights and even on Holland I could wear jeans to the dining room except on formal nights.  Celebrity is the only cruise line that I would never dare to wear shorts to the dining room.  With that said, the OP asked if t-shirts would be allowed.  My response:  if the Maitre D allows you in, you can wear whatever you want but if they refuse you, graciously change clothes and return.  🙂 

Just curious what your cruise status (Sapphire) has to do with the dress code discussion? 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, CruisersTimesThree said:

Just curious what your cruise status (Sapphire) has to do with the dress code discussion? 

One way to denote the poster is an experienced cruiser to give their opinions more weight vs someone who's only been on 1 or 2 cruises. 

Edited by kwokpot
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

Just one of many reasons not to dine in OVC.  I saw shirtless people in OVC on Millenium.

12 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

One way to denote the poster is an experienced cruiser to give their opinions more weight vs someone who's only been on 1 or 2 cruises. 

Ugh!  I do not like to see shirtless people in dining areas.  

On 1/30/2024 at 11:49 PM, Texed said:

I just got off of a B2B cruise on Ascent.  I have to admit, I didn't even notice what other folks were wearing.  🫠

Bet you noticed the quality of the Waffles though 😂

@Kastaka Did your question get answered before this thread went off the rails? You’re fine. Probably a jumper instead of a hoodie for warmth. None of the posters on this thread will be on your cruise. The fjords are amazing!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, markeb said:

@Kastaka Did your question get answered before this thread went off the rails? You’re fine. Probably a jumper instead of a hoodie for warmth. None of the posters on this thread will be on your cruise. The fjords are amazing!

Yes, the quotes from the FAQ were useful :). 

• Like 1