Which ship would you choose?

kaz828

We are a mid 40's couple, love good food, dining variety, pool people, like listening to music on vacation.
These ships are doing itineraries we like so which ship would you pick and why?

Celebrity Beyond
Celebrity Apex
Icon of the Seas
Sun Princess

Enchanted Princess
NCL Prima 
NCL Viva

WOW ,  So many differences, not just among the lines and ships but also between the cabin categories.  And much would depend on your own likes/dislikes.   For example, on those Celebrity ships you have the so-called "Retreat suites" which come with an array of ship within a ship benefits.  Personally, we have zero interest in the Celebrity "infinity balcony cabins" which I like to call French Balconies or faux balconies.  As to NCL, we consider this a budget line unless you are willing to book one of the Haven Suites, in which case it becomes a completely different kind of higher end product.

As to the Blight of the Seas...oops meant Icon of the Seas, if you think big is better than that might be for you.  I like to point out to folks that none of the true luxury lines have huge ships.  There is a reason that the best luxury ships tend to carry fewer than 1000 passengers.

Hank

• Like 2

I can only answer to my experience and say that either of the Celebrity ships would be fine as they are sister ships, and Icon would be fine as well, and it is the newest RCCL ship.  Icon likely will have more food venue options, but Celebrity will be very good even with fewer options.  IMO, RCCL tends to have more venue options that are all very good, but Celebrity, even though there may be fewer options, would be of slightly higher quality.

Entertainment on both would be equally good, although Icon will have more variety with the aqua theater and ice rink, etc.  Icon is very much a floating amusement park whereas either Celebrity ship will have none of those whistles and bells and will be a more pure cruising experience of the two liness. 

The biggest difference is Celebrity's primary demographics is adults whereas RCCL is primarily families.  RCCL will have a lot more children on board as a result.  To me, that is one reason to look at Celebrity of those choices.  NCL also targets families with children and will be comparatively more similar to RCCL.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

WOW ,  So many differences, not just among the lines and ships but also between the cabin categories.  And much would depend on your own likes/dislikes.   For example, on those Celebrity ships you have the so-called "Retreat suites" which come with an array of ship within a ship benefits.  Personally, we have zero interest in the Celebrity "infinity balcony cabins" which I like to call French Balconies or faux balconies.  As to NCL, we consider this a budget line unless you are willing to book one of the Haven Suites, in which case it becomes a completely different kind of higher end product.

As to the Blight of the Seas...oops meant Icon of the Seas, if you think big is better than that might be for you.  I like to point out to folks that none of the true luxury lines have huge ships.  There is a reason that the best luxury ships tend to carry fewer than 1000 passengers.

Hank

Thanks, We are not too focused on cabin, we are even fine with an inside, we prefer a nicer ship vs a nicer cabin. But we did just do Yacht Club on MSC and loved it. Something similar on other lines I know would not be in our budget. 

1 hour ago, kaz828 said:

Thanks, We are not too focused on cabin, we are even fine with an inside, we prefer a nicer ship vs a nicer cabin. But we did just do Yacht Club on MSC and loved it. Something similar on other lines I know would not be in our budget. 

We really like the Yacht Club and think it’s one of the best values in the cruise world

1 hour ago, kaz828 said:

We are a mid 40's couple, love good food, dining variety, pool people, like listening to music on vacation.

Celebrity Beyond
Celebrity Apex
Icon of the Seas
Sun Princess

Enchanted Princess
NCL Prima 
NCL Viva

I agree with the other posts. The only thing I would add is that the age demographic between RCCL and Celebrity is VERY wide. You state you're in your mid-40's. That said, the demographic on Celebrity average age will be much higher - mid to late 60's plus. As a result, we found Celebrity to be much more sedate. The music in the evening was very mellow. Violins, low-key piano, etc. By 10:00 the ship seemed deserted. Now that said, Celebrity provided an excellent cruise, no complaints. RCCL on the other hand will have a more diverse age population and will be livelier overall. They both offer excellent cruises. Just depends on the activity you're looking for, excursions, etc. I'm one of those that believes there's almost no such thing as a bad cruise. Whichever you choose safe travels and enjoy.    

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, JJK2008 said:

I agree with the other posts. The only thing I would add is that the age demographic between RCCL and Celebrity is VERY wide. You state you're in your mid-40's. That said, the demographic on Celebrity average age will be much higher - mid to late 60's plus. As a result, we found Celebrity to be much more sedate. The music in the evening was very mellow. Violins, low-key piano, etc. By 10:00 the ship seemed deserted. Now that said, Celebrity provided an excellent cruise, no complaints.     

The "published" Celebrity primary demographics is 50+, and in our rather extensive cruise experience with Celebrity that fits the profile far better than the suggested mid to late 60's+.  There always is a wide and diverse age group on board, including families with children, but also quite a number of couples in their 40's.  IMO your description seems to fit HAL far better than Celebrity.  Yes, it is more sedate by intention, but, again in our experience, there is a lot going on late in to the night if you want it, and we have never experienced the 10:00 PM desertion you suggest.  I guess just different experiences, but I am basing my observations on a dozen or more Celebrity cruises. 

Edited by leaveitallbehind

2 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

The "published" Celebrity primary demographics is 50+, and in our rather extensive cruise experience with Celebrity that fits the profile far better than the suggested mid to late 60's+.  There always is a wide and diverse age group on board, including families with children, but also quite a number of couples in their 40's.  IMO your description seems to fit HAL far better than Celebrity.  Yes, it is more sedate by intention, but, again in our experience, there is a lot going on late in to the night if you want it, and we have never experienced the 10:00 PM desertion you suggest.  I guess just different experiences, but I am basing my observations on a dozen or more Celebrity cruises. 

Obviously, our experience with Celebrity was different than yours. Time of year, itinerary, ship and other factors all contribute to different cruise experiences.  

If you are interested in good food (without having to pay extra for alternative restaurants), avoid NCL.    Celebrity is likely to have better service and food, but Princess might have a demographic closer to your age.  If you like hype and pizzazz you might like Icon, but I do not think I would want to be on something that size —with 7,500 other passengers.

• Like 1

RCI, and to perhaps a lesser extent NCL, are "fun" ships.

Celebrity and Princess are more laid-back and - dare I say it - more refined.

But we choose cruises based more on their itineraries and prices

JB 🙂 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, olemissreb said:

I'm sailing the Viva next year. I chose that one because it sails from San Juan which is my favorite port to sail from. Plus I haven't been to 4 of the 6 ports before. 

I have never sailed from San Juan as well, what do you like, do you usually stay before the cruise?

On 1/30/2024 at 12:38 PM, kaz828 said:

Celebrity Beyond
Celebrity Apex
Sun Princess

Enchanted Princess

right now people are complaining about Beyond for a lot of reasons (you can check out Celebrity board for more info)

If you want good food and music, I'd look at Princess. We've already sailed on Enchanted in 2022 (loved it) and will sail on her again in June. I'd love to sail on Sun Princess, but unfortunately, the current prices do not suit us. So, for a bit less $ but in a better category and ship location I chose to book Celebrity Ascent and Beyond for next year, but I can't comment on them yet, since we've never sailed on Celebrity.

Back in 2018 we found NCL food to be bad, so we won't consider sailing on NCL unless the price was super darn low. The entertainment on the Getaway was top notch at that time, but a lot of things changed post-pandemic.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

12 hours ago, kaz828 said:

I have never sailed from San Juan as well, what do you like, do you usually stay before the cruise?

I love sailing by El Morro. And yes, I do go down at least a day before. Gives me more time to sightsee in Old San Juan. Next year I'll get to share it with my sister, her boyfriend and my boyfriend.

On 1/30/2024 at 12:38 PM, kaz828 said:

Celebrity Beyond -Usually good food and service
Celebrity Apex - Same as above
Icon of the Seas - Too damn big
Sun Princess - Probably good entertainment

Enchanted Princess - Same as above
NCL Prima -Crowded, poor food and service unless pay extra.
NCL Viva -Same as above

Of course itinerary and cost should be considered.

Your itinerary is going to play a big part in the vibe of the trip. A 7 night Mexican Rivera is going to be a lot different than a 7 night western med, and that'll be a lot different from a 7 night Antilles out of San Juan.

Fwiw if you guys are really into music you should consider Holland America

I personally hate Celebrity so I would not pick them. I have also not sailed with Royal Caribbean so I can’t comment on their ships. I love Princess and have sailed a lot with them.  You will always get great food and service and don’t need to upgrade your room or eat at speciality restaurants. The ships are beautiful and the other passengers are generally very nice. NCL seems to draw a lot of people interested in the drinks package so to speak. My family generally prefers to eat at their speciality restaurants and we love the overall Haven experience.  They also have some different  itineraries which initially drew us over from Princess. I will be on the Viva in a week. It looks beautiful!

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/30/2024 at 5:38 PM, kaz828 said:

Celebrity Beyond
Celebrity Apex
Icon of the Seas
Sun Princess

Enchanted Princess
NCL Prima 
NCL Viva

Only been on Beyond but its a beautiful ship.

And the food is superb.

Only negative, maybe, are the infinite verandas 

• 1 month later...

Personally, if I were strictly looking for musical performances and the food, I would probably choose one of the newer Holland America ships.

The problem with the NCL ships is that the entertainment venues tend to be relatively small for the size of ship.  We found it almost impossible to get into smaller venues unless we were there over an hour in advance.  Also, the food selection, quality and the service was inferior to the other cruise lines that you mentioned.