online price drop almost $700 less

oatbagg1

Booked on a Celebrity cruise, paid in full. Today I see the price has dropped $700 for same cabin category. 

Called Celebrity and she messed with our reservation wanting to charge us $1900+ then acted like she did us a big favor by getting us back to our paid cost.  No explaination given or courtesy.  I'm sort of mad about this.

Are you past final payment?  If not call back for sure. Keep in mind perks, etc could have changed with the lower offer. 

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Like 1

When you booked you agreed to a price to be paid in full by a specific date. If after booking but before final payment,  Celebrity increases the price you are not asked to pay the higher price, but if they lower the price before final they will adjust the price.  Once you paid the price you agreed to by the payment date then no reductions. 

If the price you paid is the slightly less than a higher category cabin you can often pay the difference and move up to the higher category cabin. 

Just a little point which is unclear.   Paid in Full and Paid in Full AFTER Final Payment date are two separate events.   If you pay in full prior to Final Payment they will still match.

One thing of caution on re-pricing .    If you booked your cruise when they were offering OBC's and Gratuites when you re-price you will loose both the On-Line Credit and the free Gratuities and would be re-booked under the new price with current promotion.    I presume this is the reason for the increase you listed above.

If prices drop AFTER FINAL payment date then Celebrity will usually deny any adjustment or compensation.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, oatbagg1 said:

yes, we paid in full . And yes, they have told us the same thing--you've paid the price you've paid.  

It's lousy paying early but paying more.  thanks all.

We never pay early, why let them use your money.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

When is/was your final payment due? You use 'paying early'. If it's after final payment then you can't get the reduced price. If it's before you should be able to get a refund of the difference.

After final payment they start dropping the prices to fill the cabins. For a Dec 2022 cruise I paid $692 for a cabin. After final payment the one next to me opened up (same category) and I got it for my sister for only $588. A short 2 nighter.

Edited by twins_to_alaska

This just happened to us. I noticed the online price had gone down 700 a person for our upcoming May cruise. We had paid in full just last week. Our travel agent was able to get us a $1400 refund. We did lose all but $50 of on board credit that we previously had. I think it was $400 in total so we still came out $1000 on top. Her explanation was that it was difficult to do but she was able to do it. We got to keep all three of the big perks. Previously just a few months into booking we had noticed a $1300 decrease. Therefore it had gone down $2700 since we booked which was approximately 18 months out.

22 minutes ago, rinshin said:

If before the final payment and price dropped, will Celebrity adjust automatically or do you have to call?  I hope they adjust automatically.  

They WILL NOT automatically adjust.   You have to call  either Celebrity or your Agent.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, rinshin said:

Ok, thanks.  I will check the price few days before the final payment date then. 

A trick I do is to do a mock booking and on the page where you select cabin type I book mark.   Makes it really quick and easy to check .

Example: 
https://www.celebritycruises.com/booking-cruise/selectRoom/stateroomCategory?pID=SL11H036&sDT=2024-04-25&sCD=SL&sCT=CO&roomQuantity=1

• Like 6

2 hours ago, rinshin said:

Ok, thanks.  I will check the price few days before the final payment date then. 

I had cruise booked for 2025 and there was a price drop 4 days ago I saved $1000 and only lost $50 of OBC. I usually check every week or so don’t wait until just before final payment, price can change at any time prior to final payment.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, realnice46 said:

Just rebooked again saved another $550 dollars  on 2025 Aruba cruise and kept OBC. Maybe by the time the cruise final payment comes it will be free.

What do you mean by just rebooked again?  When calling in when price drops before the final payment, do you have to go through rebooking again?  Do you lose the cabin already chosen?  

I have to call tomorrow during the day to ask about a charge showing up on our credit card statement that I do no recognize from Celebrity and at the same time was going to ask about very small price drop showing now. But, I don’t necessarily want to rebook and possibly lose the cabin of my choosing. 

Edited by rinshin

1 hour ago, rinshin said:

What do you mean by just rebooked again?  When calling in when price drops before the final payment, do you have to go through rebooking again?  Do you lose the cabin already chosen?  

I have to call tomorrow during the day to ask about a charge showing up on our credit card statement that I do no recognize from Celebrity and at the same time was going to ask about very small price drop showing now. But, I don’t necessarily want to rebook and possibly lose the cabin of my choosing. 

Yes you have to call, everything stayed the same. No they won’t change room. Just review all the charges before they confirm the change and then ask for new invoice while you have them on the phone. I always check prices with each new sale. Some time I get good price drop and other cruises no change.

• Like 1

I just did a price check.  I made a booking for the same cabin type for our May cruise, and it was significantly cheaper.  I called our TA, and she got the price difference for us. We did lose our OBC's but even so, we still saved over $2500 even after canceling our excursions and then rebooking them to pay with our credit card instead of using OBC.  I couldn't pass up that much savings. 

1 hour ago, screwsmcernst said:

I just did a price check.  I made a booking for the same cabin type for our May cruise, and it was significantly cheaper.  I called our TA, and she got the price difference for us. We did lose our OBC's but even so, we still saved over $2500 even after canceling our excursions and then rebooking them to pay with our credit card instead of using OBC.  I couldn't pass up that much savings. 

Great.

Pleased to read that some of you have retained any benefits when there is a price drop. We booked for this March on 28 December 2023 with final payment  04 January 2024- barely a week. Two weeks later a price drop over almost £1000- but no refund as it was after final payment. 17 cruises with Celebrity ( Elite+ too) and when I asked if they would give some obc towards excursions - which they would also benefit from- no!

I wish I had listened to the wise owls here- don’t look at the price after final payment but be happy with what you have booked!

Edited by waggie
Changed wording
  • Like 1

I wish when people find a price break and they get a reduced price they would mention the cruise date and name of ship. Even though I know it could effect different sailings would be interesting to see where people are getting the reduced amounts. Just saying...

Edited by lv2cruisgrl

4 minutes ago, lv2cruisgrl said:

I wish when people find a price break and they get a reduced price they would mention the cruise date and name of ship. Even though I know it could effect different sailings would be interesting to see where people are getting the reduced amounts. Just saying...

Eclipse March 14-26 South America- prices now better than I got- good luck!

• Like 1