Reflection LIVE 2/3/24-2/11/24: 8 Crazy Nights of ABC Islands

GenerationX

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"And another from GenerationX! Thank you for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic!"

GenerationX was awarded the badge '"Live from...."' and 5 points.

Hi CC!  

Well, it’s been a little under 4 months since my husband Jeremy and I wrapped up our incredible 2 week Mediterranean adventure on Beyond, but with everything we’ve gone through in life since then, it feels more like 4 years.

After surviving a hectic end of year for both of us at work and a tragic loss in our family over the holidays, we found ourselves in a deep funk that we’ve been struggling to shake.  We decided what maybe what we need to reset is to get away asap for a week of sun and sea!

Quick Intro:  I’m Charla and the tyrant who changed the password on our Amazon prime account to try and stop me from buying any new cruise outfits (well played sir) is my husband Jeremy.

We’re in our early 40’s and live on a hobby farm an hour outside of St. Louis, Missouri. 

We have an 11-year old daughter who I’m pretty sure is even more addicted to cruising than I am (and is in the throes of indecision between Celebrity and MSC as we start to make plans for our summer mommy-daughter cruise) but she will be spending our week away on land getting spoiled rotten by her Nana.  My mother has already let me know that as we’re preparing to board Reflection, they’ll be celebrating National Eat Ice Cream for Breakfast Day (I ask you, is that even really a thing????)

Since this is a somewhat last minute vacay and we already had a land spring break resort trip booked in March, we didn’t want to break the bank.  For our budget and dates, the choice came down to either a basic veranda on this Reflection sailing (Aqua and concierge were already sold out) or a Yacht Club suite on MSC Divina.  

We also got a very good quote from a TA for an Ascent sailing, but I did quite a bit of cruising on E-class last year and decided that if we were going Celebrity, I really wanted to get some S-class time in. I’ve been experiencing symptoms of Murano lobster withdrawal.

For the MSC vs Celebrity decision, I much prefer the overall ship experience on Reflection over Divina and Jeremy wasn’t excited about spending most of the week only in suite areas.  Plus the itinerary for Reflection was much more appealing.

For about a week, we did have some moveup bids in for the handful of suites left available on Reflection when we booked, but we ended up cancelling them. We decided that with all the Retreat and Aqua cruising we’ve done the past few years, this is a good time to go back to our roots so to speak and see if we still enjoy the simple onboard life that first made us Celebrity loyalists without concierges, private dining rooms, butlers, etc. and save some cash for bigger, badder cruising goals this fall (and ok probably a little more onboard spending by me).

We’ll be flying into Miami a day early and staying in Fort Lauderdale the night before the cruise. 

In the next day or so I’ll do a post sharing our plans on the ship and in port. For now it’s time to start my last day of the fiscal year, last day of observing Dry January AND last day in the office pre-cruise!  

In my mind, I’m already 2 cosmos deep listening to live music in the Ensemble Lounge…

IMG_6870.thumb.jpeg.76c036cf6c9f3275672c0a8f250ec31d.jpeg

IMG_6798.thumb.jpeg.02e37986de40a88f15ce52c138d985e8.jpeg

• Like 47
  • Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, GenerationX said:

Hi CC!  

Well, it’s been a little under 4 months since my husband Jeremy and I wrapped up our incredible 2 week Mediterranean adventure on Beyond, but with everything we’ve gone through in life since then, it feels more like 4 years.

After surviving a hectic end of year for both of us at work and a tragic loss in our family over the holidays, we found ourselves in a deep funk that we’ve been struggling to shake.  We decided what maybe what we need to reset is to get away asap for a week of sun and sea!

Quick Intro:  I’m Charla and the tyrant who changed the password on our Amazon prime account to try and stop me from buying any new cruise outfits (well played sir) is my husband Jeremy.

We’re in our early 40’s and live on a hobby farm an hour outside of St. Louis, Missouri. 

We have an 11-year old daughter who I’m pretty sure is even more addicted to cruising than I am (and is in the throes of indecision between Celebrity and MSC as we start to make plans for our summer mommy-daughter cruise) but she will be spending our week away on land getting spoiled rotten by her Nana.  My mother has already let me know that as we’re preparing to board Reflection, they’ll be celebrating National Eat Ice Cream for Breakfast Day (I ask you, is that even really a thing????)

Since this is a somewhat last minute vacay and we already had a land spring break resort trip booked in March, we didn’t want to break the bank.  For our budget and dates, the choice came down to either a basic veranda on this Reflection sailing (Aqua and concierge were already sold out) or a Yacht Club suite on MSC Divina.  

We also got a very good quote from a TA for an Ascent sailing, but I did quite a bit of cruising on E-class last year and decided that if we were going Celebrity, I really wanted to get some S-class time in. I’ve been experiencing symptoms of Murano lobster withdrawal.

For the MSC vs Celebrity decision, I much prefer the overall ship experience on Reflection over Divina and Jeremy wasn’t excited about spending most of the week only in suite areas.  Plus the itinerary for Reflection was much more appealing.

For about a week, we did have some moveup bids in for the handful of suites left available on Reflection when we booked, but we ended up cancelling them. We decided that with all the Retreat and Aqua cruising we’ve done the past few years, this is a good time to go back to our roots so to speak and see if we still enjoy the simple onboard life that first made us Celebrity loyalists without concierges, private dining rooms, butlers, etc. and save some cash for bigger, badder cruising goals this fall (and ok probably a little more onboard spending by me).

We’ll be flying into Miami a day early and staying in Fort Lauderdale the night before the cruise. 

In the next day or so I’ll do a post sharing our plans on the ship and in port. For now it’s time to start my last day of the fiscal year, last day of observing Dry January AND last day in the office pre-cruise!  

In my mind, I’m already 2 cosmos deep listening to live music in the Ensemble Lounge…

IMG_6870.thumb.jpeg.76c036cf6c9f3275672c0a8f250ec31d.jpeg

IMG_6798.thumb.jpeg.02e37986de40a88f15ce52c138d985e8.jpeg

So very sorry for your loss. Glad you are doing something fun!!! I am looking forward to your adventure. Reflection is our favorite ship, we have been on her 4 times but not for quite a few years. We board in May so I can’t wait to see her through your eyes! Enjoy!! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So happy this morning when I checked CC and read  your first post   a Celebrity cruise in the sun  and fun for one week with your husband!

Look forward to your wonderful narrative   as always. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Another Charla cruise! Yippeee!

So sorry for your and your family's loss, and I hope you and Jeremy have a wonderful trip. We're going to be on the Reflection later this year so I can't wait for your posts!

Bon voyage! 

• Thanks 1

I'm excited to read while I get ready for my cruise.

Although can't believe your husband changed the password on Amazon - says the person who just bought more cruise items on Amazon 😇

• Haha 4

I am so very sorry for your loss. I hope this vacay provides you with a much-needed re-set.
Yay! I get to sail with Charla again!

I will be very tired this coming week, as I will physically be on the Ascent and virtually with you on the Reflection!

• Like 1

Yay!  Another live from Charla!  Our weather has been in a funk - it can't make up it's mind if it's winter or spring, so I, for one, am looking forward to loosing myself in your live reports of sunny destinations!  

~Bernadette

• Like 3

I’ll be on board this cruise too, Charla. If I see you I’ll come say hello and introduce myself.  I’m traveling with 7 new-to-Celebrity cruisers on a budget (well, me too!) so I’m also trying out a basic veranda cabin after spending my past 3 cruises in Sky Suites. 

• Like 1

Sounds like a wonderful time for both of you again, and does sound like you are needing it.

Have fun, we have not been on the Reflection, so looking forward to following along.

Hope this is a good year for you and your family 

• Thanks 1

You know I will be following along! We have also thought about doing Silo in 2026 on a smaller budget than our last ( and next) few cruises.

mac_tlc

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lena11033 said:

I'm excited to read while I get ready for my cruise.

Although can't believe your husband changed the password on Amazon - says the person who just bought more cruise items on Amazon 😇

My doorbell just rang…Amazon delivery…new swimsuit for April cruise on Silhouette 😎.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, GenerationX said:

My mother has already let me know that as we’re preparing to board Reflection, they’ll be celebrating National Eat Ice Cream for Breakfast Day

lol, someone else will be having fun too!

• Haha 1

Following along…have a fabulous cruise…

Going through withdrawal…got off the Beyond on 1/8 and our next cruise is on the Equinox on 7/2…the weather in New York this week has been so dreary …the Caribbean sounds great about now…. Have not been on the Reflection….will be nice to see your review…I have been eyeing some exciting deals on the Reflection if only I could convince my husband…

• Like 1

9 hours ago, thebutlerdidit said:

I’ll be on board this cruise too, Charla. If I see you I’ll come say hello and introduce myself.  I’m traveling with 7 new-to-Celebrity cruisers on a budget (well, me too!) so I’m also trying out a basic veranda cabin after spending my past 3 cruises in Sky Suites. 

Looking forward to sailing with you!  Yes please do come say hello!  I’ll be interested to hear what your Celebrity newbie friends are thinking of the experience!

It is half past midnight in America’s central time zone which means my dry January is officially over!!!!

I have tomorrow off work for a full day of spa  treatments, so I decided to stay up late tonight to finish up some work projects and do my packing before Jeremy and his suitcases get in the way.  

Before I hit the hay it seems like the perfect time to enjoy my first glass of wine in a month…a celebration worthy of opening a bottle out of our special occasion wine fridge I think.  Jeremy and I will drink the rest tomorrow night to really kick off vacation.

While I’m sipping, a bit about our plans for the cruise…

Since we’re on the subject let’s talk first about beverage package.  Since we aren’t in retreat where the premium package is included, it made more financial sense to book at the no perks rate and then wait and see if Celebrity did a sale on wifi and beverage package.   I don’t know if it’s true pattern or coincidence but I’ve noticed a few times now that not long after the “countdown clock” of cruise rate offers gets to zero, a flash sale on onboard amenities starts.

This proved true a few days ago as we were able to book our wifi at 40% off and drink package at 30% off.  

Our ports for this cruise are Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao.  I did these ports during a solo cruise a couple of years ago but this will be Jeremy’s first time.  One of the great things about an ABC islands itinerary is that the ship tends to have pretty long days in port so you get lots of time to experience the islands.  One bummer of having booked so close to sailing on a sold out ship is that a lot of the better Celebrity excursions were already booked up.  But since we didn’t get as much OBC to spend with our booking as we have in the past, booking excursions through Celebrity wasn’t as critical.

In Aruba, our plan is to stay onboard till after lunch to take advantage of a quieter ship, then go into port and do some shopping (me) and gambling (Jeremy) then since we have a late all aboard, we’ll have dinner at a beach restaurant that a friend of mine who’s a regular Aruba vacationer recommended.

In Bonaire, we’ve booked an independent snorkeling excursion and lunch cruise with a company that I saw on social media that has great reviews.

For Curacao, we’re going to go into port and walk around in the morning but then Jeremy is going to have to spend a good chunk of the day virtually attending a manager training for work.  While he’s doing that, I took the last spot left on an excursion to visit Hato caves and Mambo Beach.

We’ll be dining at all of the specialty restaurants but are also looking forward to seeing first hand how the main dining room experience is these days.  

Well I think it’s time for me to get some sleep so I’m not snoring during my massage tomorrow morning.  One more day till wheels up for MIA!

IMG_7460.thumb.jpeg.27c3abaa2485ed3fc84cd48d4da8272a.jpeg

• Like 27

10 hours ago, DingoMom said:

I am so very sorry for your loss. I hope this vacay provides you with a much-needed re-set.
Yay! I get to sail with Charla again!

I will be very tired this coming week, as I will physically be on the Ascent and virtually with you on the Reflection!

You’ll be on the Ascent cruise that we passed on for this one!  We came so close to sailing together. Have a great cruise! If you go to Eden and/or Le Voyage, please share food pics so that I can envy you from across the Caribbean Sea.

• Like 1

Yay, another GenX review! Can’t wait to follow along. 
Is the excursion in Bonaire with Woodwind? We snorkeled with them a few years ago and it was a fantastic experience. You’ll be looked after from start to finish and the snorkeling there is amazing! 
Cheers! Cathy

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, CruiseCrew123 said:

We arrived yesterday so have a few nights to try and get used to the change in time zone - not working yet as it’s 3am 🙈 

lol I'm on EST time and wanted to sleep in today rather than work out. One of my dogs decided 3:30am was going to be my wake up time by him barking until I woke up and petted him.

I find going from London to Canada it takes a couple of days to adjust, first night is really just staying up and not falling asleep too early, but then gradually go to bed later. Sometimes I'll take melatonine to try and sleep later to adjust.

I’m so sorry for your loss, Charla. Condolences to you and your family. 

As I’m wide awake with insomnia, I got up and decided to check out Cruise Critic — yay! Another Charla live thread! I’ll be following along with great interest. We are doing this cruise on the Reflection next January to celebrate a big birthday and my retirement. I’ll retire (mostly) in December, but will keep working with a few clients (fellow lawyer). I loved your live Med review. We did a similar one on Reflection around the same time as you. 

Safe travels and bon voyage!

• Like 1

8 Crazy Nights, huh?!?  Hmmmm.🤔 

This should be even more interesting than I was expecting.

Ahhhh.  Solstice-class vessels.  That sweet spot for so many.

We loved sailing on Reflection around the Western Med a few years ago.

Among other things I will be reading for a refresher on World Class cocktail recommendations.

ABC's is one of our fave itineraries with many chillaxing sea days and long port days.

Looking forward to your Hato Caves report since we do this next time on Curacao.

Great timing on your part setting sail a few days post-dry January.  Hee hee hee.😆

We've also moved on to the reality of booking cruise-only and chasing amenity flash sales.🙄

Maybe I will chase a MoveUp offer or two depending on my Retreat per person per night ceiling.

Have a GREAT🚢 vacation!!!🤩

• Haha 1