Reflection LIVE 2/3/24-2/11/24: 8 Crazy Nights of ABC Islands

GenerationX

I am loving these reviews!  It makes me miss this sailing less. I feel like I am onboard with you!  DH is progressing well on Day 6 home post-surgery.   Counting down the days and weeks until our Thanskgiving Reflection sailaway.  

• Like 5

56 minutes ago, Saturngrl said:

I am loving these reviews!  It makes me miss this sailing less. I feel like I am onboard with you!  DH is progressing well on Day 6 home post-surgery.   Counting down the days and weeks until our Thanskgiving Reflection sailaway.  

We will also be on the Thanksgiving sailing.  Can’t wait! 

• Like 1

So happy to see another review from you. They are always so entertaining and fun! We are boarding the Edge in Sydney in two weeks and your review is just what I needed to get me very excited! We did the ABC islands in December on Silver Sea and had so much fun. Thanks for sharing!!

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, GenerationX said:

The danish in the MDR this morning is pineapple coconut. I think my favorite the pistachio danish has competition now.

Say it ain't so .. I love those pistachio Danishes. 

5 hours ago, GenerationX said:

It turned out everyone in our group decided to do the pairings and it really added to the experience with our sommelier, Ivana, who was able to focus on leading us through the pairings and Chef Boulud’s reasoning for them (apparently he picks the pairing wines personally). History nerd me also really enjoyed the background info she gave about each winery and its history.

I wonder if this is the same Ivana we had as our sommelier in Luminae on Millennium last April - May.  She was wonderful and took very good care of us.  She made some excellent recommendations to get around the non-availability of some of the wines we ordered. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaKahuna said:

Say it ain't so .. I love those pistachio Danishes. 

I wonder if this is the same Ivana we had as our sommelier in Luminae on Millennium last April - May.  She was wonderful and took very good care of us.  She made some excellent recommendations to get around the non-availability of some of the wines we ordered. 

I will ask her! I’m just starting dinner in Murano and decided to buy a nice bottle.  She gave me an excellent recommendation for a Super Tuscan that would accommodate my preference for dry reds but also dance well on my palate with the lobster.

Each sip is taking me back to being in the Med on Beyond!

• Like 6

Just found your live (and lively) review on Reflection today.  I've followed you on past cruises and love your writing style.  We board Relection on Feb 17th.  Packing is nearly complete as we start our drive from Vermont to Florida on Thursday.  We have a relaxing week at a timeshare before the cruise.  It's nice getting away to Florida for 3 weeks in February. 

My husband sailed on Reflection in Nov 2012 when she was a brand new ship.  You are wetting my appetite for the food and drinks. We love the Martini, World Class, and Ensemble Bars too.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, David Kane said:

Hey @GenerationX how are the seas today? We're on the Ascent headed to Cozumel and we are rocking and rolling in some impressive waves - I was almost surfing in the main pool!

We’re docked in Aruba late today (all aboard isn’t until 10pm) so I haven’t really felt the seas yet.  The sail in this morning was very smooth though.  I heard the forecast for further north in the Caribbean is looking a bit dicey.  I have a friend who is on Silhouette headed towards FLL and she said that they’re really rocking and that the captain came on and said it’s going to be rough and rainy for most of the ride back.

5 hours ago, hcat said:

Guess we need to do ABCs again !

Let us know when you decide to go. I think this is my new favorite Caribbean itinerary and I’d love to sail with you again. Next time you can meet Jeremy.  Maybe we can do Gatsby party 2.0!

23 hours ago, TheGuys16 said:

In my case, it was my husband who introduced me to the joy of traveling with my pillow.  Best sleep of my life is on a cruise with my pillow.  Well worth the space in the suitcase!

I always take my pillow too. It makes such a difference.

6 hours ago, GenerationX said:

I am so sorry for the loss of your husband.  I hope it’s not too creepy of an offer coming from a stranger on the internet and all…but if you ever do decide to try cruising solo, please feel free to reach out and if price and schedules align I would be happy to book myself solo on the same cruise and be on call to be your company for meals, shows, cocktails, etc. whenever you’re feeling you need a little emotional support and/or company.

Charla-I-do-not-think-your-kind-offer-of-sailing-with-me-is-creepy!

You-have-many-dedicated-followers(including-me)-reading-your-posts-on-solo-cruises,cruises-with-DH-Jeremy-and-let-us-not-forget-the-memorable-threads-sailing-with-Gen-Z(adorable-young-lady).

After-all-of-these-reads,-I-feel-like-I-know-you.

You-do-not-know-me-however-which-makes-your-offer-the-more-special.

This-will-be-a-tough-time-for-me-in-the-coming-days.

I-will-not-rain-on-your-wonderful-thread-but-I-thank-you-for-your-kindness.

Enjoy-every-minute-with-those-you-love.

Diane

• Like 13

6 hours ago, Saturngrl said:

hope all goes well..and your cruise will be a great reward!

35 minutes ago, GenerationX said:

Let us know when you decide to go. I think this is my new favorite Caribbean itinerary and I’d love to sail with you again. Next time you can meet Jeremy.  Maybe we can do Gatsby party 2.0!

We  are in..  Gatsby 2.0.. Some new dresses will be needed!   We love the ABCs .. Let's  start looking.. Right now we are in Fl til mid March...  our husbs will get along great!

2024 started with my big b-day,...on ASCENT .. Lord willing,  Sal and I will be married 50 yrs in  Sept..and this yr marks my 50th year at the bar..you know which one! 

We have also had some deep  losses in 2023..  2024 is  starting out  with  more .. sent out 3 sympathy/ mass cards  today...

ENJOY Your cruise.. will be following!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, zitsky said:

We did Daniel Boulud dinner on the Eclipse.  Are we the only ones who didn't get cookbooks?  I didn't see any the whole night and it was never mentioned.  I forgot to ask about it.

You must have been.    We did Daniel B's first dinner and he both ran the show but also signed our books prior to presenting them.   For some reason they don't know what to do with a male couple and we got two of them.    The waiter told us to leave them and he would have them  delivered  to our room.

As Charla said... they are heavy and we had to put on in our hand luggage. 

Charla-  love the pictures.   They definitely stepped up the presentation.

• Like 3

God morning from beautiful Bonaire!

I’m so excited for my morning of snorkeling.  No mimosas for me this morning as last time I dived in Bonaire I remember there being a bit of a current and I want to have my wits about me.

Another bit of self help luxury:  I packed my nice Retreat tote bag that they give you on Beyond to use in port.

The buffet is busy at 8:30 but I had no trouble finding a good seat and getting tea service.

It’s overcast today but warm and humid and seas are pretty mild.

I’ll check back in when I get back from the Lady Bellais!

IMG_7670.thumb.jpeg.d364d9e9b8699a3bd14b1de86736dc13.jpeg

IMG_7671.thumb.jpeg.eb268f937e7fcd8b79f5f6382ab3f128.jpeg

• Like 13

waiting for the feedback..Bonaire is one of our fav ports ..  but it is hot down there!

Charla .. also think about the New Orleans cruise from Tampa..we could do a Mardi Gras mask party!   Sal has never been there..I was there with my dtr....loved the city and its vibe!

Good evening friends!

I had such an incredible day in Bonaire and I’m just settling in for dinner at Lawn Club Grill.  

I love having this specialty (or its E class sister Rooftop Grill) booked for dinner after a day on the beach or in the ocean.  It’s great for showering off the salt and sand and just throwing on a flowy casual tropical dress to dine.

When I got here the rest of my wine from Murano last night was already waiting for me.

Speaking of, let’s start going back in time and catching up on my day anboard yesterday.  

After enjoying the sun on a quiet pool deck I went to lunch at The Porch.  This small seafood restaurant is only on 2 ships (Silhouette and Reflection) and it’s right below Eden as far as my list of favorite specialties.  The sauce on the pil pil shrimp is heavenly!  My mussels pasta was good but I stopped short on finishing to save room for the mini dessert sampler.  The cheesecake puree is the best one hands down and when I’m back at the restaurant later in the week (I was invited to lunch there with some new cruising friends) I’m just going to get a full size of that one.

I washed everything down with a glass of the white sangria that’s a special menu cocktail for this restaurant (they also do a red which I’ll be trying next time).  I was one of only 3 tables occupied and service was excellent.

After lunch I went back to the room to nap and do some work before dinner at Murano.  Before I headed to dinner I got to FaceTime with my little mini me GenZ.  

She gave me the news that she’s finally decided between the two options for our summer mommy daughter cruise and is going to pass on MSC Seascape and wants to sail on E class for her first time on Beyond!  We’ll be sailing the week of my birthday and I’m pretty excited to celebrate it on my favorite ship. I guess I’ll have to make some time to visit future cruises. When I last checked the Beyond cruise in sky suite was just under $1K more expensive than the YC on Seascape when accounting for perks MSC was offering that Celebrity wasn’t, but we’ll see how the math shakes out with current promos and onboard offer.

When I got to Murano I had the same server and fabulous sommilier from chef’s table the night before and they both welcomed me warmly.  I ordered all of my Murano favorites:  the lobster bisque, mushroom risotto, Murano lobster and Gran Marnier soufflé.  All were everything I’d been waiting 4 E class cruises to eat again.

I decided to get a bottle of wine with dinner and Ivana made a great recommendation for my desired price point, preference for dry reds and something that would go well with the lobster.

As I was finishing my 20 year tawny port, two awesome couples I’ve made friends with from the UK were just sitting to dinner and invited me to sit and sip and chat with them.  It turns out one of the couples is on their honeymoon cruise and we ordered a bottle of veuve to share and toast the happy couple.

After much dinner dinner conversation and champagne we all went up and shut down the sunset bar talking and laughing together in the sea air until the wee hours.

Well, if you’ll excuse me, I just got buzzed by a 747 on approach to land at Flamingo airport as we sail away from Bonaire (literally so close over the ship that my eardrums vibrated and the engine wash blew my hair in my face…I almost spilled my super Tuscan…I want some butts!) and Franklin (my very friendly server from Kenya) just put a personal sausage and pepper pizza in front of me.

I’ll check in again later tonight and tell you all about my day in Bonaire.

IMG_7635.thumb.jpeg.8703342c9394569b1824f650386caf0e.jpeg

IMG_7636.thumb.jpeg.102580b1499d55969735482e621dc8ac.jpeg

IMG_7638.thumb.jpeg.aaf2f9f9ee427cb6f5e0dd6f066258c6.jpeg

IMG_7639.thumb.jpeg.6cddfe0eef0d953ee28fcc1b05c27ce2.jpeg

IMG_7644.thumb.jpeg.49084badfb398d082a8a5577b4313b17.jpeg

IMG_7647.thumb.jpeg.b68db351256def6fe0d16b6049265c7a.jpeg

IMG_7650.thumb.jpeg.30f756b0046cb46846d41a65c98a61bb.jpeg

IMG_7651.thumb.jpeg.e4a5605f68e0364d61ea6fcdc80b27a0.jpeg

IMG_7652.thumb.jpeg.87004da613c646a03c6b8952ecd8c2ea.jpeg

IMG_7658.jpeg.2bd3974e367b019f68d331c46d5117ea.jpeg

IMG_7657.thumb.jpeg.bba44a7ff6c673c7929682de4e2b1e6b.jpeg

IMG_7659.thumb.jpeg.bc289ff8367ac4690a001bad93b3386c.jpeg

IMG_7660.thumb.jpeg.9731e292a2f0d0d69216230f55a14dec.jpeg

• Like 20

Your photos of Murano's brings back such fond memories for me when I was sailing  Celebrity  ships. I remember the dover sole and of course all the wonderful desserts. I am loving your trip report  so much . 

• Thanks 1

We booked Le Voyage on our upcoming Ascent cruise, but I have loved Murano since I worked for Celebrity and got to go to the original on the Century. Goat Cheese Soufflé was always one of my favorites.

Edited by georgiaguy

1 minute ago, georgiaguy said:

We booked Le Voyage on our upcoming Ascent cruise, but I have loved Murano since I worked for Celebrity and got to go to the original on the Century. Goat Cheese Soufflé was always one of my favorites.

Yes my first Celebrity ship was the Century. I did a Panama Canal cruise  on the Century with friends. We  dined in Murano for Christmas and New Years Eve.  Will never forget.... 

• Like 1