GET OFF SHIP ON ISLAND?

36 minutes ago, AllgoodOnTheRoad said:

Her question does intrigue me. If a person did not intend to do this and just missed the ship as so many do. I suspect that this would mean a guided exit from the island by authorities and a flight home at your own expense, but could a person get away with just booking a hotel and a flight home in a few days? Is there some requirement for reporting your missing of the ship? I know the ship reports you, but I doubt that means an APB goes out for you. Anyone have any real experience in missing the ship unintentionally with a passport in hand? Did it feel like you could have booked a room and stayed a few days? 

Question.........LUGGAGE?????

• Like 1

On 2/7/2024 at 8:56 AM, Cruisegirl6 said:

We have a wedding to go to on august 18th there.  There is no such thing as a cheap hotel, the Marriott cost us over 550 a night.  Why the rudeness people?  We go on 2-3 cruises a year but due to health issue I can't travel until I recooperate which will be around the end of June and it be a way for us to get back to cruising and combining a cruise and our aruba trip we think be nice.

Your trip sounds wonderful. Are you looking for just a hotel, or a resort? I did a little searching now on a hotel website and there are good deals to be had during the time of your visit (as low as $49 for a place in Oranjestad, but nice resorts for under $200 a night). Congratulations to the lucky couple having their wedding in Aruba. Have a great time down there!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, AllgoodOnTheRoad said:

Her question does intrigue me. If a person did not intend to do this and just missed the ship as so many do. I suspect that this would mean a guided exit from the island by authorities and a flight home at your own expense, but could a person get away with just booking a hotel and a flight home in a few days? Is there some requirement for reporting your missing of the ship? I know the ship reports you, but I doubt that means an APB goes out for you. Anyone have any real experience in missing the ship unintentionally with a passport in hand? Did it feel like you could have booked a room and stayed a few days? 

Yes, you will be reported missing and yes, the authorities will be on the look out for you. At the very least when you return to the US you will likely be sent to secondary inspection since according to CBP's records you are on a cruise and now here you are, arriving by air. They'll be making extra sure that it is you, as well, and not someone who is taking your place. Since the entry requirements for a country are often different for cruise ship passengers then they are for those arriving by plane that might be an issue, too. Certainly nothing that I have on my bucket list.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, AllgoodOnTheRoad said:

Visitors to Aruba need a entry/exit card that is waived for cruise guests so you would still need to be legally entered into the country in order to exit.  Guests who miss the ship are put in contact with port authorities 

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

Thinking of taking a cruise and getting off at the port of Aruba, staying a few days and flying back.  I know people will say its impossible but I called Aruba Customs and they said its fine, as long as I fill out online the customs card that I am arriving by sea and flying back to the states on air.  

I know people miss the ship at ports or have emergencies where they need to disembark the ship at a port and fly back home, has this happened to anybody and if so, did you run into any problems or have to get special permission?

I realize cruises can't hold us hostage, and the PUSA law does not apply to us as we are disembarking from the US to a foreign port so it is allowed.

We really want to take a partial cruise and stay 9 nights in Aruba, like to hear your thoughts.  

You need to have special permission from Carnival, and I don't think they are giving it.  You could just leave the ship, but, you could be given fines onboard the ship and such and banned from all futire Carnival, and carnival corp sailings.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, jedi bobs said:

You need to have special permission from Carnival, and I don't think they are giving it.  You could just leave the ship, but, you could be given fines onboard the ship and such and banned from all futire Carnival, and carnival corp sailings.

Fine you for what? It's not a PVSA violation.

Carnival can't hold you hostage. If they won't approve an early debark in advance, just have a family emergency the night before and go to Guest Services telling them you need to disembark in Aruba.

• Like 2

Despite what the “experts” here say, ask Carnival.  The rest of the sage advice does not matter.  I thas nothing to do with being held hostage.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, jedi bobs said:

What? Where did you find this information? LOL

• Like 3

I don't know the answer to this but this question seems very familiar. I recall someone asking it a few months ago and I think they were going to attend a wedding in Aruba so they wanted to take the cruise and leave the ship in Aruba. They were given all kinds of varying replies here but in the end the OP said they were given permission to do so by Celebrity so they decided to book their cruise with them. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Knights on the Beach said:

I don't know the answer to this but this question seems very familiar. I recall someone asking it a few months ago and I think they were going to attend a wedding in Aruba so they wanted to take the cruise and leave the ship in Aruba. They were given all kinds of varying replies here but in the end the OP said they were given permission to do so by Celebrity so they decided to book their cruise with them. 

That would seem the way to do it.  Ask before you book the cruise.  If not, check around to see if any other line would allow you to do it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

Fine you for what? It's not a PVSA violation.

Carnival can't hold you hostage. If they won't approve an early debark in advance, just have a family emergency the night before and go to Guest Services telling them you need to disembark in Aruba.

You still pay the fees incurred by Carnival,  no matter what reason you use.  I think it is about $800 pp. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

You still pay the fees incurred by Carnival,  no matter what reason you use.  I think it is about $800 pp. 

Not.  That’s the PVSA fine, which is actually about $940 now.  The cruise lines do not like to have people debark downline because it screws up the manifest and makes the entire cruise no longer closed loop…for everyone.  Much annoying paperwork for CBP.  And can slow things down for the final debark in the home port.  EM

• Like 1

11 hours ago, nydney1 said:

Interesting, I’m interested as well

The problem is we not getting anybody to answer so I will keep asking, maybe find somebody who knows.

21 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

Not.  That’s the PVSA fine, which is actually about $940 now.  The cruise lines do not like to have people debark downline because it screws up the manifest and makes the entire cruise no longer closed loop…for everyone.  Much annoying paperwork for CBP.  And can slow things down for the final debark in the home port.  EM

Not?