About to book Crown Princess - stateroom advice please

Muffinz

We are probably (providing my leave from work gets approved) going to book Crown Princess for a December cruise (12 Day Southern Australia Explorer)

When we go to do a booking online to select a stateroom, mid-ship is sold out, so we're looking at mid-aft and there are plenty of Balcony staterooms available on deck 14 - but looking at the deck plans the calypso reef pool looks to be above these rooms. Wife is worried it will be a bit noisy.

The only other staterooms (according to Princess website) in mid-aft are on deck 11 and 12, but they are further away from the central lifts (not that it's a deal breaker)

the advantage with decks 11 & 12 is they are stateroom only decks - so no noise from public spaces from the decks above or below

if you had to choose between deck 14 or deck 11 or 12 - which would you choose and why?

When I look at the deck plans for mid aft the Calypso pool & the Horizon Court seem to be above the cabins not the main pool but from reports anywhere under the pool deck can be noisy due to the loungers being arranged & the towel carts etc.  Have you looked for reviews on a particular cabin?  If your wife is concerned I would book the lower floors.  It really isn't far to a set of elevators anywhere you book with the exception of the furthest cabins in the front & aft.  FYI we are booked in a cabin on the Riviera deck in May to Alaska so we'll see how we like it then! 

Edited by happy42cruise
misspelling

I would select aft cabins, cat BD on deck 11 or 10. These are great cabins and I frequently stay in them. I have found over the years that there is no excessive movement being further aft if that is your concern. In fact I'm booked into one on the Ruby in two weeks. The deck 10 cabins have 9ft x 9ft balconies half covered. Deck 11 cabins have 9ft x 5ft covered balconies. Some of these cabins are connecting with interior connecting doors. You can find which cabins are connected by going to the deck plans on the Princess web site and checking the connecting cabin box. 

My goal is to be surrounded by other cabins--above, below, next door and if possible, across the hall.  I think this lessens the opportunity for unwanted noises.  So, I would (and just recently did) take a cabin on 11 or 12, and not on 14.

• Like 2

ok thanks for the replies

8 hours ago, happy42cruise said:

When I look at the deck plans for mid aft the Calypso pool & the Horizon Court seem to be above the cabins not the main pool but from reports anywhere under the pool deck can be noisy due to the loungers being arranged & the towel carts etc.  Have you looked for reviews on a particular cabin?  If your wife is concerned I would book the lower floors.  It really isn't far to a set of elevators anywhere you book with the exception of the furthest cabins in the front & aft.  FYI we are booked in a cabin on the Riviera deck in May to Alaska so we'll see how we like it then! 

thanks for the advice, but where would I find reviews on a particular cabin / stateroom? - I didn't know you could find reviews stateroom

42 minutes ago, Muffinz said:

ok thanks for the replies

thanks for the advice, but where would I find reviews on a particular cabin / stateroom? - I didn't know you could find reviews stateroom

You may not be able to find a review for your exact cabin...Google is your friend here. Keep in mind that YouTube has many video reviews as well.

1 minute ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

You may not be able to find a review for your exact cabin...Google is your friend here. Keep in mind that YouTube has many video reviews as well.

thanks - over the last week we've watched about 20-30 Crown Princess videos on you tube... I feel like I've already been on the ship LOL.

I'll try google search for the staterooms we're looking at

I do not know if the availability that you are seeing is different than we are showing here in the U.S...  But, the system is showing several balcony cabins mid-FWD and mid-AFT on decks 11 and 12.

If you are showing any balcony cabins that have interior cabins across the hall...  that might be good.

The advice about booking with other cabins around you is oft repeated!

I would also encourage you to book one of the premium cabins on deck 10.  Those balconies are NICE.   And, you might find one that is surrounded by other cabins.

Edited by Wishing on a star

49 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

I do not know if the availability that you are seeing is different than we are showing here in the U.S...  But, the system is showing several balcony cabins mid-FWD and mid-AFT on decks 11 and 12.

If you are showing any balcony cabins that have interior cabins across the hall...  that might be good.

The advice about booking with other cabins around you is oft repeated!

I would also encourage you to book one of the premium cabins on deck 10.  Those balconies are NICE.   And, you might find one that is surrounded by other cabins.

thanks - I've been looking at mid-aft and there are a few on deck 11 and 12

we're not really interested in the premium balconies as the decks above can see down on the balconies

I just wanted to make sure you know that only the extended part of these balconies are visible.

The space of the standard balcony is covered and not visible.

Best of both worlds...

More space..  Sun if you want it...  and the standard covered area.

Also, I have not double checked...  but it is possible that these balconies have an actual table on them,  not just the two chairs and little footstool side-table thing.

Hope this helps!!!!

Book Caribe Deck (10). We tend to pretty much always book a Caribe balcony when on that class of ship as the balcony is much larger and is half covered. They have two loungers with separate footstools and a small table.

We absolutely love the Caribe Deck balconies on all of the Grand Class of ships. Crown is a sort of sub-class of the Grand Class similar to Emerald Princess. They have an extra passenger deck (which doesn't bother us at all) and have Adagio which is a great place for quiet in the daytime.

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 2

If you are a buffet person or will use the elevators most of the time, then I would book Riviera Deck 14   R730+   or more aft.  The infrequently used Cafe Caribe will be a deck above.  The benefit of these cabins are that you are 6 steps up to the Terrace (adult only) pool and Outrigger Bar.  It also has really nice tables and loungers.

Go to your app and pull up the photo for Terrace Pool.  Lovely spot and not well used.  

• Like 3

thanks for the replies... when I go to do a booking on Princess website and go to choose a state room it says mid-ship is not available (on any deck), so I've been looking at mid-aft and the only staterooms that are available are on decks 11, 12 and 14 - we are booking direct and not using a T/A

wife said she might phone Princess and ask about rooms available.... but I would say what's on their website is all they have?

I found that on Crown deck 11 (Baja) was good, as you have cabins above and below deck 11. The only thing I found that some of the Balcony cabins are not really designed for four people, as one will need to sleep on a row-away cot. If you don't have four passengers, then this is not an issue, otherwise the one who gets the cot is not getting a good bed.

14 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

If you are a buffet person or will use the elevators most of the time, then I would book Riviera Deck 14   R730+   or more aft.  The infrequently used Cafe Caribe will be a deck above.  The benefit of these cabins are that you are 6 steps up to the Terrace (adult only) pool and Outrigger Bar.  It also has really nice tables and loungers.

Go to your app and pull up the photo for Terrace Pool.  Lovely spot and not well used.  

We are booked in cabins R707 to 701 this May on the Crown, across from the aft elevators for my elderly parents. They are under the buffet and you mention being farther aft than these, so do you or anyone know if there will be a lot of noise above us from the main buffet area? We still have time to switch cabins if necessary. 

I prefer further aft to your current location.  But you may also feel more aft vibrations from the engines.  I can’t respond to your specific location (only stayed further aft).  If walking is a concern, it is a long walk.

• Thanks 1

We were hoping to be as close to the main (middle) elevators as possible for ease of getting around the ship.... we had a mid-ship stateroom on Celebrity in 2018 and loved it as it was central to everything.... 

The system here is showing A308,  which is mid FWD, and between the mid and forward elevators.

Mid AFT, there is. A618 and A622 on Port.  A619 and 623 Starboard.

There are several nice Premium balconies located right at the mid-ship Elevators.

C430,  C432, and C434. Port,    and C433 Starboard

I would highly recommend one of these on Caribe.

• Like 1

On 2/14/2024 at 9:28 AM, riffatsea said:

Always book with cabins above and below you!

No question about it

And beside you. Years ago before good research, we had the blank space which turned out to be the stewards closets. Early morning noise was my alarm clock. Now no blank spaces across the hall. I am a very light sleeper.

57 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

The system here is showing A308,  which is mid FWD, and between the mid and forward elevators.

Mid AFT, there is. A618 and A622 on Port.  A619 and 623 Starboard.

There are several nice Premium balconies located right at the mid-ship Elevators.

C430,  C432, and C434. Port,    and C433 Starboard

I would highly recommend one of these on Caribe.

thanks - we'd not considered a Premium balcony stateroom because we saw a couple of 'stateroom reviews on YouTube where people were looking down onto the balconies below.... and it didn't look that private - but yes they are in a good location

Muffins....    do not jump to a quick opinion...  remember, these have the exact same amount of private balcony as all regular staterooms,  plus that extra extended area.

Plus, an actual real table for your morning coffee, pre dinner drinks or snacks, etc.

I don't think you would regret it.

Just trying to hep!!!