Transatlatlantic on the Ascent- Barcelona to Fort Lauderdale

We are going on the TA from Barcelona on the Ascent in October this year.  We will arrive in Barcelona about 4 days prior- we have booked a few things prior including a day trip to Madrid.  Any other recommendations on tours to take while in Barcelona...we will be boarding on the 26th of October.  Our excursions while on the TA are all booked through celebrity (which we prefer while on the cruise to avoid any issues with getting back on time to the ship before departure.)  

Thanks in advance for any recommendations you can give...even restaurant recommendations in Barcelona. 

If you only see one Gaudi site see the Sagrada Familia. Get tickets in advance or better a guided tour. The tapas scene is lively but can be a bit intimidating. Do a tapas tour. We used The Barcelona Taste. Be very careful about your personal items as pickpockets abound and are very skilled. Las Ramblas is the most likely place to get robbed!

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, twoeights said:

We are going on the TA from Barcelona on the Ascent in October this year.  We will arrive in Barcelona about 4 days prior- we have booked a few things prior including a day trip to Madrid.  Any other recommendations on tours to take while in Barcelona...we will be boarding on the 26th of October.  Our excursions while on the TA are all booked through celebrity (which we prefer while on the cruise to avoid any issues with getting back on time to the ship before departure.)  

Thanks in advance for any recommendations you can give...even restaurant recommendations in Barcelona. 

A trip to Montserrat is wonderful. I used Barcelona Day Tours. It  was a trip there and a stop at a Cava vineyard. I also used them for a quick tour the morning of the cruise, picked up around 8:30, dropped off at Cruise Terminal around 1:00.

Edited by kelib
  • Like 2

See all the Gaudi buildings/ parks that you can!  Read a bio..very interesting! Modern City Planner!

The Montserrat excursion is totally awesome...

There is also a great music hall..pre book. tix or wander inside.   

We wandered in the Older city and discovered some fabulous Roman ruins, part of Barcelona Museum. 

We liked the  main boulevard  Las Ramblas. with  restaurants/ market/ shopping.

ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR WALLETS in the CITY OF THIEVES...even at the airport!

If you haven't been to Barcelona,I would just stay in Barcelona.

There are so much to see and do there if you only have 4 days.before the cruise.

Yes Barcelona is the heaven for Pickpocket.

Edited by verizon

Day trips: if you only have 4 days I would not train to Madrid for the day. The only exception would be if it’s art you are after as the Prado is one of the finest art museums in the world. It’s a 5 hour round trip and that’s the high speed train. It gives you precious little time there. Besides, having been there several times it is not a typical charming European capital. It’s sprawling, fairly modern for the most part, lot’s of traffic. As for the poster with 2 days going to Andorra- why? We were there on a tour last year and it was one of the least interesting places we have ever visited. Also a long round trip to visit a place with little charm. the shopping is the draw but it’s overrated.  Barcelona has so much you’ll barely scratch the surface in 2 days. Get Rick Steves pocket guide to Barcelona.

• Like 2

We used Spain Day Tours for a Barcelona City Tour. With them, you can also purchase tickets for inside Sagrada Familia and Park Guell for the afternoon after your City tour. We think they are great!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rustyman said:

I recommend that you have a look at the roll call for this cruise, that’s where you’ll get lots of advice and ideas for this cruise.

I agree about the roll call.  And, I am on it.  😁

• Like 1

Top of the list are always

Sagrada de Famila

Park Guell

Barcelona Zoo -  which use to be famous for Snowflack an Albino Gorilla -  unfortunately he died in November of 2003 from Skin Cancer.  Still a really nice zoo.

La Pedreara -Casa Mila

Wandering down the narrow streets of the Gothic Quarter

• Like 2

Was last in BCN in November.  Great City.

Rick Steves has two good self-guided walking tours on his free app.

Sagrada Familia is a must-do.  Book early and book going up in one of the towers.  Great view and you get up-close with the facade.

Picasso Museum is also outstanding as Pablo was a young artist there.  

Madrid for the day will be a long tough outing.  Suggest you reconsider unless there's something there you can't miss.

Enjoy BCN, it's our favorite city in Spain!

• Like 2

Everyone talks about Sagrada Família but I think my favorite Gaudí site was Casa Milà. It's gorgeous; it had IMO the best, most informative and engaging audio tour; and there's an exhibit on Gaudí's furniture and fittings (door handles, etc) and how they were designed with the human body in mind that I absolutely loved. It also has the advantage of not being a church, for those of us who are not super comfortable in churches.

My other favorite place I went was the Sant Pau Art Nouveau Site. I think it doesn't get talked about as much because Gaudí is so synonymous with Catalan Modernism and architecture in Barcelona, but it was stunning. There are exhibits both on architect Lluís Domènech i Montaner and on the practice of medicine during the time the site was a functioning hospital. And for me it was just mind-blowing to be in a hospital that was so beautiful. That's not something we expect hospitals to be, and it changed the entire feeling of being there.

I hope you have an amazing time. I only flew in one day early and did a whirlwind architecture tour (I also saw Sagrada Família, Park Güell, Casa Vicens, and many of the facades on the Passeig de Gràcia) and I would go back for longer in a heartbeat. I would particularly love to make it to the Palau de la Música Catalana and see more of Lluís Domènech i Montaner's work.

A caution since I wish someone had told me: Sagrada Família's ticketing site is clear about how many stairs are involved in doing a tower view (there's an elevator most of the way up but you have to take the stairs down), but it doesn't really talk about what the stairs are like, and while I could have figured it out knowing they were tower stairs, I didn't think about it. They're very narrow, slippery stone spiral staircases, with no handrails on either side and only emptiness up the center. It's also mostly dark, since there are only windows on the outside. The view was lovely, but it can be seen from elsewhere, and if I had known what the climb down would be like I would have skipped it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The roll call for this cruise has some 80 couples already registered with 48 pages of info for you to read. Spreadsheet with activities on the cruise as well with port info. Lots of reading should keep you busy for a month between now and your cruise. Feel free to ask your questions on the roll call as well. Expect lots of responses. 

Edited by Kelownadon
  • Like 2

Lots of good advice on this thread. We personally love Barcelona and have been there many many times since the 70's .  Stay in Barcelona, there is lots to do and see.  As stated earlier - get a Rick Steve's guide and down load the self guided walking tours.  Excellent recommendations on resturants. He updates his guides every year.  A personal favorite is a service by Barcelona Slow Travel.  The tapas and seafood are abundant. 

Sagrada  Familia, Casa Mila, Picasso Museum, Las Ramblas , walking the Gothic Quarter are just the beginning. We always find something new every time we are there.  We have booked our TA for 2025 ending in Barcelona.  Oh yes, talk to the locals, especially in  the hotel you are staying; they will give you lots of advice on places to eat and visit. 

On 2/22/2024 at 7:34 PM, twoeights said:

Hello. I wrote my recommendations (after La Sagrada Familia, which doesn't need any introduction). I just link with information and feel free to ask and comment anything

One day in Barcelona: Gothic quarter

The most known area in Barcelona. Old city

One day in Barcelona: Montjuic mountain

A cosy and unknown mountain with a lot of things to do and see

One day away from Barcelona: A day-visit to Zaragoza

Bonus

Transport in Barcelona, Questions and Answers

Bonus. Spanish customs and other tips

Bo

In addition to all the other wonderful suggestions I would add the Barcelona Maritime Museum to your list. If you are planning to walk down Las Ramblas (towards the water) you will end up there. We really enjoyed the exhibits.

• 1 month later...
On 2/22/2024 at 12:34 PM, twoeights said:

Come on over to the roll call! See you there 🙂

In Barcelona the Hop On Hop Off bus is great to see so much! You can pick it up at Plaza Cataluna! Sagrada Familia should not be missed! Book the tickets online! We book our tickets for about an hour before sunset! When the sun is setting it is incredible coming thru the stain glass window! The cathedral is an amazing thing to see!

• Like 1