Which cruise line this time?

smch916

Hello! I haven't cruised in a long time. Used to cruise every year but it's been 9 years now. I'm going with a girlfriend to celebrate our 50th birthdays. I have booked Princess but I'm rethinking it. It's just not sounding too exciting to me. I've never sailed Princess but have sailed Carnival, Norw, Royal, Celebrity. I'm restricted to book for April (2024) and I'm looking at Carnival and Royal as options...Celebrity got too expensive when the inaugural sailings were canceled on their other ship).

She has never cruised before. We like to have cocktails. Not the life of the party but like to have excitement around us. Carnival I think I can afford a suite on some of the trips too.  Am I right in thinking I should cancel Princess and step back on to Carnival or Royal? Obviously I have my port consideration playing into it but I really want to pick the right cruise line first. Any opinions welcome...and would love to know your "why"

Thanks!

Honestly, it sounds like you would have a great time on any of those lines, including Princess.  From my Princess cruises, I thought the entertainment was right in line with RCI's older ships.  

That said, I never found Princess to be anything special.  Just kinda good all-around but with nothing particular that stands out.  

I think RCI is the better choice but if you decide to stick with your decision, you'll still have a great time on Princess.

• Like 2

We did Princess once.  Very mature crowd.  Ship was leaking from ceiling pipes.  Not a good experience.  They didn’t care.  We’re now booked with NCL and very happy.  Good balance between mature and young.  Lots to do on Joy and Bliss.  Like their upgraded packages.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, smch916 said:

I have my port consideration playing into it but I really want to pick the right cruise line first. Any opinions welcome...and would love to know your "why"

My background: HAL fanclub member, but have cruised NCL and RCCL one time each. The cruise on NCL was along the line of your "we could afford a suite on CCL". We could have a balcony on NCL for the price of an inside on HAL. Big mistake. Don't let that be your deciding factor.

I have also had bookings on Princess and CCL, that were cancelled due to pandemic and family health, respectively. 

I would try Princess if the itinerary was right, but they no longer sail from LA and that was the draw. I would also sail again on RCCL. I would not choose CCL or NCL ever.

Based on "but like to have excitement around us" I would pick Royal Caribbean for you. Our cruise with them was on an older, smaller ship, but there was always something going on in the attrium. And the cabin was in fine shape and so were the public areas throughout the ship. 

• Like 1

The best bang for the money by far is MSc yacht club which gives you a butler , premium drink package and free WiFi included in the price . Also great lounge area with a big bar and nightly entertainment, two restaurants including an outdoor restaurant with private pool , way cheaper than celebrity way more perks than rccl. 

• Like 1

On 2/24/2024 at 7:23 PM, George C said:

The best bang for the money by far is MSc yacht club which gives you a butler , premium drink package and free WiFi included in the price . Also great lounge area with a big bar and nightly entertainment, two restaurants including an outdoor restaurant with private pool , way cheaper than celebrity way more perks than rccl. 

We tried our first MSC in October 2023, and it was ok, and we had a good time (we were with friends), but I would ONLY do MSC again if we were in the Yacht Club. If we were 10-15 years younger, (we’d be your age, OP) I would seriously consider Virgin. 

Edited by lisiamc

On 2/23/2024 at 11:23 PM, smch916 said:

Hello! I haven't cruised in a long time. Used to cruise every year but it's been 9 years now. I'm going with a girlfriend to celebrate our 50th birthdays. I have booked Princess but I'm rethinking it. It's just not sounding too exciting to me. I've never sailed Princess but have sailed Carnival, Norw, Royal, Celebrity. I'm restricted to book for April (2024) and I'm looking at Carnival and Royal as options...Celebrity got too expensive when the inaugural sailings were canceled on their other ship).

She has never cruised before. We like to have cocktails. Not the life of the party but like to have excitement around us. Carnival I think I can afford a suite on some of the trips too.  Am I right in thinking I should cancel Princess and step back on to Carnival or Royal? Obviously I have my port consideration playing into it but I really want to pick the right cruise line first. Any opinions welcome...and would love to know your "why"

Thanks!

Two 50 year olds cruising together? Got to be either Celebrity or Virgin Voyages surely?

Two many little creatures on the all the others.

10 hours ago, DarrenM said:

Two 50 year olds cruising together? Got to be either Celebrity or Virgin Voyages surely?

Two many little creatures on the all the others.

I would have loved to sail Virgin! Unfortunately by the time I discovered Virgin, there was only one longer cruise available in April. It leaves just a few days earlier than we really want to.

We ended up sticking with Princess. Any day cruising is better than... right?