Medical Evacuation

I have insurance for my next Caribbean cruise (I always get it) with Leisure Care and it does include emergency medical evacuation. Cruise goes to following ports:  Private Island Bahamas, Puerto Rico, Amber Cove, Turks and Caicos. I am concerned about a possible retina detachment. I had one 2 years ago and have been told the possibility is good (I’m the perfect candidate for) another in the other eye. Anyone experience this?  Do you get to be air lifted to the US?  Or just taken to nearest hospital?  Time is of essence to have the repair or blindness will most likely occur. 

Also, cannot find any info on whether this is pre-existing. I might never have this happen. The only pre-existing is that I had cataract surgery which could exacerbate this last month. 

Thank you. 

OP, you do know that the "medical evacuation" does not cover the evacuation from the ship?  It is just from whatever shore medical facility you are disembarked to, back to a hospital of your choice in the US.

7 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

OP, you do know that the "medical evacuation" does not cover the evacuation from the ship?  It is just from whatever shore medical facility you are disembarked to, back to a hospital of your choice in the US.

What would happen if a medical evacuation was need on a sea day.

The reason I as ask is that on our last cruise, DW first went to the medical center on a sea day between Norway and Iceland. She was given an exam and a prescription for constipation. A few weeks after the cruise, her condition worsened, and she ended in an ambulance, then an emergency room, and finally was hospitalized as the constipation was only a symptom of what was wrong.

2 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

And some policies only cover exacuation to the US if there's not a suitable facility in the foreign country.  They won't cover evacuation just because you *want* to be treated in the US.

Medical evacuation from a ship at sea, if available, is done by national agencies, as it is considered SAR (Search and Rescue), and is done at no charge to the patient as prescribed by the UNCLOS (United Nations Convention on Law of the Sea).  If there is no nation that has agreed to provide SAR to a given region, or if the ship is out of range, then the ship will need to divert to a port, or closer to a SAR asset to get the patient off the ship.

No ship in the world will allow, nor would any LifeFlight company agree to, make an evacuation from a moving ship at sea.  Only military or para-military agencies (like coast guards) train for and assume the responsibility of doing evacuations from a ship at sea.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

I will clarify. I am aware that the evacuation would only be from land. I was wondering if the evacuation would take place if in a foreign port (like Amber Cove) and they did have a medical facility, however they are not well versed in repairing a detached retina. From what the answers here seem to state I’m at their mercy and that’s the chance I take going out of our country. 

1 hour ago, Cruiser1862 said:

I have insurance for my next Caribbean cruise (I always get it) with Leisure Care and it does include emergency medical evacuation. Cruise goes to following ports:  Private Island Bahamas, Puerto Rico, Amber Cove, Turks and Caicos. I am concerned about a possible retina detachment. I had one 2 years ago and have been told the possibility is good (I’m the perfect candidate for) another in the other eye. Anyone experience this?  Do you get to be air lifted to the US?  Or just taken to nearest hospital?  Time is of essence to have the repair or blindness will most likely occur. 

Also, cannot find any info on whether this is pre-existing. I might never have this happen. The only pre-existing is that I had cataract surgery which could exacerbate this last month. 

Thank you. 

It is not pre existing and it might never happen. What you need to do is watch for symptoms. If there is a detachment you will be scheduled for surgery but it could be a few days. So you won’t be airlifted. I advise calling your doctor, flying back but avoid having anything done in away from home because there are different procedures depending on the detachment. With some of them, oil bubble you can’t fly. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

If it were me, rather than asking for advice from well meaning strangers, I would contact an agency who is able to give you fully accurate information regarding your specific needs. 

Our go-to has always been Steve at tripinsurancestore.com

We've bought from Steve for many, many years. He has never disappointed. Good luck. 

• Like 4

Thank you all very much. I will definitely contact Steve. 
We are driving to the port, about a 10 hour trip. No flights so don’t have that issue. 
such a scary experience first time around I just want to be prepared. 
again, thank you all. 

56 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

It is not pre existing and it might never happen. What you need to do is watch for symptoms. If there is a detachment you will be scheduled for surgery but it could be a few days. So you won’t be airlifted. I advise calling your doctor, flying back but avoid having anything done in away from home because there are different procedures depending on the detachment. With some of them, oil bubble you can’t fly. 

You’re dealing with insurance companies here.  Having an ingrown eyelash is likely to mean you have a preexisting condition. Look into buying an annual medical policy, although even those have restrictions on a preexisting condition.

1 hour ago, Cruiser1862 said:

I will clarify. I am aware that the evacuation would only be from land. I was wondering if the evacuation would take place if in a foreign port (like Amber Cove) and they did have a medical facility, however they are not well versed in repairing a detached retina. From what the answers here seem to state I’m at their mercy and that’s the chance I take going out of our country. 

Only IF all 3 of the following happen.

1. The treating facility agrees that you need to be evacuated

2. The receiving facility agreed you needed to be evacuated

3. The insurance company agreed with the other 2.

If you have Medjet Assist, then you and Medjet could make that decision if you are a member and you fall within their guidelines.

1 hour ago, Charles4515 said:

Whether it is a "pre-existing condition" would depend upon the wording of the specific insurance policy one has, and also how the insurer "interprets" that.

We always get coverage that has NO exclusions for pre-existing conditions, so the possible issue never comes up.

GC

Had a retinal detachment in Dec 2006, a week later it detached in another area of the same eye.  Buckle put in the first time.  Second time they did the gas bubble treatment.  I was not allowed to go higher than sea level for 6 weeks.  Docs told me the chances of it happening in the other eye were good but it has been 17 years, knock on wood.  It is scary but treatable. I was told the risk factors were age, near sightedness and pale blue eyes; all of which describes me.

K

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Shippy said:

MY VISION IS VERY IMPORTANT TO ME......

I would skip the cruise...

OP has no condition. People who are very nearsighted have a higher chance of retinal detachment than the general population. If there is a detachment in one eye then a person has a higher possibility of detachment than the general population. They tell patients that so they can be alert for symptoms. They are informing them of the risk factor. People lose their eyesight because they ignore or procrastinate when there are symptoms. OP does not have to stop cruising or change their lifestyle. They don’t have a disease. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

OP has no condition. People who are very nearsighted have a higher chance of retinal detachment than the general population. If there is a detachment in one eye then a person has a higher possibility of detachment than the general population. They tell patients that so they can be alert for symptoms. They are informing them of the risk factor. People lose their eyesight because they ignore or procrastinate when there are symptoms. OP does not have to stop cruising or change their lifestyle. They don’t have a disease. 

? They already had one & were informed they might have another .................

16 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

Whether it is a "pre-existing condition" would depend upon the wording of the specific insurance policy one has, and also how the insurer "interprets" that.

We always get coverage that has NO exclusions for pre-existing conditions, so the possible issue never comes up.

GC

OP does not have a pre existing condition. They have a risk factor. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Shippy said:

? They already had one & were informed they might have another .................

They were informed there was a risk because they had one. You are in effect advising them to never cruise again or travel again because there is a risk of something happening that may never happen. They inform of the risk so people know to see a medical professionals right away if there are symptoms. Not to stop them from normal activities. If you are at risk all you can do is be alert for symptoms. 

Edited by Charles4515

35 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

They were informed there was a risk because they had one. You are in effect advising them to never cruise again or travel again because there is a risk of something happening that may never happen. They inform of the risk so people know to see a medical professionals right away if there are symptoms. Not to stop them from normal activities. If you are at risk all you can do is be alert for symptoms. 

[emphasis added]

Whoa.

We are not suggesting they stop normal activities!

This is about travel insurance.

... and whether there would be coverage should a specific medical event occur.

2 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

It is not pre existing and it might never happen.

And I can ASSURE you that *IF* OP has another detached retina while traveling (or perhaps other related medical "event") it **WILL** be up to the TRAVEL INSURANCE COMPANY to determine whether there was any related/relevant "pre-existing condition".

They won't care what I say, and very *importantly*, they won't care one bit that *you* declared there was not any pre-existing medical condition.

(... not unless you happen to be on that particular travel insurer's medical staff, with decision-making authority, etc.)

Full stop.

And whether there was a pre-existing medical condition will depend in good part on precisely how that particular travel insurance company (that specific insurer, not other insurers, and not other people) defined "pre-existing medical condition".

Have you actually read the definition of "pre-existing medical condition" in several of the insurers' policies?

Sometimes it is sufficient that one was simply seen within a certain period of time by a medical practitioner about something, or a medicine prescribed... or even a *suggestion* that a medicine be taken, even if the patient declines to get the prescription filled, or some medical test be taken... or even suggested even if the patient doesn't have it done...

... to have it be determined by the insurer that there was indeed a pre-existing condition.

GC

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

We are not suggesting they stop normal activities!

This is about travel insurance.

... and whether there would be coverage should a specific medical event occur.

That reply was to Shippy. about stopping normal activiries. As to the rest of your post it it mainly fear mongering. Very prevalent on these boards. OP does need travel insurance for sure, but they are not going to go blind unless they ignore their symptoms or go to a bad eye surgeon. That would go for anyone. Anyone who is very near sighted is at risk of a retinal detachment. Do you think travel insurence considers myopia a pre existing condition for insurance? It is a condition.  

Edited by Charles4515

1 hour ago, Charles4515 said:

Charles is correct, I don’t have a disease and I don’t have to stop cruising or traveling.  I was merely explaining my situation, that I have a greater than average chance of a detachment in my other eye. Which means I’m more alert to signs and want to make sure every precaution is taken. Which means I will be making sure I have he proper insurance (thank you to all who suggested what I look for). But I can keep traveling and living a normal life. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

That reply was to Shippy. about stopping normal activiries. As to the rest of your post it it mainly fear mongering. Very prevalent on these boards. OP does need travel insurance for sure, but they are not going to go blind unless they ignore their symptoms or go to a bad eye surgeon. That would go for anyone. Anyone who is very near sighted is at risk of a retinal detachment. Do you think travel insurence considers myopia a pre existing condition for insurance? It is a condition.  

Well....Shippy was referring to HERSELF....me....I personally would not travel with that particular fear. I would assume the OP had that fear or they would not have started the post !

OP & anyone else is free to assess & then travel if they feel like it. I came back with Covid twice from 2 different cruises in the past year & yet that particular fear will not keep me from cruising again & I am OLD    :O)