Sanctuary question on the Sun

Mjkny

For those that asked whether access to the suite area of the Sanctuary is included as a suite benefit, the following is from Princess' website about Suite accommodations on the Sun:

"a spacious Signature Penthouse Suite with balcony includes all the amenities of our Signature Collection, including access to the Signature Restaurant, Signature Lounge and Signature Sun Deck, a private area of The Sanctuary."

So full suite would include access to the private area of The Sanctuary.

And it would appear this suite area has the best loungers and the best views.

The one question I have...since suite guests traverse through the non-suite area of the Sanctuary to get to the suite area, would it be possible for suite guests to just hang out in the non-suite area?

Or are suite guests limited to the suite area only?

Posted (edited)

To summarize what we know so far on pricing for Sun Class Sanctuary.  Not all questions have been answered.

General Access Fee = $100/pp/day (officially $99, but really now?).  What you get is access to regular deck sun beds, perhaps a double-wide padded chair near the pool, some curvy hard plastic loungers at the pool, plus a general seating area that have tables and chairs and appears to be the only area with shade.

Suite Guests pay no Access Fee and have access to designated area with comfy padded loungers we are used to.

There is a bar.

Cabanas cost $500/day (no word on number of guests allowed without paying more, although the number is 2 on older ships).  These have full shade and some sun.

NO word on part days - it is likely the $100 entry fee applies.  

NO definitive word on selecting lounger location and it seems unlikely this is still the case.

ETA:  I'm calling it the "Not-A-Real-Sanctuary Sanctuary", or the Non-Sanctuary for short.

Edited by Steelers36
  • Like 4

We usually book Sanctuary for our entire cruise but after seeing this new design I think we will be forgoing Sanctuary on our upcoming (haha not until 2025) Sun Princess cruise.  No cushions is no good!

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Jilliebean28 said:

We usually book Sanctuary for our entire cruise but after seeing this new design I think we will be forgoing Sanctuary on our upcoming (haha not until 2025) Sun Princess cruise.  No cushions is no good!

I'm pretty sure Princess will retrofit some sun sails there until 2025. It's just not working the way it is now.

Edited by EDVM96
  • Like 1

I suspect that the change to the Sanctuary on the Sun is not an oversight. After all now that the class system has arrived they need to show how much better you have it with a suite compared to those not willing to pay for a suite.

If the Signature suites are successful on the Sun I expect suite prices to go up and the Royal class ships to get retrofitted with Signature dining and potentially  Sanctuaries to be converted to Signature Sun decks of Royal class ships.

Not unlike what Celebrity did with their existing ships once they went with the class system on new builds.

Would be easy for Princess to add cushions to the recliners in the Sanctuary on the Sun, similar to the ones they add to the Lido deck for movies under the stars, if they choose to do so.

18 hours ago, TRLD said:

Would be easy for Princess to add cushions to the recliners in the Sanctuary on the Sun, similar to the ones they add to the Lido deck for movies under the stars, if they choose to do so.

$99 per person to access the Sanctuary on sea days is a significant cost and would be a huge revenue generator if demand is high. 

Princess would be stupid to not add cushions to the Sanctuary recliners to make the area more attractive.  

Princess can recover the cost of the cushions probably in one sailing of the Sun.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

I agree with both these last posts...

Sure, it would be eazy-peazy to have padded loungers.....

Princess is going to lose decent revenue on this square footage if they do not change this.

Oversight??? I would hope so,  but early generated images do show NON-padded loungers.  So, this leans toward (stupid) purposeful decision by some 'suit' somewhere.

Would Princess try to pull this...  YES.  Wouldn't be the first very stupid, and totally disconnected from their customer,  that they have done.   

This actually starts with the sad and small Sanctuary areas on all at the new ships since Regal.

We all know about the MANY Princess FAILS....

Purposeful...  maybe...

Caused by some delay in shipment of loungers...  maybe...

Something to be corrected. ASAP...   Definitely!

Edited by Wishing on a star

17 minutes ago, CalTexCruiser said:

$99 per person to access the Sanctuary on sea days is a significant cost and would be a huge revenue generator if demand is high. 

Princess would be stupid to not add cushions to the Sanctuary recliners to make the area more attractive.  

Princess can recover the cost of the cushions probably in one sailing of the Sun.

Compared to the additional cost per day of suites, particularly if the can differentiate the value of the Suite level product like Celebrity has. The value is with the Suites.

The new $99 price per day pretty much demonstrates that if you want any of the suite benefits in a lessor cabin the price will be steep, if it is even offered in the future.

First of all thanks for the video.  Mixed feelings. We have booked a suite so I like the location in the aft and 'real' loungers.  The large pool and bar looks promising. I do agree with many posters that the 'regular' Sanctuary section (close together non padded loungers)  is not like we have had on other cruises. My main concern is overcrowding? The Retreat on X for suites only seems larger with more diverse seating.  So at this point still good with suite booking but have to agree that 'normal' Sanctuary does not seem so appealing. Excited to try new ship and suite amenities which are about the same as MSC YC and half the price of X Retreat. I am sure many more reports will be forthcoming.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

I agree with both these last posts...

Sure, it would be eazy-peazy to have padded loungers.....

Oversight... I would hope so,  but early generated images do show NON-padded loungers.  So, this leans toward (stupid) purposeful decision by some 'suit' somewhere.

Would Princess try to pull this...  YES.  Wouldn't be the first very stupid and totally disconnected from their customers that they have done.   

We all know about the MANY Princess FAILS....

Purposeful...  maybe...

Caused by some delay in shipment of loungers...  maybe...

Something to be corrected. ASAP...   Definitely!

Why not. Celebrity made similar moves when they went the class route making formerly public spaces Suites only.

With the Sun being Princess's first move to the class system, I expect that they will retain some existing elements at a higher price point until they are comfortable with  new system and the increased revenue they can get from the Suites.

If it works out I expect the Royal class to get retrofitted and the Class system to extend to that ship class as well. The same approach taken by Celebrity.

• Like 1

Of course it is possible that they are going in this direction.  No question!

Could be either way.

But, two things.

First, on new builds it isn't a zero-sum game.

They added the Suite areas,  but there is still plenty of public area.  the forward sun-deck/dome...  The AFT Terrace.. etc.

Secondly,  I do not see this entire area being just for suites....  That would be a huge square-footage to passenger ratio?

As mentioned...  if they increase the rate for the Sanctuary...  it does generate revenue.

5 minutes ago, TRLD said:

Why not. Celebrity made similar moves when they went the class route making formerly public spaces Suites only.

With the Sun being Princess's first move to the class system, I expect that they will retain some existing elements at a higher price point until they are comfortable with  new system and the increased revenue they can get from the Suites.

If it works out I expect the Royal class to get retrofitted and the Class system to extend to that ship class as well. The same approach taken by Celebrity.

I (sadly) have to agree. This (Sanctuary) has the making of a suite only area in the future. Possibly they are waiting for acceptance and support of suite booking for what is now 'reasonable pricing'. X has gone insane with their Retreat Pricing as did NCL Haven. MSC YC proved very popular and raised prices accordingly. I am excited for the Princess Sun product but cynically think it will follow the lead of the other lines.  JMHO

We really enjoyed the Regal sanctuary two years ago on port days when we had no desire to get off the ship. 

I doubt we will bother on the Sun this August as the Sea View terrace & bar looks very appealing and costs nothing. Just have to hope it's quiet on the days we dock in Athens, Naples and Messina.

Just now, chisoxfan said:

I (sadly) have to agree. This (Sanctuary) has the making of a suite only area in the future. Possibly they are waiting for acceptance and support of suite booking for what is now 'reasonable pricing'. X has gone insane with their Retreat Pricing as did NCL Haven. MSC YC proved very popular and raised prices accordingly. I am excited for the Princess Sun product but cynically think it will follow the lead of the other lines.  JMHO

If they do follow the other lines and extend the class approach the Sanctuary areas on the Royal class ships could ve easily converted to a Suite sun deck. Similarly 1/2 of one of the dining rooms could be converted to a Signiture dining room.

Once a cruise line has started going in the class system direction they have extended it to existing ships as they have gone through dry dock.

Posted (edited)

If I start a Go*Fund*Me, do you think I could get a trip on the Sun covered if I promise to interview managers and report back on all the things we are wondering about?

Edited by Steelers36
  • Haha 2