Sanctuary question on the Sun

Mjkny

1 hour ago, Wishing on a star said:

Of course it is possible that they are going in this direction.  No question!

Could be either way.

But, two things.

First, on new builds it isn't a zero-sum game.

They added the Suite areas,  but there is still plenty of public area.  the forward sun-deck/dome...  The AFT Terrace.. etc.

Secondly,  I do not see this entire area being just for suites....  That would be a huge square-footage to passenger ratio?

As mentioned...  if they increase the rate for the Sanctuary...  it does generate revenue.

Confused GIFs - Get the best gif on GIFER

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

So I am seeing some information posted on that site that shall not be named from someone who is currently on the Sun that conflicts a bit with info posted here before.

While they do confirm the fee for the Sanctuary is $99pp for non-suite guests, they said cabanas are $400 not $500. They also said that currently only suite guests are being allowed in the Sanctuary and it will not open up for paying guests until June. Not sure why. Maybe they want to test usage/capacity with just suite guests first? If it was constantly full then would that mean they might nix access for paying guests altogether?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WonderMan3 said:

So I am seeing some information posted on that site that shall not be named from someone who is currently on the Sun that conflicts a bit with info posted here before.

While they do confirm the fee for the Sanctuary is $99pp for non-suite guests, they said cabanas are $400 not $500. They also said that currently only suite guests are being allowed in the Sanctuary and it will not open up for paying guests until June. Not sure why. Maybe they want to test usage/capacity with just suite guests first? If it was constantly full then would that mean they might nix access for paying guests altogether?

Ok who’s keep track of all suite benefits… update the list. 

3 hours ago, WonderMan3 said:

From photos & videos there are few using that area on this first cruise- weather- cooler, windy & port.

wait for a few more sailings before believing this.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I wish we know what to believe....

I do not believe that they are currently charging anyone for this area.

And, yes, it has been chilly.

I do hope/wish that they have seen the total FAIL and do plan on updating the Sanctuary area....

At the very least... padded loungers, and fewer loungers...  ( and how about more shade )

Could it really take until June to make this happen????

Could we be getting information that is not accurate,  or even WAY off???

We shall see.

Edited by Wishing on a star
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, WonderMan3 said:

Who knows what the complete story is?  Perhaps someone realized there would be an uprising if folks paid $99 and got the same loungers as on open decks and were crowded in.  Perhaps they are missing loungers?????

Posted (edited)

As one of those “sanctuary runners” I was originally excited to hear they had expanded the Sanctuary and added more beds ….  However, the non suite side is looking less and less like a Sanctuary and $99pp/pd x 2 is way out of our budget ( on a 7 day cruise we were happy to pay $30pp/pd for 6 days and have spent so many wonderful days relaxing up there!!   We have the signature suite booked for our sailing on the Sun in December and booked it so we didn’t have to make the usual run up the stairs.   It will be interesting to see what happens over the summer and if padded chairs arrive and they put less chairs there.  Maybe they are testing the waters so to speak.   

Edited by Cruisingawayfromthesnow!

1 hour ago, Cruisingawayfromthesnow! said:

As one of those “sanctuary runners” I was originally excited to hear they had expanded the Sanctuary and added more beds ….  However, the non suite side is looking less and less like a Sanctuary and $99pp/pd x 2 is way out of our budget ( on a 7 day cruise we were happy to pay $30pp/pd for 6 days and have spent so many wonderful days relaxing up there!!   We have the signature suite booked for our sailing on the Sun in December and booked it so we didn’t have to make the usual run up the stairs.   It will be interesting to see what happens over the summer and if padded chairs arrive and they put less chairs there.  Maybe they are testing the waters so to speak.   

I also booked a Signature Suite on a Med cruise this summer.  However, from watching the videos it is clear there are not enough loungers in the suite section to accommodate 80 suites.  It will be interesting to see how this works.  Always booked the Sanctuary for the full cruise and loved knowing that the same lounger would be there every day.  I really expected the Sanctuary on the Sun to be spectacular, but it looks rather stark.  Not the same atmosphere as on other ships in the Princess line.  Guess we will find out in a few months how it all works.   Enjoy your cruise in December!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Fortunate 2 travel said:

I also booked a Signature Suite on a Med cruise this summer.  However, from watching the videos it is clear there are not enough loungers in the suite section to accommodate 80 suites.  It will be interesting to see how this works.  Always booked the Sanctuary for the full cruise and loved knowing that the same lounger would be there every day.  I really expected the Sanctuary on the Sun to be spectacular, but it looks rather stark.  Not the same atmosphere as on other ships in the Princess line.  Guess we will find out in a few months how it all works.   Enjoy your cruise in December!

Agree with all of the concerns/ comments. The only way this works is for Sanctuary to be for suites only -otherwise both sides are 'shortchanged'. Even if they guaranteed location in one of the 'standard' pool loungers this is a diminished experience from Sanctuary on their other ships and who would pay 200 a day for this?.

Also share concern that 'suite only' area is too small and apparently no shade options. Make the area all for suites and you have a reasonable area akin to Retreat on X with the large pool being a great benefit.

As one who booked Signature on Sun and is excited about this entry into dedicated suite territory for Princess, my candid fear is that this 'initial' Signature Sanctuary experience turns into a crowded s show. Most likely will be cultivation of this seperate suite area experience (lounge, Sanctuary, Restaurant) which will allow a plan to explode pricing like NCL and X have done with their suite areas. Of course I have complete confidence in the enlightened management of Princess :classic_blink: so sure there is a consumer friendly plan being developed. Sorry to be so cynical and earnestly hope we can all enjoy our cruises.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 3/6/2024 at 11:27 AM, WonderMan3 said:

While they do confirm the fee for the Sanctuary is $99pp for non-suite guests, they said cabanas are $400 not $500

Someone posted a crew chat response that states it's $99 pp for sea days, $79 pp on port days. and they offer private cabanas for $499 for up to 4 people. 

6 hours ago, dides said:

Someone posted a crew chat response that states it's $99 pp for sea days, $79 pp on port days. and they offer private cabanas for $499 for up to 4 people. 

A $400 persists a bit for the cabanas (as opposed to $500).  It maybe just one source.  But another poster (sorry forget which one, or I would credit), suggested there may be a price break on the cabanas as well on port days.  So, it might be $400 port days and $500 sea days?  Anything on that in your info stream?

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like all the lounger chairs are in the sun and only the cabanas have shade. Is that right? I'm pretty sure I wouldn't go if I was in direct sun the whole time. Most of the Sanctuary's have some shade with those sail things above. 

• Like 1

Been watching lots of Sun Princess video tours. Noticed that on the Sea View Terrace (so the open area in front of The Dome), the loungers there are padded. Seems strange to me that they would be in this open free area but not be in The Sanctuary. So, I wonder if perhaps those will come in later and just didn’t ma the inaugural sailings in time?

We were on the Sun Princess last week and spent 3 days in the Sanctuary. It was our favorite place on the ship! Marc was the manager and his team delivered the best service and were a highlight of

the trip. The cost for non- suite guests was 99 per person for sea days and 79

per person for port days. most of the chairs are Padded and there are two

locations other than the cabanas for shade. The food and drinks were great and it was seldom very crowded. Suite guests have an area dedicated to them at the very aft of the sanctuary. Most all sanctuary staff were hand picked from other ships. Everyone went out of their way to deliver a true first class and memorable experience to all of

the guests. Just wanted to share our experience in case it is helpful. 😊

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

8 minutes ago, andreakul said:

The cost for non- suite guests was 99 per person for sea days and 79

We are "Sanctuary Aficionados" but at those prices we will skip the Sanctuary on the Sun Princess!  We do not sail on the Sun until October of 2025, maybe prices will be adjusted to a more reasonable number by then?  🤷‍♂️ 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, andreakul said:

We were on the Sun Princess last week and spent 3 days in the Sanctuary. It was our favorite place on the ship! Marc was the manager and his team delivered the best service and were a highlight of

locations other than the cabanas for shade. The food and drinks were great and it was seldom very crowded. Suite guests have an area dedicated to them at the very aft of the sanctuary. Most all sanctuary staff were hand picked from other ships. Everyone went out of their way to deliver a true first class and memorable experience to all of

Thanks for the post. So it’s confirmed that Suite passengers get access to all of the Sanctuary for free, not just the Suite section in the back?

50 minutes ago, andreakul said:

I'm happy to hear you enjoyed it so much as it's uaully our favorite place on the ship also.

Were you staying in a suite? It's not clear from your post.

If so, then did you sit in the suite area or the regular area?

Here’s a good video overview of The Sanctuary that I came across today. Seems to confirm Signature Suites get full access to the entire Sanctuary, not just to the Signature Sun deck.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, steilkurve said:

Here’s a good video overview of The Sanctuary that I came across today. Seems to confirm Signature Suites get full access to the entire Sanctuary, not just to the Signature Sun deck.

Also confirms no shade.  Just imagine the Mediterranean in the summer.

Posted (edited)

Tbh, Princess went over the top with this by far.

And they stole the once open to everyone 18+ Retreat Pool (known as Lotus Spa Pool on older ships) now to paid guests only.

Edited by EDVM96
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, EDVM96 said:

Tbh, Princess went over the top with this by far.

And they stole the once open to everyone 18+ Retreat Pool (known as Lotus Spa Pool on older ships) now to paid guests only.

We used to like Sanctuary on Grand Class when you could walk down to Lotus Spa Pool. Always thought that was the best of all worlds.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Fortunate 2 travel said:

Also confirms no shade.  Just imagine the Mediterranean in the summer.

Well guessing Princess will adapt to some concerns. First as surmised  by some posters (including me)I think they may do away with pay as you go Sanctuary or make it more limited access except for suites. Being at  back of ship (less windy) is likely a positive and the larger dedicated pool is a huge bene. They can change chairs, add umbrellas, maybe cover up some areas as needed. On the X Retreat there was some issue finding shade- very windy in front of ship on most days and the pool is 1/2 size of Sanctuary.  So in short I think they have the making of a nice area depending how they elect to manage it.

• Like 1