What is there to do on River Cruises after dinner?

Thanks to everyone that answered about dinner, definitely helps.

Unfortunately we're one of those awkward couples, where we've both coeliac (gluten free) and I'm also vegetarian. We tend to like tables for 2 if possible - not because we don't want to speak to people, but just because it can feel a bit awkward having to talk about dietary restrictions when ordering food etc (I'm a lot more bothered about this than my husband is to be fair).

I know there is some kind of meeting on the first day for those with special dietary requirements, so will be making sure we attend that and find out what we need to do about food (on ocean cruises it's a pre-order the night before).

Not to sure about other lines but with Scenic no problem you should advise them before boarding and there are facilities for you to do this, the restaurant manager will seek you out to discuss your requirements and it’s dealt with. So no reason to discuss on your table although there are many of us who would be interested in the challenges and I suspect there are many. Luckily so far I only have one and that’s with the Merlot grape so imagine my consternation when I realised the challenges this gave me on our Bordeaux cruise with the wonderful help of our lovely wine waiter we sorted it. He discovered something  and I happily discovered some absolutely superb wines.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, screwsmcernst said:

Thanks, everyone.  We will be doing the Christmas markets cruise.  Will we be able to go to the markets in the evening?  Or will it be available in the daytime, or both?  

All of the answers you gave are exactly what I was thinking.  The friends we are going with are asking these questions, and I wanted to make sure I had the correct answers.  

Have not sailed with Ama Waterways, but on Viking there were three nights where we stayed in port late enough to return to the Christmas markets in the evening.  Most lines follow similar patterns so you might find the same.

Have you tried searching on the Roll Call board?  If you can find a roll call from a previous year, you might find some details.

2 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

I also have a theory... about arriving a bit late.  Sometimes there are those you eat with for one or two meals that want to mix it up and sit with a different group.  If they come right on time and the folks they sat with at lunch have open seats it is more difficult to walk past and sit with others.  

I noticed this of a few couples that were on our last river cruise.  It seemed to be their strategy to sit with different people each night.

As a single, I have frequently moved around from one table to another. I don't feel that once you have dined with some people a few times that that means that you have to sit with them all the time. Open dining means the opportunity to dine with anyone you wish.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Given that there are three meals a day there are lots of opportunities to eat with different people. Sometimes you meet such real kindred spirits that you end up spending lots of time and meals with them. At other times (mercifully fewer!) you find that your table mates for a meal are absolutely not great company and you end up swerving them. Humans eh! 

15 hours ago, screwsmcernst said:

Thanks, everyone.  We will be doing the Christmas markets cruise.  Will we be able to go to the markets in the evening?  Or will it be available in the daytime, or both?  

All of the answers you gave are exactly what I was thinking.  The friends we are going with are asking these questions, and I wanted to make sure I had the correct answers.  

It would depend on the cruising schedule. Most sailings are done at night during the spring / summer & fall, however the Christmas Market cruises may be a bit different because the markets come alive at night. You may have some nights where you stay in port later, and if you do, then yes, you can go to the markets at night. Just make sure to keep an eye on the time, as you won't wish to take a taxi to meet the ship at the next port. 

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Ladyshopper23 said:

Unfortunately we're one of those awkward couples, where we've both coeliac (gluten free) and I'm also vegetarian.

Viking have a vegetarian dish on each of the three courses at  lunch & dinner, marked with a leaf symbol and gluten free dishes are also marked. (Breakfast is a self serve buffet so you have your choice).

Edited by pontac
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Ladyshopper23 said:

Unfortunately we're one of those awkward couples, where we've both coeliac (gluten free) and I'm also vegetarian. We tend to like tables for 2 if possible - not because we don't want to speak to people, but just because it can feel a bit awkward having to talk about dietary restrictions when ordering food etc (I'm a lot more bothered about this than my husband is to be fair).

I know there is some kind of meeting on the first day for those with special dietary requirements, so will be making sure we attend that and find out what we need to do about food (on ocean cruises it's a pre-order the night before).

@Ladyshopper23, there will be some set up (usually a meeting with the chef prior to the first meal and you will see on the app that all meals are put up daily. There is a good selection of vegetarian meals, and coping with celiac is no problem. I am not celiac, however my sister & Mother both are, so I understand the importance of no cross-contamination. We met someone on our last cruise who was celiac, and they were great with her. She even said that the croissants tasted very close to the real thing! I would suggest trying to get the same server for your meals, so they will remember your requirements.  There are some tables that are 2 seaters, usually in the middle section of the dining room,  attached photo will give you an idea, but I would try to get down closer to 7:00 than 7:30 so you would be able to get one. image.thumb.png.64fcbbcceda64d941093632506c9f2ec.png

Here is a menu from our Danube cruise to give you an idea of the vegetarian meals. Of course, you will have to make adjustments for GF, but it will give you an idea. 

image.thumb.png.bf4f8ea4a5b78aeb08dce9190103f699.png

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Ladyshopper23 said:

I can understand that.  I know Avalon has the pre cruise meeting with people that have dietary restrictions.  I don't eat pork or seafood so I'm thankful for that.  This will be my first trip since changing to my foods due to religious reasons, and I find it a bit awkward as well.

• Like 1

Ladyshopper23 "Thanks to everyone that answered about dinner, definitely helps.

Unfortunately we're one of those awkward couples, where we've both coeliac (gluten free) and I'm also vegetarian. We tend to like tables for 2 if possible - not because we don't want to speak to people, but just because it can feel a bit awkward having to talk about dietary restrictions when ordering food etc (I'm a lot more bothered about this than my husband is to be fair)."

Gluten free is no problem on Uniworld and I am a foodie! Because a lot of travel agents recommend river cruises for Coeliac passengers, we have randomly been seated with other GF passengers. I am gf (not my husband), I am taking my 10th Uniworld cruise in May.

I hope this helps.

Secondseating

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Ladyshopper23 said:

I know there is a meeting on the first day for those with special dietary requirements, so I will be making sure we attend that and find out what we need to do about food (on ocean cruises it's a pre-order the night before).

I also have celiac disease plus, I also can not eat oats.  That is why we decided to take the river cruise to experience the Christmas markets.  If we did a land-based trip, it would be very difficult to eat in the smaller towns. 

I am really glad to hear that I will meet with the chef before sailing.  

• Like 1

Please your all not awkward, strange or picky it’s just the cards you’ve been dealt and I for one am happy I haven’t got the same hand but for the grace of whatever deity you may follow etc. Think how lucky we all are that the conditions have to live with have been realised and across most of the civilised (mentally underlined) world, recognised and been made able to be coped with. Have wonderful trips and superb food.

• Like 1

On 2/29/2024 at 9:50 PM, screwsmcernst said:

We are planning our 1st river cruise on Ama Waterways.  What is there to do in the evenings?  Will we need to make our own fun?

Which itinerary? Some itineraries you can walk around town a bit if you wish on some stops. 

• Like 1