Disembarking at Rotterdam 7:00 am, 11:00am flight from Schiphol?

Mark_K

I know it’s not ideal, but it’s about my only option that doesn’t require an overnight layover.  Not in a suite on the ship, but will be flying business, so that might help at the airport.

Is it doable at all or am I just dreaming? People who’ve been there/done that, what say ye?

We are sailing in July out of Amsterdam disembarking in Rotterdam (first time). We decided to make our way leisurely to Amsterdam and stay one more night before our nonstop to Chicago the next day. We felt like we would be cutting it too close on disembarkation day to make our 11:00 a.m. flight. I can’t carry off my luggage as my husband is disabled. Sounded too stressful to me. I’ll be curious to hear other’s experiences. 

39 minutes ago, Mark_K said:

I know it’s not ideal, but it’s about my only option that doesn’t require an overnight layover.  Not in a suite on the ship, but will be flying business, so that might help at the airport.

Is it doable at all or am I just dreaming? People who’ve been there/done that, what say ye?

I have not done so following a cruise but I have made my way via taxi to the airport from downtown, traffic was moderate, or so he told me, but the airport was a total madhouse.  Took me over one hour to get through security.  Whether that was the norm or not, I do not know, but that was my experience.  

We have flown from Schiphol post cruise with an early afternoon flight to UK and security lines were huge and the security staff were not rushing at all🤨, we made it through with little time to spare, gave ourselves 3 hours thinking it would be plenty of time but it was very stressful.

• Thanks 1

Have flown out of Schipol several times asfamily lives nearby.  On a Sunday because of less traffic an 11am flight is possible.  On weekdays unless you take the subway not likely.

My rule is that if I need to ask if a flight is too early then it is.

Also be aware you might not dock downtown.   Holland moving many cruise ships to about 20km north of the city.  This adds another hour to travel time during the week.

Would rather do a 12:30 or later flight or the next day and not stress.

• Like 1

You should be able to check in for your flight the day before.  Three days before your flight you can book a time slot to go through security at Schiphol airport,  I have downloaded the airports app and will book a security time through the app.

We have a ships transfer Rotterdam to Schiphol for our May cruise that will get us to the airport three hours before our flight.  If you book a private transfer and can disembark quickly your time may be tight but doable.

Last year we did the Rotterdam to AMS Airport.      11:00 is possible if nothing is held up like disembarking and Airport check in and security.    Since we were in suites we disembarked at 7:15 and were at the airport at our gate by 9:00 

From the Rotterdam Pier -  You can easily grab an Uber or just walk down the pier to the Subway Station and Grab a Subway or Tram to CS.      From Central Station Trains run about every 15 minutes and all stop at Scholarship.   Total time for Subway and Train about 1 hour. 

They usually begin walkoff around 7:00 and general disembarkation begins about 7:15.     Last Call usually 9:00 AM.    If you don't have priority you may have to ask for an early disembarkation tag.

• Like 1

It is doable only if all the stars are aligned in your favor that day.  Usually what can and does go wrong is a delayed disembarkation due to customs, traffic, and most common is long security lines.  There's usually no priority security lines even for business class.  Schiphol has been suffering from overcrowding and long delays for a couple of years.  Add in the regular labor union strikes and it's gridlock.  Don't add the stress and stay overnight.

• Like 1

I live in AMS and fly a lot through Amsterdam Schiphol Airport. In 2022 queues and crowds were horrible at the airport, but since summer 2023 Schiphol has invested in more staff and now lines are rarely over 20 minutes wait.

All security checkpoints acutally do have fast tracks for Business Class and elite status. And at AMS checking in 2 hours before the flight is more than enough for transatlantic.

If you are disembarking on weekday, and taking a taxi, you will end up in the middle of rush hour between Rotterdam-The Hague-Amsterdam. So this might be stressful. 

With a cab or even public transport you can ben at Rotterdam Central railway station within 30 minutes. From there, every 15 minutes a train departs to Schiphol Airport. The fast (more expensive) train, takes about 30 minutes. The stoptrain, literally stopping at all stations, will take about 60 minutes. 

If you do self disembarking it should be possible. All in all, your schedule is doable, but there is not a lot of room for error.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, GVM said:

If you are disembarking on weekday, and taking a taxi, you will end up in the middle of rush hour between Rotterdam

What about a Celebrity transfer from Rotterdam to AMS?  Is this a viable option?

3 x travelling via Schiphol, each time security was mega busy, even when in business. 

I honestly think that if you book this flight you will worry about it even if on the day the stars are aligned and it works. Nor would I go for an overnight layover…

If I was you I would book an overnight hotel and then fly as early as you like the next day. 

• Like 1

Celebrity has a Amsterdam Airport Transfer in the cruise planner, starts at 7AM with a duration of 1hr, in the description X says for flights departing after 11:30 AM, cost $34.99

We have this same issue with our sailing in June. We decided to stay in Amsterdam for the night and fly home the following day. Not sure we would be able to make our 11 am departure and don’t want to worry about it on our cruise. Good luck with whatever you decide!

We've flown out of Schiphol many times, and in fact will do so again in May for a British Isles cruise which also ends in Rotterdam. Our departing flight is at 11:30 am, so we're spending the night at the Airport Sheriton. As many have mentioned, the traffic from Rotterdam to Schiphol, and airport security can be a real zoo. It's not worth the stress to us. 

• Like 1

On 3/2/2024 at 6:44 PM, GVM said:

With a cab or even public transport you can ben at Rotterdam Central railway station within 30 minutes. From there, every 15 minutes a train departs to Schiphol Airport. The fast (more expensive) train, takes about 30 minutes. The stoptrain, literally stopping at all stations, will take about 60 minutes. 

Thank you for this suggestion and all the others- our flight is at 12 and we were going to Uber to Schiphol but after reading this thread I'm thinking that taking the train from Rotterdam would be best to avoid being stuck in traffic.

On 3/3/2024 at 5:44 PM, dani negreanu said:

Long lines as well as for border control if you don't hold and EU passport. Awful airport.

This is partly true for immigration yes, but mainly for arriving non-EU pax. Departing non-EU pax will not have lines longer than 20 minutes. And again; yes, the last two years, AMS was horrible, but after summer 2023 things really really improved!

• Thanks 3

12 hours ago, cruisegirlppp said:

Thank you for this suggestion and all the others- our flight is at 12 and we were going to Uber to Schiphol but after reading this thread I'm thinking that taking the train from Rotterdam would be best to avoid being stuck in traffic.

Both are fine options. Your departure time is one hour later than the topic starter, so that widens your 'room for error' :).

Traffic jams generally clear in NL after 0930hrs. Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays are heavy traffic days. Wednesdays, Fridays and Weekends are pretty fine with almost no traffic jams in the morning. If you also walk off yourself at 0700hrs and you pre-order a taxi, your 1200hrs departure from AMS (even intercontinental) will really be fine. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GVM said:

but mainly for arriving non-EU pax. Departing non-EU pax will not have lines longer than 20 minutes.

I'm holding an EU and an Israeli passport. Since DH holds only the Israeli one, I'm standing in line with him out of "solidarity".

We travel business and have a son studying at Utrecht, so have no choice but to visit if we want to see the grandkids.

Mid September 2023 the entry waiting time was 50 mins!! Only 2 stations were manned. In mid January 2024 it was only 20 minutes late in the evening.

What I can't understand are the very long lines to exit NL ??

I really wish I could find a way to bypass AMS, but due to the war, we have no other option....

5 hours ago, GVM said:

Traffic jams generally clear in NL after 0930hrs. Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays are heavy traffic days. Wednesdays, Fridays and Weekends are pretty fine with almost no traffic jams in the morning. If you also walk off yourself at 0700hrs and you pre-order a taxi, your 1200hrs departure from AMS (even intercontinental) will really be fine

Thank you for this. Do you think walk off/ taxi is better than Celebrity transfer?

I have an Air Canada flight to Canada, 12:15pm departure, on a Wednesday mid July.  Trying to determine what to do.

Thank you to the OP for starting this discussion and to all the answers so far.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Shadow9612 said:

Thank you for this. Do you think walk off/ taxi is better than Celebrity transfer?

I have an Air Canada flight to Canada, 12:15pm departure, on a Wednesday mid July.  Trying to determine what to do.

Thank you to the OP for starting this discussion and to all the answers so far.

A pre-ordered taxi is always faster than the Celebrity bus, but more expensive. I am more than confident that even with the Celebrity transfer you are able to make your flight. 

• Thanks 1