BEWARE!!!!!! Beyond Creaking

19 hours ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Wow.

Have you actually sailed with her? I have on Edge and found her very open and receptive to passengers. Not as elitist as you imply that she is.

Oh yes I have and I was joking you know

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SI Cruiser said:

Someone should ask the infamous Capt. Kate what the issue is with Beyond and Ascent as she is not afraid to speak her mind.  Celebrity refuses to address the issue publicly as they go from cruise to cruise with maintenance just stuffing foam in-between the shifting wall and ceiling panels.   It is an engineering problem that has to be rectified otherwise Xcel will have the same issues. 

I suppose even she is allowed to only say so much. I bet she has asked her husband who is an engineer.

perhaps the problem is the way the room units were built before assembly.

I will be on Beyond in Nov up front forward facing

Posted (edited)

We sailed the Beyond last April & again in December.

Sky Suite in April (don't remember room number...midship, port--not Magic Carpet side)

Outside in December (deck 3 midship)

We did not notice particularly  any more creaking than any other ship.

YMMV.

Edited by KKB

17 minutes ago, Stem to Stern said:

Is the noise happening in any aft-facing Sunset Verandahs?

We have sailed 5 times on the Edge, all in AFT facing cabins. Never had a problem with noise.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, helen haywood said:

For whatever reason, Beyond seems to have more cabin noise issues than Edge.

What about Apex and Ascent?

Going strictly by threads on CC, Beyond gets the most mentions re noise.  Don’t know if that really means the other E Class ships have less of a problem…or it’s just not reported as much.  Beyond is larger and carries more passengers than Edge or Apex.  Was something changed in the design of the larger ship?  I don’t know.

1 hour ago, Texed said:

I believe the only ships that there has been reported "excessive" noise is Beyond and Ascent.

Beyond by far.  I have sailed both and many complaints onboard about the Beyond's noise in the cabins.  And the seas were calm on the cruises.  

5 hours ago, Stem to Stern said:

Is the noise happening in any aft-facing Sunset Verandahs?

There are You Tube videos on  Sunset Verandahs, no problems of noise reported

Loud banging is real as I posted last fall. I believe it happens in seas only greater than 15 feet and from the side and probably higher decks. Those of you that minimize this issue and do not fit above situation have no idea what you are talking about. The beyond suddenly was removed from Europe and was to stay in the Caribbean where I believe the reason was calmer seas. The financial impact of the noise is why they will not discuss it.

When those of us say banging, we are not talking about a tap on a wall

More like a sledge hammer to a steel plate!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Past sailing on Edge SV 11273:

This has been a much-discussed topic. As I wrote on a previous thread about Edge Class noisy/creaking cabins, our experience was truly awful. "Sledgehammers in the ceiling" for almost the entire Transatlantic, including sail days in the Med. Lots of shims wedged into the wall, so of course, we weren't the first guests to call maintenance! 

And after 50 cruises or so ... we understand normal ship noises. Not being able to sleep night after night is not normal.

Since we like aft cabins (and noise issues are also reported in many other stateroom areas), we will avoid any future Edge Class ships. Not worth the risk of an unpleasant sailing. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, AC Stew said:

Edge SV 11273

2 hours ago, AC Stew said:

our experience was truly awful. "Sledgehammers in the ceiling" for almost the entire Transatlantic, including sail days in the Med. Lots of shims wedged into the wall, so of course, we weren't the first guests to call maintenance! 

Yikes!  This is the first unfavorable report I have read from an SV.  Hopefully all those shims and calmer Caribbean seas keep matters quieter on our upcoming Beyond sailing.

Posted (edited)
On 3/3/2024 at 9:42 AM, beachhouse said:

I am on Celebrity Beyond now. The rumors of creaking and popping and sounds like the cabin is falling apart are a TRUE: I read the reviews before booking this ship and ignored all the people complaining about the noises.

there are other cruisers experiencing this also and the deck level doesn't seem to matter.

it is so bad there is NO SLEEP to be had on this ship. I have been on 15+ cruises and realize this is a ship but no other ship has been like this.  I will NEVER sail on this ship again. Celebrity has had 1-2 years to correct this problem and have ignored it.

We were on the Apex and suffered a similar fate. What we ultimately found after a couple of window malfunctions is that the creaking was coming from the infinite veranda. The doors were slightly off the rails and the "balcony door" were likewise a bit out of whack.(one door actually fell off the track into my husbands hands) Once maintenance fixed those issues we had quiet sailing the balance of the trip

My opinion was that the windows/infinite verandas seemed like a good idea but they have bugs that I don't think the ship designers really thought through and as the ships age the noises will become more regular. 

Edited by mtnlvr53
add info
  • Like 1

On 3/5/2024 at 4:10 PM, mtnlvr53 said:

We were on the Apex and suffered a similar fate. What we ultimately found after a couple of window malfunctions is that the creaking was coming from the infinite veranda. The doors were slightly off the rails and the "balcony door" were likewise a bit out of whack.(one door actually fell off the track into my husbands hands) Once maintenance fixed those issues we had quiet sailing the balance of the trip

My opinion was that the windows/infinite verandas seemed like a good idea but they have bugs that I don't think the ship designers really thought through and as the ships age the noises will become more regular. 

Yikes, on a new ship?! Glad you were able to get it resolved.

SV cabins have regular balconies, so "infinite window" issues apply to a different subset of staterooms. Clearly, there are problems across the board with Edge Class. In our case, along with the sledgehammer reference, we also would have sworn that there were bowling balls rolling around in the ceiling!

One more E Class cruise for us on  APEX next year....Sunset Veranda..deck 10 middle.

Hope for the best and then no more E Class!

13 minutes ago, helen haywood said:

Oh dear.  Sailing Beyond in SV 11293 soon.  I had hoped the Sunset Verandas were not experiencing the banging noise issues.

Helen, you are on a different ship than we were. The noise complaints are "consistently inconsistent!" It's true that there are many noise complaints about Edge Class (certainly far more than any other Celebrity ship class). But it seems that it's all quite arbitrary. Some folks have serious issues ... others, none at all. You just never know. I will tell you that friends on the same sailing in a deck 10 SV experienced noise annoyance, but not to the same degree as ours.

Good luck to you!

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, helen haywood said:

Ear plugs, white noise app…and Premium Beverage Package!  

As an added precaution I have also added Melatonin to the packing list.  Benadryl just might not cut it if the bowling balls and sledgehammers are too loud.

🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 1

The noise issue caused us great stress!

We complained and they responded in a timely manner. They removed a number

or ceiling tiles and that seemed to work. It was am 11 day cruise and the first two nights

were brutal. After the maintenance  staff did their thing we had seven days with no issues,

The noise issue returned on the last two nights .

The noise seemed to be related to the sea swells. The room number was 8214 and it was

a magic carpet sky suite.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cannuck1 said:

The noise issue caused us great stress!

We complained and they responded in a timely manner. They removed a number

or ceiling tiles and that seemed to work. It was am 11 day cruise and the first two nights

were brutal. After the maintenance  staff did their thing we had seven days with no issues,

The noise issue returned on the last two nights .

The noise seemed to be related to the sea swells. The room number was 8214 and it was

a magic carpet sky suite.

I had wondered about the magic carpet sky suite. We almost booked there but my husband didn't like the idea that the "carpet" would be going by our room.

We had our problem with an Aqua Suite room on the 9th floor aft. I had trouble sleeping too because it was just so constant but they did get it fixed. 

My original post said the problem started with the doors, which was also true but we had our window get stuck open twice-once when they took control and were cleaning. We got a bit of a shower in that one. It was kind of funny but sad, considering it is a relatively new ship. Ours was a B2B Mediterranean/transatlantic. It would have been horrible if it had continued the whole way. Turns out the window was slightly off the track and it was kind of a major issue to get it back on track.  Having Aqua class came in handy because we just took off for the Spa and camped out there until it was done.