BEWARE!!!!!! Beyond Creaking

Posted (edited)

I agree that it seems to be exacerbated by wind & sea conditions and speed of the ship.

We were in an midship concierge IV (I think deck 10 or 11) on Beyond in Jan 2023.  Very calm seas for the first 6 days, Captain Kate was cruising nice & easy - no banging.  On the last night, she was trying to outrun some bad weather on the way back - the ship was travelling at a higher rate of speed, there was a stiff wind and the seas were rolling more than they had.  That last night sounded like someone was outside our cabin, repeatedly banging a sledgehammer against the wall.  If I had to listen to that for the entire cruise, I would not be happy.

It's great that there are some who brush off the banging and are fine with having to sleep with all kinds of noise-altering gear, sleeping meds and white noise contraptions (maybe their cruise was free?) but for those who spend a hard-earned dollar and take precious vacation time, I don't think it's too much to ask not to have sledgehammer banging in one's cabin.  I loved everything about my Beyond cruise (save for the last night), but unless I could 100% vet that a particular cabin did not have noise in various types of weather conditions, I will not be back on Beyond until they solve that issue.

Edited by momofmab
  • Like 7

UPDATE ON NOISE ISSUE!!!!

after 3 nights of zero sleep, which affected our trip and fatigue due to lack of sleep, we had maintenance come and check it out and they  tore out the sliding door facings and did some things behind the facing. Happy to say it fixed the problem, but we have had smooth sailing conditions so far. When the winds pick up we will see if it is totally fixed. Will give another update later as well as our cabin #

On 3/3/2024 at 12:47 PM, leaveitallbehind said:

As has been suggested by another poster, talking with guest services and the maintenance department to see if they are able to correct the problem or find a reasonable solution for you may be good. If they are not able they may issue an FCC for your troubles.  

We had a similar issue with a stateroom a few years back during the post pandemic ramp up and they were able to address the problem as, in our case, it was related to the balcony door. However, as the ship was not full, they offered to move us to a different stateroom if it could not be corrected.

i see where you posted that guest services has visited your stateroom.  Hopefully they can help as IMO calmly discussing this with them is the right option.  Venting here, while perhaps a stress relief, will bring no resolution to your on board issue. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, beachhouse said:

UPDATE ON NOISE ISSUE!!!!

after 3 nights of zero sleep, which affected our trip and fatigue due to lack of sleep, we had maintenance come and check it out and they  tore out the sliding door facings and did some things behind the facing. Happy to say it fixed the problem, but we have had smooth sailing conditions so far. When the winds pick up we will see if it is totally fixed. Will give another update later as well as our cabin #

Sounds very similar to our issue a few years back as mentioned.  Very glad this was taken care of and will hopefully remain so for the rest of your cruise. JMO but given the issue and how long you had to deal with it, guest services may issue some amount OBC or an FCC as as gesture - who knows.  Either way I hope the issue is resolved!

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1

Did the transatlantic on the Beyond in October and I have never been awake for more hours in a row.  I made the mistake of booking a cabin under the Oceanview --- way at the back I thought I would be safe (and from pictures thought we were more cantilevered out - my error).  But the noise was not the kitchen or the diners .. the cabin was just creaking the whole time.  We asked to be moved but only got a cabin on the opposite side that was a little farther forward (now under the stools on the port side -- not an improvement).  We just sucked it up and napped a lot.  But I sent a video of the noise home to a fellow cruiser who had been on the Beyond and he was shocked. Popping, creaking, banging.  This is a problem in some cabins, some areas.  They have tried to play with the framing around the balcony doors and in the ceiling when people call for support but in the end, there is just a lot of noise on some cabins (and in the hallways).  I would recommend staying away from any Concierge cabin on 12 in the aft.  I'd also think the "middle, middle' rule might apply -- middle of the ship, middle level.  But I have only been on the one cruise with Beyond.  Could just be completely random (although everyone we spoke to near us on 12 were experiencing noise).

• Thanks 1

Our friends had an Oceanview Balcony (one of the few cabins that looks like an Oceanview but has a typical door going out to an alcove balcony) and they had zero noise.

I think it is the new style veranda windows and the doors that go with them, coupled with the ceiling tiles.  But I haven't heard about this issue on the Apex or Edge.

On 3/6/2024 at 4:33 PM, helen haywood said:

Oh dear.  Sailing Beyond in SV 11293 soon.  I had hoped the Sunset Verandas were not experiencing the banging noise issues.

I'm sailing on Beyond 1 April 2024 and I have 11298 sunset veranda. I saw a you tube video of cabin 11298 and it was very niece. The couple saying in that room really enjoyed it, they gave excellent comments. I think you will be okay.

• Thanks 1

On 3/7/2024 at 11:38 AM, Kittybay13 said:

Our friends had an Oceanview Balcony (one of the few cabins that looks like an Oceanview but has a typical door going out to an alcove balcony) and they had zero noise.

I think it is the new style veranda windows and the doors that go with them, coupled with the ceiling tiles.  But I haven't heard about this issue on the Apex or Edge.

I mentioned before: we had a problem on the Apex in an Aqua room. It was the infinite veranda doors/windows that was causing all the problems. 

On the Ascent, we heard this loud banging noise one night.  I figured it out myself.  It was a chair on the Infinite Veranda rubbing against the wall.  When the ship moved, it made the noise.  Easy fix for me.  However, on the Beyond, some  people said the sound was coming from the walls and ceilings.  

On 3/6/2024 at 8:07 PM, cannuck1 said:

The noise issue caused us great stress!

We complained and they responded in a timely manner. They removed a number

or ceiling tiles and that seemed to work. It was am 11 day cruise and the first two nights

were brutal. After the maintenance  staff did their thing we had seven days with no issues,

The noise issue returned on the last two nights .

The noise seemed to be related to the sea swells. The room number was 8214 and it was

a magic carpet sky suite.

We are on the 10 night leaving on March 22nd in Magic Carpet Suite 8210. We were on deck 10 a couple of years ago also in a MC and had horrendous noise when it the seas were rougher. Keeping our fingers crossed but we won't be surprised if it's the same.

Just off Beyond, Sunset Veranda 11293 (outermost SV port side, next to a suite, which which it shares a locked vestibule). First two nights out of Fort Lauderdale, the popping coming from the upper-left (when facing outward) corner of the window was intense, like a Florida office building popping as it heats up in the summer sun, only far more frequent. Seas were moderate (6-9 feet, I think) with winds in the mid-20s knot range. Popping went away after we got to calmer waters and wasn’t noticeable later, and I’m a light sleeper (though often used earplugs due to DH’s tendency to snore). I did see someone who appeared to be relocating on the first evening chic night (night 3) and overheard some “oh, your room creaks, too?” discussions in OVC. Out of 20 cruises and 11 or so ships I’ve sailed, I’ve never heard anything like it, even in rougher waters. But all the warnings on here put me in a wary mindspace, and in our room at least, it lightened up significantly after night 2.

• Thanks 2

For those that have been keeping up with my post "BEWARE"

we are off the ship and will now disclose what cabin we were in. Cabin 11219. Sky Suite

will Never sail that class of ship again! Too much $$ at stake and will not take another chance hoping Beyond gets their issues fixed.

they have had 2 1/2 years to overhaul this ship.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Posted (edited)

You think adding what I believe was 60 feet to the design changed anything?  It was added in the mid section of the ship...at least I think it was 60 feet.  

I checked, almost 70 feet.  

Length
  • 306 m (1,003 ft 11 in)[1]
  • 327 m (1,073 ft)[2]

Edge and Apex are sister ships, just as Beyond and Ascent are sister ships..All 4 are in the same Class of ships.  

Edited by PTC DAWG

I guess that could be the case . But if that were the case, they should be going in all the mid cabins and do some major repair work. Because they know there are issues. Why not block those cabins off and not sell them till the problem is resolved. It's the almighty $$ and disappointing in Celebrity.

• Like 1

Just got off Beyond (second time on Beyond)    I was in sunset veranda 11296 zero noise issues and parents were in infinite veranda 8209 with zero noise issues.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, beachhouse said:

I guess that could be the case . But if that were the case, they should be going in all the mid cabins and do some major repair work. Because they know there are issues. Why not block those cabins off and not sell them till the problem is resolved. It's the almighty $$ and disappointing in Celebrity.

Apparently not all of the cabins creak all the time.   I know my midship cabin recently on Ascent made zero noise...and we went through some pretty rough seas a night or two.  

22 hours ago, hcat said:

nowhere is safe, apparently!

we  have a SV booked on APEX!

just a loser lottery!

Just got off Apex and had an SV on Deck 9.  Not a peep for seven nights.

We were on the Apex recently in a CS on deck 11 and there was creaking in our cabin a couple of nights.  But the reason for the creaking is none of your damn business! 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, beachhouse said:

For those that have been keeping up with my post "BEWARE"

we are off the ship and will now disclose what cabin we were in. Cabin 11219. Sky Suite

will Never sail that class of ship again! Too much $$ at stake and will not take another chance hoping Beyond gets their issues fixed.

they have had 2 1/2 years to overhaul this ship.

Agree—-too much money to take a chance

• Like 1

On 3/3/2024 at 7:42 AM, beachhouse said:

I am on Celebrity Beyond now. The rumors of creaking and popping and sounds like the cabin is falling apart are a TRUE: I read the reviews before booking this ship and ignored all the people complaining about the noises.

there are other cruisers experiencing this also and the deck level doesn't seem to matter.

it is so bad there is NO SLEEP to be had on this ship. I have been on 15+ cruises and realize this is a ship but no other ship has been like this.  I will NEVER sail on this ship again. Celebrity has had 1-2 years to correct this problem and have ignored it.

My question is which will cause any ship to creak, which I love by the way, is what were the sea conditions.  That could make a new ship creak and groan.

• Like 1

On 3/12/2024 at 11:03 AM, Tyler414 said:

Just got off Beyond (second time on Beyond)    I was in sunset veranda 11296 zero noise issues and parents were in infinite veranda 8209 with zero noise issues.

Thank you for letting some of the people know not all of the cabins are making noise. I'm sailing in cabin 11298 on 1 April.

On a supposedly upscale  cruise line, you shouldn't need to "get lucky." You shouldn't need ear plugs or a white noise machine.  Something is horribly wrong to continue having these problems.  Thank god for the M class ships, keeping cruising simple fun and sleep worthy.

• Like 6

On 3/12/2024 at 6:05 PM, ScottC4746 said:

My question is which will cause any ship to creak, which I love by the way, is what were the sea conditions.  That could make a new ship creak and groan.

I think if you will listen to the video, you will hear that it is more than creaking and groaning.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1