How Will Labadee Hold Up?

I’m wondering whether Celebrity will continue using Labadee in light of the chaos in Haiti following the mass jail break and current violence in the country? I know that Labadee is protected bu security guards etc. but I guess there are rich pickings from cruisers and a cruise ship should the violence continue to grow.

Thoughts have to be with the poor law abiding citizens of Haiti and let’s hope that some kind of control and democracy can take hold in the not too distant future.

Generally, the violence has been far from Labadee to allow cruise ships to continue to visit safely although that always could change. 

I’m scheduled to visit Labadee next month on a RC ship so we shall see. I don’t see any Celebrity ships on the schedule until October, although RC has ships stopping there pretty regularly. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

The UK government has deemed Haiti and Haitian waters to be unsafe and advise against travel there. Many travel insurance  companies will not either cover you while in Haiti/ Haitian waters or not cover the trip at all as it includes Labadee/ Haiti.

I'm not sure if its the same for USA residence, but it may be worth checking your insurance policy.  

Edited by zeberdee
  • Thanks 1

We’re not there for ages yet, November which gives time for conditions to ease. Not too bothered about petty crime which is everywhere but would be concerned about the wanton violence and murders taking place in Haiti just now. I’m sure RC and Celebrity will be on top of developments.

2 minutes ago, Rustyman said:

We’re not there for ages yet, November which gives time for conditions to ease. Not too bothered about petty crime which is everywhere but would be concerned about the wanton violence and murders taking place in Haiti just now. I’m sure RC and Celebrity will be on top of developments.

this is a private guarded area of Haiti, no locals allowed unless staff

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, gold1953 said:

Very true and Labadee supports the local economy not only by a per passenger fee, but, also as you indicate, by providing local staff employees.  Anything can happen, but I am certain RCI is monitoring the situation. 

But as a side note, I know that RCI is seen favorably by Haiti as during the 2010 earthquake, RCI ships continuously delivered relief supplies when calling on Labadee.  Not only was this reported in the media, but I know this as I was on board one of the ships when many pallets of supplies were off loaded.  I don't think the government would want to see a disruption in the cruise line relationship.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1

Labadee is a fenced security area unless you choose to go on a shore excursion.   The area is very rural and far from the turmoil.

DW and I walked a short distance outside the razor wire into the village.  Were made very clear that we were not welcome by stares and remarks made by locals.  

Labadee could go away and be replaced by any number of other better port stops.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Very true and Labadee supports the local economy not only by a per passenger fee, but, also as you indicate, by providing local staff employees.  Anything can happen, but I am certain RCI is monitoring the situation. 

But as a side note, I know that RCI is seen favorably by Haiti as during the 2010 earthquake, RCI ships continuously delivered relief supplies when calling on Labadee.  Not only was this reported in the media, but I know this as I was on board one of the ships when many pallets of supplies were off loaded.  I don't think the government would want to see a disruption in the cruise line relationship.

RCG better be watching. Haiti essentially has no government. The gangs causing the mayhem do not care about making a cruise line happy. 130 miles away from Labadee, in the past 24 hours, 4,000 inmates escaped a prison. If they really wanted to get some attention, some razor wire and some guards who may work for the gangs aren't going to do a thing. RCG also has deep pockets and a growing number of behemoth ships that really can't go that many places so they will try to maintain it as long as possible. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

RCG better be watching. Haiti essentially has no government. The gangs causing the mayhem do not care about making a cruise line happy. 130 miles away from Labadee, in the past 24 hours, 4,000 inmates escaped a prison. If they really wanted to get some attention, some razor wire and some guards who may work for the gangs aren't going to do a thing. RCG also has deep pockets and a growing number of behemoth ships that really can't go that many places so they will try to maintain it as long as possible. 

I don't disagree that it is necessary to monitor and I am certain RCI is doing just that.  I was also only passing on anecdotal information indicating the strength of the relationship that at least at one time existed.

1 hour ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

RCG better be watching. Haiti essentially has no government. The gangs causing the mayhem do not care about making a cruise line happy. 130 miles away from Labadee,

Of course RCG is watching. I would guess that RCG has some kind of arrangement with the local crime bosses.  RCG will suspend operations if nessecary. They have suspended calls there in the past. 

• Like 1

RCI has invested a lot of money on Laberdee. I'm certain RCI is monitoring things intensely. It is a roll of the dice. One incident, even a small one and Laberdee could become a ghost town for a long time.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Labadee is a fenced security area unless you choose to go on a shore excursion.   The area is very rural and far from the turmoil.

DW and I walked a short distance outside the razor wire into the village.  Were made very clear that we were not welcome by stares and remarks made by locals.  

Labadee could go away and be replaced by any number of other better port stops.

So true.  I despised the stop in Labadee.  It was a replacement for Key West due to "weather".  Anyway, my sea pass card was deactivated while I was there, another member of my roll call had their credit card info stolen( he never used the card, it was on his person while on the "island").  The vendors were very aggressive.  Pregnant stray dogs were roaming around.  The food that was offloaded from the ship sat outside in the heat until it was moved to the restaurant area.  I would never chose an itinerary that had this as a stop. 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Been there many times, never felt unsafe.  Given that Haiti is one of the poorest countries in the world Royal's contribution to the local economy is a golden goose that locals need to protect at all cost.  One violent incident and it's all over.  Therefore expect locals will work to ensure a safe environment for cruise passengers by adding their own security measures and / or buying protection from local crime bosses. 

Edited by Baron Barracuda

19 minutes ago, Baron Barracuda said:

Been there many times, never felt unsafe.  Given that Haiti is one of the poorest countries in the world Royal's contribution to the local economy is a golden goose that locals need to protect at all cost.  One violent incident and it's all over.  Therefore expect locals will work to ensure a safe environment for cruise passengers by adding their own security measures and / or buying protection from local crime bosses. 

just like the Mexico resorts. LOL.  I wouldn't bet my safety on your theory.

• Like 6

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, calicakes said:

So true.  I despised the stop in Labadee.  It was a replacement for Key West due to "weather".  Anyway, my sea pass card was deactivated while I was there, another member of my roll call had their credit card info stolen( he never used the card, it was on his person while on the "island").  The vendors were very aggressive.  Pregnant stray dogs were roaming around.  The food that was offloaded from the ship sat outside in the heat until it was moved to the restaurant area.  I would never chose an itinerary that had this as a stop. 

Funny how folks view things differently…I never saw the vendor area, never looked for it either, had a very relaxing laid back beach day there on a Royal Cruise last May,,,drink package worked fine, hot dogs and burgers were set up under a pavilion…

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

39 minutes ago, calicakes said:

Been there many times and always had an enjoyable beach day. I definitely look forward to Labadee on Caribbean itineraries. But to each their own. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Nachosdelux said:

I wouldn't bet my safety on your theory.

No, but I would bet my safety on the decisions of the cruise line which would be passengers, crew, and ship safety before any risk at a port of call.  I am rather certain they would suspend that stop before ever putting anyone at risk.  They have done it in the past.  Keep in mind they also have employees there as well for whose welfare they also have a primary concern.

6 hours ago, gold1953 said:

so was the jail!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

We've been there many times.  Yes, the vendors can be pushy but have you been to Ocho Rios, Colon, and or Cartagena?  Those vendors are quite pushy as well.  We have never felt unsafe while in Labadee, including my hike into the jungle area beyond where 99% of the cruise passengers go. 

Just in case anyone wonders - those guards that work for RCG and patrol the perimeter border area of the Labadee compound are well armed.  

6 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

Of course RCG is watching. I would guess that RCG has some kind of arrangement with the local crime bosses. 

Labadee local crime bosses may not have a say much longer. The big national armed gang boss (an ex policeman) is trying to unit all the armed gangs into a single rebel force aiming to overflow the government and take over the entire country. 

It’s just a matter of when, not if, RCI cancels stops in Haiti.  Very sad situation, one of my employees has many family there, he says they are tired of living in fear.

Well, we were there —- about 30 years ago, on a RC cruise. What I was wondering is what is there? When we were there, it was just an undeveloped beach. So whatever is there now must have been added since then. And unless whatever is now there is fantastic, we’d treat it as a sea day. We are going on a cruise this month on another line that has a stop in Nassau, Bahamas. Travel warnings are out for that place also. Unless we take a ship’s excursion, we’ll treat that as a sea day.