This doesn't seem fair!!

5 minutes ago, calicakes said:

Well apparently I just accepted the default cruise cancellation coverage of 5k.  I would have had to raise it to 10 or 15k.  ( I'll do that next year when it renews). Honestly, I've never had to cancel a trip before.  My main concern when I chose insurance is getting hurt away from home or medical evacuation.   I also have a Geo Global policy.   I guess I was over insured that way, but under insured in Trip Cancellation.   Thankfully, Chase has a much better policy.  I did get an airline credit and refunds for all of Celebrity Excursions I booked as well as the private excursions.  I only received a partial refund from Airbnb. 

We buy an annual specifically for the medical evacuation.  So sorry for your circumstance.  As an aside, Elite is worth a bag of laundry and a few drinks, which mean nothing if you're on the package.  The points aren't what they used to be, IMO.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

If they issued points for booking then people who book multiple rooms or who pay for others would claim points

Exactly, then all the rooms that my parents had booked and paid for family, Parents would have been way over Zenith.  Its part of the t&C on how points are accrued, have to be on the sailing.  

While I understand your frustration, the policy is pretty typical of travel loyalty programs whether it’s cruise lines, air lines, hotels, or car rentals. I’ve never heard of points being awarded for cancelled reservations.

Hope you heal quickly!

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, calicakes said:

I had to cancel our Great Barrier reef cruise 2 weeks before the cruise due to a broken ankle/tib/fib.  I do have travel insurance.  What doesn't seem fair is that Celebrity is going to keep our 10k and yet I don't get the Captain's Club points.  Why?  Because I didn't take the actual cruise.  That doesn't seem fair to me.  I would have reached Elite after this cruise.  

I am so sorry about your injury, I hope you get better and fast.  Yeah, Celebrity's loyalty system has always been set up like that. I understand your frustration.  Be sure to rebook yourself on another GBR cruise.  It is not to be missed.

Edited by mahdnc

19 minutes ago, calicakes said:

Thank you.  The entire experience was devastating.  I've never broken a bone, never had to rely on my spouse to do everything for me.  Never had to sit on a sofa all day( bored out of my mind), watching the roll call group go on with the cruise( a bucket list cruise for sure).  I'm still taking pain meds 3.5 weeks later.  I can't bear weight for another 3 weeks.  I have months of PT ahead of me.  Jeez, why do I even post here.  Its MY OPINION.  I'm entitled to it.  I feel its UNFAIR that I paid X 10k and I won't even get the points.  

I do see your point and agree with you that's what SHOULD happen.  Wishing you a speedy recovery.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, calicakes said:

I didn't know that my yearly insurance policy only covered 5k in cruise cancellation

Sorry it happened and glad you had the Chase card with booking.  Not knowing what your insurance you had is completely on you.  Also not knowing how points are accrued is also on you. Your entitled to your opinion but I am on the opposite side of this and agree it is based on being onboard not money spent.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Torfamm said:

While I understand your frustration, the policy is pretty typical of travel loyalty programs whether it’s cruise lines, air lines, hotels, or car rentals. I’ve never heard of points being awarded for cancelled reservations.

Hope you heal quickly!

Airlines and hotels are usually a slightly different situation in that if you cancel late, you will either get a voucher (airline) or your loss is limited to the 1st night's stay (hotel).  I wouldn't expect to get loyalty points in those cases.

Whilst fully understanding all cruiseline policies re points being apportioned following the cruise, and only if you were onboard, I think the author makes very fair points and has my total sympathy. As she clearly states, the cruiseline loses nothing and potentially stands to gain two revenue streams for the same cabin!

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, bikerunner said:

....not knowing how points are accrued is also on you. Your entitled to your opinion but I am on the opposite side of this and agree it is based on being onboard not money spent.  

I do not read the author anywhere saying she didn't know how points are accrued. Her argument is predicated upon fairness, and her point IMHO is fair!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, doghog said:

Something to look forward to on your next cruise. 

we now always take Max  coverage for the trip cost, med and evac..Medicare pays zero out of US ..same for our Supp. 

Several people we know had bad experiences,  so max  ins is a must.  Our neighbor fell in a Greek hotel pre tour.. She had emergency  hip surgery..Her ins covered it all including a travel nurse to bring her home.

We have used Ins twice..Once for cancelled cruise Royal C.... my gall bladder emerg a few days pre cruise..That was with reg cruise ins  with Royal C.. all covered except cost of ins.

Other was Princess Grt Brtn..cruise w hotel,  air, excursions.etc.. After final payment our dtr needed surgery and chemo and us  with her as caretakers. Had  a bit of a rough time, The callous ins rep tried to claim  brst cancer "pre- existed". yes  that's true  but was undiscovered til dr found the lump!! We escalated to Supervisors &   did ok..minus 1 pvt tour and  mega uncovered airline fees. Someone did well with that!

Sad to have to cancel...but  our dtr did fine,  and after my  gall bladder recovery we got a better fare on a  last minute primo cabin.

Main thing is getting something back.. will never be 100% , and making a good revovery! 

Hope you are doing OK!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

I am so sorry about your injury, I hope you get better and fast.  Yeah, Celebrity's loyalty system has always been set up like that. I understand your frustration.  Be sure to rebook yourself on another GBR cruise.  It is not to be missed.

Actually, there were some issues with the excursions and weather on this cruise so we're going to do the reef on our own.  February doesn't seem like a good time to do the reef.  I think we'll go in November.   Private excursions would not work with our roll call group due to tender times, so we were forced to book very expensive excursions through celebrity.  

36 minutes ago, bikerunner said:

Not knowing what your insurance you had is completely on you.

Did I say it wasn't on me?  No, I didn't so this comment is not necessary. 

• Like 1

Sincere best wishes for a speedy recovery. Having had to in recent years cancel two cruises for health issues I understand your disappointment. Also having spent 14 weeks in an orthopaedic boot I understand your mobility frustration.

So pleased that you have got insurance. It is always so upsetting on these boards to read of someone who didn’t have adequate cover…You comments on insurance also highlight to readers the need to check exactly what ‘annual cover’ does cover…

Re the points…Simply not important. You obviously need to check your calendar and book the next cruise you can as you are mobile again and then get your points! 

From the cruise company’s view points the couple who cruise in your room will get points…If they gave them to you they would be handing them out twice.

Again, so sorry for your situation, really such a disappointment but focus on your next cruise now…start browsing and get it booked!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, doghog said:

Something to look forward to on your next cruise. 

Our next cruise on X is Galapagos Oct 2025.  I don't think Elite matters much on that cruise.  No more X cruises for us unless things change drastically with the line. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, calicakes said:

No more X cruises for us unless things change drastically with the line. 

Well then no need to be concerned with "loyalty points" since you won't be loyal. 

Harris

Denver, CO

• Thanks 4
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, omeinv said:

Well then no need to be concerned with "loyalty points" since you won't be loyal. 

Harris

Denver, CO

Maybe if they would have given me the points, I'd stay loyal. 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, helen haywood said:

Are other cruise lines willing to award points for canceled cruises?  I wasn’t aware that any were.

My concern isn't with other cruise lines, its with this cruise line.  

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, calicakes said:

Maybe if they would have given me the points, I'd stay loyal. 

I'm not aware of any travel loyalty program that awards points for trips not taken. You've posted your concern, and now when pretty much everyone has pointed out that you're expecting something that the program rules specifically do not allow for, and no other cruise line, airline, car rental company or hotel program would do, you seem to be becoming more and more strident  I am cognizant that you've suffered an injury, and that likely is influencing your attitude; add to that it can be difficult to judge nuances in the written form.  However, not referring to your injury, but in general:  Are you okay?

Harris

Denver, CO

• Like 5

54 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

Airlines and hotels are usually a slightly different situation in that if you cancel late, you will either get a voucher (airline) or your loss is limited to the 1st night's stay (hotel).  I wouldn't expect to get loyalty points in those cases.

I have only received loyalty points for canceled flights/hotel rooms when it is the airline or hotel who cancels my existing reservation and books me on something different. For example, I was booked on Northwest Airlines (obviously, several years ago) out of Tokyo. The plane, while parked at the gate, was hit by one of the airport vehicles, causing slight damage to the landing gear. Northwest booked me on an ANA flight leaving later that day, but gave me points/miles credit for the original booking.

If I cancel, no points/miles.

It is worth noting that the Celebrity Web site description of Captain's Club says, "You’ll earn points on every sailing..."

No sailing, no points. Is it "fair"? we can argue about that, but they made the program and they decide how it works.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, helen haywood said:

Are other cruise lines willing to award points for canceled cruises?  I wasn’t aware that any were.

No. At least none that I know of.

And Disney now resets to 0 if you don't cruise within 5 years - you can imagine the outrage of kids who never paid a cent for a cruise and were Platinum or even Pearl thanks to Mommy and Daddy, but because they now have to cruise on their dime will likely not be within 5 years so they'll have to gain status on their own dime.

Edited by WrittenOnYourHeart
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, omeinv said:

However, not referring to your injury, but in general:  Are you okay?

No, I'm not ok.  I'm sitting on my ass all damn day, unable to go to the gym, unable to drive, unable to take my own dogs for a walk.  Excuse me if I think its UNFAIR that the cruise line gets to keep 10k and not give me the points.  I don't really care what other loyalty programs do.  I received a 7500.00 credit on American air for my flight.  I didn't lose any other money on any other reservations except 217.00 on airbnb.  So, my concern is not what other loyalty programs do or do not offer.  

I'm really not the first person to come to CC and proclaim something unfair.  Can't we just leave it at that.  Why do I have to be called "entitled".  Its a JOKE at this point. 

• Haha 5