Sun Princess

2 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

Structurally removing Park 19 while at sea on a TA...  where would they put it all?

where have they used to store all the barrel chairs? 

throw it overboard? - nah

burn it?

pile it up one floor below?

use the ropes to secure the ship when porting?

slide for emergency evacuations?

4 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

Structurally removing Park 19 while at sea on a TA...  where would they put it all?

Just throw it off the side of the ship 😜

In all seriousness - I agree... It's too big to just throw in a closet somewhere. 

I would also imagine it will require equipment like cranes to lift while being deconstructed.

Is this thing just going to live as a reminder to people of what could have been until it's first major dry dock in a couple years??

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, dog said:

a Travel agent, on Sun frequently,

says they will do changes to dining rooms during the TA

Only mentioned dining room changes during the TA, nothing about anything else.

1 hour ago, FamilyAtSea.travel said:

Just throw it off the side of the ship 😜

In all seriousness - I agree... It's too big to just throw in a closet somewhere. 

I would also imagine it will require equipment like cranes to lift while being deconstructed.

Is this thing just going to live as a reminder to people of what could have been until it's first major dry dock in a couple years??

My thoughts are that once the Star Princess is sailing successfully with it's version of Park 19, then and only then will the Sun Princess have its Park 19 replaced. Won't require a major dry dock as there shouldn't be any work required on the hull to do this. Just a quick visit to a shipyard with some cranes and so on. That said, they may just wait until it's time to enter a yard for other reasons.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, beg3yrs said:

My thoughts are that once the Star Princess is sailing successfully with it's version of Park 19, then and only then will the Sun Princess have its Park 19 replaced. Won't require a major dry dock as there shouldn't be any work required on the hull to do this. Just a quick visit to a shipyard with some cranes and so on. That said, they may just wait until it's time to enter a yard for other reasons.

I'm very curious to see what goes in that space on the Star.... Will it be something else family-friendly or will they abandon that idea?

37 minutes ago, FamilyAtSea.travel said:

I'm very curious to see what goes in that space on the Star.... Will it be something else family-friendly or will they abandon that idea?

Aren't we all? The one thing Princess does seem to be good at is keeping secrets up until the last week or so. Even then what leaks out may be intentional.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FamilyAtSea.travel said:

They appear to be toning down the family friendly verbage on their web site. They really emphasized that on the Sun and the Star. Now any mention is low key and similar to what is mentioned on other ships. The splash area on the Caribbean Princess seems to get as much mention.

Edited by TRLD
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, dog said:

a Travel agent, on Sun frequently,

says they will do changes to dining rooms during the TA

Being on the TA I hope this isn't the case, or if it is that it doesn't have much impact on dining.  I know they can cancel reservations which will really upset a lot of people, but they are taking reservations for all of the specialty restaurants as of a couple nights ago.

I'm hoping the make the changes in between the TA and the sailing on the 14th.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, rmsmith said:

Being on the TA I hope this isn't the case, or if it is that it doesn't have much impact on dining.  I know they can cancel reservations which will really upset a lot of people, but they are taking reservations for all of the specialty restaurants as of a couple nights ago.

That would make the most sense, this way everything is ready for the VIP’S and Princess can try to avoid any additional bad publicity. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, rmsmith said:

Can’t say. This TA has been and will be on Sun several times., again in a week- so I may hear more. She is very accurate in everything so far.

36 minutes ago, vjmatty said:

That would make the most sense, this way everything is ready for the VIP’S and Princess can try to avoid any additional bad publicity. 

I just read on fb that there is a large group on October 19 cruise- through a travel agency.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, beg3yrs said:

They can still prep the Park 19 area to be ready for removal during the TA. I'm sure there's a lot of things that can be done prior to lifting the thinks off with a crane. 

11 minutes ago, Sox Fan Cruiser said:

My guess is that they can take down the ropes course and such and just leave the track up. No real reason to take that down. 

No real reason to take it down? As in, you think they'll just leave it up forever? Or that they'll just leave it up until they're ready to replace with something else?

Safety first.

Maybe they won’t get rid of everything up there?

Lots of families have expressed their disappointment.

My family was on the new Icon of the Seas and had a blast.  They got it right!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sox Fan Cruiser said:

My guess is that they can take down the ropes course and such and just leave the track up. No real reason to take that down. 

Can I be added to the group that will miss the ropes course?? That's why I booked the Sun Princess instead of the Sky Princess!! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, FamilyAtSea.travel said:

Princess is still getting paid and sailings are selling out so they don't care what we think. 

This is SO true!!!!   Cruising has gotten too big for it's own good.

And even MORE gargantuan ultra mega ships on order.

Where are they all going to PORT?  (yes, this is a serious consideration at this point)

It is almost insane!!!!

I am one of those who has not liked the way Princess has been going about changing and updating their ships and their product.  NOT because I am one of those who is resistant to change...  But it is the total lack of insight and incompetence.   Here is an example to clarify.  Sure, fast food has changed.  They have more extensive menus. But, when you go to McDonald's you can get a Big Mac and Fries.  When you go to Burger King you still have their Whopper.    The basics that appeal, and are tried and true.  (Sorry to those here who would not touch a Big Mac or Whopper!!!   Just a universally understood example!)

Princess has abandoned huge parts of their cruising model and identity that are things that appealed to many, and attracted all of the Princess Cruisers, like us, and made them successful.    

Instead of improving and adding on, they are making changes that affect these basic things.

You can't put mustard and hot sauce on a Big Mac and it still be a true Big Mac.

Edited by Wishing on a star
  • Like 2