The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday March 10th, 2024

Yesterday’s rains are over, maybe a lingering shower midday here in north Jersey, still chilly at 40ish and breezy. Still gray. 

We made good progress on taxes yesterday, maybe finish federal today and have that ready as a base for preparing three state returns - New Jersey, Maryland and New Mexico. Next year will be easier. I’m so glad we are still able to manage through these tasks!  

Blessings for all on our Care list and Jacqui… thank you Vanessa, Roy, Jacqui, Ann, Debbie and all here, sharing your caring. Comfort for Sarah, Graham, Pauline and all their family. Special thoughts to Melissa and all our Caregivers. Thinking too of Ann and her DSis, 🤞for the best direction for now. And all those seeking a direction for relief, May it come soon!  

🎆Cheers to all celebrating milestones of Life, and for those who celebrate Ramadan. Life is Good! 🌈

🛳️Smooth travels to those away! Welcome home Brenda!  ✈️. Trusting your return will be without any unpleasant surprises. 
May everyone stay safe and well! 
Maureen

• Like 23
  • Thanks 3

Good morning Dailyites. A clear morning of 41 warming to 60 today.

Thankfully we heard from Jacqui. My heart skipped a beat when I saw Roy posting the Daily. Thank you Roy!

Prayers lifted for all on Vanessa's, Sandi's, and my prayer list. I'm happy to see Graham posting. Hoping Pauline and Sarah are doing ok. Ann I hope your sister has smooth sailing in rehab. Allen's bloodwork numbers did not come out well. His A1C is really high, his sodium dipped to 124, I'm sure we will be hearing from the doctor tomorrow. Vanessa you can remove him from the care list. His pain level on his neck is better this morning. 

Again Debbie, I love the soup recipes and will copy them for future dinners.

I like today's quote. I don't care one way or another about Daylight savings time, but getting all the clocks down and changed makes me nut up. I usually change their batteries every year in the fall. We have 10 clocks plus the car clock. 

image.png.b8024aafd62e1da122818519aa427b6c.png

image.png.d0d12ca50172d540c2d38745f8540642.png

Wishing all a blessed Sunday. Have a wonderful, safe, healthy, happy week!

• Like 18
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 2

33 minutes ago, Himself said:

Thanks, Roy, for the fleet information and the maps.

Thank you but it's actually @richwmn who does the heavy listing, compiling all the fleet locations, days, quote,  food and drink suggestions, destination, and days in history.

Roy

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2

Good morning from a clear and so far not windy Quartzsite.  It was 44F when I got up, and it will be 78F this afternoon.  We are heading to Yuma and Algodones today, and it will be 89F there this afternoon, but we should be home before then.  Surprisingly, I'm not sore today after all the work yesterday.

We have plenty of batteries, and like @Nickelpenny said, we did not switch to Daylight Savings time overnight.  However, our "atomic" clocks and phones did.  I'll change the settings on the phone, and switch the clocks to the Pacific time zone.  Frankly, I wish we'd get rid of Daylight Savings time.  We will have to change the clocks in Texas when we get back, since we left after we went back on standard time last fall.  I hope all those who celebrate Ramadan have a thoughtful and meaningful month.

The Marcus Tullius Cicero quote is true for me.  

We'll pass on the meal, the drink and the wine.  I'll gladly take a frozen strawberry daiquiri in place of the banana daiquiri.

We stopped in Alexandria in 2003 on the old Regal Princess "mystery cruise".  It was one of the substitute ports, but that was for operational reasons.   We saw a little of Alexandria on the way to and from Cairo.

The 1920 home rule act dividing Ireland was good for Ireland, but not so good for Northern Ireland, IMHO.

@rafinmd  Roy, thank you for stepping up and filling in for Jacqui @kazu.  As others have mentioned, there is always someone who will step in and help when one of us is feeling unwell or on a cruise, etc.

@kazu  Jacqui, I hope you are feeling much better today.

@Heartgrove  Jack, it was good to read that Sam is still doing so well.

@AroundWithMAPTravels  Thanks for the wonderful meme.

@ger_77  Gerry, enjoy your warmer weather.

429779746_368910616059613_4691351264309842149_n.jpg.69b23204acf3aa86437ae6a1e92c7db3.jpg

429985230_855342666608209_1391338490114908168_n.jpg.0d391b282f69d769118af76470cc9b2d.jpg

431199037_937607351702800_7540693116222812866_n.jpg.b4869972aa1e62a471008878c81dfea4.jpg

431407004_10159323238281431_1721149267623039053_n.jpg.cfde09eee83331260bf08499834aeb72.jpg

431621742_122135259860123194_129539873427750713_n.jpg.b34c7cd18cb556ba3092be3d7e94a523.jpg

431743230_368705672746774_7797693886072082558_n.jpg.2a480362ce23972b522139edf647c7a7.jpg

Lenda

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 13

In 2003, we were in Alexandra and Cairo on what everyone called the Mystery Cruise.  It was on the old Regal Princess from Bangkok to Rome in April.  Because of SARS and the invasion of Iraq, we we missed seven or our thirteen scheduled ports. losing one or two at a time.  So we never knew where we would be next.  We did get "safer" ports substituted for the missed ones.  The ship had so many people cancel, almost everyone had a balcony.  One deck was completely closed and all the inside rooms were empty.  However, it is one of the cruises that will always stand out in our memories.

I do not have any pictures from the bus as we drove through Alexandria, but I remember it looking fairy nice.  We also took a ship's tour and had armed guards in pickups leading the bus and following it.  We changed guards at the halfway point to Cairo.  Our first stop was the museum followed by lunch.  We then headed to the obligatory shopping stop, which must be the same one others visited since also have a picture of the pyramids behind the bushes/trees.  Then we went to the pyramids.  DH and I started down into the one that was open, but I turned back part way down.  DH made it to the bottom.  Our final stop was the Sphinx, which for me was one of those AHA moments.  It was surprising to turn around and see KFC across the street.  

We were allowed to take non-flash pictures in the museum, but most of them either have my reflection in them, or a lot of people on the other side of the glass cases.  However, I did find a couple of decent ones even if there are strange people included.

IMG_3067.thumb.JPG.85bd34f7eb39f49e6e205e1eac7cb8e6.JPG

IMG_3070.thumb.JPG.37a7b9f7271c8e19df5ee1e125447495.JPG

IMG_3113.thumb.JPG.8a360321dd1b051d03b4860ea838e020.JPG

IMG_3125.thumb.JPG.fac5a0c9c4fc6d6f302c8fbb70329c0a.JPG

Lenda

• Like 23
  • Thanks 8

I like Daylight Saving Time.  I feel better with the longer light in the evenings, easier driving. I wish it would stay all year. I spent a short time working in the Michigan UP one summer in grad school - it is in the far west of the Eastern Time zone so sunset was quite late, I loved that!  

I’m glad I don’t have to be concerned about the batteries in the smoke detectors, that was always such a nuisance in our mountain home- when we’d return from travel to a cold house the smoke detectors would be chirping because the batteries were cold.  We had 11 smoke detectors distributed in the old cabin section, the new house addition, the garage, attic and partial basement!  Eventually they would all warm up of course, but we would heat up by wood stoves first and not the whole house instantly!  ….things I don’t miss! 🤣. m—

• Like 25

I found a few more pictures from our day in Cairo.

The Cairo Museum

IMG_3003.thumb.JPG.3c7dca2e71ecc2ee9668ca29b82dd432.JPG

The Great Pyramid

IMG_3089.thumb.JPG.f9cae9fdb2ac5ac3f04c174a280a3849.JPG

Inside the Pyramid where DH made it to the bottom.

DSC00129.thumb.JPG.b6241b1e8fe9d036df44325761f626fc.JPG

The stairs going up

DSC00128.thumb.JPG.482bde64e1c7dd4a45ff5f7dafa12443.JPG

DH exiting the pyramid

IMG_3097.thumb.JPG.4c463cc77e588b6b2cdb676af158fa9c.JPG

This picture was taken at the Sphinx, just looking across the street.  The Sphinx and the Pyramids are surrounded by town now.

IMG_3112.thumb.JPG.cb3a2d45b1127c03477bab4ec9c8fa55.JPG

Lenda

• Like 19
  • Thanks 8

Hello everyone,

Glad to be back.

A number of incidents have kept me away.  Too many to list here.

I have not been able to follow all the events but will try to catch up.

Hope everyone has a good day and

Happy Mothers Day to all our friends in the UK.

God Bless,

Terri

• Like 21
  • Thanks 5

Craggy Range Te Muna Sauvignon Blanc

This New Zealand SB sounds lovely. A decent number of distributors with online prices starting at $19.99.

Distributor’s notes

Founded in 1997, Craggy Range exclusively crafts single-vineyard, terroir-driven wines and is a benchmark ambassador for the high quality of New Zealand’s wines. The grapes are partially hand harvested from the estate-owned Te Muna Road Vineyard. 85% of the grapes are destemmed before fermentation in stainless steel tanks and oak barriques using partial wild yeasts. The wine ages on its lees for 5 months in old and new French oak barrels before being fined, filtered and bottled.

TASTING NOTE

In appearance, it’s a pale yellow, straw color. On the nose there are ripe Sauvignon Blanc aromatics with notes of white stone fruit, passionfruit pulp and kaffir lime. The palate is lively with deep concentration and a salinic acidity.

FOOD PAIRING

This wine will pair well with aperitifs, seafood and poultry.

UNIQUE SELLING POINTS
  • The higher-elevation Te Muna Road Vineyard is harvested about a week later than sites in nearby Martinborough. The grapes have greater freshness and acidity.
  • The vineyard's lower terrace has stony soils with limestone, excellent for Sauvignon Blanc.
  • White wines from this vineyard show a distinctive fine, subtle and elegant texture.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 16

58 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Good morning Dailyites. A clear morning of 41 warming to 60 today.

Thankfully we heard from Jacqui. My heart skipped a beat when I saw Roy posting the Daily. Thank you Roy!

Prayers lifted for all on Vanessa's, Sandi's, and my prayer list. I'm happy to see Graham posting. Hoping Pauline and Sarah are doing ok. Ann I hope your sister has smooth sailing in rehab. Allen's bloodwork numbers did not come out well. His A1C is really high, his sodium dipped to 124, I'm sure we will be hearing from the doctor tomorrow. Vanessa you can remove him from the care list. His pain level on his neck is better this morning. 

Again Debbie, I love the soup recipes and will copy them for future dinners.

I like today's quote. I don't care one way or another about Daylight savings time, but getting all the clocks down and changed makes me nut up. I usually change their batteries every year in the fall. We have 10 clocks plus the car clock. 

image.png.b8024aafd62e1da122818519aa427b6c.png

image.png.d0d12ca50172d540c2d38745f8540642.png

Wishing all a blessed Sunday. Have a wonderful, safe, healthy, happy week!

Thank you Joy.

Sending my good wishes for Allen's health.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Good morning. Thanks for starting up the Fleet Report/Daily today @rafinmd.

Time to change all the clocks. My smoke detectors are hard wired, so no batteries to check. Blessed Ramadan to those who celebrate. Good quote. The soup sounds interesting. Maybe on the banana daquiri (may be too sweet) and pass on the wine. I have not been to Alexandria. Sad that Ireland has remained divided.

It's cold (33F), very windy, and some snow showers that won't amount to anything. I only got about 4 hours of sleep; I stayed up way too late. But when I lay down I get a lot of head congestion. I need to get some Sudafed, but don't feel like going out. Still coughing too. So, I'll stay in and continue to sort through DR drawers. Maybe watch some hockey on TV, although our team is horrible this year.

@StLouisCruisers Thanks for your Alexandria photos. I'd love to see the pyramids and the Sphinx, but don't know if I'll get there. 

@grapau27 Happy Mother's Day to those in the UK.

@Heartgrove I'm glad Sam is still doing ok.

@dfish Thanks for the recipes.

@kazu I hope you're feeling better today. No apologies necessary.

@marshhawk Thanks for your prayers. Sleep is slowly getting better. I just hope the improvement lasts for a while. 

@Seasick Sailor I'm glad Allen's neck pain is better, but sorry to hear about the A1C and sodium levels. 

@Quartzsite Cruiser It frustrates me that my atomic clocks won't work in my house, or even outdoorsl; I guess I'm in a dead zone. There was talk of an east coast station, but it never came to be. Thanks for your Egypt photos.

@Cruzin Terri I'm glad you checked in.

@cat shepard Continued prayers for your DSis.

@HAL Sailer Thinking of you and your DH.

@mamaofami I hope all is well with you and Sam.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for those Celebrating.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 6

Good morning. The sun is out and it is a bit windy, going to 43 or so. We changed the alarm batteries in the fall and there are only a few clocks here. I have not been to Cairo except in my dreams. Thanks for the pictures so far Sandi and Lenda.

I will make the soup soon as I am sure half the group will like it. Thank you Debbie!

We spoke to the production company team filming on our street this week as I think they need to know we have a hospice patient here and others need access. I was only a little reassured but will reiterate on Wednesday the need for access in general. 
The TV series is called “Long Bright River” and is based on a book. Our neighborhood is sort of old with most houses built before the Depression.

I took a picture yesterday of the house to be filmed.

IMG_0651.jpeg

• Like 27

36 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

I found a few more pictures from our day in Cairo.

The Cairo Museum

IMG_3003.thumb.JPG.3c7dca2e71ecc2ee9668ca29b82dd432.JPG

The Great Pyramid

IMG_3089.thumb.JPG.f9cae9fdb2ac5ac3f04c174a280a3849.JPG

Inside the Pyramid where DH made it to the bottom.

DSC00129.thumb.JPG.b6241b1e8fe9d036df44325761f626fc.JPG

The stairs going up

DSC00128.thumb.JPG.482bde64e1c7dd4a45ff5f7dafa12443.JPG

DH exiting the pyramid

IMG_3097.thumb.JPG.4c463cc77e588b6b2cdb676af158fa9c.JPG

This picture was taken at the Sphinx, just looking across the street.  The Sphinx and the Pyramids are surrounded by town now.

IMG_3112.thumb.JPG.cb3a2d45b1127c03477bab4ec9c8fa55.JPG

Lenda

Great photos Lenda.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning, thanks for today’s report.  Yesterday I cleaned the upstairs and the cleaned up some leaves from along the driveway.  The outside furniture is out and ready to be used on a warm day.  This morning I cleaned the downstairs except for the living room.  I left the cleaning stuff in the living room and ran an errand, DH the hint.  When I got home I started laundry and dinner.  I hope everyone has a good day today.
image.thumb.png.a6f938a15aacf98a7085ce3d5a16c563.png

• Like 22

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you but it's actually @richwmn who does the heavy listing, compiling all the fleet locations, days, quote,  food and drink suggestions, destination, and days in history.

Roy

True but you and Jacqui do a nice job while Rich is at sea.

• Like 15

Good morning, all! Well, the clocks have changed, but somehow the day remains the same. We have never been to Cairo, but we have been to Safaga and were in a convoy of busses heading for the Valley of the Kings. A soldier rode with us, and we passed through many armed checkpoints. Our guide explained that while this was important for safety, there was another reason for all the soldiers. Egypt requires a mandatory period of military service, which means there’s a lot of young soldiers who aren’t career military. Manning checkpoints and riding with tourists is a good way to keep them busy instead of just doing drills day after day.

The decluttering is painful and slow, but progress is being made. Now comes my closet, which at this point is basically a giant box of fabric with sliding doors. 
My condolences @grapau27 and Sarah for the loss of Sarah’s dad. Prayers that Pauline’s sister may come around faced with the realization that the chance of reconciliation doesn’t last forever.

Happy Sunday, everyone, and enjoy the rest of the weekend!

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1