Tips to find a good TA?

pmjnh

I am so disappointed. Our trusted, wise travel advisor has disappeared from the agency that we utilize (specializing in cruises). she was the best of the best. Who knows why., could be personal, could be medical issues. In any case, how do you find a good TA ? We are considering booking direct with HAL moving forward but just want the personal touch ...

Bummer.  I feel your pain.  One thing you can do is to get recommendations from other cruisers along with details (ie does the TA give a discount/OBC/other perks).  Easy to do on board your cruise when you are part of a roll call.  Most people who are happy with their TA’s are more than happy to share.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

How to find a good/great TA?  For us, it has actually been quite simple.  On cruises we socialize with shared tables in the MDR and often chat with others in various lounges over cocktails.  Invariably, the topic of cruising/travel does get discussed and somebody will usually ask, "how do you book your cruises?"  Using the old technique of simply "listening" gets us a lot of valuable TA info, both pro and con.  

One other thing that has often happened on our HAL cruises.  Fellow cruisers give us their business cards and just happen to be cruise/travel agents.  We have never booked through any of these folks, many of whom are what used to be called "outside" cruise agents.  Most are part time agents, who work for agencies that use just about anyone (to whom they give a portion of their commission).  Kind of like the neighbor's kid who used to ring the doorbell and be selling greeting cards.  

Our own favorite cruise agents (who work for two different agencies) both have a lot of real full-time experience (one now has about 10 years and the other 33 years) along with several industry designations (such as ACC, MCC, CTA, etc) which means they take continuing education courses in the business.  Their agencies have been in business for decades, have a real office, full time staff, dedicated customer service folks (who can handle issues if your agent is not available). etc.

Hank

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Have you considered using a different advisor from the same agency? While each advisor brings his or her own attributes to the job, they still work within the parameters set by the agency. If you were happy with both your advisor and the agency in the past, half of your work will be done if you focus now on trying to find a compatible advisor within the same agency.

• Like 3

As Hank said word of mouth is great. I found a few good agents by referral. I've used big box and automobile agencies (which booked the wrong cruise for us- one a year later). I find that ones that specializes in what you want (cruising), has traveled onboard and keeps up with education and tricks and trades of the cruise lines are the best, as opposed to "catch all" travel agents. I contacted my agent who was on a cruise at the time, and was helped by others in the office. So the office environment and how they run it is important as well as we hear people say "my agent is out" and they can't get responses. You may have to search and call different companies (like interviewing staff) and see. Also ask for quotes from a few different agents and see how they respond and interact. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Have you considered using a different advisor from the same agency? While each advisor brings his or her own attributes to the job, they still work within the parameters set by the agency. If you were happy with both your advisor and the agency in the past, half of your work will be done if you focus now on trying to find a compatible advisor within the same agency.

That does sound quite reasonable. If I were the OP, that is where I would start. I wonder if the OP could still contact the former agent and ask for a recommendation.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, pmjnh said:

I am so disappointed. Our trusted, wise travel advisor has disappeared from the agency that we utilize (specializing in cruises). she was the best of the best. Who knows why., could be personal, could be medical issues. In any case, how do you find a good TA ? We are considering booking direct with HAL moving forward but just want the personal touch ...

I hire a TA similar to my process for hiring employees. First task was developing an SoR on what we want from a TA. For interview candidates, I enlist recommendations from friends and also visit a number of local agencies.

Process worked well for us, as since we ceased booking with a cruise line's friends & family program where you must book direct, we have used the same TA for 6 yrs.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

We actually have been assigned someone but the responsiveness cant compare. Big shoes to fill.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

That does sound quite reasonable. If I were the OP, that is where I would start. I wonder if the OP could still contact the former agent and ask for a recommendation.

I was hoping our former agent would reach out but has not, which makes we wonder. I ope she is okay.

Just now, pmjnh said:

I was hoping our former agent would reach out but has not, which makes we wonder. I ope she is okay.

It could be they are not allowed to contact previous clients due to non-compete agreements?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Sea42 said:

It could be they are not allowed to contact previous clients due to non-compete agreements?

Yes, this thought did cross my mind. Like hairdressers in some salons

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Fouremco said:

Good advice.  We have had that exact situation with the two agencies we still use today.  In both cases, our long-time trusted agents had retired.  In one case, we were simply handed-off to another agent with whom we had a long telephone discussion (about her experience and travel philosophy) before giving her a few bookings.  In the other case, we actually had a telephone conversation with the agency owner and specifically asked for a full-time professional agent who had lots of experience.  In both cases, we were very satisfied.  If not, we would have likely spoke ot the agency's manager or owner about finding somebody who better met our own requirements.

I will add that as long time cruisers (over 50 years) and travelers, we do not require (or want) a lot of so-called hand holding.  We simply want an agent, who we trust, that can handle our orders/requests with professionalism and skill.  My own preference is to either book with the agenices via their online system (which is then serviced by our agent) or who can work via e-mails.  Our two favorite agents are quite busy and also prefer e-mails to phone calls.  Using the phone means time on hold, waiting for folks to be in the office, not on the phone, etc.  We also appreciate that our agents can handle any cruise line (Ocean or river) since we do many bookings (per year) with various cruise lines.

When folks ask us why we use agencies instead of booking direct, we cite several reasons.   1. We save money (usually 7-10% per booking) because of discounts, rebates, OBCs, etc when compared to booking direct.  2.  Our agents work for high volume agencies (that are members of very large high volume consortiums) so they have some real clout when dealing with any cruise line.  and 3.  Our agents have lots of experience and represent us....not the cruise line.  Their motivation is to get our future business (which generates substantial commissions) rather than just read a "script" generated by a specific cruise line.

Hank

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

We use a cruise bidding board service  for all our cruises . We check out their standings with inthe industry .That info is shown always . We then look at the prices we been quoted by different TAs. We go with the best pricing . From there we may or may not build a relationship with that particular TA . It has been very cost effective over many years of  booking cruises 

• Like 2

You will have to search the net as we can not tell you the identity  on Cruise Critic .Their rules .

When on a cruise ,especially of there is a  Meet & Greet  set up oj your Roll Call . when on the ship ask about  of any one is using the cruise bidding web site . .Again we have saved a lot of money over the years . Each TAS that bids our cruise already has a track recird of accomplishments that you can read . You should also check them on web sites like Yelp 

We were using a particular person until he wanted to do every thing by e-mail .That would work but not all the time .so we now use TAs will the best posted bid price 

• Like 2

Take in not only the best bid price but are they offering  any On Board Credits . when dealing with a TA I alwau=ys rate them o nease of communicating  & their ability to follow up for us like on the HAL AARP special on board credit ,can they take our AARP gift cards ie

3 hours ago, Sea42 said:

However, it would seem that a non-compete agreement would not apply if they were recommending an agent within the agency they had left. I would think the agency would want to retain that agent's clients.

5 hours ago, pghflyer said:

It is unfortunate that such a big piece of the cruising puzzle is a forbidden topic on this site, does make it difficult.

If cruise agents or most any other biz were  allowed  to post their "ads" on here to promote themselves it would not go well....and simple posts like i used this or that agency and they were great can and would be manipulated to appear to come from clients but are really just more "ads" promoting a paticular agent or agency.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, dockman said:

If cruise agents or most any other biz were  allowed  to post their "ads" on here to promote themselves it would not go well....and simple posts like i used this or that agency and they were great can and would be manipulated to appear to come from clients but are really just more "ads" promoting a paticular agent or agency.

Yet we see people promoting their YouTube videos daily. Those also bring revenue to the people posting them.

• Like 1

I respectfully disagree. I would love to see a poll of favorite agencies, and while I am not a rocket scientist, I think I can discern a single user self promoting from multiple recommendations from diverse members. Nevertheless, it doesn't matter as not permitted.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dockman said:

I agree. Travel agents are like realtors or car salespeople. They all work from commission, so there motivation is often volume. They will sell you what you want to hear, even lie, just to get your business. The key is a travel agent that wants repeat business.

• Like 4

Talk to your fellow travelers (face to face on ship) about who they use.  Unlike the "old days" your TA doesn't need to be geographically nearby you (but keep in mind timezone differences).  Just the same country in most cases.  If you are referred to them by someone, mention that person's name.  TAs live on repeat business.  

Try a TA, if you don't like their service, switch. Easy. 

• Like 2

I feel your pain.  I've been lucky to have had four good TAs.  Unfortunately, I outlived the first two.

I think it comes down to building a relationship with the TA.  I think that's probably what you did, and that's why you miss the TA.  I also would not use a large national (or regional) agency where you are stuck with whoever answered the phone that day.

CNSJ mentioned that the TA doesn't need to be local, just in the same country.  I worked with my US TA on two cruises after I moved to Australia.  She got most of the job done, but there were issues, and I eventually moved to an Australian TA.  The biggest issue was that the TAs I talked to could only issue travel insurance for residents of their own country.

Good luck finding a TA.  A good one is worth their weight in gold.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, pghflyer said:

I respectfully disagree. I would love to see a poll of favorite agencies, and while I am not a rocket scientist, I think I can discern a single user self promoting from multiple recommendations from diverse members. Nevertheless, it doesn't matter as not permitted.

But what if that single user recruits his family and friends to post glowing reports to make it sound like they are the best thing going or if they recruit same to vote for them in a poll?  A slippery  slope that CC is wise to nip in the bud.

• Like 4