No more embarkation day lunch in the MDR fleetwide!

4 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

Whether is be a labor or food supply issue , Carnival still can save money  . No I do not like what they did at all .Even as a share holder with more than the 100  shares to get OBCs , it still erks me to see this happen . could it change back to the MDR llunch only if there are many complaints filed with the cruise line 

Erks me too  

• Like 2

They have indeed closed the DR on embarkation day this Sunday.  I checked the Navigator app and in capital letters, it says DR closed.  We always go there to avoid the madhouse up in the Lido..... 

Linda R.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, daisy-mae said:

I'm going to insert a discordant note. As infrequent cruisers (compared to many regulars here) part of the excitement on embarkation is seeing our stateroom and exploring our new surroundings. And after escaping the winter cold, we delight in dining "al fresco" on the pool deck.

The last thing that we feel like doing is sitting in a dining room when the outdoors beckon.

Could it be that there are other like-minded folks who have collectively contributed to the lower attendance?

We have been cruising since 2006 and part of the pleasure on embarcation day is the relaxed main dining room lunch where we can sit, eat and relax without the queuing, pushing, shoving and clinging of dishes in the Lido.  The Lido buffet is served indoors, not outdoors.  We are very disappointed to learn that the main dining room is no longer opened on embarcation day

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, HermmyGranger said:

Does this mean that the only option for getting food at lunch on embarkation day is the Lido?

Depends which ship you’re on.  If it’s Pinnacle-class you also have the Grand Dutch Cafe, Dive-In, and New York Deli & Pizza.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, FrankieSue said:

The Lido buffet is served indoors, not outdoors.  

So I guess that you have never grabbed a tray and ventured out back?

Edited by daisy-mae
punctuation
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

I was so looking forward to this. I really enjoyed that option on my last cruise which was NCL. 

To me this is something  that fits with HALs whole vibe of relaxed cruising. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

Depends which ship you’re on.  If it’s Pinnacle-class you also have the Grand Dutch Cafe, Dive-In, and New York Deli & Pizza.

And the Dive-In is on all the ships. The NY Deli is on certain ships without the pizza.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, FrankieSue said:

the relaxed main dining room lunch where we can sit, eat and relax without the queuing, pushing, shoving and clinging of dishes in the Lido.

Have never had lunch in the MDR's very short hour-and-a-half that they were open. Especially not on embarcation as we honor the time assigned to us (all but once! another story). On last cruise (a full ship over New Year 22/23) the Lido was not as chaotic as expected. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, crystalspin said:

Have never had lunch in the MDR's very short hour-and-a-half that they were open. Especially not on embarcation as we honor the time assigned to us (all but once! another story). On last cruise (a full ship over New Year 22/23) the Lido was not as chaotic as expected. 

It seems that staggered check in times have also recently been eliminated as everyone for our Sunday cruise had the same assigned boarding (not check in) time of 12:00. Boarding began at 11:00am, as usual. In fact, if you follow the new requirements everyone had to be checked in by 1pm. So everyone could easily have made it to the MDR by 1pm if they wanted to (if it was open). 

Edited by Real NHDOC
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, FrankieSue said:

yesI do, just not on embarcation day!

Me too. I rarely go to the MDR for lunch. The Lido is easy enough if I go early. On my last cruise, I never had trouble getting a table out by the pool--Lido pool, I rarely venture "out back."

But on embarkation day, I like the quiet of the MDR after the hustle and bustle of port traffic, queues at security (I always get behind the guy who forgets about the change in his pocket), waiting to board. I'm on the ship, unpacking can wait, I just want to sit and have a nice lunch that doesn't involve standing in line.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Me too. I rarely go to the MDR for lunch. The Lido is easy enough if I go early. On my last cruise, I never had trouble getting a table out by the pool--Lido pool, I rarely venture "out back."

But on embarkation day, I like the quiet of the MDR after the hustle and bustle of port traffic, queues at security (I always get behind the guy who forgets about the change in his pocket), waiting to board. I'm on the ship, unpacking can wait, I just want to sit and have a nice lunch that doesn't involve standing in line.

I could not have said it better…. My feelings exactly!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

How easy is it to get Room Service on Embarkation Day? We are not fond of the Zoo that the Lido is anytime after noon. If Room Service is available around noon to 1 pm we will give it a try. The ship needs all hands on deck for embarkation so we are a bit suprised if they do Room Serrvice at all until later in the afternoon. Any experience would be appreciated.

Edited by SilvertoGold
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, SilvertoGold said:

How easy is it to get Room Service on Embarkation Day? We are not fond of the Zoo that the Lido is anytime after noon. If Room Service is available around noon to 1 pm we will give it a try. The ship needs all hands on deck for embarkation so we are a bit suprised if they do Room Serrvice at all until later in the afternoon. Any experience would be appreciated.

I am going by memory as I have not ordered room service on embarkation day nor would I.  I believe it is not available until later in the day.  If I am in error and it is, I would expect service to be very slow with elevators tied up bringing luggage and the many jobs to do on embarkation day.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, SilvertoGold said:

We always eat lunch on shore before boarding but when we board, about 2 pm, we order a cheese and fruit plate for sail away and it's always there within a 1/2 hour.

Edited by Sea42
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Posted (edited)

I will miss the lunch on embarkation day in the MDR. Outside of tea time, it’s about the only time DH will agree to a meal in the MDR (mainly because of how lengthy meals can be, plus the Lido has so much variety). Although I must admit, after our last embarkation day lunch in MDR, we did find ourselves in the Lido perusing the dessert options.😀

I agree with those who say the excuse of not being well attended is a weak argument, in light of the fact it wasn’t well publicized. Those little touches of having a quiet place to dine amidst the hustle and bustle, having some space to think and prepare for the days to come after the morning’s check-in was really nice, in my opinion. 

Edited by syesmar
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Another letter to the Mariner Society:

I have been reading the Main Dining room will no longer be open  for lunch on Embarkation Day fleet wide.  Can you verify if that is true?
  That would be a major disappointment after a hectic morning boarding.  That was one of my favorite HA things to enjoy.   Heading to the Lido with more lines is not a great experience to begin a relaxing cruise.
 If the MDR will indeed be closed, will room service be available for lunch?  I have never ordered room service on Embarkation lunch as I understand the staff is extremely busy.  Would like clarification if that option is available.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1