How bad is Cococay with 11000 people?

The Allure is going to be in port with us (Anthem) both in Nassau and then CoCoCay the next day.  Five ships total in Nassau with 22500 total people gives us some concern about our Atlantis waterpark plans, but hopefully the $200 ticket price will keep some folks away.

More concerning is CoCoCay.  Anyone been there with two large ships before? 

We have a Waterpark Cabana we reserved early, but we are considering dropping it for Beach Club day pass if CoCoCay is going to be so packed that the kids (8 and 11) would get little time on the slides.  We are thinking that at the Beach Club we could get floating mats and snorkel gear and they could enjoy the ocean instead.

1 hour ago, Neosophy said:

Who,ever gets in first gets the head start on best locations at the beach and pool. So you're right in planning a ShoreEx so that you have plans and aren't just one of the minions trying to find the best place to hang out. The island can accommodate 11k people, but the "first come first serve" advantage lies solely with the first ship to open their gangway.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Have been to CocoCay on Oasis with Freedom there as well and IMO it gets very crowded.  It may be designed to handle that, but it IMO is at its capacity when doing so.  All of the beaches, pool area, food venues, etc., were full. Was not as enjoyable as it could have been.  As mentioned, if you are first there you have a jump on things but either way, get off the ship early to get wherever you are going.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 5

We were there last year on the Wonder and the Odyssey was also there. The island did look pretty busy in the public areas, we were in the Beach Club so it was much quieter. 

I'd be more concerned with Nassau.  They always have multiple ships in port, and the pathway between the dock and the city is jammed with people shoulder to shoulder.  You have to pass through a bottleneck, and I genuinely felt unsafe -- if anyone had fallen or if anything bad had happened, people could have been trampled.  And we didn't get off the ship first; that is, we weren't in the initial crush of people.  We agreed we're never leaving the ship in Nasasu again -- unless we opt for an excursion that leaves from the dock /doesn't require going into the city.  

If you're doing the water park in Atlantis, I wouldn't pay for a second water park the very next day.  Personally, I'd skip all the paid options and head for the far side of Coco Cay.  Go to South Beach and keep moving right -- you'll have to walk back to South. Beach for food and rest rooms, but you won't be crowded.  

In the picture, South Beach is at 1:00 ... notice the remote area to the right.  

CocoCay.jpg

• Like 1

I was there when two large ships were docked. We docked first and left the ship as soon as we were allowed to. At the free pool by about 8am. We walked and swam our 90 minutes of exercise in an empty pool until about 9:30am when noticeable crowds moved in. The crowds increased constantly and it was difficult for groups of four or more people to find a spot to park by 10:45am.

There were loungers and umbrellas available but maybe two here and four there. Some larger families looked a bit irritable that they could not find seats near the pool. I do not know if they were the second ship or just late arrivals from our ship.

At about 2pm, people started to go back to the ship and there was plenty of room for everyone.

We stayed until about 4pm as the request was to be aboard by 4:30pm. The weather was sunny with occasional clouds and a moderate to light wind.

All for free. The food was better than what we had onboard at a regular Windjammer Lunch.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Neosophy said:

The Allure is going to be in port with us (Anthem) both in Nassau and then CoCoCay the next day.  Five ships total in Nassau with 22500 total people gives us some concern about our Atlantis waterpark plans, but hopefully the $200 ticket price will keep some folks away.

We have a Waterpark Cabana we reserved early, but we are considering dropping it for Beach Club day pass if CoCoCay is going to be so packed that the kids (8 and 11) would get little time on the slides.  We are thinking that at the Beach Club we could get floating mats and snorkel gear and they could enjoy the ocean instead.

I'm on Anthem March 31 sail and Allure will be there also.  I'm not concerned as I have booked 2 Chill Island Beach Day beds.  I've also been there when Oasis and Independence were there and did not feel crowded.  Not everyone gets off at CC and or Nassau.

Ps.  Was there on Oasis in August '23 at CC and the water slides were so crowded that my grandkids basically abandoned after about an hour and after investing $150+ pp.

Was also there last year on wonder with either odyssey or ovation (can’t remember which). Got off early (around 8.30/9) as other half had jet skis at 9.30. Only one on the beach at that time! Stayed in chill beach until lunch time, did get busy around me but was fine. No long lines for food at the snack shack at lunch. Did have to wait a little until we could see space in the swim up bar in the ocean, but got a space. Went to the cove and very few people there.

Posted (edited)

We'll be there on board Wonder this October. Looks like Freedom will be there with us. Both scheduled to arrive at 7 am. That'll be interesting for sure.

Edited by hapster85

2 hours ago, nelblu said:

I'm on Anthem March 31 sail and Allure will be there also.  I'm not concerned as I have booked 2 Chill Island Beach Day beds.  I've also been there when Oasis and Independence were there and did not feel crowded.  Not everyone gets off at CC and or Nassau.

Ps.  Was there on Oasis in August '23 at CC and the water slides were so crowded that my grandkids basically abandoned after about an hour and after investing $150+ pp.

Thats our upcoming sailing, we have the Waterpark cabana (which includes tix) and we got it at a good rate (compared to its MSRP and being sold out), but we are considering giving it up and just getting Beach Club day passes instead, would save money and maybe make the day more enjoyable.

• Like 1

We were there July 2023 on the Oasis which had 6500 passengers (ship was booked to almost max quad capacity). Serenade was also docked there. Took more than an hour to get off the ship. Got almost half way to the CocoCay entrance looked at each other and decided to go back to the ship. 

3 minutes ago, Neosophy said:

Thats our upcoming sailing, we have the Waterpark cabana (which includes tix) and we got it at a good rate (compared to its MSRP and being sold out), but we are considering giving it up and just getting Beach Club day passes instead, would save money and maybe make the day more enjoyable.

I saw the price of that specific cabana for about $800 (Senior discount) and if I had to pay the current cost of the day beds at $399 each I would have switched to the cabana in a heartbeat.  Originally, the day beds were, and I paid $199 each + tax.

Posted (edited)

I have one booked on Oasis in December when Symphony is also there as well. 🤯

I booked Hideaway bay. I was going to book a ticket for the waterslides as well but I'm not keen to be standing in line forever either so cancelled that idea.  Ive never bothered with the slides a Cococay so I want my first time to not be overwhelmed and unpleasant. 

We'll be there the week previous on Icon.  I wasn't going to book slides since we will have so many on the ship but I might just do that.  We have Voyager in port with that time. So not near as many people.  

Edited by Tree_skier

11 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

I have one booked on Oasis in December when Symphony is also there as well. 🤯

I booked Hideaway bay. I was going to book a ticket for the waterslides as well but I'm not keen to be standing in line forever either so cancelled that idea.  Ive never bothered with the slides a Cococay so I want my first time to not be overwhelmed and unpleasant. 

We'll be there the week previous on Icon.  I wasn't going to book slides since we will have so many on the ship but I might just do that.  We have Voyager in port with that time. So not near as many people.  

Why spend teh money, when the water slides on board are free.🤣

• Like 1

Biggest issues with two ships.

Where to sit for lunch and waiting in line for bathroom.

Plenty of ocean for all. It's everything else on that tiny island that gets too crowded with two ships.

• Like 1

I am sure this has been said, but just get off as early as you can. We were in Coco Cay on Mariner with Harmony. We were lucky that Harmony was coming in an hour after us, so as soon as we were allowed to get off, we quickly got to one of the beach areas and thank goodness we did. As soon as Harmony was letting off guests, we probably wouldn't have been able to find good seating.

Posted (edited)

I'd walk to the beach just past South beach think it's called the cove. It's well hidden and normally the last beach to fill up. Last time I was there at 8.30am and had the entire place to myself until after 10.

When I left at 2pm there were still loungers available. While that may not be the case for you if you get there as soon as you can you stand a good chance for a relaxing day.

Edited by gavvy

5 hours ago, Neosophy said:

With 2 large ships docked lines for the Waterpark will be long, especially during spring break season.

Beach club is definitely a winner with a great lunch.

Floating mats are included and you can rent snorkel gear over near chill island where the snorkeling is the best on the island or bring your own.

14 hours ago, Neosophy said:

The Freedom of the Seas and Oasis of the Seas were at CocoCay a couple of weeks ago. Both ships were sold out. There was no problem at the beach or buffet. There is somewhat limited seating at the pool, so those seats were all filled. No problem at all. 

• Like 1