Table for 2

negn

We are currently on the Ruby.   Months ago we reserved a table for 2 at 6 pm.   Have yet to not have to share.  Most tables are for 6-8.  There are barely any 2 tops in the dining room.  I’ve never had this on previous ships.   I’m not antisocial, my DH and I just wanted this as it’s our 25 anniversary

16 minutes ago, negn said:

We are currently on the Ruby.   Months ago we reserved a table for 2 at 6 pm.   Have yet to not have to share.  Most tables are for 6-8.  There are barely any 2 tops in the dining room.  I’ve never had this on previous ships.   I’m not antisocial, my DH and I just wanted this as it’s our 25 anniversary

Funny you mention that.  We were on the Grand a few years back for our 25th and we were refused a table for two on our special anniversary.  
My DH is still steaming about that so many years later.  We tried to go to specialty but they had no openings, at which time, we just tried to go to Alfredo’s .. ovens were broken so we were forced to go to the buffet.  Ugh! If it were now, we’d order over the app and sit in a nice spot in one of the lounges with our special orders.  

• Like 1

Wife and I always book private tables for two.   We've never been forced to sit at a group table.  We've been asked many times if we would like to wait, or accept a group table.   The only difference is that I always make 5:20 reservations.   With an average time of 90 minutes per dinner service, everybody with 5pm, 5:20 and 5:40 reservations will still be seated.   

Negn,

We never had a problem getting a table for 2 at dinner.

Go with suekl's advice. Go to the Maitre D and show them your reservations on your app and ask for a table for 2. Then ask for the same one each night. They can also make a table for 4 a 2 top for you. If than does not work then go to guests services.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Unless they have completely torn apart the Ruby's dining room since we last sailed on her, the 2 tops in the dining room are mostly a curving banquet with a table for two and a chair on the other side.  While they are 2 tops, you sit mere inches away from the people at the 2 top next to you.  There are very few table and chairs for two in their dining rooms, but a couple of them are out there.

And yes, if you have the reservation for a table for two in your app and you can see it in there, then it should also be in the service computers in the dining room.  I recommend a polite conversation with the Maitre D, at some point in the near future.  It will be much easier to get a 2 top later in the evening or very early in service, so if you can change when you dine, that will make your selection easier.

2 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

Funny you mention that.  We were on the Grand a few years back for our 25th and we were refused a table for two on our special anniversary.  
My DH is still steaming about that so many years later.  We tried to go to specialty but they had no openings, at which time, we just tried to go to Alfredo’s .. ovens were broken so we were forced to go to the buffet.  Ugh! If it were now, we’d order over the app and sit in a nice spot in one of the lounges with our special orders.  

Can we order from the dining room using the app?

41 minutes ago, katmigordon said:

Can we order from the dining room using the app?

no.  the only people who can order from the MDR are full suites guests and even that must be done over the phone. 

We always have gotten a table for 2 but you have to be realistic. Can you get 2 lounge chairs poolside at 11am on a Feb carib cruise. Same for dining room. Early dining is 5-5;20 and those tables don't turn until around 6:40. I always talk to the Head Waiter or Maitre D, tell them what we'd like table wise and be open to basically 1st or 2nd seating.

They always ask people if sharing is OK, hoping that some of them will change their minds if asked since most ships don't have that many 2 top tables. 

Sometimes the only way around the problem of getting a table for 2 is to arrive earlier than you really want & first have a drink before giving your order to the waiter. 

Thanks for all the replies.   It appears the dining room is still set up for the old 2 seatings way of dining.  Most tables are 6-8.  At breakfast they seated us alone at a table for 8 !  They are apologetic but cant/ won’t do anything about it.   Think I’ll try early tonight and see what happens

14 hours ago, negn said:

Are you saying that they refused to let you wait for a table for two and said you had to share, or that you didn’t want to wait until a table for two was available? Maybe you could ask if there is more availability in a different MDR?

We’ve never had any trouble getting a reserved table for two but we usually book at 7:00 or 7:20. 6:00 is probably a busier time as the people who arrive when the MDR opens are usually still eating. My  guess is they are seating people who arrive ahead of you or who have earlier reservations. 

An hour wait with a reservation.  You are right that early diners are probably still eating, then why allow 6 pm reservation?  We are not the only ones complaining.  They need to set up more 2 and 4 person tables

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, negn said:

An hour wait with a reservation.  You are right that early diners are probably still eating, then why allow 6 pm reservation?  We are not the only ones complaining.  They need to set up more 2 and 4 person tables

That I can’t explain. It’s definitely a problem, but if they probably won’t be able to reconfigure the tables in time to help you on this cruise.

I can only make one suggestion that might help now. Did you try asking about different dining rooms? I know I’ve sometimes heard hostesses and dining room managers tell people who are waiting that they could be seated right away if they are willing to do to a different MDR.

On our recent trip we were booked for 5:40 every night with sharing. One night we just didn't want to deal with it so asked for a table for 2. It wasn't a problem. Princess is generally pretty good about accommodating this sort of thing. On our upcoming cruise I booked a private table for 5 every night at the same time. The other 3 (our son, his wife, and his daughter) had to drop the cruise but my reservation still shows it's for 5 even though only two people show as being in our party. When we board I'll speak with the DRO or a head waiter and get it fixed.

We cruised on Ruby in November 2023.  It was the WORST dining room experience we ever had on Princess.  Reservation for 2, private table for 5:20 every night.  They would not seat us at the same table (or same section) every night, yet others were given same table every night and as we waited in line, they would just walk around us to "their table".  The manager (or whatever the proper term is now) could be seen every night frantically running around looking to see which tables were avaiable.  We have sailed Princess quite often, and this was the first time we've had such a horrible experience.  I sure did fill out my post cruise survey, but it seems as though Ruby is still a mess.

Well.... there is a table for two and then there is a table for two ie. we hate the jammed in two tops where you can't escape from bumping your neighbor when you leave or overhear conversations. So we typically ask for a bit of privacy and don't expect this at peak times or demand a 'prime' spot. It is always a bit of a challenge even in suite designated venues because of the typical seating arrangement but we rarely have an issue. We kind of have fun with it and try not to be demanding. For an anniversary I would definitely request something 'special' and have no qualms. From experience it is sometines better to request a specific table since everyone has different preferences. For example we would prefer a more secluded table than window table close to other diners.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, topspot said:

We cruised on Ruby in November 2023.  It was the WORST dining room experience we ever had on Princess.  Reservation for 2, private table for 5:20 every night.  They would not seat us at the same table (or same section) every night, yet others were given same table every night and as we waited in line, they would just walk around us to "their table".  The manager (or whatever the proper term is now) could be seen every night frantically running around looking to see which tables were avaiable.  We have sailed Princess quite often, and this was the first time we've had such a horrible experience.  I sure did fill out my post cruise survey, but it seems as though Ruby is still a mess.

We were on the Ruby, Nov 6th, had a table for 2 for the whole cruise and although we would accept any table for 2, we were always assigned the same table each night. We couldn't complain about the seating arrangement at all. After a few nights we just made arrangements for the same table & just scanned in prior to the doors opening & proceeded to our table. All you had to do is make the request from the head waiter.

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, 555 said:

All you had to do is make the request from the head waiter.

Yes I know, I have done this before.  I was told NO on the first night, the second night, the third night.  Others were given regular tables, we were refused!  When we would arrive in the "with a reservation" line we would have to wait for them to pick a table.  One night they put us at a table for 6, and removed all of the other places.  

Edited by topspot

26 minutes ago, topspot said:

Yes I know, I have done this before.  I was told NO on the first night, the second night, the third night.  Others were given regular tables, we were refused!  When we would arrive in the "with a reservation" line we would have to wait for them to pick a table.  One night they put us at a table for 6, and removed all of the other places.  

Very strange indeed. 

Were you at the Michelangelo DR on deck 5? 

8 minutes ago, topspot said:

That is unfortunate. We certainly have had different experiences all across the board with seating requests. Some of it due I am sure to ship capacity and some to table arrangements but would absolutely not accept a shared table if that is not our preference.

If it was me I would tell the maitre d that you had been cooperative and understanding the previous nights but since you have a res. for two that is what you want and ad that his seating assignments have been a  negative to your cruise experience so far. Any pushback and I would reference taking it up immediately with Food and Bev. mgr (not sure exact position on Princess but would find out before and cite him by name). 

Good luck.