Tipping with local currency

We’re cruising through Northern Europe in May, and I’m concerned about what currency to prepare with for tips. We’ll definitely get some euros ( for France, Belgium, Netherlands, and Germany). However, I’m not sure about England, Denmark, Norway, and Sweden. We don’t need much since it will be just for tips on excursions. Would it be acceptable to give them euros as well?

Guest Snaxmuppet

In the UK tipping in EUR is not done and tbh I suspect wouldn't be much appreciated as there is no easy way to convert to GBP in small amounts and even with larger amounts it is expensive. Having said that, perhaps in ports where there are a large number of people passing through that might tip in EUR that it isn't a problem.

Denmark uses DKK.  England uses GBP.  Norway uses NOK. Sweden uses SEK. Don't tip in EUR. If you must tip hit an ATM for local currency.

• Like 2

You lose a lot of money exchanging it twice, and cruise ship are not known for giving the best rates.  It’s hard for us Americans to get used to, but in a lot of countries tipping is totally unnecessary, if not considered semi-insulting. You might look into the specific countries you’re visiting.

Generally, in country ATMs give you better rates than the ship, and I wouldn’t get any more than you think you really need.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Mark_K said:

You lose a lot of money exchanging it twice, and cruise ship are not known for giving the best rates.  It’s hard for us Americans to get used to, but in a lot of countries tipping is totally unnecessary, if not considered semi-insulting. You might look into the specific countries you’re visiting.

Generally, in country ATMs give you better rates than the ship, and I wouldn’t get any more than you think you really need.

I do see this as a problem for passengers traveling through Europe and their neighboring countries.  I plan on leaving currency of the country the ship is home ported.  For instance, if the ship leaves from Southampton, I will try to leave GBP.  The rest of the time, I will charge as much as I can.

But how much is enough for small tipping. Like tours and coffee shops?    $25? $50? I will most likely never return to this ports.  Seriously looking for guidance.

When doing a Japan cruise last spring, I left Yen and left over Korean Wan since the crew could use it if they were able to get off the ship. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Seriously looking for guidance.

Use your favorite search engine and look up tipping culture for a particular country. "When in Rome..." A tour book from your library would help too.

From living in SE Asia, I understand how it is perceived as insulting, but that was long ago and don't know about today. Not saying someone should or shouldn't tip. Just saying, be a respectful traveler.

We always obtain local currency from our bank for all the countries we will be visiting.  This usually amounts to $200 per country, that we use for gratuities and small purchases from vendors that do not take credit cards. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, mtnesterz said:

Use your favorite search engine and look up tipping culture for a particular country. "When in Rome..." A tour book from your library would help too.

From living in SE Asia, I understand how it is perceived as insulting, but that was long ago and don't know about today. Not saying someone should or shouldn't tip. Just saying, be a respectful traveler.

Most of my “tips” were addition to crew appreciation while onboard. My cousin took us around Yokohama and explained that tipping isn’t necessary in Japan, but was not considered insulting if we choose to do so at the other ports.  I found the Japanese to be so friendly and helping without the anticipation of a tip.  But….they do appreciate omiyage  and I always had Mac nut treats with me.  

Edited by cr8tiv1

We went to England, France, Germany, Netherlands, Denmark, Sweden, Belgium, and Norway on our Island Princess cruise in September/October 2023.  We ordered GBP and Euros through AAA prior to leaving, and we didn't have any problems using all of it during our trip 🙂  For countries that didn't use Euros or GBP we used our Capitol One credit card with no problems, and added tips accordingly.  

If you want to offer a tip to your guides and don’t have local currency, most are happy to accept US dollars or Euros since they are relatively easy to exchange.  

I am so very tired of the tipping culture in the US. I bought a pizza the other night. It's from a take and bake place. I ordered it online then I had to go pick it up, bring it home, and bake it myself. The website wants to automagically add a 15% tip. Of course I'm "free to add more". There are articles online about Self Checkout machines asking for tips. GAH!!!!!

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Thrak said:

I am so very tired of the tipping culture in the US. I bought a pizza the other night. It's from a take and bake place. I ordered it online then I had to go pick it up, bring it home, and bake it myself. The website wants to automagically add a 15% tip. Of course I'm "free to add more". There are articles online about Self Checkout machines asking for tips. GAH!!!!!

I do agree with your sentiments.  It has gotten out of hand.  I have no guilt not tipping at some establishments.

• Like 2

No one expects to be tipped in Europe, so don't worry about it, everyone is paid a reasonable wage, if have the local currency that's fine, but don't bother with the wrong currency in the pkace you are in, you will just look like an ignorant tourist 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Thrak said:

Honestly, although we love the US we have had to stop travelling there as the tipping culture seems to be so out of control and it would totally stress us out to the point where we would not be able to enjoy ourselves. We've heard stories of serving staff chasing people out of restaurants if they have left less than 25%. Probably just myth but when I read stories like yours I'm tempted to believe them!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Thrak said:

Or it seems like every business now I want you to donate to their charity. A lot of news agencies, including CNBC is basically said that tipping is out of control and begging people for donations is also out of control.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Crystaltipps67 said:

Honestly, although we love the US we have had to stop travelling there as the tipping culture seems to be so out of control and it would totally stress us out to the point where we would not be able to enjoy ourselves. We've heard stories of serving staff chasing people out of restaurants if they have left less than 25%. Probably just myth but when I read stories like yours I'm tempted to believe them!

Such a shame, ignore the tipping culture, the only person who needs a tip is wait staff 15% is perfectly adequate, don't believe the hype. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Crystaltipps67 said:

We've heard stories of serving staff chasing people out of restaurants if they have left less than 25%. Probably just myth but when I read stories like yours I'm tempted to believe them!

Not a myth but definitely outliers. And, since we're hearing this from the customers, probably some important context was left out as well. :shrug:

I do think tipping culture is getting out of control in the US and say this as a heavy tipper. But I do not tip for everything. It's mainly my hairdresser, waiters, and porters at the airport (which I rarely use). Those tips jars on the counter of a fast food place and POS programs asking for a tip from every business that uses them are ignored.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Only Americans think to tip in a non tipping country. Research the countries you are visiting and enjoy and adhere to their culture. I just got off a 28 night Mediterrean cruise and tips were not expected but a few people ignored the custom and tipped but most did not. 

Edited by cruzsnooze

We did not tip while onshore in Australia or New Zealand. I don't like to mess with other cultures that don't normally tip. Why mess with things? We do tip in restaurants and we usually do tip our cabin steward onboard. Twice we have had stewards that were so completely terrible that we failed to tip them. I mean they were really horrible.

I did give a $100 tip once but it was to my niece who is also my masseuse. She lost everything when the town of Paradise burned in the Camp Fire. (She and her family also stayed in our house for the first month after the fire. It worked out wonderfully as we were leaving the next day for a 28 day cruise.) I don't know if she ever even realized I had tipped that much as it was on a POS unit and I never mentioned it then or later.