I don’t even know how to pack for this

Posted (edited)

I’m not new to cruising by any stretch of the imagination, but I am booked on something that seems to be rather daunting on how to pack and prepare for: 32 nights on a cruise ship. Actually, it’s a 25-night repositioning cruise from Florida through the Panama Canal to Alaska followed by a 7-night Alaska SB from Whitter to Vancouver, doing them as a B2B. The longest cruise I’d ever done before this was 14-nights on a B2B, but that was on Princess and they have self-service laundromats.

There are more than likely going to be a lot of temperature extremes on this cruise, from possible 90° temperatures in Panama and cruising up the Central American coast, to the mid-40’s for two weeks in late-April Alaska. 

Layers, I know lol. 😉 I think I’m (dreadfully) looking at probably two suitcases. FYI I’m a 65yo mid-size guy and won’t be packing formalwear except maybe a light sports jacket. NCL does not have self-service laundry, albeit they do have a mid-cruise ‘Bundled Laundry Service’ about half-way through the repositioning cruise. And I researched how to do some laundry in your cabin’s bathroom sink. Plus one of the ports (Day 16) is San Pedro, California. I used to live in Southern California, so there’s really nothing of interest here except maybe a laundromat, which I’ve researched and found.

This has me totally baffled on how to pack for this, and I would really appreciate some insight and suggestions for those who may have also cruised very long cruises on ships with no passenger laundry room service.

😁

Edited by dmwnc1959

No need to over think this.  I would just bring a coat for the colder days.  Otherwise, pack as normal -- some long sleeve, some short sleeve, fleece, etc.  

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, ldubs said:

No need to over think this.  I would just bring a coat for the colder days.  Otherwise, pack as normal -- some long sleeve, some short sleeve, fleece, etc.  

I think I’m stuck on the 32-nights aspect of it, but if I pack for 16, then wear everyone twice 😉 it’ll cut down on stuff. I know I’ll need to bring some Downy Wrinkle Release Plus. A partial list of things I want to pack already includes:

- Light-weight (clear) water-proof rain parka

- Wide brim sun hat with neck flap (light-colored)

- Cooling neckerchiefs 

- Gum

- Small clear plastic umbrella 

- Eyeglass / camera lens wiping cloths 

- High SPF sunblock 

- Couple of long-sleeve shirts for the colder weather

- Multiple boxes of drink mix 

- Insulated coffee mug

We spent 6 weeks in Australia and New Zealand last year with temps ranging from 40's in the fiords of New Zealand to over 108 in the Red Center (Uluru area).  And everything in-between.

We each brought one 24" suitcase and a small carryon.  Since most of our days were spent in 70-80 degree temps we packed mostly for that.  We had light jackets and each packed one of the puffy jackets that roll up into a very small case.  For Alaska I'd pack some kind of waterproof or water resistant jacket as well--even plastic poncho types would work.  I've been to Alaska in late May, not April and weather ranged from 40's (Glacier Bay) to 70's, with some light rain.

Our trip last year included two cruises and some land travel.  I tried my darndest to keep my luggage to a 21" carry-on size but just couldn't do it.  We have free laundry on Princess, did laundry in hotel self-service laundry rooms and some hand washing.

For a hint, my husband usually wears a sport jacket on the plane so he doesn't have to take up room in his suitcase.  But, on our Princess and RCI cruise, you didn't really need one.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, dmwnc1959 said:

- Light-weight (clear) water-proof rain parka

100% pure curiosity.  Why is "clear" important?  Is that some kind of fashion thingy?  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ldubs said:

100% pure curiosity.  Why is "clear" important?  Is that some kind of fashion thingy?  

I think I was more or less trying to be considerate 🤔 for the transit through the Panama Canal, if it rains. Didn’t want people up on the decks behind me and in the forward-facing suites to have some bright colored rain gear showing up in their pictures.  Crazy, I know. 😉

13 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Aw, I thought your concern was the weather extremes.  I agree it is best not to attempt to pack enough for 32 nights.  

That too. We will more than likely have spring-like weather in Florida, transiting to very hot and humid in Panama, then quite chilly temperatures in Alaska. Don’t think I’ve ever experienced temperature extremes like that on a cruise.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, Nebr.cruiser said:

We spent 6 weeks in Australia and New Zealand last year with temps ranging from 40's in the fiords of New Zealand to over 108 in the Red Center (Uluru area).  And everything in-between.

We each brought one 24" suitcase and a small carryon.  Since most of our days were spent in 70-80 degree temps we packed mostly for that.  We had light jackets and each packed one of the puffy jackets that roll up into a very small case.  For Alaska I'd pack some kind of waterproof or water resistant jacket as well--even plastic poncho types would work.  I've been to Alaska in late May, not April and weather ranged from 40's (Glacier Bay) to 70's, with some light rain.

Our trip last year included two cruises and some land travel.  I tried my darndest to keep my luggage to a 21" carry-on size but just couldn't do it.  We have free laundry on Princess, did laundry in hotel self-service laundry rooms and some hand washing.

For a hint, my husband usually wears a sport jacket on the plane so he doesn't have to take up room in his suitcase.  But, on our Princess and RCI cruise, you didn't really need one.

I’m probably going to end up taking (as a minimum) the largest suitcase that I can check-in for a plane plus the largest carry-on I can manage. I already have an oversized suitcase, but last cruise drove to the port so it didn’t matter then. Loved the Princess self-service laundromats. Going to really miss those.

I’d already planned on wearing/carrying my ‘winter’ coat on the plane ride down to Florida, so I’ll try to find a nice thin sport coat to pack. Also planned on taking at least 15 shirts, most of mine are very thin polyester for shipboard wear. Probably going to buy about a half dozen or so cotton ‘novelty’ t-shirts for day use. Not sure about how many and what type of pants. I tend to overpack a lot.

😁

Edited by dmwnc1959

17 minutes ago, dmwnc1959 said:

I think I was more or less trying to be considerate 🤔 for the transit through the Panama Canal, if it rains. Didn’t want people up on the decks behind me and in the forward-facing suites to have some bright colored rain gear showing up in their pictures.  Crazy, I know. 😉

It is very considerate (and maybe just a little crazy too, haha)!  Thanks! 

We always try to get out of the background for someone's vacay pic. 

• Like 2

I would suggest shopping the Columbia brand for a couple pairs of light weight, quick drying zip-off pants that you can zip off the legs and wear are shorts.  These pants will work for you in Alaska.

For shirts I would look at the quick drying Dri-Fit type short sleeve polo shirts that will be perfect in the warm weather, and suitable to wear to dinner.  Columbia also makes long and short sleeve button-up shirts that also are quick to dry, and gives you UV sun protection.

Do bring a fleece jacket or vest to use as a layer, and don't scrimp on the waterproof outer shell jacket.

A close toe sandal from Keen will take care of you during your 25 day cruise.  I suggest a waterproof shoe or light hiking boot for Alaska.  An all black sneaker (Brooks) should be suitable for any dress-up dinner.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dmwnc1959 said:

And I researched how to do some laundry in your cabin’s bathroom sink.

Quick hints:

For non-delicates, when you take a shower (especially when you wash your hair), put a few items on the shower floor before starting the water.

Then let the assorted soap product(s) flow right onto those clothes.

And then... make like Lucy in the I Love Lucy "grape stomping" episode.

That is, stomp around on them, let the water and soap really get into them.

Then the reverse as you rinse off.  If the water isn't clear for the clothing, then either get some more exercise 😉 or just rinse them by hand a bit more in the shower (or tub).

Before drying... open up a couple of bath towels (ask for more if needed).  Wring by hand anything that can be safely done, for starters.  Then lay out the wet clothing, spread out nicely.  Then ROLL the clothing/towel so there is a layer of towel between every layer of clothing.

Then... take the roll, and... do a bit more gentle stomping so a lot of the water is transferred to the towel. 🙂 

There should be a little extension cord in the shower or tub to hang clothing on.

Heavy clothing may take a bit longer to dry if you are in a very humid area.

GC

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

We travel very light (by choice) and pay to have laundry cleaned on board the ship.  Limit shoes - for Alaska we take waterproof sneakers and another pair of shoes for dinner and around the ship.  Then our plan is layers so that in cooler spots we can be warm but remove layers if the day is nice.  Hiking pants out of rain repellent fabric work great and can easily be rinsed and hung to dry in the cabin.  Our outer layer is rain coat with a fleece jacket underneath if needed.  DH does bring a pair of hiking shorts and quick dry shirts for day wear, a couple polos, a couple long sleeve cotton shirts and a sport coat (wears on the plane) for dinner.  I use compression bags for the fleece, gloves, hat.  We pack in one 24" check bag, one 22" carry on and a personal bag each.  For us (again our choice as I hate wrangling luggage) this has worked for warm weather as well as Iceland, Norway and Alaska.  We plan to send out laundry every 4 to 5 days as well as hand wash some that can be worn again without a machine wash.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

I would suggest shopping the Columbia brand for a couple pairs of light weight, quick drying zip-off pants that you can zip off the legs and wear are shorts.  These pants will work for you in Alaska.

For shirts I would look at the quick drying Dri-Fit type short sleeve polo shirts that will be perfect in the warm weather, and suitable to wear to dinner.  Columbia also makes long and short sleeve button-up shirts that also are quick to dry, and gives you UV sun protection.

Do bring a fleece jacket or vest to use as a layer, and don't scrimp on the waterproof outer shell jacket.

A close toe sandal from Keen will take care of you during your 25 day cruise.  I suggest a waterproof shoe or light hiking boot for Alaska.  An all black sneaker (Brooks) should be suitable for any dress-up dinner.

I tend to be VERY modest (almost to a fault) and my legs have never seen daylight. 😳 They’re good looking legs 😂 but I’m just super embarrassed, so have quite literally never worn shorts. So at this point I’m not wanting to scare off any people or blind them. I’ll definitely check out Dri-fit, Keen, Brooks, and Columbia websites to see what they have to offer. Haven’t heard of those brands before, so this will be fun. The fleece jacket is definitely a good idea! 

😁

Edited by dmwnc1959
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

Quick hints:

For non-delicates, when you take a shower (especially when you wash your hair), put a few items on the shower floor before starting the water.

Then let the assorted soap product(s) flow right onto those clothes.

And then... make like Lucy in the I Love Lucy "grape stomping" episode.

That is, stomp around on them, let the water and soap really get into them.

Then the reverse as you rinse off.  If the water isn't clear for the clothing, then either get some more exercise 😉 or just rinse them by hand a bit more in the shower (or tub).

Before drying... open up a couple of bath towels (ask for more if needed).  Wring by hand anything that can be safely done, for starters.  Then lay out the wet clothing, spread out nicely.  Then ROLL the clothing/towel so there is a layer of towel between every layer of clothing.

Then... take the roll, and... do a bit more gentle stomping so a lot of the water is transferred to the towel. 🙂 

There should be a little extension cord in the shower or tub to hang clothing on.

Heavy clothing may take a bit longer to dry if you are in a very humid area.

GC

This was both very entertaining to read and quite enlightening, never thought about any of that so a lot of very good suggestions! 🥰

8 minutes ago, SbbquilterUT said:

We travel very light (by choice) and pay to have laundry cleaned on board the ship.  Limit shoes - for Alaska we take waterproof sneakers and another pair of shoes for dinner and around the ship.  Then our plan is layers so that in cooler spots we can be warm but remove layers if the day is nice.  Hiking pants out of rain repellent fabric work great and can easily be rinsed and hung to dry in the cabin.  Our outer layer is rain coat with a fleece jacket underneath if needed.  DH does bring a pair of hiking shorts and quick dry shirts for day wear, a couple polos, a couple long sleeve cotton shirts and a sport coat (wears on the plane) for dinner.  I use compression bags for the fleece, gloves, hat.  We pack in one 24" check bag, one 22" carry on and a personal bag each.  For us (again our choice as I hate wrangling luggage) this has worked for warm weather as well as Iceland, Norway and Alaska.  We plan to send out laundry every 4 to 5 days as well as hand wash some that can be worn again without a machine wash.

Don’t think I’ve ever heard of compression bags for packing. That’s definitely an interesting idea. A lot of really great suggestions on what clothes to consider. I’m making a list and checking it twice from all of these posts! 

I’ll have to go back and check the airline restrictions on how much and what type of luggage I can bring as far as a checked bag, a personal bag, and a carry-on. I also looked at the NCL prices for sending out laundry, and it is quite cost prohibitive. I’ll have to rely on the mid-cruise laundry deal and doing a couple of loads in San Pedro, there’s a laundromat about a 15 minute bus ride from the cruise port and I’ve already checked out the route and ticket cost. 

IMG_3974.jpeg

IMG_3975.jpeg

IMG_3976.jpeg

Just now, Ferry_Watcher said:

Looks like the bundled laundry service is a reasonable option.

I’ve heard the NCL laundry service paper bags are relatively small and tear easily, and that the best way to get the most out of it is to insert a plastic bag like what you get from Walmart/Target. This will allow for more expansion without destroying the paper bag.

• Like 1

My reason for trying to take smaller luggage is how hard it is for me to manage even a 24" case.  Mine was very packed full but still under 50 lbs. As well I had a fairly small but full carry-on--maybe the 15" size. I'm a small 78 year old woman and maneuvering big cases around airports and hotels gets harder every year..  My husband has his own issues, and I don't expect him to help except in extreme circumstances.  

Enjoy your trip--it sounds fantastic.  Yes, expect very hot weather in the canal and cool to cold in Alaska, especially in April.  Try not to overpack!!!  It''s hard, especially shoes, and I have small feet!  My carry-on has a separate shoe compartment and I wear my walking shoes and a light jacket.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Nebr.cruiser said:

My reason for trying to take smaller luggage is how hard it is for me to manage even a 24" case.  Mine was very packed full but still under 50 lbs. As well I had a fairly small but full carry-on--maybe the 15" size. I'm a small 78 year old woman and maneuvering big cases around airports and hotels gets harder every year..  My husband has his own issues, and I don't expect him to help except in extreme circumstances.  

Enjoy your trip--it sounds fantastic.  Yes, expect very hot weather in the canal and cool to cold in Alaska, especially in April.  Try not to overpack!!!  It''s hard, especially shoes, and I have small feet!  My carry-on has a separate shoe compartment and I wear my walking shoes and a light jacket.

I have a torn rotator cuff in my right shoulder that the doctors don’t want to do surgery on. Despite multiple MRIs that verify that it’s completely torn - and something that completely baffles them - I pretty much have complete functionality of that arm. I don’t dare overuse it, or do a lot of twisting and turning with heavy objects. Plan on making full use of carts and porters everywhere I go.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, ldubs said:

And accept the cost of ship’s laundry as an acceptable part of your cruise “fare”.   Why are people willing to pay extra for alternative restaurants on NCL (because included dining is rather disappointing) but seem to feel paying for having laundry done is unacceptable?  $29 a bag for stuff washed and folded is not that excessive.

Edited by navybankerteacher
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

And accept the cost of ship’s laundry as an acceptable part of your cruise “fare”.   Why are people willing to pay extra for alternative restaurants on NCL (because included dining is rather disappointing) but seem to feel paying for having laundry done is unacceptable?  $29 a bag for stuff washed and folded is not that excessive.

You’re right, it’s not.

But with as many clothes as I’m probably taking, the exorbitant cost of a per-item laundry ticket, and as few items that will likely fit into that little paper bag, I’ve researched the next best alternative and quite literally can do all my laundry at a fraction of the cost. And I don’t even mind NOT spending a couple of hundred dollars letting NCL price gouge me. 

😁

IMG_9027.jpeg

IMG_9028.jpeg

its going to hot and humid going thru the canal.  It will get much cooler going up the pacific coast.  I would only take a lightweight rain jacket.  If you need warmer tops ( sweatshirts or sweaters) I would buy them in the ports ( Alaskan ports have some really good deals on sweatshirts. Good quality and last for years).  Also, you might want to think about taking some clothes that you won't mind leaving behind.  More room in your suitcase for the new clothes you have purchased.  You might google thrift shops in some of the ports where you can donate clothes you dat want to wear any longer.

5 minutes ago, 9tee2Sea said:

Also, you might want to think about taking some clothes that you won't mind leaving behind.  More room in your suitcase for the new clothes you have purchased.  You might google thrift shops in some of the ports where you can donate clothes you dat want to wear any longer.

You’ve been reading my mind. We also have a huge thrift (consignment) store in town that I’ve staked out already. Lots of inexpensive options I can take and donate down the line. 

As for the hot and humid 🥵 canal, I’ve been painstakingly thinking (overthinking) that part, hence some of the items in Post #3. It’s this transitioning from that to this 🥶 that’s made me start this post. It’s just mind-boggling to me packing for such extremes on the same cruise! 

😁