I don’t even know how to pack for this

4 hours ago, dmwnc1959 said:

I tend to be VERY modest (almost to a fault) and my legs have never seen daylight. 😳 They’re good looking legs 😂 but I’m just super embarrassed, so have quite literally never worn shorts. So at this point I’m not wanting to scare off any people or blind them. I’ll definitely check out Dri-fit, Keen, Brooks, and Columbia websites to see what they have to offer. Haven’t heard of those brands before, so this will be fun. The fleece jacket is definitely a good idea! 

😁

My legs have not seen daylight since I was on a basketball team in 1964 .Yes,I know that basketball is normally an indoor sports but my team scrimmaged against a team visiting NY from Minneapolis in the summer.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, dmwnc1959 said:

I have a torn rotator cuff in my right shoulder that the doctors don’t want to do surgery on. Despite multiple MRIs that verify that it’s completely torn - and something that completely baffles them - I pretty much have complete functionality of that arm. I don’t dare overuse it, or do a lot of twisting and turning with heavy objects. Plan on making full use of carts and porters everywhere I go.

My son has gone through surgery for this and wished he hadn't.  But then he developed an extremely difficult infection that required a second surgery and months and months of high powered antibiotics with the possibility of losing his arm.  He is ok now, but doesn't have full functionality partly due to the amount of muscle they had to take out to try to fight the infection.

So far we are too cheap to use porters!!!  

4 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

Quick hints:

For non-delicates, when you take a shower (especially when you wash your hair), put a few items on the shower floor before starting the water.

Then let the assorted soap product(s) flow right onto those clothes.

And then... make like Lucy in the I Love Lucy "grape stomping" episode.

That is, stomp around on them, let the water and soap really get into them.

Then the reverse as you rinse off.  If the water isn't clear for the clothing, then either get some more exercise 😉 or just rinse them by hand a bit more in the shower (or tub).

Before drying... open up a couple of bath towels (ask for more if needed).  Wring by hand anything that can be safely done, for starters.  Then lay out the wet clothing, spread out nicely.  Then ROLL the clothing/towel so there is a layer of towel between every layer of clothing.

Then... take the roll, and... do a bit more gentle stomping so a lot of the water is transferred to the towel. 🙂 

There should be a little extension cord in the shower or tub to hang clothing on.

Heavy clothing may take a bit longer to dry if you are in a very humid area.

GC

I wash some things in the shower too as well as the sink and roll them in towels.  They dry very fast after some time in the towel.  I don't really wash anything large or heavy by hand though.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nebr.cruiser said:

My son has gone through surgery for this and wished he hadn't.  But then he developed an extremely difficult infection that required a second surgery and months and months of high powered antibiotics with the possibility of losing his arm.  He is ok now, but doesn't have full functionality partly due to the amount of muscle they had to take out to try to fight the infection.

That sounds exactly what I was trying to avoid, and what my doctors warned against. I’ve since been doing exercises with arm bands and standing wall push-ups to strengthen that shoulder. 

As for porters, in the past, I rarely have ever used them. This time will be different. Don’t want to show up at the ship with an injured arm. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Nebr.cruiser said:

I wash some things in the shower too as well as the sink and roll them in towels.  They dry very fast after some time in the towel.  I don't really wash anything large or heavy by hand though.

I actually saw someone doing that on a YouTube cruise video watched last night, another idea that never occurred to me in the past.

If you plan to wash clothes in your bathroom, make sure you bring hook magnets that you can hang wet shirts on hangers from the ceiling in your bathroom, or in the corner of your room. If you will have a balcony, maybe bring a few clothespins to help secure either a clothes hanger, or even pairs of socks on the back of deck chairs on your sunny balcony.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

Quick hints:

For non-delicates, when you take a shower (especially when you wash your hair), put a few items on the shower floor before starting the water.

Then let the assorted soap product(s) flow right onto those clothes.

And then... make like Lucy in the I Love Lucy "grape stomping" episode.

That is, stomp around on them, let the water and soap really get into them.

Then the reverse as you rinse off.  If the water isn't clear for the clothing, then either get some more exercise 😉 or just rinse them by hand a bit more in the shower (or tub).

Before drying... open up a couple of bath towels (ask for more if needed).  Wring by hand anything that can be safely done, for starters.  Then lay out the wet clothing, spread out nicely.  Then ROLL the clothing/towel so there is a layer of towel between every layer of clothing.

Then... take the roll, and... do a bit more gentle stomping so a lot of the water is transferred to the towel. 🙂 

There should be a little extension cord in the shower or tub to hang clothing on.

Heavy clothing may take a bit longer to dry if you are in a very humid area.

GC

You can buy travel lines, camping shops stock them or ebay and co  - basically just light weight rope that you hang somewhere in your cabin for things to dry on - along with a few pegs (what you are calling clothes pins?) and light weight things will dry

But surely you will have to plan for some sort of laundry during a long cruise - bringing 32 separate shirts is not practical??

even if you have them,  I wouldn't own 32 shirts to start with.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

If you plan to wash clothes in your bathroom, make sure you bring hook magnets that you can hang wet shirts on hangers from the ceiling in your bathroom, or in the corner of your room. If you will have a balcony, maybe bring a few clothespins to help secure either a clothes hanger, or even pairs of socks on the back of deck chairs on your sunny balcony.

I have a set bought for the last cruise. Plan on taking them with me! And I’m in a Solo Inside, but I’ll make it work with hanging the drying items. 😉

IMG_9036.jpeg

5 hours ago, dmwnc1959 said:

I’ve heard the NCL laundry service paper bags are relatively small and tear easily, and that the best way to get the most out of it is to insert a plastic bag like what you get from Walmart/Target. This will allow for more expansion without destroying the paper bag.

We used the NCL bag full for $29 and were able to fit two pair of jeans plus t-shirts, socks and underwear without tearing the bag and with room to spare. This was in February/March 2023.

NCL is very casual at dinner, no sports coat needed. A nice button shirt or polo shirt is enough. The suggestions you're getting about are great!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Kristelle said:

But surely you will have to plan for some sort of laundry during a long cruise - bringing 32 separate shirts is not practical??

even if you have them,  I wouldn't own 32 shirts to start with.

I got bored during the pandemic (was basically housebound except for my job at the VA hospital) and bought a few new shirts each month, ended up with 60 completely different shirts. I’ll probably only take maybe 20 (or so).

As mentioned in Post #1 I’ve found a laundromat in San Pedro (Day 16) where I’ll do a bulk laundry visit. Already have the route mapped from the World Cruise Terminal. It’ll be a piece of cake. 👍🏻

5 minutes ago, mammajamma2013 said:

We used the NCL bag full for $29 and were able to fit two pair of jeans plus t-shirts, socks and underwear without tearing the bag and with room to spare. This was in February/March 2023.

NCL is very casual at dinner, no sports coat needed. A nice button shirt or polo shirt is enough. The suggestions you're getting about are great!

Then I’ll definitely skip the sports coat!

Also plan on taking full advantage of the $29 Bundled Laundry Bag deal. It’ll be interesting to see you what date exactly that pops up on the itinerary. Do they announce this a couple of days ahead of time?

• Like 1

Just now, dmwnc1959 said:

Then I’ll definitely skip the sports coat!

Also plan on taking full advantage of the $29 Bundled Laundry Bag deal. It’ll be interesting to see you what date exactly that pops up on the itinerary. Do they announce this a couple of days ahead of time?

NCL left a notice on our bed the evening before. They picked up laundry that following morning and we had it back that same evening. It was after week one of a two week cruise.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, mammajamma2013 said:

NCL left a notice on our bed the evening before. They picked up laundry that following morning and we had it back that same evening. It was after week one of a two week cruise.

It would be nice if they offered it twice on extended cruises. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mammajamma2013 said:

12 hours ago, dmwnc1959 said:

It would be nice if they offered it twice on extended cruises. 

I've taken advantage of laundry bag deals on Carnival (many times) and Royal (once). I have never had to wait for a deal, just used the bag(s) provided, or asked the cabin steward for a bag and/or instructions on how to nake the deal work.

I hope you can do something like this on NCL. Good luck. 🙏

• Like 1

23 hours ago, dmwnc1959 said:

I’m not new to cruising by any stretch of the imagination, but I am booked on something that seems to be rather daunting on how to pack and prepare for: 32 nights on a cruise ship. Actually, it’s a 25-night repositioning cruise from Florida through the Panama Canal to Alaska followed by a 7-night Alaska SB from Whitter to Vancouver, doing them as a B2B. The longest cruise I’d ever done before this was 14-nights on a B2B, but that was on Princess and they have self-service laundromats.

There are more than likely going to be a lot of temperature extremes on this cruise, from possible 90° temperatures in Panama and cruising up the Central American coast, to the mid-40’s for two weeks in late-April Alaska. 

Layers, I know lol. 😉 I think I’m (dreadfully) looking at probably two suitcases. FYI I’m a 65yo mid-size guy and won’t be packing formalwear except maybe a light sports jacket. NCL does not have self-service laundry, albeit they do have a mid-cruise ‘Bundled Laundry Service’ about half-way through the repositioning cruise. And I researched how to do some laundry in your cabin’s bathroom sink. Plus one of the ports (Day 16) is San Pedro, California. I used to live in Southern California, so there’s really nothing of interest here except maybe a laundromat, which I’ve researched and found.

This has me totally baffled on how to pack for this, and I would really appreciate some insight and suggestions for those who may have also cruised very long cruises on ships with no passenger laundry room service.

😁

Wow, this is a challenging pack!  My thoughts: 

- You really don't want any shorts for the Panama portion of the cruise?  So no swimsuits either?  

- Engage the 3:1 method for your daytime wear ... for every pair of pants, bring three shirts.  I'd bring four pair of jeans /casual pants + three shirts to match each.  Lots of short-sleeved shirts that can work in Panama.  My family's from Panama, and Guayaberas are super-popular in that warm climate.  

- Add four layering items ... sweatshirts or jackets. Things that can match the pants you've already packed /cover the shirts you've already packed. 

- Dinner wear ... I'd bring 1-2 pairs of nicer pants + three dress shirts to match each pair.  Done.  No one will notice if you're wearing the same pants over and over, and classic men's dress shirts aren't much different.  Since you'll only wear them a few hours, it's not going to be a problem to re-use them.  Just hang them up nicely after each dinner.  

- Will. you need a heavy jacket in addition for the time of year you'll be in Alaska?  Gloves and hat?  

- You mentioned doing laundry in port on day 16.  If you can do a big bundle and get your pants /shirts cleaned for $30, I'd consider letting the ship do it, but -- since you know the area and aren't really into touring on that day, hitting a local laundry mat isn't the worst plan.  Do bring along a roll of quarters and some laundry sheets; that'll be a money-saver in the long run.  

- I'd bring a pair of comfortable sandals for the Panama portion + two pair of shoes (in case one gets wet).  

- As for the suitcase, you're almost certainly going to need two ... I'd try to choose one that'd stack on top of the other, allowing you to pull just one.  

- Bring a backpack for your carry on /let it double as your ashore bag.  

What a great trip you're going to have! 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Wow, this is a challenging pack!  My thoughts: 

- You really don't want any shorts for the Panama portion of the cruise?  So no swimsuits either?  

- Engage the 3:1 method for your daytime wear ... for every pair of pants, bring three shirts.  I'd bring four pair of jeans /casual pants + three shirts to match each.  Lots of short-sleeved shirts that can work in Panama.  My family's from Panama, and Guayaberas are super-popular in that warm climate.  

- Add four layering items ... sweatshirts or jackets. Things that can match the pants you've already packed /cover the shirts you've already packed. 

- Dinner wear ... I'd bring 1-2 pairs of nicer pants + three dress shirts to match each pair.  Done.  No one will notice if you're wearing the same pants over and over, and classic men's dress shirts aren't much different.  Since you'll only wear them a few hours, it's not going to be a problem to re-use them.  Just hang them up nicely after each dinner.  

- Will. you need a heavy jacket in addition for the time of year you'll be in Alaska?  Gloves and hat?  

- You mentioned doing laundry in port on day 16.  If you can do a big bundle and get your pants /shirts cleaned for $30, I'd consider letting the ship do it, but -- since you know the area and aren't really into touring on that day, hitting a local laundry mat isn't the worst plan.  Do bring along a roll of quarters and some laundry sheets; that'll be a money-saver in the long run.  

- I'd bring a pair of comfortable sandals for the Panama portion + two pair of shoes (in case one gets wet).  

- As for the suitcase, you're almost certainly going to need two ... I'd try to choose one that'd stack on top of the other, allowing you to pull just one.  

- Bring a backpack for your carry on /let it double as your ashore bag.  

What a great trip you're going to have! 

😳 Just an absolute superstar with a TON of great ideas and tips! Thank you for taking the time to detail all of this. Actually had to take a screenshot and add your post to my iPhone Note packing list.  

As a matter of fact there have been soooooo many great ideas and thoughts in this thread so far it’s like a master-class on packing.  

Bookmarked, along with another one of my favorites…

2 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Do bring along a roll of quarters and some laundry sheets; that'll be a money-saver in the long run.  

I've used Wash Eeze  laundry sheets from Amazon. They are used for both washing and drying and you can pack a few sheets (1 per load) rather than the whole box. I've found them to be very good.

https://www.amazon.com/WashEZE-Laundry-Detergent-Individual-Efficient/dp/B00C2WAX5G/ref=sr_1_6?crid=2PZZL1DVLCK89&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.h2lXH8vq4Q_838tYHHFXF8PcXSljDmXLGtCaHNGD8ru-GZmDp4OhrvOR_MdJykKRDXmG7I13XqPGnLAsuI5TgOSQi05v5EvouI7Uxp5iexark_tNDjyD8Q_ZYjgBhZtC.QPG1X2P-mtOt7c9sc6DNsSBqHPmzogs2lXfQp7ORTe4&dib_tag=se&keywords=wash+eeze&qid=1710951036&sprefix=wash+eeze%2Caps%2C209&sr=8-6

sorry for the giant link.

• Like 1

I am almost always against multiple luggages on a trip. However, over a month, in multiple climates? I would bring two, even if that's just a normal sized and a carry-on. Even if you try to wear the same things and/or get them washed, that's a lot of different things you still need to have. The $29.99 surely won't be a savings over more luggage. Especially when you consider you'll be doing it more than once. If they're going to charge $8 to wash jeans, you're not going to get a whole suitcase in for $30. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mammajamma2013 said:

These were the ones mentioned in a YouTube video, being a liquid makes it a little more attractive to me for some reason. 🤔

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00D1X2QJG/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

• Like 1

11 hours ago, dmwnc1959 said:

These were the ones mentioned in a YouTube video, being a liquid makes it a little more attractive to me for some reason. 

The link you posted is good for a sink-full only, or rather 6 sinks. The WashEZE is a sheet that is good for a washer full, or cut in half for a sinkful, or in quarters for 1-3 small items by my experience. Liquids + travelling = not attractive.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, crystalspin said:

The link you posted is good for a sink-full only, or rather 6 sinks. The Simply add 1 packet to wash 2-3 garments in a sink WashEZE is a sheet that is good for a washer full, or cut in half for a sinkful, or in quarters for 1-3 small items by my experience.

Liquids + travelling = not attractive.

I’ve seen the laundry washing sheets before on travel blogs and have been fascinated by them. And the reviews are quite good.

Being such a long cruise, with both sink washing on the ship and machine washing in port on Day 16, it might be a good idea to take a few of both types (just in case). 😉

And the item description for the Sink Suds indicates it is TSA compliant for traveling, so that’s a plus. And ‘Simply add 1 packet to wash 2-3 garments in a sink’ is about all I’d want to wash in a sink anyways. The sheets I can use for several loads at the laundromat in San Pedro. 👍

IMG_9147.jpeg

IMG_9148.jpeg

On 3/19/2024 at 3:47 PM, Nebr.cruiser said:

If you ever have a cruise that ends in Boston, I HIGHLY recommend using a porter. Totally worth the few $$ in tip. My mom and used one and he not only helped with the luggage, but (here's the worth it part) also was able to bypass the loooooooooong line of people waiting for cabs/ubers and got us into a cab right away to take us to the airport. Saved us probably 30 minutes of standing in line which would have been difficult for my mom who was 82 at the time.

• Like 2

But with as many clothes as I’m probably taking, the exorbitant cost of a per-item laundry ticket, and as few items that will likely fit into that little paper bag, I’ve researched the next best alternative and quite literally can do all mylaundry at a fraction of the cost. And I don’t even mind NOT spending a couple of hundred dollars letting NCL price gouge me. 

We have used the laundry bundle on Royal Caribbean many times for longer cruises, rather than overpacking. You can fit a surprising amount in there, if things are rolled tightly and stacked in tight. I reinforce the bag with some gaffer tape (I roll some around a pen). On RCI, the bag usually is available on the 2nd or 3rd day and clothes are returned the next day. Our steward provides another bag as needed. 

• Like 2