Is the problems in Haiti disrupting Caribbean cruises?

We're booked on the southern Caribbean cruise (12 days) that leaves Sunday 3/24.  Should we be worried about this unrest in any way? I'm hoping not to be rerouted on the way back.  The Regal Princess should be stopping at Antiga and Tortola.  Any news or opinions out there?

Posted (edited)

The only cruise stop in Haiti is Labadee, which is only used by RCI, and occasionally Celebrity.  The only other "near by" cruise stop is Amber Cove,  which is a Carnival port in the Dominican Republic.  

There is no reason to think any other country would be affected by the current unrest in Haiti. Look on a map. Antigua and Tortola aren't anywhere close to Haiti. 

Edited by mom says
  • Like 2

Even when cruise ships stopped at Labadee, it wasn’t really Haiti -rather a remote cruise line operated enclave on the north shore completely fenced off from the rest of Haiti

. I suppose there might have been some chance of gangs moving in - so it made sense to stop port calls there — small loss, it was a rather unattractive phony port - not a good beach, but some attractions - hardly any kind of real Caribbean experience

Posted (edited)

Unless you are on an RCCL or Celebrity ship that has that as a port of call on you itinerary there is no cause for any concern.  And if you do have that as a stop, your stop there is likely canceled anyway, so no concerns then either.

And Tortola and Antigua will be fine.  There is no connection between anything going on in Haiti and those islands, if that is what you are concerned about.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

Haiti shares an island w Hispaniola.  Are any of the troubles in Haiti spilling over to Hispaniola?

DON

I think you mean the Dominican Republic? The island that Haiti and the Dominican Republic share is Hispaniola.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

I think you mean the Dominican Republic? The island that Haiti and the Dominican Republic share is Hispaniola.

My mistake.  I misread the map.  The question still applies however.  Historically the Dominican Republic has always been a reasonably stable country and Haiti is always been a total mess since the day it was created in spite of everything the Western Hemisphere has tried to do to help them.

DON

Posted (edited)

The trouble in the Red Sea is with folks who have boat-sinking missiles. The trouble in Haiti is with people who have machetes. Terrible tragedy for the people of Haiti, but not a worry for cruise ships.  

Edited by wcook

42 minutes ago, wcook said:

The trouble in the Red Sea is with folks who have boat-sinking missiles. The trouble in Haiti is with people who have machetes. Terrible tragedy for the people of Haiti, but not a worry for cruise ships.  

The gangs there definitely have paramilitary weaponry, not just machetes, but I agree that they have not had access to the types of weapons that would sink ships or shoot down aircraft.

3 hours ago, donaldsc said:

My mistake.  I misread the map.  The question still applies however.  Historically the Dominican Republic has always been a reasonably stable country and Haiti is always been a total mess since the day it was created in spite of everything the Western Hemisphere has tried to do to help them.

DON

The Dominican Republic is not as stable as somewhere  imagine but it is nothing like Haiti. Haiti is a mess because of what France and the west including the US did to them. They were forced to pay reparations to France for their independence so they were always in debt. The US invaded several times. 

4 hours ago, donaldsc said:

Are any of the troubles in Haiti spilling over to Hispaniola?

DON

The short answer is no. First of all, the gangs are mostly interested in control of their own country, not the DR. Second, the DR have their forces fully mobilized along the border to minimize anyone trying to flee across it. And are actively deporting any Haitians found illegally within the DR (for good or bad).