Rescheduling a Cruise with Celebrity

Does anyone know how difficult this is?  Do they allow your deposit to transfer to a new reservation?

We have a Mediterranean cruise (our first one!)  October 2024.   We have been looking forward to this for almost a year.   And we just found out we are going to be Grandparents!  Also, our first.  Right at the exact same time.  Of course, right?  Yikes!

So of course, new grandparents want to be there for their first.  Does anyone have any advice about this sort of thing?

Thank you all!   This is a first for me!

The change fee is $100 per person, not per reservation.  We just did it  last month so we can be at out granddaughter's 10th birthday......The pricing etc will change but you don't lose your deposit.  If you used a TA call them, if you booked direct, call Celebrity.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We booked while on the Equinox then some months later learned that the dates clashed with an important family event. The Ts&Cs of our booking allowed us to rebook without charge, although our UK TA thought there was a £75 per person fee and so they had to check that with Celebrity.

Our on ship booking benefitted from the 75% reduction for the second person. Unfortunately we lost that reduction when we rebooked. Maybe that was not properly explained when we initially booked, but it was clearly stated in the paperwork.

16 minutes ago, Chanbre said:

We booked while on the Equinox then some months later learned that the dates clashed with an important family event. The Ts&Cs of our booking allowed us to rebook without charge, although our UK TA thought there was a £75 per person fee and so they had to check that with Celebrity.

Our on ship booking benefitted from the 75% reduction for the second person. Unfortunately we lost that reduction when we rebooked. Maybe that was not properly explained when we initially booked, but it was clearly stated in the paperwork.

UK rules differ from the US.

2 hours ago, Chanbre said:

Our on ship booking benefitted from the 75% reduction for the second person.

The 75% off the second passenger was the current promo when you booked and had nothing to do with booking onboard.

Whenever you move a reservation you are rebooking at the current prevailing rate and promo for the new sailing.   The only perk you maintain is the onboard booking bonus which is adjusted for the new sailing length and cabin category.

6 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

The 75% off the second passenger was the current promo when you booked and had nothing to do with booking onboard.

Whenever you move a reservation you are rebooking at the current prevailing rate and promo for the new sailing.   The only perk you maintain is the onboard booking bonus which is adjusted for the new sailing length and cabin category.

Yes exactly, and that is what I tried to explain in my post.

Babies can arrive early or late.  The child will be your grandkid forever. Unless your own child really needs you specifically to be there for some reason at time of birth, why not enjoy your planned cruise and see your grandchild right before or after, as needed. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Yes, at least with US bookings.  In essence you are canceling one and creating a new booking.  While at a higher fare differential, a refundable deposit allows you to change, modify, or cancel a booking without penalty. Any new booking created will be at its current fare and benefit value, but you will not loose any of your original deposit in doing so.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

We moved a cruise and asked our TA to request that X waive the change fee. They did! Not sure now if it was a refundable or non-refundable fare, but it never hurts to ask.

Congrats on your news! 🍾🥂

Congratulations!  We have had to reschedule 2 cruises for the same grandchild lol!

Found out our daughter was expecting around the time we were supposed to be cruising in Feb 2016 , so changed until Nov 2016.  Well baby came early - in Nov 2015!!! We didn't want to miss his first birthday so changed again from Nov 2016 to Apr 2016.  Thankfuly we have a wonderful TA who helped with all our changes.

I think this was back before there was both refundable and non-refundable deposits.  Don't remember it being an issue to change.

Definitely worth it...nothing like grandchildren 🙂  

Posted (edited)
On 3/21/2024 at 9:37 AM, ggo85 said:

Babies can arrive early or late.  The child will be your grandkid forever. Unless your own child really needs you specifically to be there for some reason at time of birth, why not enjoy your planned cruise and see your grandchild right before or after, as needed. 

Seriously?  This is a joke, right?

Edited by Rick&Jeannie

Has anyone managed to transfer the deposit to an existing cruise?

We had to miss our grandchild's birth as we were overseas and she arrived early. Came back to see her but couldn't as I'd just tested positive for Covid. In the overall scheme of life it has made absolutely no difference. But grandkids are so precious. The reward for having children 😂

1 hour ago, mets07 said:

Everyone is different.  We don't like to miss grandchildren births or birthdays either.

Go with YOUR heart and preference, @CruisinRoxy

The grandkids only remember the birthdays you are there for; and the kindergarten graduation, soccer games, football games, communions, high school graduations. Oh and the first cruise you took them on😂

6 hours ago, jelayne said:

The grandkids only remember the birthdays you are there for; and the kindergarten graduation, soccer games, football games, communions, high school graduations. Oh and the first cruise you took them on😂

It might be important to the grandparent, whether or not the grandkids can remember.

Happy cruising to you and all here. 🚢

• Like 1

Yes I will go with my heart and the more I think on it, the more I realize it’s important to me, DH and my daughter, of course. My TA has been encouraging as well.  It will be some work in rescheduling but ultimately worth it!  Thanks all!