“Live From” the Grandeur or Z and TB Live the High Life in the Caribbean!

2 minutes ago, Thundery said:

So I guess you assume your neighbours on both side will love to hear your music. Headphones maybe?

It won't be loud enough for them to hear. 

Really? Headphones or ear pods would, surely, be a safer and more sociable proposition in order not to disturb others? Just a thought.

I certainly wouldn’t want to be next to anyone who played music in their balcony - on the basis that sound travels and you can hear most conversations, even if somewhat muffled occasionally, when neighbours are on their balcony. That is unavoidable but music that is loud enough for you to hear it would carry well beyond the confines of a balcony on a ship.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Pies4u said:

Really? Headphones or ear pods would, surely, be a safer and more sociable proposition in order not to disturb others? Just a thought.

I certainly wouldn’t want to be next to anyone who played music in their balcony - on the basis that sound travels and you can hear most conversations, even if somewhat muffled occasionally, when neighbours are on their balcony. That is unavoidable but music that is loud enough for you to hear it would carry well beyond the confines of a balcony on a ship.

I second this emotion!!

Not that I owe anyone an explanation, but this will be played at volumes that we will barely hear, and we will have a 900 square foot balcony. So please focus your lectures elsewhere. 

Now, if anyone can actually answer my question....  

• Like 2

No, you don’t owe anyone anything - but thanks for providing a feasible response. Used courteously, I’d guess you are unlikely to disturb neighbours. 

In respect of your question, I can’t recall either - it may depend on ship and/or suite tbh. We were in a PH on Explorer last Oct and didn’t use/need Bluetooth speakers but genuinely don’t recall if they were there.

(We had them on SS Dawn last year for certain).

1 minute ago, Pies4u said:

No, you don’t owe anyone anything - but thanks for providing a feasible response. Used courteously, I’d guess you are unlikely to disturb neighbours. 

In respect of your question, I can’t recall either - it may depend on ship and/or suite tbh. We were in a PH on Explorer last Oct and didn’t use/need Bluetooth speakers but genuinely don’t recall if they were there.

(We had them on SS Dawn last year for certain).

We're certainly respectful of our neighbors' peace and quiet, and don't even play our television at normal volume, just in case. 

Thanks for the answers. 

Catching back up on this great trip report.  Keep up the good work!

Z, I have to agree about P7.  except for our most recent cruise on Navigator, I has been fairly hit or miss, and we generally find the steak and lobster better in Compass Rose.  However, on the recent Navigator cruise, it was exceptionally good, so much that we sought out additional reservations. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, GMIAC said:

Is there a bluetooth speaker in the suites? I was just onboard in December, but I can't remember now! I was thinking of taking a HomePod Mini with us next week so we can play some music while out on the balcony. 

In Penthouse suites and above, a Bose Soundlink Mini II bluetooth speaker in provided

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Zqueeze1 said:

Good morning!  

Another beautiful day yesterday.  As with every morning, I get up at 0600 and have coffee/breakfast with Terri and Ray at the Coffee Connection where we share our previous evening’s experiences and a few laughs.  The Boss gets woken up at 0800.  I love getting a croissant and French press coffee early in the morning.  

IMG_2314.thumb.jpeg.7cd542f05da88153f7ac1581fa7d5073.jpeg

As with most sea days, i take a couple of naps, which for me is nature’s way of smiling on me.  I love my naps.  I wrap my naps around a couple of stops at the pool bar for water, Bloody Mary, and a couple of rums.  

Evenings start at 1800 with a cocktail from Paul in the Meridian lounge where I wait for The Boss to make her grand entrance. Paul is one of the best bartenders onboard.  

IMG_2288.thumb.jpeg.db91c63ae6763e78b330f75b2cbd8e41.jpeg

IMG_2287.thumb.jpeg.9f56a2f52ba13f9774ca90cee16291fc.jpeg

Dinner last night was in Chartreuse where we were seated in the back facing the windows. 

IMG_2312.thumb.jpeg.4954c109cca19c8a3150e9aef9bb6a56.jpeg

IMG_2294.thumb.jpeg.b522b7f166279b12b3fb3637d4cadfb3.jpeg

We had the Alaskan king crab rolls

IMG_2300.thumb.jpeg.1bb15242581c7344e501116db9e6a189.jpeg

The halibut which TB declared it as one hell of a halibut

IMG_2306.thumb.jpeg.73acba1a2df4a781f987d6d08beb510a.jpeg

I also had an app portion of the very delicious rack of lamb. 

IMG_2307.thumb.jpeg.e3f7b1d0b6004d30bd4fa1cb17c1f936.jpeg

Followed by a raspberry sorbet and 

IMG_2309.thumb.jpeg.7165e6e4ef1fa225b4b8861b914d0d17.jpeg

Petite fours

IMG_2310.thumb.jpeg.82a9231adcdaeff5037c2cd5d6d50a7f.jpeg

Rant time:  I WISH PEOPLE LEARNED TO SPEAK QUIETLY IN A RESTAURANT!!!  I don’t want to hear their yapping.  His laughter was something between a needle scratching a record and a hand grenade. 

IMG_2303.thumb.jpeg.44d2c1aae5b048faaa97aa61e0c04452.jpeg

Z and TB

IMG_2301.jpeg

The other night we were sitting in Compass Rose with one table separating us from Zqueeze and TB and the occupants of the center table forgot the first lesson taught in kindergarten - inside voice and outside voice. They were so loud that any type of communication at our table was impossible. I could not agree more with Zqueeze, why some people insist on screaming and ruining everyone else's dinner is something I do not understand. We thought (and hoped!) that once their food was placed on the table, things would quiet down, but that didn't stop them. Sound seems to be amplified in Compass Rose.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, NYC-London said:

The other night we were sitting in Compass Rose with one table separating us from Zqueeze and TB and the occupants of the center table forgot the first lesson taught in kindergarten - inside voice and outside voice. They were so loud that any type of communication at our table was impossible. I could not agree more with Zqueeze, why some people insist on screaming and ruining everyone else's dinner is something I do not understand. We thought (and hoped!) that once their food was placed on the table, things would quiet down, but that didn't stop them. Sound seems to be amplified in Compass Rose.

The problem with this is that once one table starts talking loudly, everyone else has to raise their voices to be heard, and the din becomes very unpleasant. This happens all the time in restaurants, unfortunately. If everyone just spoke at normal conversation levels, the noise could be kept down. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, GMIAC said:

The problem with this is that once one table starts talking loudly, everyone else has to raise their voices to be heard, and the din becomes very unpleasant. This happens all the time in restaurants, unfortunately. If everyone just spoke at normal conversation levels, the noise could be kept down. 

I could not agree more, however it seems that the problem is pronounced in Compass Rose on the Grandeur - depending where one is sitting. One night we were sitting at a table for four and at one part of the table the sound level was acceptable but on the other side the sound level was much louder. We must have looked like children as we played musical chairs experiencing the sound differentiation from the various seats at the table.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, GMIAC said:

Is there a bluetooth speaker in the suites? I was just onboard in December, but I can't remember now! I was thinking of taking a HomePod Mini with us next week so we can play some music while out on the balcony. 

I’m in an F1 suite and there is no speaker. 

Z and TB

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Mudhen said:

Z, what was that terrific looking cocktail with the tennis ball ice “sphere “?

Looks yummy!

That is a personal concoction made by Paul.  It does not have a name.  But any drink can be made that way. 

Z and TB

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Paul Renye said:

Z, where the heck have you been all day? You were AWOL this morning at the pool bar.

Hah!   I went to the lecture and took a nap.  Pool bar at 1500 today.  Be there, bro.  

Z and TB

Good Morning!   I have a slight case of the cocktail flu this morning. I hate feeling like cr@p after drinking too much.  I actually had a quiet day consisting of seeing the future cruise consultant and listening to a wonderful lecture on New York’s harbors.  After my obligatory post lunch nap, I finally went to the pool bar at 1500 and hung out for a while with the usual suspects. 

The problem began after dinner. I met up with Lorraine the CD’s boyfriend and closed down the Meridian bar. 

Today is Charleston.  This is the place where I went from being a kid to becoming a man.  As I’ve mentioned before I went to the Citadel and I feel as if I am home.  I love this town.  We are meeting friends, who are really family, for lunch.  

Before lunch, I plan to go on campus and reminisce about days gone by. More on that tomorrow. 

We had a great dinner last night at Compass Rose which included salad 

IMG_2318.thumb.jpeg.68f64a6b7f6b39b3aa41e9e01d2c968a.jpeg

lobster tail

IMG_2320.thumb.jpeg.66661b724ef251fa156535ae022f987f.jpeg

And beef Penang 
IMG_2322.thumb.jpeg.28475bc5e6c6abe76b81822eb1872ec7.jpeg

Z and TB

• Like 9

I had the beef Penang and thought it was delicious! The New York harbor lecture was great too.  We met friends in port today and had dinner in Charleston at High Cotton. It was very good except I had to pay for our drinks and dinner! 😄😄😱

• Haha 2

Good morning! I am still under the weather but better. So, I don’t think it was the alcohol.  Not much to write about since I skipped dinner and went to bed.  However, we went to The Citadel and reminisced about the old days.  Armed with swag I bought, I dragged The Boss around campus. 

This is second battalion.  There are a total of five battalions.  

IMG_2332.thumb.jpeg.f2c4dd1a4753f802cd9654e239130576.jpeg

Summerall Chapel which is closed for renovation

IMG_2335.thumb.jpeg.77c1d46a9ae8de49a2a40987c3238c45.jpeg

A bust of General Mark Clark who was a former president of The Citadel 

IMG_2329.thumb.jpeg.a293b8e785b408e214196d35374de80f.jpeg

Indía Company of third battalion.  This was my home for four years.  I walked a hundred tours on the checkered quad which is an hour per tour for going AWOL.  

IMG_2337.thumb.jpeg.86ca79d43813a476476203324db7b19c.jpeg

IMG_2343.thumb.jpeg.00708a10068f1992c7bbe7615bb84d8e.jpeg

The bulldog mascot in front of the football stadium. 
IMG_2345.thumb.jpeg.d3ce411e6843052bb1d91aa83680f38a.jpeg

My friends who met us for lunch at the Fleet Landing.  They just finished running a ten k with 35000 participants.  

Bloody Mary time. 

Z and TB

IMG_2355.jpeg

IMG_2348.jpeg

• Like 6

On 4/5/2024 at 5:07 PM, GMIAC said:

So agree that this is annoying and can ruin others dining experience.

But what I find even more irritating is the person (usually female) who has to laugh/hoot loudly/hysterically over and over.  Nothing can be that funny all the time.

The screeching can really upset your dinner.  We have found this in all kinds of venues, too.

1 minute ago, Tsunami74 said:

So agree that this is annoying and can ruin others dining experience.

But what I find even more irritating is the person (usually female) who has to laugh/hoot loudly/hysterically over and over.  Nothing can be that funny all the time.

The screeching can really upset your dinner.  We have found this in all kinds of venues, too.

I really need to practice shooting them my icy stare, since what I'm doing now doesn't tend to work.  😄

• Like 2

There is a great skit from Monty Python with John Cleese yelling in a nice restaurant about “clever people like me who talk loudly in restaurants.” Unfortunately I’ve had to quote that line periodically although only once on this cruise. 

On 4/5/2024 at 5:44 AM, Zqueeze1 said:

Good morning!  

Another beautiful day yesterday.  As with every morning, I get up at 0600 and have coffee/breakfast with Terri and Ray at the Coffee Connection where we share our previous evening’s experiences and a few laughs.  The Boss gets woken up at 0800.  I love getting a croissant and French press coffee early in the morning.  

IMG_2314.thumb.jpeg.7cd542f05da88153f7ac1581fa7d5073.jpeg

As with most sea days, i take a couple of naps, which for me is nature’s way of smiling on me.  I love my naps.  I wrap my naps around a couple of stops at the pool bar for water, Bloody Mary, and a couple of rums.  

Evenings start at 1800 with a cocktail from Paul in the Meridian lounge where I wait for The Boss to make her grand entrance. Paul is one of the best bartenders onboard.  

IMG_2288.thumb.jpeg.db91c63ae6763e78b330f75b2cbd8e41.jpeg

IMG_2287.thumb.jpeg.9f56a2f52ba13f9774ca90cee16291fc.jpeg

Dinner last night was in Chartreuse where we were seated in the back facing the windows. 

IMG_2312.thumb.jpeg.4954c109cca19c8a3150e9aef9bb6a56.jpeg

IMG_2294.thumb.jpeg.b522b7f166279b12b3fb3637d4cadfb3.jpeg

We had the Alaskan king crab rolls

IMG_2300.thumb.jpeg.1bb15242581c7344e501116db9e6a189.jpeg

The halibut which TB declared it as one hell of a halibut

IMG_2306.thumb.jpeg.73acba1a2df4a781f987d6d08beb510a.jpeg

I also had an app portion of the very delicious rack of lamb. 

IMG_2307.thumb.jpeg.e3f7b1d0b6004d30bd4fa1cb17c1f936.jpeg

Followed by a raspberry sorbet and 

IMG_2309.thumb.jpeg.7165e6e4ef1fa225b4b8861b914d0d17.jpeg

Petite fours

IMG_2310.thumb.jpeg.82a9231adcdaeff5037c2cd5d6d50a7f.jpeg

Rant time:  I WISH PEOPLE LEARNED TO SPEAK QUIETLY IN A RESTAURANT!!!  I don’t want to hear their yapping.  His laughter was something between a needle scratching a record and a hand grenade. 

IMG_2303.thumb.jpeg.44d2c1aae5b048faaa97aa61e0c04452.jpeg

Z and TB

IMG_2301.jpeg

so agree I REALLY don't want to hear your inane conversation, why can't people realize that??. WORST is people on a phone call on speaker yelling at their phone with the other side on 10.  Pool on Grandeur multiple times from some Brit couple talking to their grandkids - who also needed chairs in the shade and in the sun, and a couple in the Veranda at lunch telling everyone their financial advisors advice.

• Like 1