Container Ship Struck Key Bridge in Baltimore, Bridge has Collapsed

The camera does pan back and forth. At the bottom of the screen is a red line. You put your curser at the end of the line, you can pull the end and reveal what was recorded earlier. there is a number displayed showing the time difference from live in H:M:s format. Also a small window pops up showing the picture at that point in time. If you press play it will pay from the point it time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BND said:

Most Naval vessels are much narrower (width to length ratio) than cruise ships. 

The Iowa class was designed as fast battleships capable of 33 knots as compared to the 28 knots of the South Dakota and North Carolina classes and the 21 knots of the old standard class battleships.  Even though the Iowas had basically the same main and secondary armaments (50 caliber 16" as opposed to 45 caliber) they were longer and had more powerful machinery than the preceding classes.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, CarpeCerevisi said:

The Iowa class was designed as fast battleships capable of 33 knots as compared to the 28 knots of the South Dakota and North Carolina classes and the 21 knots of the old standard class battleships.  Even though the Iowas had basically the same main and secondary armaments (50 caliber 16" as opposed to 45 caliber) they were longer and had more powerful machinery than the preceding classes.

Okay. My DH is a retired US Navy Captain and as a reservist had one of his Change of Commands on the Wisconsin.  Point was the ratios are different than cruise ships.

6 minutes ago, BND said:

Okay. My DH is a retired US Navy Captain and as a reservist had one of his Change of Commands on the Wisconsin.  Point was the ratios are different than cruise ships.

That was kind of the point I was going for in an obtuse way.🙂

You are correct, a higher length to beam ratio generally results in a faster ship, something that can be very important to a ship in combat or an ocean liner built to cross an ocean in as timely a fashion as possible.  For a cruise ship it's generally about fitting more cabins and attractions aboard with speed being secondary.

2 hours ago, CarpeCerevisi said:

For a cruise ship it's generally about fitting more cabins and attractions aboard with speed being secondary.

Plus add this: I thought all long, they were building these ships to make sure they suck every available dime out of your pocket while you are onboard.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Plus add this: I thought all long, they were building these ships to make sure they suck every available dime out of your pocket while you are onboard.

That is the way I feel leaving a Disney Theme Park.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Fyi, for those wondering how Norfolk plans to handle parking for multiple cruise ships. I looked at their website and it appears Carnival cruisers will use the usual Cedar Grove lot. RC cruises will use the MacArthur Center South Garage with more details to come. https://www.norfolk.gov/6030/Cruises

It also sounds like both cruise lines are running buses between Baltimore and Norfolk, so some will park in Baltimore. Best case drive between the 2 is 3 hours. Worst case is 5 hours like today.

Screenshot_20240329_143656_Maps.jpg

Edited by Redskinsfan92
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Redskinsfan92 said:

Fyi, for those wondering how Norfolk plans to handle parking for multiple cruise ships. . . . RC cruises will use the MacArthur Center South Garage with more details to come. https://www.norfolk.gov/6030/Cruises

That garage is 2-3 blocks away. When we sailed out of Norfolk, we parked there and pushed our luggage down the street to get there. That would be harder for us now and will be for many of the guests who normally cruise out of Baltimore. I’m sure they will have some shuttle buses too. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Far fewer balcony cabins on Iowa though.

The fireworks show on the Iowas is FAAR superior!!!  😁

Theron

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, DragonOfTheSeas said:

That garage is 2-3 blocks away. When we sailed out of Norfolk, we parked there and pushed our luggage down the street to get there. That would be harder for us now and will be for many of the guests who normally cruise out of Baltimore. I’m sure they will have some shuttle buses too. 

Do they not allow you to drop off the luggage at the port then drive to the parking lot?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 3/28/2024 at 5:01 PM, A&L_Ont said:

Time to fire up your camera Chief. YouTube is waiting and I’d subscribe.

Me too!

I did find another chief engineer on YouTube.  Here's a 12 minute video on how they start the engine on a cargo ship.  Spoiler: they use compressed air!

https://youtu.be/5mFmCxOjY_A?si=b9QMIje_GWf22iyA

The NTSB has, so far, posted three videos.  In one (length 7:32) you can see the bridge pavement laying on the bow of the cargo ship at about the 3:00 minute mark!

https://www.youtube.com/@NTSBgov/videos

Edited by DeltaOne

4 hours ago, TPKeller said:

The fireworks show on the Iowas is FAAR superior!!!  😁

Theron

I’m assuming you’re talking about the guns firing and not the 1989 turret explosion which killed 47 sailors.  My husband was spared that tragedy by about 6 months but he lost a lot of friends. 

3 hours ago, time4u2go said:

Do they not allow you to drop off the luggage at the port then drive to the parking lot?

Yes, they do, but there was a giant line and it was faster for us to park first and then take our luggage with us. 

• Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, vjmatty said:

I’m assuming you’re talking about the guns firing and not the 1989 turret explosion which killed 47 sailors.  My husband was spared that tragedy by about 6 months but he lost a lot of friends. 

That was a hard time in the Navy. The Navy teaches you to bond and connect with all of your shipmates.

When something goes wrong, I believe the Navy used those bonds to wish away a bad experience.

Your reflections echo a darkness around that episode and era.

My condolences to you.

After that incident, that class of battleships were quietly put to rest within years. The excuse was they were too labor intensive and the resources would be best used elsewhere. I will let it go at that.

Their lives were not wasted in vain.

Sorry for your husband's and your loss of friends.

No military man serves without the support of his wife and family.

Regards.

Edited by Engineroom Snipe
typo
  • Like 6

If we were all sitting around the Crown Lounge talking and reading the voices and body language, everything would be clear.

Reading words on a website leaves some interpretations to conjecture and misinterpretations.

No one met disrespect or harm.

I understand how this might trigger hard memories.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

8 hours ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

That was a hard time in the Navy. The Navy teaches you to bond and connect with all of your shipmates.

When something goes wrong, I believe the Navy used those bonds to wish away a bad experience.

Your reflections echo a darkness around that episode and era.

My condolences to you.

After that incident, that class of battleships were quietly put to rest within years. The excuse was they were too labor intensive and the resources would be best used elsewhere. I will let it go at that.

Their lives were not wasted in vain.

Sorry for your husband's and your loss of friends.

No military man serves without the support of his wife and family.

Regards.

Thank you, you’re right it was a very dark time and a very different time from what it is now. There was an attempt to blame a couple of sailors but everyone knew better. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

If we were all sitting around the Crown Lounge talking and reading the voices and body language, everything would be clear.

Reading words on a website leaves some interpretations to conjecture and misinterpretations.

No one met disrespect or harm.

I understand how this might trigger hard memories.

I didn’t take it as disrespect at all, and probably would have not even thought twice about it had it been any other Iowa class ship besides the Iowa itself.

On a happier note, we visited the Iowa about 10 years ago when it was docked in LA as a floating museum. They did an announcement when my husband boarded as they do for all who have served on her. He showed me the sites of all kinds of memories and mishaps…the ladder he fell down into the lower decks, the desk he was sitting on when a fellow sailor’s pistol accidentally discharged, missing his head by inches, and where in deck they did the blue nose and shellback ceremonies. It was one of my favorite tours of all time lol 

• Like 6

14 hours ago, time4u2go said:

Google off-site parking with shuttle service.

On 3/29/2024 at 7:56 AM, mo&fran said:

Baltimore port webcam is streaming live  on Youtube. I see 2 tugs with barges, one with a crane.

I find the comments extremely humorous.  One suggests getting a heavy lift semi-submersible from Rotterdam (it makes 10 knots, tops, and would take 2 weeks just to get here).  Another thinks that cutting the bow off the Dali is the way to start the salvage operation.  SMH, ROFLMAO

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, vjmatty said:

I didn’t take it as disrespect at all, and probably would have not even thought twice about it had it been any other Iowa class ship besides the Iowa itself.

On a happier note, we visited the Iowa about 10 years ago when it was docked in LA as a floating museum. They did an announcement when my husband boarded as they do for all who have served on her. He showed me the sites of all kinds of memories and mishaps…the ladder he fell down into the lower decks, the desk he was sitting on when a fellow sailor’s pistol accidentally discharged, missing his head by inches, and where in deck they did the blue nose and shellback ceremonies. It was one of my favorite tours of all time lol 

My family has a big connection with the navy also so I understand the connection with the ships and took every opportunity that I could to get aboard with my dad. A friend of mine was a corpman on Iowa when she was still in service. I had the opportunity to spend a day aboard with him. It was an amazing day that I'll never forget. That one day, and the things I got to do aboard that ship will live with me forever. I was so sad the day the accident happened. I'm happy that she is a museum and didn't get scrapped. I just wish she was here in New England. I would gladly volunteer time to her care.

• Like 2