Container Ship Struck Key Bridge in Baltimore, Bridge has Collapsed

53 minutes ago, mo&fran said:

Interesting.  Funny  that the  displacement comes from a narrow bore and long stroke.  I guess that reduces the weight of the piston itself and the rod over a wider bore and shorter stroke.

Thanks. 

Longer stroke means a slower rotation of the crankshaft.  The fixed piston rod, crosshead, and connecting rod removes the side loading that a "trunk" piston takes from the angularity of the connecting rod, so the piston does not need a long "skirt" (the part of the piston below the wrist pin) to keep it aligned with the cylinder.  A smaller bore also better ensures complete combustion across the piston face, even when the engine uses two fuel injectors.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

Throw in the rules around the Chesapeake Bay watershed and you have 5+ years.

With as long as the bay crossing discussion has been going on I would not be surprised. If the federal government truly foots the bills I'll be curious to see what happens with the tolls. If they're going to say hey we need more money now after we just rebuilt the key bridge!

Edited by death_star
Typo

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, death_star said:

With as long as the bay crossing discussion has been going on I would not be surprised. If the federal government truly foots the bills I'll be curious to see what happens with the tolls. If they're going to say hey we need more money now after we just rebuilt the key bridge!

Maryland will foot the bill for a new Bay bridge. They will issue bonds to fund it. Tolls (and taxes) will be used to pay the interest and pay off the bonds. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

On 3/27/2024 at 5:48 PM, Pratique said:

unless it turns out that all they need to do is lift a few large sections out of the channel in big pieces and there are no setbacks.

The problem is, you can't just drive a crane up and lift the pieces.

You need a floating crane.  And then that limits weight and reach to not tip over the barge the crane is on.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SRF said:

The problem is, you can't just drive a crane up and lift the pieces.

You need a floating crane.  And then that limits weight and reach to not tip over the barge the crane is on.

The steel is only one part of the problem,  there is all the pavement that has broken up and is littering the channel bottom.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chengkp75 said:

The steel is only one part of the problem,  there is all the pavement that has broken up and is littering the channel bottom.

Agreed.  I was addressing those who seem to think it is simple to just take a crane of lift off the bridge steel.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, SRF said:

Agreed.  I was addressing those who seem to think it is simple to just take a crane of lift off the bridge steel.

What did you do to the first part of my post before “unless?”

55 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Depending on the size of the debris, which can also be reduced. a dredge could clear the rubble.

dredge.jpg

Posted (edited)

Found this today.  Looks like things are starting to move. Not sure how accurate it is as it just a random guy talking, but it is interesting.

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 2

Yes, they are starting to cut and remove the north side span (outside the main channel) to allow shallow draft barges and vessels to get around to the Dali.

And, yes,  dredging will be used to clear the small debris,  but that takes time. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

Found this today.  Looks like things are starting to move. Not sure how accurate it is as it just a random guy talking, but it is interesting.

These guys are playing pick-up sticks with thousands of tons of connected steel girders which are in many cases under tremendous stress. Like trying to clear up a wood lot after a tornado, very dangerous.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, boscobeans said:

These guys are playing pick-up sticks with thousands of tons of connected steel girders which are in many cases under tremendous stress. Like trying to clear up a wood lot after a tornado, very dangerous.

This can't be easy, since the steel girders I believe are still attached to the concrete underside of the roadway............To take off the entire steel girders, those girders will also need to be cut off underwater close to the concrete roadway to lift the girders out of the water 50 ft below the surface.

3 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Yes, they are starting to cut and remove the north side span (outside the main channel) to allow shallow draft barges and vessels to get around to the Dali.

And, yes,  dredging will be used to clear the small debris,  but that takes time. 

Hey chief any idea how they'll be able to deal with the leaning containers? I can't imagine they'll be able to move much of anything hanging on the ship without securing these. Don't think they'll have anyone climb on them either to do rigging.

For those interested in following the official information provided by the Unified Command...

ABOUT THIS RESOURCE

This is a site dedicated to the handling of Key Bridge Response 2024. All information presented here is based on the available facts surrounding the incident. For the most up-to-date information and details on the different components of the response please refer to this site. This site is maintained by the Unified Command to provide information to the public on the status of the incident and response. We will continue to keep stakeholders informed through updates on this site. If you would like to receive email updates please subscribe to the incident mailing list.

https://www.keybridgeresponse2024.com/

9 hours ago, death_star said:

Hey chief any idea how they'll be able to deal with the leaning containers? I can't imagine they'll be able to move much of anything hanging on the ship without securing these. Don't think they'll have anyone climb on them either to do rigging.

I think it will be a case of removing some bridge and then some containers and then some more bridge, and so on. It will require some hands-on rigging,  but likely having one crane with a personnel basket and one crane to lift the container. The rigger will be harnessed to the basket,  but will have to walk on the containers not only to connect the other crane's lines but to also unlock the fittings that hold the containers to each other. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 3/30/2024 at 2:42 PM, smokeybandit said:

A bridge can be built in that amount of time. It happens in other countries all the time. But in America everything is made more difficult with regulations, red tape and labor disputes.

And all those regulations and red tape only increase the cost.  They do move through them quicker in high profile situations.

On 3/30/2024 at 2:43 PM, not-enough-cruising said:

Not to mention the fact that the federal government is now involved

This will also result in higher costs.

On 3/30/2024 at 12:07 PM, TPKeller said:

HAZMAT aside (probably the deal breaker for a tunnel) the Virginia DOT is in the middle of building four more lanes under Hampton Roads right now, doubling the capacity of that tunnel.

Price tag: $3.9 Billion!

https://hrbtexpansion.org/about/

Theron

That figure of $3.9 Billion is probably not far from what a new bridge would cost here.

My guess that the bridge will be completely replaced, including approach spans.  Most likely a cable-stayed design.  They could more than double the clear span between pylons for the main channel.  If I recall, the Gordie Howe bridge that is under construction, has a 2800 foot clear span.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

My guess that the bridge will be completely replaced, including approach spans.  Most likely a cable-stayed design.  They could more than double the clear span between pylons for the main channel.  If I recall, the Gordie Howe bridge that is under construction, has a 2800 foot clear span.

Wow, I hadn't heard about that one before.  Wikipedia confirms the span length, but also reports that the clearance is only 138 feet.  So if that lower clearance (Key bridge was 185) is inherent to the design, it may not be the best choice.

Theron

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TPKeller said:

Wow, I hadn't heard about that one before.  Wikipedia confirms the span length, but also reports that the clearance is only 138 feet.  So if that lower clearance (Key bridge was 185) is inherent to the design, it may not be the best choice.

Theron

No, it is not inherent to the design, just all they need there.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, h20skibum said:

And all those regulations and red tape only increase the cost.  They do move through them quicker in high profile situations.

This will also result in higher costs.

That figure of $3.9 Billion is probably not far from what a new bridge would cost here.

The Windsor bridge is a few hours away from me.  I follow a guy on Instagram who frequently posts photos of the work. Below are some of of his latest shots.

I left his info on the screen shots if anyone wants to follow his account.  Unlike Baltimore this bridge isn’t being constructed in a “hurried” fashion. 

IMG_3520.thumb.jpeg.a20cb311d00e3773b3ffb23207b62fb4.jpeg

IMG_3519.thumb.jpeg.25d6190849a6040f7fd450fa0685b496.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1