Container Ship Struck Key Bridge in Baltimore, Bridge has Collapsed

A large container ship has struck the Key Bridge just outside of Baltimore Harbor.  The bridge has completely collapsed.  Rescue operations are in progress.  The ship is jammed up against the remaining bridge structure.  The ship was outbound at the time of the collision and reportedly had a mechanical issue that took it out of the intended lane.  There was a short period of warning before the collision that allowed bridge authorities to start holding vehicular traffic. The collision was at about 01:28 AM local time and there were workers on the bridge then.  

Vision of the Seas and Carnival Legend are both home ported in Baltimore.  Both ships are outward bound now in the Atlantic, Vision to St Croix and Legend to Bimini.  Their return to Baltimore may be impacted by this event, but it is far to early to know for certain.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Posted (edited)

I pray there were no casualties.  Thank goodness there was that period of warning, although it’s reported that people and vehicles did fall into the water.  I just watched the footage.  Unbelievable!

Edited by DigiPro
Added more info on this developing story.

24 minutes ago, DigiPro said:

I pray there were no casualties.  Thank goodness there was that period of warning, although it’s reported that people and vehicles did fall into the water.  I just watched the footage.  Unbelievable!

There were work vehicles and some cars on the bridge, you can see the flashing lights before the impact. Just hoping they got out ok. 

22 minutes ago, swoopy2110 said:

They should move an Oasis class ship in to do a few sailings while they can

Not gonna lie, first thing I thought was, maybe they'll build the new bridge higher, at least. 

• Like 6

We're booked on Vision for 4 and 12 April. There are at least 7 people missing. I know they'll work to clear the channel as soon as possible.  Not sure when the Carnival ship is due in but Vision is in 9 days.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Charles4515 said:

Not possible.There would still be the Bay Bridge. 

Not to mention the months it will take to salvage all the bridge debris from the shipping channel to allow a ship to get to the cruise terminal.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 5

1 hour ago, Scottdalfonso said:

Well, a major shipping channel, which is directly used by the cruise ships, is being blocked by a bridge, vehicles and probably some bodies, sitting in the water. I think this is a little more likely to cause some major issues. 

This is a great tragedy. Been over that bridge many times and in heavy traffic. It would have been worse if it happened in daytime. 

• Like 10

3 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

This is a great tragedy. Been over that bridge many times and in heavy traffic. It would have been worse if it happened in daytime. 

I was thinking the same thing. That is a heavily used bridge.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Defender1158 said:

Vision of the Seas and Carnival Legend are both home ported in Baltimore.  Both ships are outward bound now in the Atlantic, Vision to St Croix and Legend to Bimini.  Their return to Baltimore may be impacted by this event, but it is far to early to know for certain.  

I'd say they may be re-routed to NY and bussed up to Baltimore? And if anyone has one booked out of Baltimore in near future, may wanna be looking for something else.

Now pray for anyone in the water right now...'✝

• Like 2

I am in the UK and just watched the video,  wow, looked just like a pack of cards bridge collapsing.  What is the next nearest port to off load cruise passengers if needed ? 

Hope the casualty figure is low 😔

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

Sonar detected vehicles in river. Not good.

Even at 130am there is traffic.  They are saying on our local news (Wash DC) that there is possibly a tractor trailer that went in also.  There was a work crew on the bridge at the time.  Also, just as an FYI, Vision is due to leave for drydock on 20 April.

Edited by BND

23 minutes ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

I know it sounds out there but the Battleship New Jersey mooring is available since the museum was just floated to a dry dock for inspection and maintenance. No way to get provisions onboard or luggage though

That is even further upriver, and one more bridge, than the old Philly cruise terminal at the Navy Yard.  The Kennedy had to remove most of her masts just to get to the Navy Yard.

We live in the area. Cruises out of Baltimore will have to be rerouted including all the traffic going from DC to Baltimore.  My husband use to travel this bridge many times when he was in sales .

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

That is even further upriver, and one more bridge, than the old Philly cruise terminal at the Navy Yard.  The Kennedy had to remove most of her masts just to get to the Navy Yard.

Yes, the clearance for Walt Whitman is about 137 feet.

Devastating news!

The water temperature was 10c, so hyperthermia will set in quickly!

Two pilots on the cargo ship so something seriously went wrong with the ship's navigation/steering/radar.

I'm guessing it will be many weeks before cargo ships/ cruise ships can use the docks again.

50 minutes ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

I was thinking the same thing. That is a heavily used bridge.

I was thinking this also. So many times on our drives to and from  NY to Fl we took this bridge to avoid congestion. This is so tragic, the bridge just folded like a deck of cards