Peanut Butter & Jelly

I never in my life thought I would be the person bringing food on a cruise ship, but then kids happen... My autistic eight year old has a few safe foods. Many will be available on board,  but PB&J is our go-to.

My son asked tonight if the cruise would have it.  I told him about all the good food on board,  but he asked if I could pack bread etc for him.  So I'm wondering if bread, peanut butter, and jam are available at Windjammer. I would much rather grab that in the AM than carry on food. We are on Allure if that helps. 

I’ve always been able to find peanut butter and jam. They usually have strawberry and grape. They have white and brown bread, it’s usually toasted but if you ask they will give you untoasted bread. Also try and speak with a manager in the Windjammer and explain why you’re need these things and then they will make sure your son will enjoy his peanut butter and jam each morning. 
Enjoy your cruise. 

Jenni

The fixings for a PB&J are definitely available in Windjammer. Also, while there is a delivery fee for anyone not in a suite, it's also available on the room service menu:

Screenshot_20240328-002612.thumb.png.ebfd0c9d676767a2a35634ce76b2f7ef.png

7 minutes ago, Dan83 said:

Now that song will be stuck in my head all day, lol

Believe me,  it is regularly sung at my house.  Sorry to pass it on 🙂

9 hours ago, Rubyfisch said:

The fixings for a PB&J are definitely available in Windjammer. Also, while there is a delivery fee for anyone not in a suite, it's also available on the room service menu:

Screenshot_20240328-002612.thumb.png.ebfd0c9d676767a2a35634ce76b2f7ef.png

10 hours ago, cruiselover04 said:

I’ve always been able to find peanut butter and jam. They usually have strawberry and grape. They have white and brown bread, it’s usually toasted but if you ask they will give you untoasted bread. Also try and speak with a manager in the Windjammer and explain why you’re need these things and then they will make sure your son will enjoy his peanut butter and jam each morning. 
Enjoy your cruise. 

Jenni

Thank you to both for the super helpful answers. 

• Like 1

You could also see if your son will eat Uncrustables. I am pretty sure they come in PB&J. Since they are prepackaged you would also be allowed to take them off the ship.

image.thumb.png.3c4a9cd5ac945577c00844c9ef076256.png

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, cello56 said:

You could also see if your son will eat Uncrustables. I am pretty sure they come in PB&J. Since they are prepackaged you would also be allowed to take them off the ship.

Your picture shows a box of PB&J.

• Haha 2

If he is particular about his jelly flavor you might want to bring some. It may be easier as some flavors vary. try to get it in a squeze package or a plastic bottle. You will love Allure!

• Thanks 1

Yes, but my ASD kid was unhappy with the peanut butter. I think the texture was slightly different than what he is used to. Now we travel with the small individual sizes of Jif and I grab a couple of jelly packets from McDonald's. So depending on how specific your kid is, you may want to consider bringing your own. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I like peanut butter on a toasted bagel occasionally and have never had an issue.  I see trays of white bread and whole wheat there also but never had them myself.  I've seen jelly too so as someone stated, speak to a manager in Windjammer and you should be set to go.  Happy sailing.

• Thanks 1

If your son is one of those super-picky autistic kids -- the ones for whom only the specific brand of bread and only the PB they're used to will do -- I'd bring it along.  It's not that much trouble, and it could potentially avoid a melt-down.  Make his life and yours a little easier.  

I'd consider packaging the bread in sets of 2-slices /in sandwich ziplocks, and I'd consider buying individual-serving tubs of peanut butter -- it'd be easy to carry to the Windjammer.  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Woodmnky said:

Yes, but my ASD kid was unhappy with the peanut butter. I think the texture was slightly different than what he is used to. Now we travel with the small individual sizes of Jif and I grab a couple of jelly packets from McDonald's. So depending on how specific your kid is, you may want to consider bringing your own. 

The struggle is real.  Mine won't eat the Goobers, where the peanut butter and jelly is mixed. It's amazing he can tell the difference.   Thanks for the advice.  

30 minutes ago, mac66 said:

Uhh....yes you can.

You are only allowed if it prepackaged. If you mean "youcan", well it is against regulations but I guess you can.

15 hours ago, true_grit said:

The struggle is real.  Mine won't eat the Goobers, where the peanut butter and jelly is mixed. It's amazing he can tell the difference.   Thanks for the advice.  

I have always seen a counter, usually near the omelet station, with loads of individual portions of Smucker's peanut butter, and varied flavors of jam.  All types of bread were located nearby.

21 hours ago, cello56 said:

Aren't those frozen? That could present a problem.

1 hour ago, time4u2go said:

Aren't those frozen? That could present a problem.

Will definitely be a problem. I had a friend in the hospital last year who asked me to bring her a pb&j sandwich. While I had the pb and j, I don’t keep bread in the house and didn’t want to buy a whole loaf so got her Uncrustables which was fine except they had to be consumed by the next day. 

• Thanks 1