Passports or enhanced drivers license?

54 minutes ago, notscb said:

Are you thinking REAL ID?

I can be more clear.  I am talking about all of them.  While you and I understand the difference between Real ID and EDL and their functionality differences, in regards to travel, we add in Passports and passport cards.  Hoe much mote confusing could it be to occasional travelers.  They were all trying to simplify secure.  

Instead we have one designed for air travel, one designed for contiguous birder travel (and oh by the way totally different than the other used for domestic travel).  Then the second oh by the way it is not accepted in all border states. We can wla e passports and passport cards out but they confuse it more. 

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

(and oh by the way totally different than the other used for domestic travel).

I see and absolutely agree that there is a lot of confusion for average travelers, which is absolutely why the cruise lines website must be followed to the letter.

edit: deleting the rest of the post. I see what you mean that passport cards added into the mix cause additional confusion. I never really consider a passport card a valid form of ID, but I see where some do.

Edited by notscb
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, notscb said:

I see and absolutely agree that there is a lot of confusion for average travelers, which is absolutely why the cruise lines website must be followed to the letter.

edit: deleting the rest of the post. I see what you mean that passport cards added into the mix cause additional confusion. I never really consider a passport card a valid form of ID, but I see where some do.

They all have purpose, but for the occasional traveler, it looks like a 3 card monte….

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Of trying to be put into action.  WAY behind several deployment scenarios

Can you elaborate?  I have an EDL (WA State), but I don't understand what you are trying to convey. 

5 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

I can be more clear.  I am talking about all of them.  While you and I understand the difference between Real ID and EDL and their functionality differences, in regards to travel, we add in Passports and passport cards.  Hoe much mote confusing could it be to occasional travelers.  They were all trying to simplify secure.  

Instead we have one designed for air travel, one designed for contiguous birder travel (and oh by the way totally different than the other used for domestic travel).  Then the second oh by the way it is not accepted in all border states. We can wla e passports and passport cards out but they confuse it more. 

It can be confusing mixing Real ID and EDL functions up but it's not at all confusing in trying to get one because you can't get an EDL anywhere that is not a bordering state. When I worked check in for Royal years ago, out of 1000s of passengers,  I only saw 1. It is very clear what it is and how to use it. The EDL and the Real ID don't look at all alike except for the standard DL parts. EDL is labeled as such and Real ID, as I personally have one has the star. Personally the Real ID currently is pointless but the original goal was for it to function like the EDL for those who don't live in border states. However it still has not been fully enacted and also I rather just use my passport. I also tell everyone to not waste their hard earned money on a passport card. Just get a full passport. Now THAT is a money grab.

10 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Your talk to text seems to be on the fritz.

2 hours ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

Your talk to text seems to be on the fritz.

Actually typing but on an iPhone in a parking lot waiting on wife shopping and interspersing phone calls.  Hopefully point got delivered

6 hours ago, starstruck05 said:

It can be confusing mixing Real ID and EDL functions up but it's not at all confusing in trying to get one because you can't get an EDL anywhere that is not a bordering state. When I worked check in for Royal years ago, out of 1000s of passengers,  I only saw 1. It is very clear what it is and how to use it. The EDL and the Real ID don't look at all alike except for the standard DL parts. EDL is labeled as such and Real ID, as I personally have one has the star. Personally the Real ID currently is pointless but the original goal was for it to function like the EDL for those who don't live in border states. However it still has not been fully enacted and also I rather just use my passport. I also tell everyone to not waste their hard earned money on a passport card. Just get a full passport. Now THAT is a money grab.

I get and understand the differences and the logic and rationale for all.  They do have purpose.  From the outside looking in (most travelers), something happens need wise which causes them to need to look at what their options are.  Lots of input from many sources (including here), and it looks confusing.  My original comment was really that and delays in enactment on multiple fronts, posts on delays for passports etc and it looks like a maze.  When they are in a border state, it add more confusion and can get furth complicated if that border state is not active,,,, 

7 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Can you elaborate?  I have an EDL (WA State), but I don't understand what you are trying to convey. 

I can try.  See post 2 on states where they are using EDL.  Yours is one of those.  All of the other states have not.  If someone lives in those and crosses borders they have to use passport.  They may come here and see (example) you can use your DL to cross.  They might be further confused because their state is going to Real ID for domestic travel, which WILL be needed for domestic air travel at some point but has seen delay after delay after delay.  Then they could be even further confused because when the realize all this and they cruise a lot, they decide to get/renew their passport (what we all will need at some point to do) and they get even more confused by which type to get (card or book).  Finally they get even MORE confused because they see all the delay in processing renewals and new passports.  Hopefully this all makes sense.

1 hour ago, jimbo5544 said:

If someone lives in those and crosses borders they have to use passport.

No, they may use a passport card if they choose to. I live in a border community and there are many that have those just to cross the border, it's the only type of foreign travel they will ever take. I do live in a state that issues EDL's and some people choose to use those, even though in the long run they are little more expensive than the passport card. Both EDLs and passport cards may be used for cruise travel from the US to Canada, Bermuda, Mexico and the Caribbean. Every traveler should know what documents are acceptable for the type of travel they do and choose the one that works best for them. (Of course they could just get a passport and avoid thinking about it.)

• Like 5

I never understood why passports are such an issue for people, just get a passport if you plan on leaving the U.S. My 8 y/o niece has a passport, my sister got it for her specifically for a cruise.  

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Davechipp74 said:

I never understood why passports are such an issue for people, just get a passport if you plan on leaving the U.S. My 8 y/o niece has a passport, my sister got it for her specifically for a cruise.  

Because everyone's situation is different. I can leave the US by taking a left out of my driveway and driving 8 miles. If the only foreign travel I'll ever do is crossing that border having a passport is a waste of money since less expensive alternatives are available. (I have many friends and neighbors who fit into that category. They haven't the desire or the means to travel internationally.)

When we first cruised it would have cost between $800 and $900 for passports. For a four day cruise. After doing the research we decided to not spend that kind of money since a less expensive alternative was already in our possession. We decided to wait until we actually needed passports for the travel we were doing, which wasn't until 6 years later.

When we traveled with our surrogate granddaughter on a cruise we decided that her having a passport was a good idea for a lot of reasons (including the fact that there is no blood relation between us) so we paid to get her a passport for the trip.

Everyone's travel needs are different. (And I've never understood why people get upset that some people choose to travel without a passport, since that decision has absolutely no impact on them.)

Edited by sparks1093
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Davechipp74 said:

I suspect you’ve never had to get a passport for a child. They cost $135 and both parents need to be there for the appointment. Applications need to be filled out, most appointments are during working hours. They are only valid for 5 years. It cost us $675 to get our kids passports for a 3 night cruise. It was a one and done and then they expired. Our total for passports was $1005, for a 3 night cruise.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Davechipp74 said:

My 4 y.o. Granddaughter just got hers. We are heading to Punta Cana for a week later this summer

• Like 2

22 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

OK, how many border states have it enacted? 

EDLs ONLY apply to Canada.

5 of 10 states with land borders have implemented them (Michigan, Minnesota, New York, Vermont, Washington) and 5 have not (Idaho, Montana, North Dakota, New Hampshire, Maine).

"Does the fact they have two different methodologies make sense?"

Two? I'm seeing at least 4.

ID+Birth Certificate

EDL

Passport Card

Passport Book

• Like 1

Maybe one day people will actually look at Carnival's website which has extensive information about the documents needed to cruise.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

Because everyone's situation is different. I can leave the US by taking a left out of my driveway and driving 8 miles. If the only foreign travel I'll ever do is crossing that border having a passport is a waste of money since less expensive alternatives are available.

Yep... I know more than one person who lives in Detroit, works in Windsor (thus crosses the border everyday) - and have never flown on an airplane in their entire life.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, hawkinsh said:

What about minors?  What do they need besides a birth certificate?  Can't find it on the Carnival site.

Under 16 just need a birth certificate,

• Like 1

3 hours ago, aborgman said:

EDLs ONLY apply to Canada.

5 of 10 states with land borders have implemented them (Michigan, Minnesota, New York, Vermont, Washington) and 5 have not (Idaho, Montana, North Dakota, New Hampshire, Maine).

"Does the fact they have two different methodologies make sense?"

Two? I'm seeing at least 4.

ID+Birth Certificate

EDL

Passport Card

Passport Book

One Canadian province stopped issuing EDLs because of a lack of demand. 

• Like 2