Passports or enhanced drivers license?

My family is taking a cruise on the Venezia out of NY. We will be cruising into Canada. My husband and I have passports but not sure about my other family members. Will they need a passport for this cruise or will a enhanced license work?
Thank you

• Like 1

If it’s truly an enhanced driver’s license (not REAL ID) it will suffice for entering Canada by sea.  Only 5 states currently issue EDL’s, Washington, Michigan, New York, Minnesota and Vermont.

• Like 1

You need to check with Carnival for their documentation requirements for your cruise.

It doesn't matter what you may be told on this cruise board; the cruise line has the final say.

• Like 8

As another commenter mentioned, make sure your family actually has Enhanced licenses which are different from REAL ID and only issued by select (border) states. Most folks in the U.S. don't have an enhanced license but might have a REAL ID at this point. 

This topic at Carnival will be most helpful. Follow Carnival's guidelines and you'll have a great time!

• Like 2

If your relatives live in South Carolina (as it appears that you do), they would not have an Enhanced Drivers License.  Best to make sure that they have their birth certificates on hand now, so there isn't a last minute frantic search for the documents.

• Like 5

It was real I’d I was thinking of not enhanced license. I guess my main concern was rather they actually needed a passport. I never travel without one so wanted to let them know to get one if that was the case.

• Like 1

From Carnival's website:

U.S. Domestic Cruises

For cruises that begin and end in the same U.S port, the following WHTI-compliant documents are acceptable for cruise travel. Please note that if the cruise visits Colombia or Greenland, a passport book (valid for at least six months beyond the completion of travel) is required. A passport card with the same validity is also acceptable for cruises to Colombia.

• U.S. Passport Book
  • U.S. Passport Card
  • State Enhanced Driver's License
  • Certificate of U.S. Naturalization
  • Native American Indian Card
  • US-born citizens may also use a birth certificate (issued by a government agency) and accompanied by government-issued photo ID; a Mobile/Digital version of a photo ID is not an acceptable form of identification.

15 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

If it is round-trip then a bona fide EDL will work, but then so will a birth certificate and Govt issued photo ID.

EDL has had a really checkered path…..timing included.

1 hour ago, tigger54 said:

It was real I’d I was thinking of not enhanced license. I guess my main concern was rather they actually needed a passport. I never travel without one so wanted to let them know to get one if that was the case.

Just be aware that when debarking the ship there are twp lines to clear customs. 1 for passport people and 1 for ALL Others. The passport line was 1/5 the line of the other and we where able to clear customs a LOT quicker. I'll bring mine for this reason alone when we sail Venezia in Aug.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, phoneman69 said:

Just be aware that when debarking the ship there are twp lines to clear customs. 1 for passport people and 1 for ALL Others. The passport line was 1/5 the line of the other and we where able to clear customs a LOT quicker. I'll bring mine for this reason alone when we sail Venezia in Aug.

At some some point, they will need to force a decision as to what is acceptable.  It is clear, passports are a better control, and that is what it is all about.  

• Like 5

passports are a better control, and that is what it is all about. 

Agree...Passports work for every situation and there is no worrying or thinking about it.  We have always used ours for domestic flights, cruising, driving to Canada and Mexico and international travel abroad.  Second nature without any thought if its right or wrong.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

40 minutes ago, tigger54 said:

Thanks everyone. Are cruise is not until September so I will suggest to everyone that they should get a passport.

Fantastic plan! There's plenty of time as applications are turning around much faster these days.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tigger54 said:

Thanks everyone. Are cruise is not until September so I will suggest to everyone that they should get a passport.

Do not get the passport card as there is a false impression it is the same as a passport book. The book is the gold standard for travel to most countries.

• Like 5

50 minutes ago, Potstech said:

Do not get the passport card as there is a false impression it is the same as a passport book. The book is the gold standard for travel to most countries.

But for an extra $30 we always get it in addition to our passport book.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Of trying to be put into action.  WAY behind several deployment scenarios

I think you are also confusing EDL and REAL ID.

EDL has been out and working for years.

• Like 3

Just now, jimbo5544 said:

True.  Has it been deployed in 50 states?

EDL was never intended to be in all states.  Only border states.

REAL ID is supposed be enacted in all states.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, SRF said:

EDL was never intended to be in all states.  Only border states.

REAL ID is supposed be enacted in all states.

OK, how many border states have it enacted?  How many border states have not implemented it?  Does the fact they have two different methodologies make sense?  Do you think the public is/will get confused?  Is there a better way?

46 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Have you ever used it?

Not me but some if my young adult kids have. My son flew down to SC to celebrate his 21st birthday with his twin and lost his drivers license. Another sibling was flying down the next day and brought him his passport card (really didn’t want him carrying his passport around at the bars). My kids have misplaced their licenses before and it’s nice to have a backup, especially since this age group needs ID frequently. $30 over 10 years, worth it to me.