No means No

1Virgo

1 hour ago, BeasleysMom66 said:

I don't know about the nunchucks but when it comes to the handcuffs some of those "pineapple" people (and non-pineapple) are into some weird stuff.  😈😈  Just sayin......

Nah.  I prefer the bunny fur-covered handcuffs.  Just sayin.... 

• Haha 7

13 hours ago, Travelling2Some said:

Yes, the woman was a quilter and going on a cruise with a lot of sea days.  They do make mini sewing machines that are very portable.  I wonder if it was confiscated or not.

We were on a TA once with many, many quilters who ALL brought their featherweight machines. They were given a conference room and allowed to keep their machines set up for the entire cruise. They even arranged a day when other passengers could tour the room to see their projects.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

I guarantee you that if we could we would bring a rice cooker.  

Totally get it, daughter would not have survived USNA without her smuggled miniature rice cooker.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, 1Virgo said:

just back from Ascent.  This is the first time we have seen a long table set up for people after cruise to retrieve their confiscated items, and some were disgruntled. These are a few of what we saw:

..Clothes Steamers, doesnt matter what size or how tiny, dont bring them (lots of those)

..Irons.   full size and small

..a Panini/waffle maker.  yup. Not new or in a box

If it says don’t bring, not allowed, follow the rules. No means no.  

Cruise awesome. Cannot say enough of how great the staff were.  

We were on a Royal Caribbean cruise, many years ago now, where they were both confiscating Clothes Steamers upon boarding and selling them in the gift shop. Nice racket they had going.

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Mark_K said:

We were on a Royal Caribbean cruise, many years ago now, where they were both confiscating Clothes Steamers upon boarding and selling them in the gift shop. Nice racket they had going.

I read that as if they were selling the confiscated steamers in the gift shop! 😂 

Our most recent trip was a month long, visiting  Singapore, NZ and Oz. Only 10 days of that were on the cruise and I considered taking a garment steamer for the land portion of our trip, knowing it would be confiscated whilst on the cruise. In the end, I didn't but wonder whether those bringing banned items are of the same mindset. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, cruisegirlppp said:

Totally get it, daughter would not have survived USNA without her smuggled miniature rice cooker.

I love this because I'm the daughter of a USMA graduate!!!!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mark_K said:

Gee, kind of like the way they will confiscate liquor so they can sell it to you for only $59 a day per person;)  Try that at a hotel on land!

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Mike981 said:

I have a friend who lives in a HOA in Nevada and he calls them, FIP's. Formally Important People.

They have several folks who used to work in Silicon Valley and they all believe they know computers better than anyone else, so the lovely computer room they have set aside sits empty. PC/Mac/Linux, they can't come to any common ground so they just gave up.

It is a lovely place, but when he told me that story and the effort it took for him to be able to get approval for a 3x3 piece of Astro turf for his backyard, I knew that HOA's were not for me or my wife.

Some people love communities with HOAs.  I avoid them like the plague.  I hadn't heard the FIP label before - kinda like it, but my experience the one time I lived in a townhouse with a HOA was that the board members were generally people who desired power and liked telling other people what they could, and couldn't, do. Patrolling the community for violations was an enjoyable pastime for them. Not my kind of people - not my kind of community. I know many feel differently. jmho

Edited by mnocket
  • Like 3

For years people used the excuse that they can't bring formal wear because of the airline charging to check a bag. It amazes me that they have no trouble packing rice cookers and crockpots.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

On 4/2/2024 at 12:08 PM, mnocket said:

Some people love communities with HOAs.  I avoid them like the plague.  I hadn't heard the FIP label before - kinda like it, but my experience the one time I lived in a townhouse with a HOA was that the board members were generally people who desired power and liked telling other people what they could, and couldn't, do. Patrolling the community for violations was an enjoyable pastime for them. Not my kind of people - not my kind of community. I know many feel differently. jmho

Our HOA isn't horrible, but typical example is, you have to paint your mailbox every year or so.  A few years ago they went after your shutters.  You were told you could get them painted or get them replaced under warranty.  I had to do a bit of homework since we are 2nd owners.  And it wasn't like anyone's shutters looked bad.  The HOA just decided they didn't look "good enough".

I wish our HOA set the dress code rules for the restaurants on board.  😁

On 4/1/2024 at 5:29 PM, keesar said:

I wonder why someone would bring nunchucks or handcuffs on a cruise?

I swear, the handcuffs were not mine (ex cop here.)

That said, I do still carry them in my car.

On 4/1/2024 at 8:38 PM, BeasleysMom66 said:

I don't know about the nunchucks but when it comes to the handcuffs some of those "pineapple" people (and non-pineapple) are into some weird stuff.  😈😈  Just sayin......

When did handcuffs become considered weird? Are riding crops considered weird now too?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, RedIguana said:

When did handcuffs become considered weird? Are riding crops considered weird now too?

They aren't.  EONS ago I had a real pair that I used as a belt buckle.  My uncle the cop gave me a set.  When I had them in a carry on when flying for vacation the TSA guy stopped me and whispered asking if I had handcuffs in my suitcase.  I told him yes.  He was shocked I said yes and asked why.  Me:  recreational use.  He turned BEET red and made me check the bag because they could be used to disable flight crew.  Weird is in the eye of the beholder.  

Posted (edited)
On 4/1/2024 at 5:59 PM, DaKahuna said:

I went through the same thing with my wife the first time she was served minute rice. You can also imagine the results I received when I made Rice-a-Roni for a meal one time.  Never made that mistake again. 

This isn't meant as a slight to your wife but as a first generation Chinese American my immigrant parents, despite have come to America in 1956, seem like many Asian immigrants very set in their ways when it comes to food. My parents still won't eat white chicken meat or turkey since there's less taste than dark meat. I 100% agree that rice, for instance, is never prepared properly on a cruiseship but that doesn't mean I can't eat rice prepared differently or eat something else entirely. The same can be said about so many cuisines. There are many ways to prepare things. Just look at American Barbeque. There's dry, there's vinegar based, there's tomato sauced based, etc. So just because one 'grows up' with vinegar based barbeque shouldn't mean that you refuse to eat any other type of barbecue. Most of what Americans call Italian food is American Italian food. Even moreso with American Chinese food. You can go on with every type of cuisine. My point in this is if one is so fussy in eating habits that you can only enjoy food that's only cooked exactly the way you want it to be leads to alot of unhappiness and missed opportunities to experience food cooked DIFFERENTLY than your own expectations. 

Edited by kwokpot
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
On 4/1/2024 at 1:19 PM, DaKahuna said:

I guarantee you that if we could we would bring a rice cooker.  The one thing we have not really been able to find is good steamed rice.  My DW is Japanese and even with Tea Forte being available onboard, we still bring our own green tea.   The first thing we ask for when we meet our stateroom attendant / butler is for a water kettle to make hot water.  Not a day goes by we do not use it. 

I was wondering about this.  So the steward can supply water kettle to make hot water?  I too am from Tokyo and normally travel with my stash of green tea. As long as there is a water kettle I bring good quality Doutors one cup coffee strainer with coffee of my choice when traveling. Makes decent coffee.  I also travel with packets of soy sauce because I sometimes like soy sauce over hard cook egg or poached egg and I can’t see cruise ship dining area with soy sauce for breakfast.  

Edited by rinshin

During covid I got in the habit of keeping little pepper packets in my purse since the shakers had been taken away in most places.  I was finding that when I would ask for pepper they would often take so long bringing it that my food was cold.

4 hours ago, rinshin said:

So the steward can supply water kettle to make hot water?

They have provided them for us upon request.   We normally ask that the coffee maker be stored away and the kettle put it its place. 

We drink AGF Maxim Instant Coffee.  I have a pour over kit and a manual grinder but I find I can survive with instant in the room and the ship's coffee with Bailey's elsewhere on the ship. 

5 hours ago, rinshin said:

I also travel with packets of soy sauce because I sometimes like soy sauce over hard cook egg or poached egg and I can’t see cruise ship dining area with soy sauce for breakfast.  

I'd be willing to be that if you asked for it, they would find some and provide it for you.  I always ask for Tabasco with my eggs for breakfast. 

• Like 1

What a wonderful entertaining topic that has become- very funny, indeed. Even though I can imagine why bring that thing to get more outlets- but the other... hm- maybe cruise lines should printing that they offer cruises and not time on a camp ground. Well handcuffs... but that´s a different story alltogether...!